• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: SOLO: A Star Wars story - not that bad

GreyHorace

But not that good either IMO. Just watched this and I have to say at how okay it was for a Disney Star Wars movie. That said, it's still kind of bland and not as exciting as it could have been.

1180w-600h_051618_solo-meet-the-characters-780x440.jpg
\

The action was nicely done as expected of a Star Wars movie, but the story and plot are kind of all over the place. If I were to enumerate my problems with the film:

Han Solo is not interesting - This right here is the biggest problem. Han by far was the best character in A New Hope, but in his own solo film (pun intended)? I just don't get the point why we should give a shit about this guy. Alden Ehrenreich I think is fine in the role and he does get the cocksure swagger right. But he's just not as charming as Harrison Ford.

They really should crafted a better story as to why Han Solo became the smuggler turned rebel we all know and love.

A pointless love interest - I just don't get the point about Emilia Clarke's Qi'ra. Is she in love with Han or will she betray him in the end? I just didn't care for her character or what their relationship meant to the story.

Too many goddamn characters - There are too many characters to follow and the film just jumps all over the place to give focus on them all. I really wished the movie had just focused on Han and Chewbacca and how their lifelong friendship came about. Maybe even add Lando (well played by Donald Glover) into the mix, though you could keep that annoying droid well away.

It feels way too rushed - We just rush from one big set piece to the next with barely any room to breath. Slow down a bit goddamnit!

Why is everything so dark? - Dark as in everything looks dimly lit. This is a setting with brightly lit spaceships. You can put some extra lights to brighten things up so audiences can see shit goddamnit!

So yeah. I found Solo: A Star Wars story to be "okay" bordering on "meh." It could have been so much better if it didn't have the behind the scenes drama regarding it's production like it did.

Orenji Neko

Why is everything so dark? - Dark as in everything looks dimly lit. This is a setting with brightly lit spaceships. You can put some extra lights to brighten things up so audiences can see shit goddamnit!

When watching in theater I thought that something was wrong with projector because of this。Watch あat home and surprised to see it look the same。

Agree on movie being o。k。and could have been better or had potential。

Halcyon

I think solo is better than rogue one and they are both better than 8 and 9. That being said I think they're all generally bad. The only star wars that matters has been clone wars and mando within the last 10-15 years.

Cocksman

It’s... fine. I mean the explanation about why his last name is Solo and how he got his signature blaster is totally unnecessary. And dumb. but the set pieces are cool and I popped for Maul.

This movie probably would have been better received as a D+ mini series.

Super Mario

Banned
If it wasn't titled Solo, with all of the supporting cast fed to us, you would have never have known it was about Han Solo. The character was nothing like him.

The SJW content was overwhelming too. Of course the plot involved a white man, on his yacht, stealing from natives. A strong female bot that wanted equality. Puke.

With that said, otherwise, the movie wasn't bad

MrMephistoX

But not that good either IMO. Just watched this and I have to say at how okay it was for a Disney Star Wars movie. That said, it's still kind of bland and not as exciting as it could have been.

1180w-600h_051618_solo-meet-the-characters-780x440.jpg
\

The action was nicely done as expected of a Star Wars movie, but the story and plot are kind of all over the place. If I were to enumerate my problems with the film:

Han Solo is not interesting - This right here is the biggest problem. Han by far was the best character in A New Hope, but in his own solo film (pun intended)? I just don't get the point why we should give a shit about this guy. Alden Ehrenreich I think is fine in the role and he does get the cocksure swagger right. But he's just not as charming as Harrison Ford.

They really should crafted a better story as to why Han Solo became the smuggler turned rebel we all know and love.

A pointless love interest - I just don't get the point about Emilia Clarke's Qi'ra. Is she in love with Han or will she betray him in the end? I just didn't care for her character or what their relationship meant to the story.

Too many goddamn characters - There are too many characters to follow and the film just jumps all over the place to give focus on them all. I really wished the movie had just focused on Han and Chewbacca and how their lifelong friendship came about. Maybe even add Lando (well played by Donald Glover) into the mix, though you could keep that annoying droid well away.

It feels way too rushed - We just rush from one big set piece to the next with barely any room to breath. Slow down a bit goddamnit!

So yeah. I found Solo: A Star Wars story to be "okay" bordering on "meh." It could have been so much better if it didn't have the behind the scenes drama regarding it's production like it did.

It honestly felt like the Clone Wars movie: an extended series premiere building up to the full thing. I’m hoping Lando is basically just that a long serial with the same cast.

i liked it more than most of the sequels, prequels and Rogue One. The main Han Solo actors probably the worst part unfortunately. Everything else is fun. Lando, Woody Harrelson and thandie newton are good

GreyHorace

If it wasn't titled Solo, with all of the supporting cast fed to us, you would have never have known it was about Han Solo. The character was nothing like him.

