• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Valkyria Chronicles 4: same-same....but different... but still the same

Fbh

658155321535973594.jpg

Finished this yesterday.
As a fan of the original who was then disappointed seeing the franchise go to PSP and embrace the generic anime highschool trope, it's nice seeing this be a return to form, and having it return to consoles (and PC too, which is where I played it).

Overall it was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the new cast of characters, and the story was fairly enjoyable despite being somewhat trope heavy. The mission variety was pretty nice and did a good job at continuously introducing new elements or variables to keep things interesting. Almost every mission felt unique in some way which was appreciated.

It did feel really familiar though. Both from a presentation and gameplay point of view, if I didn't know better I would have guessed it was a sequel that released 3-4 years after the original on Ps3 instead of the forth entry coming 10 years later on next gen systems. The new additions to gameplay, while nice, felt rather limited.

More on the spoiler side:

Kai (the original one) was probably the weakest part of the plot.
Not only was him turning evil extremely obvious because of his character design, but his motivation was rather weak. He was willing to betray his nation, kill his friends and sister, be directly or indirectly linked to a ton of deaths, and basically join the anime nazis because of a girl he spent a few days with and hardly even interacted with?.

The Raz part got to me though. Dude was fun and I thought they'd go with a shitty "he isn't dead after all!" twist but they actually went ahead and made him sacrifice himself
2f0.gif

Would like to hear what others around here thought of the game.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Oh man I loved the first one back in the day and was devastated when the sequels went to handheld. I had no idea wtf they were doing but was pumped when I heard 4 was coming back to console. I haven’t got around to it yet but I picked it up on sale for $19 on the weekend. Once I finish this playthrough of Dark Souls 3 I think VC4 will be up next.

Saber

Gold Member
I played the demo once, kinda like the modifications of the tank properties.

That being said, never actually had the interest to buy it. Maybe if it got cheaper, I give it a try.

By the way, how do you feel about the characters overall? Reera really felt like this game was the next thing to Nazis at time, with a lot of people enraged. Did this game has anything to justify their hate?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally LOVED this game, the game has lot of similarities to the first game but also have new mechanics that makes battles much different than the first game. Also as much as I enjoyed the cast from the first game I personally enjoyed cast in VC4 even more, I especially loved the fact there are small character development for other crew on your squad other than main casts.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
4 is literally 1 and I couldn't finish it. It tanked as well. No pun intended. Shame really.

I'm still on the 2nd part of Ch.15 late in the game. I really like the game and the level design is really good, but the encounter design and enemy placement is hot garbage in some levels.

Levels where enemies can spawn literally right on top of your dudes after a 1st objective is met and a 2nd objective is triggered.

There's one mission late in the game where I have to take out an enemy tank commander for the win condition, all I had to do was walk 2 of my artillery units with anti armor in range, pop an order then blast the tank and beat the mission in 1 turn which was supposed to be this big climactic last battle against a rival.

I played the demo once, kinda like the modifications of the tank properties.

That being said, never actually had the interest to buy it. Maybe if it got cheaper, I give it a try.

By the way, how do you feel about the characters overall? Reera really felt like this game was the next thing to Nazis at time, with a lot of people enraged. Did this game has anything to justify their hate?

It went for a more morally grey story but still has it's upbeat anime tone from the first game which makes for an odd pairing lol. It's not like VC1 where Gallia was the clear cut good guys. But if I had to guess it's probably that.
That the Federation ship the protagonists are using is powered by a Valkyria child that was kinda tricked into willing slavery being used as a human battery. Even after this is revealed to the main cast the plan still proceeds to pilot the ship close to the Empire and self destruct the ship using the Valkyria as a nuclear bomb. Oh and the Federation also coerced two other Valkyria into powering two other ships that both die.

I still do not understand why it was only 30fps and at best looked no better than the first game

It's 60 on PC and looks better to me and I have both on steam. 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: Fbh

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Nahh. It has all kinds of characters in there, from trans to gays to mothers, blacks, Asians, whites and anything in between. You'd think that's something they would appreciate, but having some content in there they happen to dislike nullifies all that, obviously.

I liked the game, though not as much as the first one. This one lacked originality. The Valkyria themselves took a bit of a backseat. The story wasn't really about them all that much. I guess that's fine too, but the game is called Valkyria Chronicles. I thought it was a waste that they focused on Gallian characters again as well. This time they went with the Federation army, so I was hoping for a different perspective on the war, but that didn't really happen.

