• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Silent Hill 3 - The Next Remake?

SCB3

Nah they need to Remake the original faithfully not that trash.
Don't get me wrong it had nice ideas but nah.
Oh I agree, its like MGS Twin Snakes is not a remake of MGS but a reimagining

I see why 2 got a remake now, but yea 1 would be nice

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Isn't Shattered Memories the 1st game remade?
It's a reboot and also a remake and also a sequel. Also a great game

I'm not fully into remaking any of the Silent Hill series, mostly because those games are too much a product of a lifetime, and the main four have some profound shit that we still discover to this day

Remember, you can paint a really nice super real landscape. But Van Gogh's landscapes paintings are his and only his

SCB3

Just fought the boss in the mall and honestly, these puzzles so far are obtuse as fuck, I only have it on Normal as well, then fell down the fucking ladder twice

Onto a Subway area, I swear I've seen this part before, it feels very familar

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Naked Lunch

and the shitting on the classics of yesteryear continues...
Lets give Blooper and all these other unheard of devs full reign to ruin the SH Legacy. Enjoy.

Excoman

Banned
Snake backflips onto a fucking missile during a Hind D fight, thats not in MGS 1
Those things were in cutscenes, and IMO, were improvement; they actually showed what Solid Snake was actually capable to do, considering what kind of monsters he defeated.

Anyone able to face Gray Fox bare handed, or Psycho Mantis should be able to do at least that, no matter how ridiculous it may seem.

Director of TTS definitely took some freedom with cutscenes, but we would probably have something similar in original game if technology was advanced enough.

That said, I was talking about gameplay parts only.

And yeah, I do wish for a new MGS1 remake, since many years passed since TTS as well.

Last edited:

chaseroni

I've been playing SH3 on PCSX2 and with some upscaling the game still looks really great!

Runs great on Steam Deck btw

z4DAv8j.jpg
gS1NTyI.jpg
pAOnRi3.jpg

Excoman

Banned
I'm pretty sure SH3 is Itos favorite. He also had another monster designer working with him for SH3.

This isn't really reply only to you, and your post, but now that you mentioned monster designers, is is really impossible to at this point to invent a monster as memorable, and/or interesting as Pyramid Head?

Isa

Nice that's on my to do list after finishing up 2, I've been running through it with my girlfriend. The first two were the only two I finished but I owned the first 4. I've been wanting to go back and play the others but I'm missing a few in my collection.

tommib

Unpopular opinion, I think 3 is quite shit coming from 2 and the original SH. The whole American mall setting is lame compared to the previous games and I never cared about Heather. You definitely feel the series coming to a stop and deteriorating. Great music and graphics but that’s about it.

SCB3

Unpopular opinion, I think 3 is quite shit coming from 2 and the original SH. The whole American mall setting is lame compared to the previous games and I never cared about Heather. You definitely feel the series coming to a stop and deteriorating. Great music and graphics but that’s about it.
I think coming from how good 2 is, really hurts 3

kunonabi

I think coming from how good 2 is, really hurts 3
Eh, SH2 is great but a lot of its weaker points are improved on and SH3 does a lot of brilliant things on its own. It easily has the best protagonist of the franchise and arguably horror games in general. Well, in the original version anyway. It's still my favorite of the series personally. It doesn't work well as a stand alone title which is rough on people who jumped in late but there are some amazing moments and emotions it can play with because of it too.

EDMIX

The Twin Snakes is almost 1:1 remake with MGS2 gameplay.

Agreed.

I don't know why folks thing that term is some either or.

A remake, can be 1.1, it can be a reimagining, it can be more spiritual and change other aspects etc It is being remade regardless, the how doesn't change that its a remake and I'm not really sure why folks don't fully understand that lol
Snake backflips onto a fucking missile during a Hind D fight, thats not in MGS 1

You don't need to agree with HOW its being remade.....but it was remade made....doing something different like that is part of that "re" in the make bud. So yes, its not the original MGS1, thats why its called a remake of it =)

Those things were in cutscenes, and IMO, were improvement; they actually showed what Solid Snake was actually capable to do, considering what kind of monsters he defeated.

Anyone able to face Gray Fox bare handed, or Psycho Mantis should be able to do at least that, no matter how ridiculous it may seem.

Director of TTS definitely took some freedom with cutscenes, but we would probably have something similar in original game if technology was advanced enough.

That said, I was talking about gameplay parts only.

And yeah, I do wish for a new MGS1 remake, since many years passed since TTS as well.

Agreed.

I think RE2002 will likely be the first remake of a remake, but I think MGS1 might very well be the first 2. We'll see. Could happen with Konami actually giving a fuck to outsource this shit lol

SCB3

So the Subway, I both Love and Hate this area, its a great horror setting and its complex and confusing layout works well, its just so empty though, maybe I'm being spoiled by RE but there is a lot of doors and areas where there is no reason or need to be there and nothing to pick up at all.

The Train was cool but I felt like it needed a boss or a tougher enemy encounter here, there was what 4 Enemies here that were pretty easy to take down

Drizzlehell

Banned
How about we see if SH2 remake is good first, huh?

I've been actually replaying the HD remasters this weekend and they're still such an engaging experience with its own unique flavor. I have zero faith that they're gonna be able to replicate this weird, Lynchian, dream-like and unnerving atmosphere of the original SH2 in this remake. Even in that trailer that they've shown, it's already apparent that James in this new version is way too dramatic and emotional instead of being this completely disconnected person who had an occasional but very subtle outburst of anger because that was the whole fucking point of this character. He was not supposed to be this violent, emotionally distraught maniac who screams at everything. It feels like it will somewhat diminish the impact of the scenes where characters were actually supposed to have a genuine outburst of emotions, like Maria did in the hospital basement scene.

God, this remake is gonna suck so hard.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
The Twin Snakes is almost 1:1 remake with MGS2 gameplay.
Not exactly. While it was fucking awesome to play through these locations and bosses with MGS2 gameplay and graphics, the cutscenes look like they've been directed by Paul WS Anderson and the new music is vastly inferior to the original soundtrack, which made for like 50% of the game's atmosphere.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The amount of people who don't realise that the LTTP topic means a game I'm currently playing through and not me asking for a remake already is alarming lol
Then why did you phrase the title in a way that's obviously suggesting that SH3 should be the next one to get a remake?

Also, you're doing yourself a disservice by playing the HD Collection if this is your first time playthrough. The voice acting in those versions is atrocious, especially in SH3 where you can't even pick the original VO.

SCB3

Also, my god are the sewers tedious, this game has some great settings but man does it not capitalize on them, a haunted Construction site seems fun but its over in about 10 mins for some kind of business offices, still the outside scaffolding area was cool, reminds me of SH1 and its top of building boss fight

SCB3

Then why did you phrase the title in a way that's obviously suggesting that SH3 should be the next one to get a remake?

Also, you're doing yourself a disservice by playing the HD Collection if this is your first time playthrough. The voice acting in those versions is atrocious, especially in SH3 where you can't even pick the original VO.
To act upon the pun that SH2 is getting a Remake?

And yea I do have the Original game and a PS3 that can play it, but the HD collection is on Xbox Series X and I have that set up right now, I may go back to the Original to check it out, but it is what it is right now

Doom85

3 is my personal favorite of the series. Heather is my favorite lead (yes, James is the most complex, but I just like Heather more with her snarky attitude and other elements), a great supporting cast particularly Douglas and Vincent, it’s just flat out the scariest to me (2‘s final area, the hotel, didn’t scare me much, and even with the Historical Society it was more the concept of this never ending descent that was scarier to me than the actual place), the music is top notch, it actually does have plenty of psychological symbolism and such (pregnancy, stranger danger, rape, etc.) that seems to go over the heads of even some of the more hardcore fans, and by god the graphics were just insane for the time it came out.

Don‘t get me wrong, 2 is pretty close behind it for me.

Drizzlehell

Banned
3 is my personal favorite of the series. Heather is my favorite lead (yes, James is the most complex, but I just like Heather more with her snarky attitude and other elements), a great supporting cast particularly Douglas and Vincent, it’s just flat out the scariest to me (2‘s final area, the hotel, didn’t scare me much, and even with the Historical Society it was more the concept of this never ending descent that was scarier to me than the actual place), the music is top notch, it actually does have plenty of psychological symbolism and such (pregnancy, stranger danger, rape, etc.) that seems to go over the heads of even some of the more hardcore fans, and by god the graphics were just insane for the time it came out.

Don‘t get me wrong, 2 is pretty close behind it for me.
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. Silent Hill 2 is kino, but I always found SH3 to be a more visceral and relatable experience thanks to its awesome and endearing protagonist and great supporting cast. It's even down to the subtleties, like those little bits of internal dialogue that Heather has when you interact with the objects in the world. James was always a bit matter-of-fact-y with his dialogue but when you interact with stuff as Heather, she will always have those random comments that were totally fitting for her character.

And yes, it's an incredibly scary game compared to SH2. I never really hesitated to press on while playing SH2, mostly because the monsters in that game weren't that scary and they posed little-to-no threat as enemies. But in SH3 I often had these moments where I was like "I can't do this anymore, this is too much" because I was so petrified of what might be lurking behind the next door. It's definitely my favorite game in the series to replay.

SCB3

Just entered the Daisyville apartments and yea this is starting to pick up in the right direction, I liked the puzzles in the section before and although easy to get lost, there does feel like a nice nudge in the right directions at times (though figuring out how to make a trash can fire in front of a painting had me stumped for a bit until I found a matchbook)

My only real complaint is the lack of save points but its nothing major and I've not died in either this or SH2 yet for it to be an issue

SCB3

omg the Hospital areas are incredible, the texture design on the breathing, bleeding walls are fantastic on the HD collection, so I image on the Original they'd be very impressive

SCB3

I see Silent Hill 1 and 3 and “mythology” and Silent Hill 2 and 4 as “monster of the week”
Playing this now and I agree, a lot more in common with 1 than 2 had, I wonder if 2 started as a different game and was then retro fitted into Silent Hill after the story was written, although I only played through 2 once, there wasn't a lot of the cult stuff (apparently there is on further playthroughs?)

SCB3

The Amusement Park is definitely the highlight of 3, I need more Horror games like that (and not shit like FNaF) on to the Church and the end of the game!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Silent Hill 3 is a good Silent Hill, a very good Silent Hill actually and I think it's a great follow up to the original.
I think the original town could have been used more. But overall it's still top tier.
But Silent Hill 2 is just a different beast which is hard to follow.
Silent Hill 4: The Room however...
I don't think the budget was there and I understand what they was going for but the whole first person stuff just weighed it down.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
1 is the most atmospherically unsettling
2 is the best overall
3 is my favorite
4 is the worst thing to come out of Japan since La Blue Girl

Homecoming looks cool, plays like Flight Crash Simulator.

Origins got the OG gameplay down pat, but the game looks like sin spread on chlamydia jelly and the story takes a Straight Jacket acidic barf all over the TS Canon.

Shattered Memories is like a demake of Alan Wake and is a remake of SH1 the same way as steaming piles of shit are Remakes of dinner last night.

Downpour was...a thing. Felt like a budget studio made a Clone of a horror game that wasn't Silent Hill. Wasn't bad, but it was super boring.

SCB3

And finished, one thing I like is that they're not overly long games so they don't outstay their welcome, I finished 3 in less than 6 hours and it was a blast, definitely both entering my top 10 horror games. I enjoyed 2 more for its story though

Again as I said earlier, SH2 feels like it was made not as a Sequel to SH1 but rather retro fitted in, 3 is very much a sequel to 1.

Anyway, what is next?

I do own the GoG version of 4: The Room and I've heard mixed opinions on it, I also own the Xbox version but I don't think its BC on Series X, still it being Halloween month, still feeling some horror but unsure what to try, any suggestions?

Technically unplayable on PC as they're not available Digitally and are known to be bad ports
eBay sellers be asking house prices for PC copies of Silent Hill games because they know there aren't digital releases. GOG does have Silent Hill 4 and Steam has Silent Hill: Homecoming but that's about it.

Top Bottom