• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: The mario and Luigi RPG series

Umbasaborne

Banned
I made a thread earlier where i discussed buying a 3ds in 2021 as someone who never invested much time into its library before. I bought a system on ebay and several games, but the one thats been taking up most of my time is Mario and Luigi: Superstar saga + Bowsers minions.

for refference i love super mario rpg, as well as the first two paper mario games. But i never got into the mario and luigi games much because i was never much of a hand held gamer.

turns out i missed out on some pheonomenally well made games if super star saga is anything to go by. The combat is engaging, the writing is excellent and the world is just a joy to explore. The graphics in this updated remaster are pretty great as well. Every animation and sprite is bursting with personality.

Ive now Made it my mission to pick up the remake of bowsers inside story, dream team, and paper jam as well. I may grab partners in time too, if i can find it for a reasonable price.

will this awesome series ever come back on switch, or did it die with alpha dream?

Bigfoot

Superstar saga was one of my favorite GBA games. I unfortunately never had a DS or 3DS so can’t say much more, but like you, I’d love to have a Switch Mario and Luigi game.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Superstar saga was one of my favorite GBA games. I unfortunately never had a DS or 3DS so can’t say much more, but like you, I’d love to have a Switch Mario and Luigi game.
I think that high def pixel art style they use would
Really shine on switch

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah, I love the M&L RPG series. Superstar Saga is probably still my favorite, but they’re all pretty great.

I was really sad to hear about AlphaDream’s bankruptcy.. Would have loved to see a continuation on Switch.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story are superb. Such a fun mix of comedy and rpg action. Great, great games.
Are paper jam and dream team worth my time as well? I might look into partners in time as well, but i know thats og ds, no 3ds specific version

protonion

Bis and Dream Team are great but you will be burnt out if you play them close to each other.
Dream Team should be shorter also.
Imo SSS and minions is easily the best.

Paper Jam is trash. Do not touch. The combat is fine but everything else is terrible. The writing esp is embarrassing.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I feel the opposite. I first played Paper Jam Bros and while it’s nice up to a point, it lasts easily 5 hours more than necessary if not more, far outstaying its welcome.
I also played the Superstar Saga remake and nope, couldn’t finish it. Too repetitive and the moment-to-moment overworld gameplay is horribly repetitive and redundant, every screen wants you to switch abilities so many times to get everything.

Paper Mario is the vastly superior series to me, no contest.

Top Bottom