• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The IT Crowd on Netflix - God I love this show

GreyHorace

So earlier this week I made a thread about BBC's Sherlock on Netflix and how much I despise it. This time, I thought I'd counter the negativity by heaping praises of another show I've been binging on Netflix during the quarantine, the British sitcom The IT Crowd from Channel 4.

the-it-crowd.jpg

I'd heard of the show before because of it's supposed 'rivalry' with The Big Bang Theory as they're both shows about nerds interacting with regular people. While The IT Crowd does have a couple of IT nerds as it's main characters, the focus is not on their awkward interactions with the people they work with. Rather, the show is all about putting it's characters in the most ridiculous and hilariously absurd situations that provide the most laughs. I've lost count at the number of times I've laughed my ass off at how the show goes insane with it's gags.

The three leads are brilliant and play well off each other. You have Chris O'Dowd as the wannabe ladies man Roy, Katherine Parkinson as the delightfully neurotic Jen, and of course, Richard Ayoade as Moss, probably one the greatest characters I've ever come across in a sitcom.

As I said, the show is fucking hilarious and has some of the most memorable gags, like the ridiculously long emergency number:

And thank God for this show coming out at a time before Britain became woke with social justice mania. It's got some really great politically incorrect humor, like the Gay musical:

The show is so funny even my mom has taken to watching it. But what about you GAF? What's your verdict on The IT Crowd?

I love it.
Every few years I will watch all eps again, it's an easy watch and quite fun.

It's a great mix of ridiculing, getting ridiculed, winning, losing, silly jokes and crazy scenarios.

GymWolf

I love the show, it's good even in the later season where comedy usually lose steam.

Warning, racist humorism on the expense of french people

Last edited:
I work in IT but I could only make it past the first few episodes. I just have a hard time with british humor that isn't monty python for some reason. I'd love to see this localized in the US akin to the Office
be careful what you wish for....

they did make a pilot for a potential american remake (even moss was in it). It didnt get picked up cuz it was bad.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Wife and I always put it on if nothing else is catching our fancy. LOVE the two guys that play the boss and then the son. So damn funny.

The great thing about Richard Ayode is that his off the cuff stuff is even better than the scripted stuff

Also, another great thing is that every single chick working at Renholm Industries is insanely hot

Last edited:

GreyHorace

The great thing about Richard Ayode is that his off the cuff stuff is even better than the scripted stuff

Also, another great thing is that every single chick working at Renholm Industries is insanely hot

Very true. I didn't think Katherine Parkinson as Jen was particularly hot at first. But by God, she gets even hotter the more you see of her:

it_crowd_jen_2.jpg

GreyHorace

That episode for me was one of the funniest things I've seen on tv. Everything about it was pure comedy bliss. You had:

- Moss and Roy teasing Jen that her date was gay because he borrowed her Heat magazine
- Said date inviting them to watch Gay: The Musical
- Said Gay musical which is hilariously gay
- Roy pretending to be disabled because he got caught using the disabled persons toilet, and how it gets worse from there
- Moss pretending to be part of the theater staff because he got caught using the staff toilet
- Jen's date finally admitting he's gay and that he only went out with her because she looked a bit like a man

I never laughed so hard at a sitcom episode like I did this one. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

epicnemesis

That episode for me was one of the funniest things I've seen on tv. Everything about it was pure comedy bliss. You had:

- Moss and Roy teasing Jen that her date was gay because he borrowed her Heat magazine
- Roy pretending to be disabled because he got caught using the disabled persons toilet, and how it gets worse from there
- Moss pretending to be part of the theater staff because he got caught using the staff toilet
- Jen's date finally admitting he's gay and that he only went out with her because she looked a bit like a man

I never laughed so hard at a sitcom episode like I did this one. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It’s one of the greatest episodes of any sitcom. I fucking love that episode.

Bullet Club

aXHVVau.gif

j0hnnix

This probably one of my top funniest shows. I've rewatched it 3 times and now rewatching on my 4th go around and it still makes me laugh.

Top Bottom