• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Outer Worlds is an awesome game

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Grabbed this on PC and let me tell you after becoming completely sick of Elden Ring it's great to play a sort-of open world with lots of variety other than dodging attacks and memorising attack patterns for 100 hours. There's a lot to see and do and the combat is great, as are the quirky quests and cast of characters, sublime music and it's a surprisingly glitch free experience.

Obsidian makes some of the best open worlds in the business and Outer Worlds >>> Fallout. Better combat, story and missions. I feel they take the typical Bethesda formula, cut down the bloat and glitches and leave you with the goodness.

Really impressed with this game.

klosos

I thought the game was ok , a 7.5 outta 10 for me. the Writing and Characters was mostly a let down. However that's been Obsidians problem since Chris Avallone left. But a solid game none the less.

Shmunter

I tried like 3 times since it got the 60fps and no bueno. Need to break through my general dislike of rpg’s and open worlds to see if there is any meat in dem bones

Markio128

Glad you‘re enjoying it, but I thought it was pretty poor tbh. It just seemed like a lot of busy work and the combat seemed off - some of the characters were okay, but I’m clutching at straws for positive things to say about it.

Cartas

Neo Member
When you say "Outer Worlds >>> Fallout," I assume & hope you're not including Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas in that?

I'd give The Outer Worlds a 6 outta 10 - one of the most forgettable and average Obsidian games ever made.

Chukhopops

I liked it despite its shortcomings. To me it was a step down from Pillars in terms of story depth, customization etc.

I liked the world (and there’s a lot of potential in it) and combat was fun after the 60 fps patch.

FingerBang

I did not really like it. Had high expectations but nope, felt like I and the people who were praising it were playing a different game.
And that's ignoring the people who praised it because they added LGBT representation, which I don't really give a shit about (as in, I don't care if it's there or not, loved TLOU2)

Laptop1991

I agree, considering it wasn't a triple A game, and the lack of these type of first person RPG's in the last 5 or more years because BGS wanted online mmo's, i really enjoy the game, infact i'm replaying it again now, these are the type of games i used to play the most over 10 years ago now. i wish more were made.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Ehh it was okay. I enjoyed it but it was nothing special.

Feels like it was written by a 21 year old philosophy major who thinks they know everything. Rich people + capitalism are pure evil, an asexual lesbian woman is the only pure and beautiful thing in the entire galaxy (everyone else is either a soulless corporate automaton, a corporate thug, or some narcissistic aristocrat). There’s this thick layer of cynicism over everything. They tried to combine Idiocracy + Fallout kitschy retro-futurism and it just comes off as nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is.

Gameplay-wise I liked how there were so many ways to solve quests. Difficulty balance was way out of whack though. Early-mid game it was hard as hell, but by the end it was a cakewalk. I could win any encounter by launching into point blank range and unloading my shotgun into the enemy’s face.

I played a few hours and was enjoying it but it became a borefest, so I never went back to it. It's a good foundation for future games. With a bigger budget and time, obsidian can do much better than Bethesda.

Last edited:

Duchess

I'm planning on playing it at some point. It's super cheap these days, and has a PS5 upgrade, so it's in my backlog.

I did one playthrough and was able to get the best ending for every quest line first try, so I never saw the point in playing it again. Thought it was kinda lame you couldn’t romance any of the characters. Seemed like something that shoud’ve been in the game. All you could do was get that one lesbian chick laid.

Paasei

I found it to be extremely disappointing. Bland and stupid characters, choices ended up to not matter, performance wasn’t too great (PC). Intro was fun to get you hooked and then it went downhill.

This coming from the same studio that made Fallout New Vegas, which is still amazing to play today (especially with mods), doesn’t help it.

The Outer Worlds is very overrated.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I thought it was too heavy on the corpo stuff. So hamfisted that the dialog put me off playing in the first few hours. The gameplay was ok.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Let down for me, without sneaky shottie those types of games aren’t my thing.

manfestival

Tried it on gamepass and it was a bit boring for me. Eventually uninstalled the game but I could see the potential. Just had no desire to see it come to fruition.

GymWolf

An ok game at best.

I kinda hated it tbh, you can get OP pretty soon with a bit of exploration and the progression is unexciting if i remember well.

Also the usual jank and mediocre combat of obsidian titles.

Thank god for gamepass that let me tried this thing for 1 euro.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I tried many times to like it, much because of Obsidian's track record. I felt some potential during its first minutes, but then it fell flat on its face. "Comparing" this to Elden Ring is a joke btw.

Last edited:

Gandih42

I quite liked it for the most part - had some fun sci-fi ideas and generally interesting characters. In my opinion the reception it got was tougher than what I'd give it.

A lot of people found it to be heavy-handed with the corporate cynicism, which I definitely also felt in places, but I thought the section on Monarch with Stellar Industries also gave it a more even-handed approach with people like Sanjar, trying his best to find comprises between satisfying people and keeping the place running.

The biggest negative for me is that the exploration didn't feel as interesting or organic as in the Fallout or Elder Scrolls games. Maybe because each location was too small and didn't have enough going on. I'm not sure, thinking back I feel like each location was quite dense, but it just didn't click for me the same way games in the other series did (including New Vegas) ... I imagine it could've been a budget limitation, which I'd say is fair - very excited to see what happens in Obsidians next games.

Looking forward to playing it again once I have time and a Playstation ... Though first order of business when the time comes is to spend a 100 hours dodge rolling in Elden Ring. Heehee.

Last edited:

BigBooper

It was a huge bummer to me. I had it on my wishlist for a long time before I played on Gamepass. The writing was boring and it seemed like a lecture in videogame form. Add in the sexist agenda and it really disgusted me. I loved all the other Obsidian RPGs, so I'm still hopeful for the future.

Isa

Gold Member
It was a bummer to me as well. I was excited for it since its initial reveal and played it day 1. At first its great and then like others have said it goes downhill. Budget definitely plays a role in this but also design decisions. The theme while initially funny becomes boring after a few hours, but my biggest complaint is the lack of depth in the gameplay compared to any rpg of its ilk. Exploration is not rewarded at all, a fairly large sin for an rpg. Almost every combat or encounter boils down to the same few options in how the players tries to deal with them. Its like they held on to old habits in letting the player make choices and follow character backstories, but they couldn't help themselves in being so heavy handed in nudging the player into the "right" choice despite the options given. Meanwhile a few characters act out of character in their plotline.

I did for the most part enjoy my time with the game, I don't remember any bugs so there's that. Towards the end I was bee-lining it to the finish line. I still need to play the DLC which I have but I haven't had much desire to reinstall the game. The hideous characters and old-ass engine style show their age. The amount of content in each area is weak at best but at least its a short game, and I loathe the other planets and such on the map screen, so easy to see what was either not finished or cut and held back for DLC. I personally have had far more fun with the Fallout games, yes even 4. I do hope that Obsidian get their quality back and hopefully with proper funding have and easier time of it, able to focus on providing a better experience.

Gandih42

It was a bummer to me as well. I was excited for it since its initial reveal and played it day 1. At first its great and then like others have said it goes downhill. Budget definitely plays a role in this but also design decisions. The theme while initially funny becomes boring after a few hours, but my biggest complaint is the lack of depth in the gameplay compared to any rpg of its ilk. Exploration is not rewarded at all, a fairly large sin for an rpg. Almost every combat or encounter boils down to the same few options in how the players tries to deal with them. Its like they held on to old habits in letting the player make choices and follow character backstories, but they couldn't help themselves in being so heavy handed in nudging the player into the "right" choice despite the options given. Meanwhile a few characters act out of character in their plotline.

I did for the most part enjoy my time with the game, I don't remember any bugs so there's that. Towards the end I was bee-lining it to the finish line. I still need to play the DLC which I have but I haven't had much desire to reinstall the game. The hideous characters and old-ass engine style show their age. The amount of content in each area is weak at best but at least its a short game, and I loathe the other planets and such on the map screen, so easy to see what was either not finished or cut and held back for DLC. I personally have had far more fun with the Fallout games, yes even 4. I do hope that Obsidian get their quality back and hopefully with proper funding have and easier time of it, able to focus on providing a better experience.

Haha, the lack of bugs might actually be one of the most impressive things about the game. Probably helped a lot that the world wasn't as big and interactive and its contemporaries but still nice to see a new game that doesn't feel like a broken product (at least in my own experience).

Definitely agree about the weak amount of interesting content in each area. Which I think is shame because some of them look really awesome visually, like Scylla.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'd probably really enjoy this game, plan on getting to it at some point.

It's nice to have a chill game to accompany Elden Ring. That's how I am with Ghostwire right now. Perfect cool down game to just relax with.

Mossybrew

I finished the game and it was a fun experience sure, nothing all that special but a decent game. I think it's main failing was combat balance, your character can become OP fairly quickly and enemies become trivial.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Overall just okay. The loot system in the game is terrible and exploration felt meaningless.

Was boring far before the end, and I haven't played it since I beat it the first time.

Reactions: Isa
For everyone stock-piling PS Now year subscriptions to get the free upgrade to PS+ Premium, this game is now included with PS Now.

Koenigssee

Game is good enough to partially quench that New Vegas thirst.
But tbh i can't remember anything from that game.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I finished the game and it was a fun experience sure, nothing all that special but a decent game. I think it's main failing was combat balance, your character can become OP fairly quickly and enemies become trivial.
I don't know what it is about the gunplay, but it's really fun to play. It feels a bit like Half Life 1/Halo/Riddick.

I did notice fights getting a little easier so I stopped leveling up my combat abilities and still get a nice challenge out of the gun fights.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Beautiful art style. The only thing I didn't like was the color pallet but custom reshade took care of that.

YW8SA60.jpg

K4BYS2b.jpg

hYwgVi0.jpg

TiiHzya.jpg

2teh7LD.jpg

Zlvzely.jpg

iuGC9Zb.jpg

nITp8m2.jpg

TAUGTAP.jpg

yJi1Zom.jpg

Top Bottom