That's one of the biggest issues I had. With all the supporting characters on deck, Han kind of gets lost in the shuffle. The movie really should have just focused on him and Chewbacca and how their friendship began.

solo-a-star-wars-story-film-poster-han-chewie-and-the-millennium-falcon-banner.jpg

Look at The Mandalorian. It's huge success owes itself to how focused Jon Favreau and company were to developing the relationship between Mando and the Child. Solo should have gone with the same approach.

https%3A%2F%2Fdorksideoftheforce.com%2Ffiles%2Fimage-exchange%2F2018%2F08%2Fie_56016-850x560.jpeg

The SJW content was overwhelming too. Of course the plot involved a white man, on his yacht, stealing from natives. A strong female bot that wanted equality. Puke.

That droid was fucking annoying. Good thing they killed it. And I'm kind of disappointed that those marauders are just a bunch of pseudo rebels. They should have been faceless bad guys up to the end and Han should have found a way to screw them over by turning them and the Crimson Dawn against each other. Like in Kurosawa's Yojimbo.

i liked it more than most of the sequels, prequels and Rogue One. The main Han Solo actors probably the worst part unfortunately. Everything else is fun. Lando, Woody Harrelson and thandie newton are good
They were way more interesting than the main characters, which is a problem. I really think Harrelson's Beckett should have been the main villain. Paul Bettany's Dryden Vos was just too meh as a main baddie.

And I knew the movie was in trouble when after Thandie Newton's character and that four armed pilot were killed. They were far more interesting and memorable than any of the new characters introduced.

And yes, Donald Glover's Lando basically steals the movie. I was really impressed with him.

Fbh

It was Ok. Liked it more than the main sequel trilogy but less than Rogue One.

IMO it just focuses too much on explaining and showing everything they felt was iconic about Han, and cramming it all into a single movie.

mickaus

My Dad saw it and liked it. The sequel trilogy just soured my appetite for new star wars though so I'll skip it.

I saw it a few months ago and was surprisingly disappointed. It was more boring than Rogue One.

At least Rogue One had a spectacular last 45 minutes or so.

Worst Star Wars movie imo.

Was the only one of the new SW movies I didn't watch at cinema, because I hated TLJ so much. But after watching it at home I felt kind of bad for boycotting it.

Easily better than TLJ and tRoS, and en par with Rogue One.
But after watching the Mandalorian, it's still kind of poo, like everything done after 1983.

Nice cast, though. Ehrenreich was cool as Han.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Got round to watching it recently. It has its moments, but it isn’t something I feel like I need to still have on disc after watching it once. It wasn’t horrible, but it didn’t blow me away.

Having said that, I don’t think any Star Wars movie has been excellent. I think I like the rest of the universe more than the movies.

nush

Gold Member
The only thing I liked in the movie was the Kessel run and Donald Glover. Everything else was poor.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I can only hope d+ gets desperate enough to release the original cut of Solo (id like to see the first print of rogue one as well) as it was supposedly an entirely different movie. Maybe thke the snyder JL will prompt that type of thing.

Alx

I thought the movie skipped over all the parts that could have been interesting about the character. His growing up on his home planet, his time in the empire army... at best cliff notes. Instead we get most of the movie about a heist plot. Eh.

sono

Gold Member
Hope it's ok to bump this older thread. I am watching this now for the first time. I went in with low expectations but I am blown away at how good it is.

I guess I'm the minority but I found it to be the worst Star Wars movie. The Obu Kenobi show was worse but that's a television series otherwise Solo was just pretty bad enough to be the worst film in the series for me, even worse than Last Jedi.

And man what is Disney's obsession with that ginger girl?

jason10mm

Gold Member
And man what is Disney's obsession with that ginger girl?
You mean this girl?

dtDfCrJ.jpg

She is a quadruple checkmark. Redhead, minority (close enough for government work, anyway), female, and gay, I think. Cast her and you clear half the list!

No idea why they have her in so many projects, but at least in Willow she holds her own. Was she on one of their tween shows? They definitely stick to that crowd if at all possible.

Tams

You mean this girl?

dtDfCrJ.jpg

She is a quadruple checkmark. Redhead, minority (close enough for government work, anyway), female, and gay, I think. Cast her and you clear half the list!

No idea why they have her in so many projects, but at least in Willow she holds her own. Was she on one of their tween shows? They definitely stick to that crowd if at all possible.

Willow is shit, and she's one of the worst parts of it. More wooden than Daisy Ridley.

As for Solo... it had some great moments and I enjoyed it when I saw it at a cinema. Though I did go in with exceptionally poor expectations. It could have covered more of his past though, as others have said.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You mean this girl?

dtDfCrJ.jpg

She is like on the Disney contracts of old. Where she is in everything. A mouscateer. Like Annette funicello

They lost me at the Han/Chewie shower scene.... like why? Otherwise it's just a run of the mill heist movie with some memberries sprinkled about and never really establishes anything that would lead into the OT.

Top Bottom