• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Spider-Man Miles Morales

Humdinger

I thought I'd share my impressions after completing Spider-Man Miles Morales earlier today.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It was an entertaining ride with sharp graphics, good combat, impressive effects, likeable characters, and a decent story. I probably put 12 to 15 hours into it. I completed all the side missions, did all the crimes at least once, hit the max level, got all the upgrades. However, I left most of the miscellaneous activities undone.

Pros

1. The combat was a lot of fun. At times, my hands got sore. I got my ass kicked at first, because I'm old and couldn't remember all the moves from the 2018 game (this one just sort of throws you into the action), and because I hadn't gotten my powers yet. After I got my powers and the muscle memories started coming back, I got into the rhythm of combat, and it was fun. Near the end, I relied a lot on stealth, though, rather than charging into a room full of baddies. It took longer and diluted the action, but stealth was too effective to pass up.

2. Pretty good story. It's in the superhero genre, so it's very plot-driven, not too concerned with characters or motives, beyond the basic stuff needed to move the plot forward. I think of it as "popcorn entertainment," equivalent to watching a summer blockbuster. It's fun, but it doesn't really mean anything. That's okay. Not everything has to be meaningful. Sometimes you just want to be entertained. The game delivers in that way.

3. I appreciated the way they streamlined the side-activities this time. In the 2018 game, I felt like there was an absolute glut of boring side activities. Here, there were only a dozen or so. Granted, I didn't do them -- partially because I remembered how boring the side activities in the 2018 game were -- but I did notice there were fewer.

4. I enjoyed the side-missions. I played through all of them. They were simple, but they had plenty of variety.

5. I liked Miles as a character. I've heard others complain about him being too whiney or too much like Peter Parker, but those things didn't bother me. I saw him as being in the Spider-Man tradition -- an incredibly well-intentioned, somewhat awkward kid with a penchant for science and tech.

6. Graphics, effects, and movement were all slick. Combat was made a lot more impactful by the venom attacks. I also enjoyed just swinging through NYC more this time. It felt like a more well-realized city.

7. I appreciated the shorter length. After spending hundreds of hours in open-world games, I needed a tight, linear, story-driven game like this.

Cons

No major complaints. Just a few niggles.

1. Phin's motivations didn't really add up for me. I didn't find her actions believable. Also, some of Miles' behavior towards her, especially near the end, didn't make much sense, either. Oh well, I'll chalk it up to young kids in love.

2. There are nearly 40 different moves in the game (not counting all the air tricks). That's too much for my old brain to store. I never used some of the moves, because I didn't remember them. I guess it's nice to have all those options, but it was a bit much for me.

That's about it. I enjoyed the game. I'd give it an 8.5. I don't feel a desire to replay it at the moment, but I might run through New Game + sometime in the future.

Pimpbaa

I like that it takes place during the holidays. When I played it last year, I would try to find the areas with the best Xmas decorations and lights. Last big game to do this was Arkham Origins (I think), underrated game although a bit buggy.

Shubh_C63

I literally finished it yesterday and it is definitely a better game than the original. The story pacing is tight and the combat frantically better. Setting is also gorgeous.

Spiderman 2 is going to be so good it scares me sometimes.

I also finished it recently for the first time. I thought it was pretty weak. VERY short (13 hours playtime with nearly 100%), bad story, and overpowered abilities make it inferior to Pete's game IMO.

The best part of the game is the Bodega Cat outfit, but you unfortunately can only get it when you're already done with the game lol
oQFGa5S.jpg

Humdinger

Nice suit.

I agree that the game is short. The saves don't show how long I played (is there another way to access that info?), but I'd estimate I played about 12 hours. If I had paid full price for the game, I might have felt cheated, but I didn't; I only paid $20. For $20, 12 hours is fine with me. I also knew going in that the game was short -- reviewers and gamers had pegged it at about 8 hours -- so the brevity wasn't an unpleasant surprise. In fact, that's one reason I chose to play it. After the time sinks I'd been playing, I wanted a relatively short, streamlined adventure.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
First play through earlier in the year I thought it was average. The gameplay was good, as you’d expect, but everything else turned me off.

I played it again last month to get the platinum trophy, and skipped the skippable cutscenes. It made the story a lot more bearable, although I wish there weren’t some unskippable cut scenes.

I don’t know how anyone can praise the performances or writing in this game, I thought it was dreadful, but to each their own.

Humdinger

Updating thread after playing through New Game +. OP here.

New Game+ was great. Lots of fun, great graphics.

2491.jpg

Last edited:

Vick

As someone who generally despise (with passion) every single superhero movie that is not Nolan's Batman, Ang Lee's Hulk, Raimi's first two Spider-Man, Logan or The Boys TV series..
I loved Marvel's Spider-Man. Got the Platinum for it and then spent an awful amount of additional hours in it.

Then bought Miles Morales, played for about 4 or 5 hours and dropped it. Never picked it again.

I thought the story was pretty mediocre, the villain is of course a super genius despite being
a high schooler
, and like most modern action movie tropefests, seems to receive zero damage from massive falls, super-powered punches, and damage of any other kind despite not being a super-powered individual. Also has the ability to do martial arts for whatever reason, despite being a supposed high school genius. Though it came after, it comes across in the same vein as Forspoken.

The game itself is more of the same, that is a fun core game. You can tell that there's not much meat here because Insomniac doesn't even give you enough Skill Points in your first play through, so they want you to play through it multiple times to pad out the length.

Humdinger

I really enjoyed the game. Sorry you didn't get into it.

I enjoyed it even more the second time through.

Last edited:
Top Bottom