I still haven't properly finished the game. To get the true ending requires a fair bit of farming and playing pretty boring skirmish maps. I saw that there's a few pieces of DLC as well. Anyone know if those are worth it?

V2Tommy

Great game. Less unfair than 1 but just as broken for Scout Rush tactics.

Lots of extra content, as well.

MagnesG

Banned
It's because you didn't play 2 and 3, for me 4 was a return-to-the-form entry after so long. Granted I played the fan translation for 3, imo it had the best storyline, better than 1. The Nameless ending was cool AF.

Some cool VC3 main theme..

Last edited:

Fbh

I especially loved the fact there are small character development for other crew on your squad other than main casts.

Yeah the Squad stories were fun and I really liked how the character development was also reflected during the gameplay with the new traits.
I was a bit annoyed though when I didn't seem to be able to get the story for 2 characters I used often, and it turned out that the third character you need is one you get by saving up 1 million in in-game currency. Since there was no hint or indication (at least that I saw) that there was any point in saving money I always used it right away, so I needed to do some farming towards the end which sucked.

4 is literally 1 and I couldn't finish it. It tanked as well. No pun intended. Shame really.

It's very similar yeah but it has been a rather long time since 1 and this is still a whole new story with new characters and new missions in new locations on top of a few new elements.

I would have liked it to feel more like an evolution or a big step forward, but I think most people who enjoyed 1 and haven't played it recently will probably have fun with 4

I still do not understand why it was only 30fps and at best looked no better than the first game

Based on the presentation it definitely felt like it should have been able to run at 60 fps on consoles.
But honestly, you aren't missing much. Due to the nature of the gameplay the 60fps don't really add a whole lot

I had no problem at all with the characters. The cast was varied, mostly likeable and there were some fun interactions between them.

I guess if you are looking to be offended you can take issue with stuff like a character grabbing a butt (and getting punched for it), a female character who has a big development to her personality triggered by meeting a man or some of the usual anime tropes which this doesn't shy away from (the girly dude, the hot springs scene, etc).
I think there's also a DLC which basically goes for the generic "main cast goes to the beach" vibe which I guess includes all of the usual stuff.

But IMO it was all really inoffensive and hardly anything to be bothered by

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah the Squad stories were fun and I really liked how the character development was also reflected during the gameplay with the new traits.
I was a bit annoyed though when I didn't seem to be able to get the story for 2 characters I used often, and it turned out that the third character you need is one you get by saving up 1 million in in-game currency. Since there was no hint or indication (at least that I saw) that there was any point in saving money I always used it right away, so I needed to do some farming towards the end which sucked.
One part that really hit me was when you choose one of the squad member in Raz's suicide mission near the end I chose Vancey (the girl who's drunk all the time) to company him on that mission, she had really nice moment before she also gets killed on that mission.

Durask

I enjoyed it a lot. For me definitely in the "worth playing" category.
Story wise it is okay - great potential but I think most likely hamstrung by low budget.

MagnesG

Banned
I guess if you are looking to be offended you can take issue with stuff like a character grabbing a butt (and getting punched for it)
Also, both of them got history and are kinda way above the friendship zone, they're obviously very comfortable with each other to do these things. It's really weird people can rage about this, no context at all.

You guys should really play Senjou no Valkyria 3, just forget about VC2. :)

cireza

Best game in the series and they actually made a ton of subtle improvements everywhere.

When you compare it to the first game only based on your memory, you don't realize how much they improved the formula.

VC4 is a pretty large leap forward. The new mortar unit absolutely transforms the overall level-design, and makes it much more interesting. They made a lot of improvements to the map-design with much less frustrating, unpredictable events (even if there are still some). The scale is also much much larger.

The game is also loaded with content, you don't often get so much content nowadays. In my opinion, for everything gameplay related, VC4 is a vastly superior game. In terms of story and characters, it will depend on your preferences of course. I found the enemies a bit disappointing in VC4, I did not like them and I also did not like the Valkyria.

I Platinumed this game last year (which is a feat in both 1 and 4).

I loved it but it did lack in certain areas. The Post Game shouldn't have been post game for one as the more interesting chsracters are locked behind it (Arnold Schwarzenegger clone), as well as some of the cadet stories behind getting them to Corporal.

The story was weaker than the first game but still enjoyed it for what it was.

