• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Tales of Arise, looking better than ever but...yeah that's it

Y0ssarian

Banned
Very poor use of this meme. Maybe it would’ve been half-funny if I hadn’t written the second sentence.

Take yor favorite game of this gen. Someone here has said before that it’s utter shit.
It's not supposed to be funny.

I'm glad someone has said my favourite game is shit. Hopefully they actually have a constructive criticism instead of just sucking the game's dick

GymWolf

Is the combat in this one anyway similar to that overcomplicated shit in xenoblade 2 with tutorials after 25 hours in the game?

Or it is full action with evade moves etc?

tibia

Neo Member
How is Souls games rock paper scissors?
I dont mean it in a bad way. Just that the actions are simplified. In a close up melee fight, which for me is like 95% of the games, the options are attack, block, parry, or roll. And usually the fights are over in a couple of seconds. Short and quick like in a RPS match, and stakes are higher (cant take 100 hits or pointlessly do 200 hit combos).

This is a fun and rewarding battle system imo.

It's not supposed to be funny.

I'm glad someone has said my favourite game is shit. Hopefully they actually have a constructive criticism instead of just sucking the game's dick

Legitimately I hate this shit

People act like you're cringey for being critical of stuff. As if being critical isn't an essential part of engaging with anything. It doesn't help that kids nowadays are brought up at a young age with youtube and tiktok, the most facile shit, and so they expect everything to be surface-level. They have no imagination or creativity or intelligence.

I'd love for people to just argue with criticism instead of just pretending it doesn't exist...

Y0ssarian

Banned
Legitimately I hate this shit

People act like you're cringey for being critical of stuff. As if being critical isn't an essential part of engaging with anything. It doesn't help that kids nowadays are brought up at a young age with youtube and tiktok, the most facile shit, and so they expect everything to be surface-level. They have no imagination or creativity or intelligence.

I'd love for people to just argue with criticism instead of just pretending it doesn't exist...
Don't worry about it. He's probably just a zoomer with no critical thinking ability

Don't worry about it. He's probably just a zoomer with no critical thinking ability
I'm 31. How old are you?

I said the OP, who has criticized this game, is reasonable. I've criticized many games here before.

There's a huge difference between critical thinking/constructive criticism and simply saying X game is shit without even explaining why. You can be harsh on a game and still recognize its qualities or even consider it worth playing. Similarly, praising a game or defending it doesn't mean sucking its dick. That would be calling it perfect and refusing to acknowledge its flaws even after others have demonstrated them. If you can't grasp these nuances, well, what can I say. I hope you reconsider your way of thinking. Have a good day and don't bother quoting me.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I'm 31. How old are you?

I said the OP, who has criticized this game, is reasonable. I've criticized many games here before.

There's a huge difference between critical thinking/constructive criticism and simply saying X game is shit without even explaining why. You can be harsh on a game and still recognize its qualities or even consider it worth playing. Similarly, praising a game or defending it doesn't mean sucking its dick. That would be calling it perfect and refusing to acknowledge its flaws even after others have demonstrated them. If you can't grasp these nuances, well, what can I say. I hope you reconsider your way of thinking. Have a good day and don't bother quoting me.
Shutup zoomer. Don't @ me and then tell me not to reply to you, coward. Don't speak to me ever again

danklord

Gold Member
This is my first Tales of game and I've found it to be really enjoyable while traveling on the Steam Deck. The graphics really pop.

I'm thinking either Berseria or Xillia next, what do you think?

Last edited:

Fbh

Is the combat in this one anyway similar to that overcomplicated shit in xenoblade 2 with tutorials after 25 hours in the game?

Or it is full action with evade moves etc?

Yeah it's a straightforward real time combat system. You basically combine regular attacks with skills to try and "break" enemies (basically stagger them) which allows you to perform lengthy combos, keep them going for long enough and you can "boost strike" them, killing them regardless of how much HP they have left. You can also evade attacks and are encouraged to try and evade at the last second as it allows you to counter attack (which usually instantly staggers most enemies).

Here's an early combat encounter:

The main problem, as I mentioned, is that during boss battles the whole "break, perform combos and boos strike" gets thrown out of the window, and it turns more into a game of hitting a bullet sponge and evading attacks for 10 minutes.
Also once you have a full party and characters start getting better skills it can get REALLY flashy in terms of visuals, to the point it's hard to tell what's going on.
Playing it at night is like:
strobe-lights-the-club.gif

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah it's a straightforward real time combat system. You basically combine regular attacks with skills to try and "break" enemies (basically stagger them) which allows you to perform lengthy combos, keep the going for long enough and you can "boost strike" them, killing them regardless of how much HP they have left. You can also evade attacks and are encouraged to try and evade at the last second as it allows you to counter attack (which usually instantly staggers most enemies).

The main problem, as I mentioned, is that during boss battles the whole "break, perform combos and boos strike" gets thrown out of the window, and it turns more into a game of hitting a bullet sponge and evading attacks for 10 minutes.
Also once you have a full party and characters start getting better skills it can REALLY flashy in terms of visuals, to the point it's hard to tell what's going on.
Playing it at night is like:
strobe-lights-the-club.gif

Oh i enjoy an occasional epilectic crysis from time to time, it make me save money on drugs.

• LOL
Reactions: Fbh
I put about 105 hours into the game...My main issue with the game is it's so obvious they had no idea how to just end the shit...The last like 35% of the game takes so long/so many hours longer than it should and it just gets drawn out...I pretty much got to a point where I was just skipping dialogue and bored up until the final fight cause it just went on and on...Which is a problem quite a few of the Tales games have - but it was ridiculous in this one. I absolutely loved the game until I had about 30% of the story left to go and then I started to kinda hate it lol

sigmaZ

I put about 105 hours into the game...My main issue with the game is it's so obvious they had no idea how to just end the shit...The last like 35% of the game takes so long/so many hours longer than it should and it just gets drawn out...I pretty much got to a point where I was just skipping dialogue and bored up until the final fight cause it just went on and on...Which is a problem quite a few of the Tales games have - but it was ridiculous in this one. I absolutely loved the game until I had about 30% of the story left to go and then I started to kinda hate it lol
Haha. I felt the same way.

I finished the game in less than 30 hours and it still felt insanely drawn-out but TBH the last parts of the game are the only interesting parts. The middle section of the game is an extremely boring dungeon crawl with one or two scenes that are unintentionally hilarious, but the final act has so much insane funny shit by comparison. I still laugh a lot at
Hevrekt-35, a character who is suddenly introduced and immediately everyone starts casually referring to him as Hevrekt-35 with no acknowledgement of how weird it is. Or the scene where the MC gets angry at how selfish people are for not wanting to live with the people who literally brainwashed them for their entire lives culminating in making them commit mass suicide, just a few weeks after their liberation.
It's a truly stupud videogame and tbh I would love it if it wasn't so crushingly miserable to actually play

This is the biggest proof that it sucks ass because this video details LITERALLY THE ENTIRE MECHANICAL DEPTH OF TALES OF ARISE. You can segue some attacks into other attacks for a full combo. Have fucking fun with that because it definitely won't get old. Especially not when most of the enemies in the game have multiple times as much HP as this so it takes forever and is completely joyless.

Doom85

I finished the game in less than 30 hours and it still felt insanely drawn-out but TBH the last parts of the game are the only interesting parts. The middle section of the game is an extremely boring dungeon crawl with one or two scenes that are unintentionally hilarious, but the final act has so much insane funny shit by comparison. I still laugh a lot at
Hevrekt-35, a character who is suddenly introduced and immediately everyone starts casually referring to him as Hevrekt-35 with no acknowledgement of how weird it is. Or the scene where the MC gets angry at how selfish people are for not wanting to live with the people who literally brainwashed them for their entire lives culminating in making them commit mass suicide, just a few weeks after their liberation.
It's a truly stupud videogame and tbh I would love it if it wasn't so crushingly miserable to actually play

That last bit in the spoiler bit.

kQmHJRi.gif

Is that legit what the “heroes” do? What the fuck happens in the last arc?!

Shocked Face Omg GIF by Red Fang

That last bit in the spoiler bit.

kQmHJRi.gif

Is that legit what the “heroes” do? What the fuck happens in the last arc?!

Shocked Face Omg GIF by Red Fang
I swear to all the gods that exist that the final arc in the game is thus:

You beat the bad guys but there's some civil unrest. The citizens are unhappy about having to live with the people who enslaved & brainwashed them. Your guy goes and sorts them out, but then, even one of your own party members gets into a argument because she's mad that her race had to abandon any kind of funeral traditions and simply discard the dead because of the harsh subjugation of their oppressors; thankfully your main character shouts at her for holding such a fucking dumb opinion.

Anyway, I haven't confirmed the details of this part (I was done with sidequests at this point) but, skipping forward a bit but you learn that the guy whose concentration camp you were in at the beginning actually was viewed positively from his own planet for his funding an orphanage or something. Someone please confirm for me what this side plot was because I couldn't bring myself to do anything optional at this late stage of the game, but I fully would believe it if this was true lol

The ending of the game is that you shounen forgive the guy who previously genocided a bunch of innocent brainwashed people for no reason other than to show off how hard he was. There's a whole shounen hero speech about how he only did it because he was alone and had noone in his life to correct him. I'M NOT FUCKING JOKING BTW THIS IS ACTUALLY REAL. Thankfully your character is forced to kill him after he doesn't accept it. The end.

Last edited:
I did some research (spending five mins watching youtube videos) and there was some disgusting misinfo & lies in my previous posting

The finale of the game does include a sidequest that is intended to humanise the ridiculous comic book villains, but the orphanage thing was a bit of an exaggeration. On the other hand, there is a dialogue regarding the evil witch who commits genocide by tricking people into doing a witch-burning on her (yes this game is stupid); when you talk to her supporter on her home planet she starts opining in a really on-the-nose way about how she's a powerful woman in charge YAAS KWEEEEN!!! Which almost seems like an effective social commentary except it's presented more like "wow, I guess there are two sides to every story"

Also there is a bit where you ask the guy about the concentration camp boss and he's like "look, I know nobody likes that guy because of his evil means, but, he's only concerned about improving the status of his family" and your party is like "huh, I guess it was more complicated all along" lol

I'm considering replaying this game and making a video because it's both a funny-stupid game and also I want to communicate to people how miserable the actual gameplay is

I did some research (spending five mins watching youtube videos) and there was some disgusting misinfo & lies in my previous posting

The finale of the game does include a sidequest that is intended to humanise the ridiculous comic book villains, but the orphanage thing was a bit of an exaggeration. On the other hand, there is a dialogue regarding the evil witch who commits genocide by tricking people into doing a witch-burning on her (yes this game is stupid); when you talk to her supporter on her home planet she starts opining in a really on-the-nose way about how she's a powerful woman in charge YAAS KWEEEEN!!! Which almost seems like an effective social commentary except it's presented more like "wow, I guess there are two sides to every story"

Also there is a bit where you ask the guy about the concentration camp boss and he's like "look, I know nobody likes that guy because of his evil means, but, he's only concerned about improving the status of his family" and your party is like "huh, I guess it was more complicated all along" lol

I'm considering replaying this game and making a video because it's both a funny-stupid game and also I want to communicate to people how miserable the actual gameplay is
I would respond to many many more things you’ve brought up or addressed but I’m sleep deprived so I’ll just choose one:

The Fruit of Helgan is SUCH a monumentally stupid plot device.

I would respond to many many more things you’ve brought up or addressed but I’m sleep deprived so I’ll just choose one:

The Fruit of Helgan is SUCH a monumentally stupid plot device.
I totally forgot about that lmao

I can't remember perfectly but the idea was

people's anger or whatever causes their bodies to break down into whatever pure energy form the Renans are trying to absorb. Right? It turns some guy into goop in a really "emotional" (funny) scene, then it's how the witch kills all those people, by inciting their rage to break them down. Then IIRC it just completely disappears as a factor in the plot lol

(spoilers in video obviously)

I wanted to clip together some dumb/funny scenes from this game... made it around halfway through, maybe I'll do the rest in a day or two. Definitely missed some good scenes but I stopped being thorough after the opening, for my own sanity. (Also I screwed some cuts and lost some clips, meh)

Top Bottom