• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars Saga [Updated as I watch]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Take in consideration that with V and IV I basically knew the whole thing before watching it. Which made me more so just sitting through them to see the journey. Even then they were great movies.

Toxi

Banned
Glad to see you loved this one OP. Good to see this end on a movie you liked instead of Attack of the Clones.

My personal ranking

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones

The saber fights in this were great. Grievous not only looks badass by himself, but with four lightsabers? Fuck yeah. I dig him.

I'm going to watch the animated series, but I won't update this as often. Maybe after each season.
Okay, you think Grievous is cool in the movie? You're gonna love him in both Clone Wars animated series. Especially the Genndy Tartakovsky series.

Meowster

V > IV > III =/= VI > I >>> II

My boyfriend's rating after watching the saga for the first time: VI > III > IV > V > I > II

Ray Wonder

Glad to see you loved this one OP. Good to see this end on a movie you liked instead of Attack of the Clones.

My personal ranking

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones

Okay, you think Grievous is cool in the movie? You're gonna love him in both Clone Wars animated series. Especially the Genndy Tartakovsky series.

Grievous was pretty damn cool.

V > IV > III =/= VI > I >>> II

My boyfriend's rating after watching the saga for the first time: VI > III > IV > V > I > II
That's damn close to mine too.

Ray Wonder

Oh I have a question.

Who would suggest I watch the two episodes of Clone Wars (That come before the movie) before I watch the movie?

Or should I go through them in release order?

The boyfriend's rating is yours.

I have Empire over New Hope. :)

VI > III > V > IV > I > II

Someone's going to post those shit-ass jpegs that tell you the "correct" way to watch the Clone Wars. They're wrong. They're not very good suggestions, but they're super shareable because you don't have to think, you just have to copy+paste an image link.

I'd suggest you watch the Tartakovsky Clone Wars (available on YouTube) and then, basically... Just start in the Clone Wars. Skip the animated movie. It's garbage. Worse than Attack of the Clones.

The best advice I think I can give (I mean, I have my own list of "preferred episodes", if you want) is simply to read the descriptions of the arcs as you're about to hit play on Netflix. If an arc description doesn't seem all that interesting to you, skip it. You can always go back later if you liked what you did watch.

I have Empire over New Hope. :)

VI > III > V > IV > I > II

Yeah, well, I'm old.

Toxi

Banned
I'd suggest you watch the Tartakovsky Clone Wars (available on YouTube) and then, basically... Just start in the Clone Wars. Skip the animated movie. It's garbage. Worse than Attack of the Clones.

The best advice I think I can give (I mean, I have my own list of "preferred episodes", if you want) is simply to read the descriptions of the arcs as you're about to hit play on Netflix. If an arc description doesn't seem all that interesting to you, skip it. You can always go back later if you like what you did watch.
Bobby's got it right. Watch 2D Clone Wars, skip the CGI movie and head straight into the CGI series.

Meowster

Grievous was pretty damn cool.

That's damn close to mine too.
We watched them in chronological order instead of release but I think any order will work good. I really enjoy watching The Phantom Menace even if the internet mostly hates it. It has such a huge place in my childhood. You are going to love the Clone Wars. The first season is a bit hit and miss, the movie isn't that good either, but every season from two onwards is great. I haven't skipped a single episode. Trust me when I say you are going to want to watch Revenge Of The Sith again - the show just puts everything, especially Anakin and Obi-wan's relationship and the other Jedi that fall during Order 66, onto such higher and more meaningful stakes. Very well done and excellent writing. Ahsoka is actually one of my favorite Star Wars characters.

Edit: Yes, watch the animated series, it isn't considered canon anymore these days but the show is masterful on an action level. General Grevious is genuinely terrifying.

TM94

Grievous is compete wank

tumblr_m32ktdpNMl1qc5s9to1_500.gif

Just awful.

RobbieNick

I love Greivous. He's a throwback to the old-school "Snidely Whiplash" type of villains who don't hide their villainy and would gladly tie a damsel to a railroad track. All he needs is a curly mustache he can twirl.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Grievous was awful in the movie. He was fucking amazing in the Tartakovsky animated series, but the movie has him getting taken out like a punk. There's like zero desperation when fighting him or anything. There's more craft and care in presenting him like a badass in all his scenes in the animated series than any single moment of Episode III.

In Clone Wars (the 2D series), he was this relentless nightmare creature, cutting dudes down like it was nothing. The movie just has him as a big dumb cg goon with zero speed or ferocity.

Gravidee

Watch till the end of the first battle of The Clone Wars Movie, pretty much everything else in it is not worth watching so you can head straight to the series.