Being similar to VC1 is not a bad thing. Putting on old familiar slippers gave me a lot of nostalgia for the first game and it does improve a LOT on the first games more simplified missions.

I would call this a cult classic along with 1 but the story did let it down.

People bitched about this game being too similar to VC1 but people BEGGED SEGA to make it just like 1 so....what did people expect?

It is definitely fun and recommended to all. Just don't go in expecting VC1's great plot but enjoy the improvements to the game mechanics and varied missions.

One part that really hit me was when you choose one of the squad member in Raz's suicide mission near the end I chose Vancey (the girl who's drunk all the time) to company him on that mission, she had really nice moment before she also gets killed on that mission.

You murdered my favourite side character! D:《

The reason she is drunk all the time is due to her own squad getting killed.

I sacrificed Hana

That hit hard as she is a mother.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I had no problem at all with the characters. The cast was varied, mostly likeable and there were some fun interactions between them.

I guess if you are looking to be offended you can take issue with stuff like a character grabbing a butt (and getting punched for it), a female character who has a big development to her personality triggered by meeting a man or some of the usual anime tropes which this doesn't shy away from (the girly dude, the hot springs scene, etc).
I think there's also a DLC which basically goes for the generic "main cast goes to the beach" vibe which I guess includes all of the usual stuff.

But IMO it was all really inoffensive and hardly anything to be bothered by

The reason for me to ask is that at the time I was a member of that stupid forum. I didn't post there afraid of being banned, but I wasn't aware of how much fragile and dramatic people could be when describing a game.

Thanks for the info. Doesn't feel like anything offensive to me either.

Fbh

I have to admit I kinda cheated and sent some random character I had only used like once before. ... Also you can't kill Vancey!!! she is great, even her annoying trait of suddenly ending her turn because she is too drunk is kinda fun

You guys should really play Senjou no Valkyria 3, just forget about VC2. :)

Will definitely look into it, I was holding out hoping they'd release some sort of port or remaster but it looks like that's not going to happen, so I gues fan translation it is.
But I'll wait some months, while I like the gameplay in these games, having just finished this one I'd rather play some other stuff right now and look into 3 once I'm feeling like more VK.

The reason for me to ask is that at the time I was a member of that stupid forum. I didn't post there afraid of being banned, but I wasn't aware of how much fragile and dramatic people could be when describing a game.

Thanks for the info. Doesn't feel like anything offensive to me either.

Your question made me go check the thread over at Era and, as I suspected, it's mostly people going crazy over the ass grabbing thing.
It's mostly just a lighthearted comedic scene: in some downtime during a war, a dude whose personality is known by his friends and has a lengthy history with them grabs a but and gets instantly punched in the face for it.
Sure the scene itself doesn't particularly add much to the story nor is it terribly funny.... but outrage over it??

Anyway, here it is if you want to watch it, some of the dialog might be slightly spoilerish but out of context it doesn't make that much sense:

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Valkyria Chronicles 4 is one of my favorite games this gen and I have over 100 hours in it. I like it even more than the original. The DLC is awesome too.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Your question made me go check the thread over at Era and, as I suspected, it's mostly people going crazy over the ass grabbing thing.
It's mostly just a lighthearted comedic scene: in some downtime during a war, a dude whose personality is known by his friends and has a lengthy history with them grabs a but and gets instantly punched in the face for it.
Sure the scene itself doesn't particularly add much to the story nor is it terribly funny.... but outrage over it??

Anyway, here it is if you want to watch it, some of the dialog might be slightly spoilerish but out of context it doesn't make that much sense:

So all this rage, drama and people throwing their controls in the ground pretending to be mad because of one scene?

Ow.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
A good game. Still at Ch. 15, though, for lack of playtime. That said, I still think grenadiers are a bloody nuisance -- they're either a 'must take out first' when among enemy ranks, or 'must spam my grenadier' when among own. Most of the time my grenadier is busy taking out the enemy's grenadiers. I guess I'm playing the class wrong /shrug

I’m playing VC on PC right now thanks to Game Pass. I’m super engrossed, can’t put it down.

I see Steam had a huge sale for VC4, was down to 20 bucks. I wasn’t sure if I should have jumped on it or if it was safe to expect VC4 coming to GP eventually.

Fbh

A good game. Still at Ch. 15, though, for lack of playtime. That said, I still think grenadiers are a bloody nuisance -- they're either a 'must take out first' when among enemy ranks, or 'must spam my grenadier' when among own. Most of the time my grenadier is busy taking out the enemy's grenadiers. I guess I'm playing the class wrong /shrug

Yeah I didn't use them much either, pretty much just used Riley because of the extra action she gives you but except for some specific moments I didn't user her a lot.
I still found it rather hard to use the slow units beyond the first few turns and mostly left them behind as my assaults, scouts and vehicles did most of the job. And I couldn't be doing such a bad job since I got A rank in most missions (except some of the later ones)

I’m playing VC on PC right now thanks to Game Pass. I’m super engrossed, can’t put it down.

I see Steam had a huge sale for VC4, was down to 20 bucks. I wasn’t sure if I should have jumped on it or if it was safe to expect VC4 coming to GP eventually.

As far as I know the game didn't sell very well and it's often on sale. So I guess there's a decent chance of it coming to Gamepass.

It is the best of the series. Best mission variety, best unit balance (in VC1 scouts were almost you needed), and imo the best story and characters.

Grenadiers are supposed to shine with interception fire (especially anti-tank) or taking out groups of enemies. Enemy grenadiers are best disrupted by just taking out their spotters with snipers/scouts, or (with anti-personnel grenadiers) a vehicle.

The tricky thing with grenadiers is making sure they are positioned correctly behind cover - too close to a wall means their interception will be obstructed.

Best game in the series and they actually made a ton of subtle improvements everywhere.

When you compare it to the first game only based on your memory, you don't realize how much they improved the formula.

VC4 is a pretty large leap forward. The new mortar unit absolutely transforms the overall level-design, and makes it much more interesting. They made a lot of improvements to the map-design with much less frustrating, unpredictable events (even if there are still some). The scale is also much much larger.

The game is also loaded with content, you don't often get so much content nowadays. In my opinion, for everything gameplay related, VC4 is a vastly superior game. In terms of story and characters, it will depend on your preferences of course. I found the enemies a bit disappointing in VC4, I did not like them and I also did not like the Valkyria.

You forgot about the APC to which is a big game changer as well.

Meted

I have to admit I kinda cheated and sent some random character I had only used like once before. ... Also you can't kill Vancey!!! she is great, even her annoying trait of suddenly ending her turn because she is too drunk is kinda fun

Will definitely look into it, I was holding out hoping they'd release some sort of port or remaster but it looks like that's not going to happen, so I gues fan translation it is.
But I'll wait some months, while I like the gameplay in these games, having just finished this one I'd rather play some other stuff right now and look into 3 once I'm feeling like more VK.

and no one mentioned the fact that in the same scene a chick stomps on a guys face because he accidentally looks up her skirt

cireza

You forgot about the APC to which is a big game changer as well.
Absolutely. For information the APC was already included in Valkyria 2 & 3, but it is a real game changer in 4 because of the vast maps.

I literally never used the Ship Orders.
They are really useful to clear the maps quickly, and for the harder difficulty levels. Otherwise, you can live without them.

Last edited:

Kazza

It looks like their is a new complete edition, plus the original VC4 has received a permanent price drop:

The Snake

Unlocked the very last mission yesterday. I've had the game since launch but I don't play it often so it's been slow going for me. Absolutely love it though.

The last few missions are total BS as they seem to trade in the tactical military concept for brute force superpowered bad guy fights.

Kazza

Unlocked the very last mission yesterday. I've had the game since launch but I don't play it often so it's been slow going for me. Absolutely love it though.

The last few missions are total BS as they seem to trade in the tactical military concept for brute force superpowered bad guy fights.

Nothing wrong with taking your time. Some people seem to want to force themselves to complete games (probably feeling the pressure of a backlog), but I sometimes leave games for months at a time, and then go back once the hunger to play returns.

cireza

Put two tanks next to each other, and witness tank automatic assist when shooting. Use orders to replenish ammo. Pure awesomeness.

So I know this is a VC4 thread but man I just had to share. I just completed VC and man I adore this game. Thankful I randomly saw it on GP and decided to try it out, really knew nothing about this series before.

I hope VC4 comes to GP. As far as 2 and 3 I’ll just read story synopsis. I’ll miss Squad 7 though. Great stuff.

Edit

It wasn’t until midway thru the campaign I learned that playing on higher FPS caused bugs. I just thought that tanks couldn’t go uphill before that lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom