• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars Saga [Updated as I watch]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffy

With Disney in control now, I wonder if we'll ever see the unaltered, or have they forever been lost to history?
Perhaps not from Disney, but they haven't been lost to history. Dedicated fans have moved on from upscaling Laserdisc masters or making restorative fan-edits and are now working on scanning and color-correcting original 35mm prints. They are relentless.

Look, you're a new fan, there's one thing you must know.

The prequel hate is just ridiculous, see the people disecting the Maul fight while giving Vader vs Obi Wan constant passes and excuses.

You won't change their minds, on one has in 16 years of the exact same argument about dancing, the reviews and emotional fights, and In expecting the same for episode 7

This also applies to prequel fans hating on the clone wars and rebels, and EU fans hating on the new novels, just roll with it.

I agree with you completely on every point you've made

Agreed. I tend to just ignore it now. I am just looking forward to the new films ^^

Perhaps not from Disney, but they haven't been lost to history. Dedicated fans have moved on from upscaling Laserdisc masters or making restorative fan-edits and are now working on scanning and color-correcting original 35mm prints. They are relentless.

Awesome. I wonder why Disney doesn't jump on the opportunity...

You won't change their minds, on one has in 16 years of the exact same argument about dancing, the reviews and emotional fights, and In expecting the same for episode 7

Why are you expecting the same for Episode 7? I doubt many fans are that jaded that nothing can compare with the OT( well maybe some, but not all). Clone Wars CGI show has a lot of content on par with the very best the series has to offer, and that's a PT spawned product.

With Disney in control now, I wonder if we'll ever see the unaltered, or have they forever been lost to history?

Even the National Film Registry doesn't have original version of Star Wars.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/08/the-star-wars-george-lucas-doesnt-want-you-to-see/379184/

But fans aren’t the only ones who want Lucas to release the original. Curators at the National Film Registry picked the 1977 version of Star Wars to preserve for history’s sake, but they still don’t have a copy in the registry. When they asked for a copy, Lucas refused, saying that he would no longer authorize the release of the original version. The Library of Congress does have a 35mm print of Star Wars, one that was filed in 1978 as part of the movie’s copyright deposit, but the registry, where films are meant to be preserved for history, is still without one.

Meowster

I hated Yoda fighting in the prequels, such a far cry from the majesty of his character in Empire and Jedi.
It looks tacky now but it was an awesome sight when I was a little kid. I think he was handled much more tactfully in ROTS where he and Palps fought primarily through the force.

Fj0823

Why are you expecting the same for Episode 7? I doubt many fans are that jaded that nothing can compare with the OT( well maybe some, but not all). Clone Wars CGI show has a lot of content on par with the very best the series has to offer, and that's a PT spawned product.

Did you see the crossguard meltdown?

Im sure that`s not the only "Risk" they`ll take with this movie. even if we already know how the story plays in the spoiler thread, there are lots of stuff they could add or scenes that can play that will get nitpicked, slow-mo`d, reviewed and gif'd into oblivion, just because "ITS DIFFERENT FROM THE OT!!". Hell the midichlorians were 3 freaking lines across 3 movies and look at what happened!

I`m sure stuff like this:
anigif_mobile_1198f18bb1dcaf3f3727d4863c44180b-1.gif

Is only the beginning of the memes, the gifs, the "reviews" and all the crap that will come if episode 7 dares to be it's own movie and not a nostalgia fanwank

Just like this is:

"meltdown" seems to be a bit of an overstatement. There were people being dumb, but the worst that came of it was a segment on Colbert Report that ended up clowning the entire idea that there was a "controversy" about it at all.

Im sure that`s not the only "Risk" they`ll take with this movie. even if we already know how the story plays in the spoiler thread, there are lots of stuff they could add or scenes that can play that will get nitpicked, slow-mo`d, reviewed and gif'd into oblivion, just because "ITS DIFFERENT FROM THE OT!!". Hell the midichlorians were 3 freaking lines across 3 movies and look at what happened!

I`m sure stuff like this:

Is only the beginning of the memes, the gifs, the "reviews" and all the crap that will come if episode 7 dares to be it's own movie and not a nostalgia fanwank

Just like this is:

Personally speaking I think the new saber design is cool, but hey Star Wars fans are a rabid fanbase. The crossguard may very well wind up justifying its existence in the film, we'll seen soon enough.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Clone Wars is going to be enough of a timesink as it is. Don't feel like you need to check out the publishing side. Or hell, even Clone Wars. You don't need to check out any of this shit after the movies, honestly. It's there if the universe has so grabbed you that you're willing to enjoy (usually) lesser-quality trips back into that universe through differing media, (although the Clone Wars series - both of them - are genuinely very good) but you absolutely do not need to go into that particular publishing forest unless the film's worked on you so well that you'd rather allocate time you'd otherwise spend on some other series, or book, or game, towards the Star Wars expanded universe.

Even in the case of the new canon, the most common best-case scenario is low-grade methadone high compared to the heroin hit of Empire Strikes Back.

I bought Aftermath, only because it's post RotJ. I'm feining for information on what happens after RotJ. lol

Time to get hyped for the Special Edition.

As for figures, I totally would have bought this R2D2 scale figure if it were fifty bucks cheaper.

That R2.. Hnnng.

sphagnum

Banned
I just finished Lost Stars this evening and I think that's another book you might be interested in, Ray Wonder. Most of the book takes place during the Dark Times and the Galactic Civil War, but the last few chapters take place post-Endor. It's definitely a book written for the young-adult-romance audience but it's done very well and ends on a very open note with a lot of potential for future stories.

Ray Wonder

I just finished Lost Stars this evening and I think that's another book you might be interested in, Ray Wonder. Most of the book takes place during the Dark Times and the Galactic Civil War, but the last few chapters take place post-Endor. It's definitely a book written for the young-adult-romance audience but it's done very well and ends on a very open note with a lot of potential for future stories.

Well the ratings on that one are way better than Aftermath lol. I probably will grab it.

I'm almost finished with it - it's really great. Possibly my favourite of the new novels so far.

Ray Wonder

Not going to watch the RLM reviews?

There seems to be a lot of them, and they're pretty long. I don't know if I care enough what RLM thinks about them to dedicate that time to listening to their complaints. lol. Maybe.

ZeroCDR

There seems to be a lot of them, and they're pretty long. I don't know if I care enough what RLM thinks about them to dedicate that time to listening to their complaints. lol. Maybe.

Maybe watch the first 10 minutes of the Episode 1 review and see if it's your thing, I couldn't stop watching when I started lol

Ray Wonder

Maybe watch the first 10 minutes of the Episode 1 review and see if it's your thing, I couldn't stop watching when I started lol

Ok, I'll give them a try at least. I've been watching a ton more random Star Wars related video as of late any ways.

Atrophis

You should definitely watch them. They do a fantastic job of breaking down how the PT fails in comparison to the OT. Funny as hell to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom