• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Outer Worlds is an awesome game

Best Fallout gameplay to date. The only issue is that it’s so Fallout-but-not-actually-Fallout due to the license. It ended up not being too memorable. Slap the gameplay into an actual Fallout game, increase the size, and give it New Vegas quality decisions/writing and you’d have a GOTY contender.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It's more of the same, but only side missions, with little to do with the main story.
Murder On Eridanos is a bit of a Murder she Wrote episode. It's rather lite hearted and fun.
Peril of Gorgon delves on investigating a corporate secret in an abandoned base. Also good, but I prefer Murder on Eridanos.

Thanks. I just started Peril of Gorgon after completing the main story for the second time. I liked it a lot more than the first time around. Maybe because I took it slow, read all the terminals and completed most of the side content. Maybe because I played on hard and all the junk you collect is actually useful. I don't know but I liked it a lot and will definitely keep my eye on the sequel.

It's actually quite impressive what they achieved with a relatively small team (~75 people) and low budget.

oIQHhRm.png

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Best Fallout gameplay to date. The only issue is that it’s so Fallout-but-not-actually-Fallout due to the license. It ended up not being too memorable. Slap the gameplay into an actual Fallout game, increase the size, and give it New Vegas quality decisions/writing and you’d have a GOTY contender.

Makes a lot of sense since Outer Worlds IP was made by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, same guys responsible for the original Fallout. :messenger_heart:

TMLT

After Fallout 4 and especially 76 I enjoyed The Outer Worlds bringing back more of a New Vegas feel. It definitely wasnt perfect but I think it set a strong foundation to build on. The whole travelling around planets in a ship approach has a lot more potential for variety than a post-apocalyptic earth wasteland.

SaucyJack

When you say "Outer Worlds >>> Fallout," I assume & hope you're not including Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas in that?

I'd give The Outer Worlds a 6 outta 10 - one of the most forgettable and average Obsidian games ever made.

This.

I wonder if the OP is maybe only 10 hours in. At the beginning the game does seem quite fresh, it’s only after you get going that you realise that it’s really quite boring.

6/10 for me.

Ywap

One of the most boring games i've ever played sadly. I forced myself to finish it just for self punishment :messenger_tears_of_joy: 🤮

bbeach123

Opening 9/10 . After 10 hours its 4/10 . Serviceable combat for dev of its size . Better than bethesda's fallout 3 .

Balance is shit, rpg system like gears/skill tree is shit , world design is shit , dialogue is shit (except a few) , story is shit , characters is utter shit . Cant believe its the same dev who make fallout vegas .

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Why is the combat so much better than Bethesda studio?

The difficulty scaling is a bit shoddy but if you keep your fight stats low you get some glorious combat for a game of this type.

Also, way less glitches (none so far for me except some loading things)

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
A friend was really excited for it because he felt like it was going to be Borderlands crossed with Fallout. He played it, beat it, and said he was overall disappointed. I tried to give it a shot but I got very bored, very quickly. I can't get into it. No matter how many times I try, it just doesn't grip me. Pretty much my entire circle didn't agree at all with the reception the game got from critics. One of them said they got annoyed with how the game just felt like it was little more than constant stabs at capitalism. Not even in intelligent ways. Said there wasn't nearly as much humor in the writing as the marketing seemed to suggest and what humor there was fell flat more often than not.

Why is the combat so much better than Bethesda studio?

The difficulty scaling is a bit shoddy but if you keep your fight stats low you get some glorious combat for a game of this type.

Also, way less glitches (none so far for me except some loading things)

The gunplay is great. Fallout 3 and NV needed VATS because trying to shoot at enemies otherwise was an effort in futility. But the guns control well and feel good to shoot in Outer Worlds.

luffie

No, the most overhyped game for the most mediocre game.

Fallout is more buggy, but it isn't as bland as Outer Worlds.

I didn't play New Vegas, but I've played Pillars of Eternity 2 and Outer Worlds, Obsidian is overhyped as fuck. No wonder none of their original games has been a big hit.

Top Bottom