Ray Wonder

I was planning on only watching canon, but I guess most of you suggest the 2D series it must be worth it. I'll do it.

I know it's so wrong, but the Clone Wars CG show is something I'm iffy about watching because of my dislike for the prequels.
It really is worth watching. There's obviously a few duds here and there but it really enhances the prequel era, giving a lot of the key characters some much needed development. The clones are great too. I love what they did with Mandalore.

Even if you don't actually care whether or not it ties back into the films, there are some arcs in there that work perfectly fine, on their own, as self-contained adventure stories. More than a few, actually. In fact, I found the show was at its best when it was sidelining Anakin and Obi-Wan more in favor of characters like the Clones, Ahsoka and Ventress.

Retro

Thanks for coming along my little journey with me! Let me know what you think of my order.

That's about how I figured it would shake out for you, with the exception of Return of the Empire sitting in the middle considering most people end up putting it at the top (no surprises from me on my order; V > IV > VI > III > I > II). The Prequels aren't the worst movies I've ever seen (Episode III is actually decent) but they're such a step down from the Original Trilogy that you have to wonder what happened. I personally chalk a lot of it up to George divorcing his wife, who kept him grounded and was heavily involved with editing the shit out of everything, including actually editing the films. There used to be a really good article about it, but it seems to have since been deleted.

Edit: Ah, someone re-hosted it: In Tribute to Marcia Lucas. REALLY good read, and some pretty choice quotes from George when he was still humble.

How accurate to your experience with the prequels do you think my list ended up being? You were checking off a hell of a lot of 'em as you went.
JUWnj.gif

I love Greivous. He's a throwback to the old-school "Snidely Whiplash" type of villains who don't hide their villainy and would gladly tie a damsel to a railroad track. All he needs is a curly mustache he can twirl.
LOL, perfect

Thanks for the journey, Ray, glad you've enjoyed it.

V > VI > IV > III > I >>> ... >>> II

Fuck II.

I guess it's time to rank them from most favorite to least. I'm probably gonna break some hearts here.

1. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
  2. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
  3. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope
  5. Episode I: The Phantom Menace
  6. Episode II: Attack of The Clones

Can confirm, heart broken by 3 above 4&5. But at least one and two are where they belong, I can be at peace.
Mine: 5>4>6>3>1>My ass>2

Glad to have another fan join the hoards of folk waiting anxiously for 7. Give it another watch with new perspective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk3aMrwlpGg

lZMBdwE.gif

Even if you don't actually care whether or not it ties back into the films, there are some arcs in there that work perfectly fine, on their own, as self-contained adventure stories. More than a few, actually. In fact, I found the show was at its best when it was sidelining Anakin and Obi-Wan more in favor of characters like the Clones, Ahsoka and Ventress.
Yeah, the Domino Squad episodes and the Umbara arc are some of my favourites and they barely feature the main characters.

It really is worth watching. There's obviously a few duds here and there but it really enhances the prequel era, giving a lot of the key characters some much needed development. The clones are great too. I love what they did with Mandalore.

Hrmmmm.

I'll give it a shot. I think it's on Netflix.

I just re watched episode 3 for the first time in 5 years because of this thread, and yeah its pretty good. In my opinion its not on the level of empire strikes back and a new hope just because something about the overall movie is still a little off, but Anakin turning to the dark side to save padme only to realize that in his anger and lust for power he was the reason she was going to die in the first place is good stuff. Also the fights were pretty good outside of the stupid lightsaber twirling. The art direction seems much more improved from episode 2 as well (still some iffy stuff like the CGI clone troopers/aliens like the lizard obi wan rides on and dull lighting in certain scenes, also palpatines makeup after he got zapped is terrible)
Overall my ranking is

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones

I was watching Fullmetal Alchemist, and Edward is a better Anakin than Anakin ever was in the prequels. Young prodigy, doesn't have much respect for authority, ventures into forbidden magic (alchemy) in order to save people he loves. But he doesn't come off as a petulant douche.

Now imagine if he just went off the deep end completely and Mustang had to put him down at the end. That's basically what I was hoping for with the prequels. The idea itself was good, but the execution was severely flawed.

Ray Wonder

That's about how I figured it would shake out for you, with the exception of Return of the Empire sitting in the middle considering most people end up putting it at the top (no surprises from me on my order; V > IV > VI > III > I > II). The Prequels aren't the worst movies I've ever seen (Episode III is actually decent) but they're such a step down from the Original Trilogy that you have to wonder what happened. I personally chalk a lot of it up to George divorcing his wife, who kept him grounded and was heavily involved with editing the shit out of everything, including actually editing the films. There used to be a really good article about it, but it seems to have since been deleted.

Edit: Ah, someone re-hosted it: In Tribute to Marcia Lucas. REALLY good read, and some pretty choice quotes from George when he was still humble.

How accurate to your experience with the prequels do you think my list ended up being? You were checking off a hell of a lot of 'em as you went.
JUWnj.gif
Haha it's pretty accurate.

Can confirm, heart broken by 3 above 4&5. But at least one and two are where they belong, I can be at peace.
Mine: 5>4>6>3>1>My ass>2

Glad to have another fan join the hoards of folk waiting anxiously for 7. Give it another watch with new perspective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk3aMrwlpGg

lZMBdwE.gif

Dude, Han gave me chills. Also, how the hell long do wookies live? Chewy gotta be like 100 years old by now.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I guess it's time to rank them from most favorite to least. I'm probably gonna break some hearts here.
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Episode IV: A New Hope
Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Episode II: Attack of The Clones

OP RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN

Grievous is alright. He's no Admiral Bone-to-pick, that's for sure.

tumblr_lo8ygogpDJ1qj43juo1_500.png

I'd rank them

1) Star Wars - Film quality is basically tied with Empire for me, but the original gains bonus points for being a self-contained story.

2) Empire - See above. Damn great sequel.

3) Jedi - All-around solid, fun adventure. Maybe a notch below the other two (the meandering on Endor gets me a little restless) but still good.

4) Phantom - It's been a long time since I've seen it but I don't remember it being that bad, honestly. It actually feels like a pretty natural progression from Jedi as far as the series getting lighter and sillier as it went on, although I'd say it goes too far along the spectrum. It feels like a movie that has fundamental flaws but that they actually gave a shit about it, unlike the other two which feel like they arbitrarily check off boxes to address the most superficial complaints about the first movie ("No annoying kids, check, no Jar-Jar, check, 'darker,' check")

5) Sith - I waffle between whether this or Phantom Menace is the best prequel just because Sith has way more going on that ties into the overarching story, which makes it more interesting to watch but the execution (imo) is horrible.

6) Clones - It's rough, it's coarse, it's irritating and it gets everywhere.

Hoping I have (at least) a new number 3 this December.

Ray Wonder

Grievous is alright. He's no Admiral Bone-to-pick, that's for sure.

Hoping I have (at least) a new number 3 this December.

The good thing about watching them now is that I have zero problem with having a new number one. Which is what I'm hoping for. Obviously lol.

Gleethor

When it comes to the prequels, I think if 2 had at least been decent (and not the terribly paced mess that it was) we would have a very different outlook on the prequels as a whole today. Phantom Menace was disappointing not only because its a so-so film (an understatement for many fans, to be sure) but because expectations were colossal. But I think we could've bounced back from it. If the follow up had at least surpassed or met the fans' then-adjusted expectations, people would've been far less jaded going into RoTS.

That's my theory, anyway. Blame it all on Clones.

TheXbox

OP, I would not advise watching every episode of the Clone Wars. (CG, not the 2D) A lot of people seem to think that it's leagues ahead of the prequels in terms of writing and acting, but frankly there are a lot of really terrible episodes in that show. I'm talking full length Jar Jar episodes.

Plus the tone is just all over the place. Sometimes it wants to be a kids show, sometimes it wants to be super dark and violent, and often times it fails at doing either one. In other words... a lot like the prequels. Dave Filoni a self-professed student and admirer of George Lucas, so that shouldn't surprise anyone. Season Five is the only remotely consistent season.

This and this are the episode guides I used. They'll help you weed out the shittier episodes and focus on the good stuff.

Ray Wonder

OP, I would not advise watching every episode of the Clone Wars. (CG, not the 2D) A lot of people seem to think that it's leagues ahead of the prequels in terms of writing and acting, but frankly there are a lot of really terrible episodes in that show. I'm talking full length Jar Jar episodes.

Plus the tone is just all over the place. Sometimes it wants to be a kids show, sometimes it wants to be super dark and violent, and often times it fails at doing either one. In other words... a lot like the prequels. Dave Filoni a self-professed student and admirer of George Lucas, so that shouldn't surprise anyone. Season Five is the only remotely consistent season.

This and this are the episode guides I used. They'll help you weed out the shittier episodes and focus on the good stuff.

Well I have a few months until 7, so I think I'll just watch the whole thing. I appreciate the suggestion. I'll keep it in mind if I start watching and feel like it's not worth the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom