• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Star Wars: Fallen Order - yeah, it's fine

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Star-Wars-Jedi-Fallen-Order-second-sister.jpg

So after EA Access going into Game Pass, I immediately download it and go to play. I already played before, but was like an hour or so...

The campaign is very straight forward, and it could work more if wasn't so controversial. You have your guy, and he was at the Jedi training thing and he learned a lot. Then he needs to remember all this stuff "in the right time". It bugs me when the game does that because just doesn't make any sense to you character remember in the convenient time. Also, the story is not that great and has some stuff to connect with the movies, but if you try to connect yourself, doesn't add any value whatsoever to the films - Rogue Squadron did way simpler, way better and way before.

The mechanics are kinda nice. The Souls playstyle is fine, but you always wish the combat should be more faster. One on one battles are nice (with some buggy exceptions), but if has two or more enemies, the game becomes messy and you kinda cheat the way around with it - it bugs me that the I.A. is really weird. Some explosive attacks from enemies affects other enemies, but some don't. Also, even thou you could master your way into the skill tree not long before the end, some stuff (like a fucking strong attack) doesn't make any sense to have on it - you pick secret things that raise your lifebar, but you also raise on the skill tree... Go home, director, you're drunk

For those who played Force Unleashed, this game is too amateur. The world is fancy, but not that fancy. Stages has big maps, but not well connected and without fast travel. Combat has style, but doesn't have weight. Kudos for cosmetics extras... Far from great, it tries (sometimes too hard) to be the children of Metroid with the Souls games, and it kinda delivers. But it's just fine. Maybe could be better if have more time of development. Who knows? Excellent for Game Pass thou.

mickaus

It’s crazy that modern Star Wars games are still behind the games of 10-20 years ago. The new Battlefront 2 and fallen order are good but still lack in complexity compared to games like Battlefront 2 (early 2000s) and the force unleashed games. It’s also telling that a remake of Kotor is being asked for when it is perfectly possible for there to be a new RPG created, but instead the older game is prioritised. I think there is too much priority on glossy AAA games for Star Wars when there should be more focus on a complex and story rich AA game instead.

sobaka770

Banned
I agree, it's a solid game but not exceptional. It's only great considering that EA was sitting on Star Wars license for years without a proper Single-player SW game and it does everything well enough.

If it wasn't star wars this would've been a very mediocre metroid-like dark souls of war mash-up. Story is just ok, map backtracking is pretty useless, pointless cosmetic collection, undercooked combat. It's just fine. However as it sold well and the base is there maybe Respawn can bring it home in part 2 or whatever sequel they end up doing.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
It's definitely nothing like Force Unleashed, but it's nice in its own way. I loved the opening, hated the next mission, and liked the next one again. Quite uneven, but still something I'm coming back to.

fatmarco

I'm genuinely amazed people rate Force Unleashed over Fallen Order. Awful gameplay plus awfully cringe story and characters. It had great tech but that's about it. It was bad in comparison to previous star wars games when it came out and its still bad now. Fallen Order at least didn't make the grievous error of making Vader a weak chump to some new made up character.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Fallen Order is a good game, but I feel like the license kind of holds it back in some ways. I really wanted some more options for fighting but you were limited to jedi shit. I'm not big on Star Wars but eh, in this game it all feels kind of corny.I did enjoy exploring the planets but usually all you get from the exploration is some cosmetic you can't even see anyway (customize your lightsaber, who cares).

It looks amazing on a good PC, and the sound is great.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Star-Wars-Jedi-Fallen-Order-second-sister.jpg

So after EA Access going into Game Pass, I immediately download it and go to play. I already played before, but was like an hour or so...

The campaign is very straight forward, and it could work more if wasn't so controversial. You have your guy, and he was at the Jedi training thing and he learned a lot. Then he needs to remember all this stuff "in the right time". It bugs me when the game does that because just doesn't make any sense to you character remember in the convenient time. Also, the story is not that great and has some stuff to connect with the movies, but if you try to connect yourself, doesn't add any value whatsoever to the films - Rogue Squadron did way simpler, way better and way before.

The mechanics are kinda nice. The Souls playstyle is fine, but you always wish the combat should be more faster. One on one battles are nice (with some buggy exceptions), but if has two or more enemies, the game becomes messy and you kinda cheat the way around with it - it bugs me that the I.A. is really weird. Some explosive attacks from enemies affects other enemies, but some don't. Also, even thou you could master your way into the skill tree not long before the end, some stuff (like a fucking strong attack) doesn't make any sense to have on it - you pick secret things that raise your lifebar, but you also raise on the skill tree... Go home, director, you're drunk

For those who played Force Unleashed, this game is too amateur. The world is fancy, but not that fancy. Stages has big maps, but not well connected and without fast travel. Combat has style, but doesn't have weight. Kudos for cosmetics extras... Far from great, it tries (sometimes too hard) to be the children of Metroid with the Souls games, and it kinda delivers. But it's just fine. Maybe could be better if have more time of development. Who knows? Excellent for Game Pass thou.

I got annoyed with the AI cheating and just played on the easiest difficulty until I had more of the skill tree then slowly bumped it up, but it wasn't until near the end. They were trying to make you feel like you have a journey I think because when you have that move that pulls the small enemies in that combat becomes a bit trivial.

I thought the backgrounds were amazing, some of the best UE4 stuff I've seen. I was really disappointed with how 1440p looked and then I went to 4K + 30 + TAA + Sharpening and the amount of extra detail was insane, looked like super detailed concept art. The game had massive input lag even at 60 so it wasn't really a massive deal, got fully used to it after an hour or so after playing at 60 fps for 2 hours.

What did you play on?

Kuranghi

Fallen Order is a good game, but I feel like the license kind of holds it back in some ways. I really wanted some more options for fighting but you were limited to jedi shit. I'm not big on Star Wars but eh, in this game it all feels kind of corny.I did enjoy exploring the planets but usually all you get from the exploration is some cosmetic you can't even see anyway (customize your lightsaber, who cares).

It looks amazing on a good PC, and the sound is great.

I wish you could do what you do in Jedi Outcast where you absolutely spong them everywhere. It looks like Deathloop will scratch that itch nicely though, albeit in FPP.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
👏lightsabers👏cut👏almost 👏anything👏

Lightsabers are bad-ass killing tools and the Disneyfication of Star Wars means that they cant get the fundamentals of the game right straight from the drawing board. If I cant dismember and maim then I dont want it.

Romulus

Lol at all you fuck nuggets who think that Force Unleashed was good.

KoTOR.
Rogue Squadron games.
Outcast.

Thats it. Fucking fight me I'll kick all your asses

This. Force unleashed is trash. Let's just hit a stormtrooper 30 times with a lightsaber, m-m-monster combo!
Might as well use a baseball bat.

Plantoid

It's one of the best games I played recently, the souls like combat fits in perfectly, but lots of things to improve on the sequel

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I got annoyed with the AI cheating and just played on the easiest difficulty until I had more of the skill tree then slowly bumped it up, but it wasn't until near the end. They were trying to make you feel like you have a journey I think because when you have that move that pulls the small enemies in that combat becomes a bit trivial.

I thought the backgrounds were amazing, some of the best UE4 stuff I've seen. I was really disappointed with how 1440p looked and then I went to 4K + 30 + TAA + Sharpening and the amount of extra detail was insane, looked like super detailed concept art. The game had massive input lag even at 60 so it wasn't really a massive deal, got fully used to it after an hour or so after playing at 60 fps for 2 hours.

What did you play on?
Series X. It was 30fps locked, so this is kind of a bummer

Yeah it was fine.
Quite buggy and it really should have some fast travel points. It's really tedious to find all the secrets and collectibles, because the map is a bit confusing.

Plays nice on PS5 with 60fps and that ending 👍🏻

Kuranghi

Series X. It was 30fps locked, so this is kind of a bummer

Can you play it on a PC? I can give you my settings if you want, it involved quite a bit of jiggery pockery but now I know what to do I can explain it to you in a short PM. Maybe it won't be as relevatory for you as me if you aren't on a >50" 4K TV but if you are then I highly recommend it.

The game really came alive at 4K native for me, but aliasing on plants and stuff was still horrendous so I used the in-game TAA which beautifully fixes that but at the cost of quite a bit of sharpness in the image, its still the best option though because even if you render the game at 8K it will have that aliasing. I'd normally never say stuff like you NEED to play it in X resolution to see its full glory but in this game they packed in SO much fucking detail to the textures, even at a distance that its well worth it and I believe internally they were targetting native 4K for the art, 60fps be damned.

You can use Nvidia or AMD's driver based contrast adaptive sharpening to fix that though, then it looked like a new game. In fact I can show you how to edit the UE4 ini files and use the UE4 built-in sharpening which is even better because it does it before the TAA pass, I didn't know about ini editing to get that at the time though so used the Nvidia sharpening.

In fact, you've convinced me to buy it in the EGS sale right now and do another quick playthrough of the main quest, but this time armed with my new UE4 ini editing knowledge, holy shit thats gonna look amazing.

GreyHorace

People are comparing Jedi Fallen Order to The Force Unleashed?

giphy.gif

The Force Unleashed (TFA) is pretty much a meh title for me. I couldn't even be arsed to finish it after the second level. It doesn't feel like a Star Wars game. It's a subpar Devil May Cry clone set in the Universe.

Jedi Fallen Order, despite some hiccups, is a great game and a true Star Wars title. It's got the look and feel of the Universe and it's lightsaber combat is light years (pun intended) ahead from TFA's lame melee system or even Jedi Outcast's clunky combat. And I don't get people's complaint about the story being by the numbers. I thought the story was fantastic and had all the markings of a mythic hero's journey that Star Wars is known for. And Cal Kestis and the rest are some of the best new characters introduced to the canon.

Hostile_18

Banned
It's definitely nothing like Force Unleashed, but it's nice in its own way. I loved the opening, hated the next mission, and liked the next one again. Quite uneven, but still something I'm coming back to.

I had a similar experience. The opening level was immense then it dropped me in a marsh land which looked very samey. Going to keep going though!

Bridges

Just finished this pretty recently. I went really back and forth on whether I was enjoying it. I disliked how much of it felt like Uncharted, crawling around on big rocks and ledges with no hazards, it's never been engaging for me. The combat was fun, especially on the Jedi Master difficulty where you could really get punished for your mistakes (though I had to turn the difficulty way down in the second to last boss fight, shit got impossibly hard). The force powers were probably the coolest part, had they not been in the game I doubt I ever would've finished it.

Overall I determined that I did like it, and that like Assassin's Creed this is probably the rough draft that ends up really getting perfected in the sequel. Some of it's pretty rough but Respawn is very talented, and given it's their first go at this type of game it was a solid result.

SCB3

Really good game, I loved it so much it was my GotY last year, I do wish there was less backtracking and the story was a bit better, but I loved my time with it

FunkMiller

They should have had the stones to have only one difficulty. If you’re going to rip From Software off wholesale, at least carry it all the way through.

ruvikx

Banned
Doesn't Series X offer a 60fps mode? I thought I saw that in Jeff Grubb's XsX BC video.

On the Xbox One X, there's a performance mode & a quality mode. So it's pretty much guaranteed the performance mode on Series X is 60 fps via backwards compatibility (it didn't maintain a solid 60 fps on the One X).

I'd be super surprised if that's not the case.

Great Hair

Banned
IIRC don´t bosses teleport their attacks, even if you have dodged them before? like they would turn 180º and still hit you. This game was more parkour than anything else, with some really weird enemy spots like two storm-troopers between and other dumb spots.

$30 title at best.

Bryank75

Banned
The combat of Academy and Outcast should have been kept and iterated on.... it was brilliant in duels and added some strategy, style and individualism to the game.

I know it's not quite as flashy as the combat in FO but it has way more depth.

DonJorginho

Banned
This is the most mid game I have played in a long time, everything is okay, nothing more, nothing less. 6.5/10 all the way, nothing is beating The Force Unleashed let alone the Jedi Knight games.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
There's a saying in my country: "Those who do not know God, will pray to any saint."
CHAD Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy > Virgin Fallen Order.

Trilobit

What in the whole world is this game? I've been stuck on Zeffo trying to get back to the Mantis after the main mission and there's just no sense to it. Then I go to youtube and see a 20min tutorial just for that, to continue the story. Amusing comments though, some lad had spent 2 hours trying to get to the ship. Also it's wildly uneven in difficulty. One moment you're breezing through all kinds of storm troopers and then a goat appears and just relentlessly headbutts you into oblivion.

It's so much fun, but I just can't believe what I'm playing at times. It feels like they put a lot of effort in this game, but didn't have proper time to polish it and playtest it. Gorgeous though, I sometimes just stop and take in the scenery. Y'know, when I'm not, with frustrated tears in my eyes, trying to find my way back to the one place I can call home.

Edit: In comparison to Force Unleashed the combat system feels like C-. FU was just amazing in how it made you feel like you had total control over your powers(albeit overpowered).

Last edited:

intbal

Planet traversal, specifically the "getting back out" part, was definitely a design flaw of this game. It's fine if you've already played it once, but how many people tried it out on Gamepass and gave up halfway through the first planet? I got it in a bundle with my One X, so I eventually convinced myself to continue playing it after a long break. It does get better the further you progress. It just has a poorly designed first 1-2 hours.

Trilobit

I like it very much for what it was. Jedi Academy and such is still of course my favourite action SW game, and KotoR my favourite in game story. But Fallen Order did try to do its own thing and the characters grew on me despite the main character being a wet cloth.

And Trilla was an excellent antagonist. She was so attractive with her Indian looks and Sithy attitude. Mmm...those dark eyes.

44a489444f5277c901fa54f8559925d5c884837br1-737-707v2_uhq.jpg

But the ponchos, what the heck?!

What a shitty game for me. Haven't finished yet the game, I'm very disappointed. Also it's full of bugs. Very poor quality on everything. The real protagonist is the little Droid. The combat sucks. Why every game should incorporate dark souls elements (and in a bad way) this days? It does not fit with jedi things.

Top Bottom