• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xbox Series S after two years of PS5

onesvenus

Hm strange. PS5 switches to its own input just fine even if I'm on another streaming service or input when I turn it on, but the Xbox while it will wake up the TV, doesn't until I press the button. I have all the CEC options on. Weird.
In my case it's the other way around. Can't get CEC to work with the PS5 🙃🤣
I always thought the implementation on my TV was broken

Kataploom

Gold Member
Or 3rd system.
Or first, I don't think someone who plays games very frequently and has the XSS as main platform is in the wrong, many circumstances can make a person not even think on the bigger machines and be happy with that one... Using the console with a 1080p monitor on a computer desk is one reason I can think of and many young players are doing so

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Games running often 1080p 30fps is better than a 4K spaceship with disc drive.
dumb patrick star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Godot25

Banned
U saying like 500$ is some big crazy saving purchase, its not, man, even in my country that is much poorer vs any western one xsx/ps5 is budget option vs buying proper high end pc.

From my pov buying xss vs xsx/ps5 is even bigger difference compared to playing on base ps4(aka ps pleb edition) vs ps4pro, i can understand ppl who had no choice coz ps4pro didnt exist till few years into the generation but here u got easy choice right away- cheaper bad value product vs bit more expensive(not tons more expensive) but much better product, again look at it from longterm pov, not initial purchase amount- xss is extremly bad value, hence its getting all kinds of pricecuts despite massive inflation numbers everywhere.
Did u hear about any ps5 pricecuts? Ofc not, sony recognized its product is amazing value and even raised its price.
Please stop.
I live in eastern Europe and 500€ is for many people 2/3 of their monthly wage. And we are talking about Europe. There are several countries (mainly in South America) where getting Series X/PS5 is almost impossible for "Average Joe" due to wages vs. prices of consoles.
Your stupid elitism does not reflect current world. I have both Series X and Series S, and S is a great console which I bought primary for my kids. If Series S would not exists, I would not bought a second Series X for kids. Period.
And also. What has "PS5 pricecut" has anything to do with Series S? Yes, Series S is not being scalped and resold with 200€ markup. So what? It's still being sold out in my country thanks to 50€ promo during Black Friday. And I need to stress out that we are predominantly PlayStation country. I personally know many people who bought into Xbox ecosystem and Game Pass only because of Series S. So talking about "bad value" is just pretty pathetic, since Series S + Game Pass for 3 years with Gold conversion method is probably best deal in gaming, since for 430€ you can get next-gen console with 3 years of Game Pass. Wich is a price you can't even get a PS5 Digital Edition for.

Yes. I'm sure that people buying Series S reeeealy care about missing ray tracing, or lowered details, or lower resolution in games. Because they are probably same people who are visiting Digital Foundry, right?

Like...you can have valid criticism against Series S and not sound like a elitist dick. For example, SSD space is reaaaaaly low (364GB available) and options of expanding are pretty expensive.

Last edited:

PeteBull

what an outrage.
On PC, if you own a GTX 1060, you pay less for games than people who own an RTX 4090

/s

This might well be the most brain-numbingly bad argument I’ve read on GAF this month.
1060 vs 4060 is few k $ difference(at least here in europe u cant find any 4090 below 3k euro/usd), 1060 is 250-300$ midrange gpu from july of 2016, there is a reason so many ppl got it- every steamsurvey proves it- it was amazing value back then- even back in 2016 it had as much power as xss

PeteBull

Please stop.
I live in eastern Europe and 500€ is for many people 2/3 of their monthly wage. And we are talking about Europe. There are several countries (mainly in South America) where getting Series X/PS5 is almost impossible for "Average Joe" due to wages vs. prices of consoles.
Lucky coincidence, i live in eastern Europe too.
By ur logic spending 500€ is too much, but spending 80euro on games is ok- if some1 can fork up 80€ for games person can w/o any problem fork up 500€ for console too- 1time purchase in 7-8years of whole console generation.

Rykan

How to say that you are 12 years old without saying it.
That's cute, were you trying to meme? Look for the proper format next time. Try looking for the edit function while you're at it, so you don't have to double post.
Please stop.
Your stupid elitism does not reflect current world. I have both Series X and Series S, and S is a great console which I bought primary for my kids. If Series S would not exists, I would not bought a second Series X for kids. Period.
And also. What has "PS5 pricecut" has anything to do with Series S? Yes, Series S is not being scalped and resold with 200€ markup. So what? It's still being sold out in my country thanks to 50€ promo during Black Friday. And I need to stress out that we are predominantly PlayStation country. I personally know many people who bought into Xbox ecosystem and Game Pass only because of Series S. So talking about "bad value" is just pretty pathetic, since Series S + Game Pass for 3 years with Gold conversion method is probably best deal in gaming, since for 430€ you can get next-gen console with 3 years of Game Pass. Wich is a price you can't even get a PS5 Digital Edition for.

Yes. I'm sure that people buying Series S reeeealy care about missing ray tracing, or lowered details, or lower resolution in games. Because they are probably same people who are visiting Digital Foundry, right?

Like...you can have valid criticism against Series S and not sound like a elitist dick. For example, SSD space is reaaaaaly low (364GB available) and options of expanding are pretty expensive.
With all due respect, but I'm not sure how strong your argument that other consoles are too expensive for Eastern Europe really is when you yourself have both a Series X and a Series S. People who argue against the value of a Series S do so on the notion that you'll buy it as your only Xbox. It's pretty easy to brush the disadvantages of Series S aside when you're just using it as a secondary console next to Series X.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Lets call person elitists dick, yup, thats amazing for discussions, and like i said, xss is bad value, 3x weaker gpu from xss, much smaller ssd space like u mentioned, less VRAM too(even after official info about devs getting access to bit more of it- still it only shows the need to have more wasnt fake). tiny bit lower clocked cpu(but this probably wont matter actually).

Even if u look at it 200 vs 500 euro/usd its bad value, not to mention when u count in whole generation of expenses, aka buying games and very likely gamepass/psplus.
Every1 can see it, definitely every1 here on enthusiast gaming forum, since im not arguing here with 70yo grannies buying xss for their grandkids as xmas present, but i would assume relatively techsavy ppl who know at least basic math. got properly functioning eyes, can recognise 30 vs 60fps difference and/or 900p vs 1440p or 1080p vs 4k difference.

There is a saying(dunno if in english) in my language- when u are poor u cant afford to buy cheap things- meaning behind it is- when u cheap out u often lose twice, and thats xss owners in my book- thinking they getting a deal but actually across whole generation paying almost same cash in total numbers but despite all that getting much more gimped experience compared to if they paid bit more upfront for xsx/ps5.

Ozriel

M$FT
1060 vs 4060 is few k $ difference(at least here in europe u cant find any 4090 below 3k euro/usd), 1060 is 250-300$ midrange gpu from july of 2016, there is a reason so many ppl got it- every steamsurvey proves it- it was amazing value back then- even back in 2016 it had as much power as xss

And yet they still pay the same prices for games.

Steamdeck users with an 8CU RDNA 2 GPU pay the same for games as people with flagship GPUs.

You don’t really have a point. At all. How that post made it past your drafts should be cause for reflection.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Lets call person elitists dick, yup, thats amazing for discussions, and like i said, xss is bad value, 3x weaker gpu from xss, much smaller ssd space like u mentioned, less VRAM too(even after official info about devs getting access to bit more of it- still it only shows the need to have more wasnt fake). tiny bit lower clocked cpu(but this probably wont matter actually).

Even if u look at it 200 vs 500 euro/usd its bad value, not to mention when u count in whole generation of expenses, aka buying games and very likely gamepass/psplus.
Every1 can see it, definitely every1 here on enthusiast gaming forum, since im not arguing here with 70yo grannies buying xss for their grandkids as xmas present, but i would assume relatively techsavy ppl who know at least basic math. got properly functioning eyes, can recognise 30 vs 60fps difference and/or 900p vs 1440p or 1080p vs 4k difference.

There is a saying(dunno if in english) in my language- when u are poor u cant afford to buy cheap things- meaning behind it is- when u cheap out u often lose twice, and thats xss owners in my book- thinking they getting a deal but actually across whole generation paying almost same cash in total numbers but despite all that getting much more gimped experience compared to if they paid bit more upfront for xsx/ps5.
It’s not bad value though. I have one alongside my PS5 and Switch Oled and it’s an amazing console (y)

The fact that you’re talking about framerate differences, when in 95% of cases the framerate matches the big boys, sort of shows that your just regurgitating what you’ve seen on GAF.

Godot25

Banned
By ur logic spending 500€ is too much, but spending 80euro on games is ok- if some1 can fork up 80€ for games person can w/o any problem fork up 500€ for console too- 1time purchase in 7-8years of whole console generation.
Ehh. Did I say anything about "buying games for 80€?" Probably not. Because
1. you don't need to buy game as soon as it came out for 80€ (duh?)
2. Game Pass, which in case of Xbox covers all your first-party purchases. Unlike PlayStation 5

Need I say more?

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
With all due respect, but I'm not sure how strong your argument that other consoles are too expensive for Eastern Europe really is when you yourself have both a Series X and a Series S. People who argue against the value of a Series S do so on the notion that you'll buy it as your only Xbox. It's pretty easy to brush the disadvantages of Series S aside when you're just using it as a secondary console next to Series X.
Because my whole country is not consisting of "me, me and me." I have way above average wage. But that does not mean I would be able to buy (or justify buying) 2 Series X consoles. Fact is that I bought Series X day one thanks to One X trade-in, which saved me 200€. And i bought Series S later because it was that cheap of a console for my kids.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I would like to go to your math class honestly.
Because if you are buying less expensive console, you are paying less money overall even if you factor in buying games. Because games are not somehow pricier for Series S, then they are for Series X/PS5. And that's not factoring Game Pass. You know that I can have Series S with 3 years of Game Pass for less money than PS5, right? Or I can have 2 Series S consoles and controller extra for price of one PS5.

Fact is. Every objective proof is pointing to the direction, that Series S was a great idea for(and from) Microsoft. Almost half of all Xbox Series consoles sold are Series S. And nearly half of all Series S owners are actually new to Xbox ecosystem. Which is main point of Series S existing. Series S/Game Pass combo are part of reason why Series consoles already outsold entire Xbox One generation in Japan. And that all despite fact that Microsoft outside Forza 5 and Halo Infinite did not have big first-party games for 2 and half years.

And you don't need to talk about RAM/GPU/CPU etc. Because average Series S user does not care about any of it. At all. Do you think my kids care about 200MHz less clockspeed on Series S CPU? Nope. Do you think they care about split pool of RAM? Nope. They are happy they have "their" console at all. And that we can play together up until at least 2028.

And after all. Nobody is forcing you to buy Series S. If important things for your gaming experience are high framerates and high resolutions, then get another 250€ (or 300 for PS5) and you are fine. I found great value out of Series S, I bought it and I'm satisfied by it. And that's more important then your "technical analysis"

Last edited:

pasterpl

I have got 1 series x for me, and 2 series s for kids and they use it like crazy (40h/week) it has became their main gaming and entertainment device for them. They play on 1080p tvs and don’t care about technical details.

PeteBull

I have got 1 series x for me, and 2 series s for kids and they use it like crazy (40h/week) it has became their main gaming and entertainment device for them. They play on 1080p tvs and don’t care about technical details.
So u arent exactly an example of person who couldnt afford xsx but got xss coz its cheaper, i see from ur nicname u are from Poland, like myself, and contrary to what some1 said u could afford 3 current gen consoles :)

Thebonehead

Banned
It's funny right, almost always its the "i own a PS5 and PC but let me tell you about how I know the Series S is not a good console" crowd.

🤔
Hey I own a PS5 and a mid-tier gaming PC (12900k, 32GB ram, 3080 )

In my defense I also own the XsX and a switch.

Buy once, Cry once is the equivalent here.

As for for the rest it's like picking graphics cards. Your entry point to the experience is defined by that and you adjust settings to extract the performance you need

CeeJay

80euros probably isn't OK either.

This is where Gamepass steps in and say's that you don't need to spend 80euros for a single game. If you are savvy you can probably get to 2 full years of Gamepass with that 80euros (add another 40euros and you can stack it to 3 years). Even if you are uninformed and pay the full retail price for GP 120euros will get you a 12 month sub. That's a hell of a lot of value and even at full price that's a console and 2 full years of worry-free gaming for the price of a PS5 or XSX.

I've managed to get to 6 years of Gamepass Ultimate for about £200 by buying and stacking cheap Xbox Live Gold and upgrading it (i did my first 3 years as soon as the deal was available and have recently renewed it by doing the same again). I have a XSX but, if i did buy a XSS then that would be almost that 7-8 year gen for less than the price of that PS5/XSX one-time purchase that you mention.

The value in XSS and GP is not even debateable and yet you have to use some ridiculous counter arguments to try and play it down. I don't know why you need to try so hard to make XSS look like a bad console, it's obviously not aimed at you. For the vast majority of casuals the games aren't going to look or play any different to the full fat consoles.

PeteBull

The value in XSS and GP is not even debateable and yet you have to use some ridiculous counter arguments to try and play it down. I don't know why you need to try so hard to make XSS look like a bad console, it's obviously not aimed at you. For the vast majority of casuals the games aren't going to look or play any different to the full fat consoles.
So now its gamepass on top of xss, from my pov gamepass is terrible service- subjective pov ofc- xbox exclusives(pc and console exclusives, so not real ones, and yup, same applies to ps4/ps5 games who launch same day on pc, no more exclusives from my pov) except forza motosport/horizon(not saying future ones from activision/blizzard, i say currently) dont scream musthave to me, once situation changes i can reevaluate( free on launchday elders scrolls 6 with actual good scores, not like last bad online elder scrolls game or bad online fallout game) would definitely be such title, but again thats personal preference.

About any games not free on launch- if i like them i buy them, if i dont like them i wont play them no matter discounts or even if its given for free- almost no exceptions here, last game i tried on heavy discount was order 1886 just to see how it actually looks graphically and if its really as bad as scores said- it was solid 7 in my books tho, simple but extremly good looking game which i got for 15-20$ few weeks after launch- it was massive bomb and got discounted heavily very fast.

Another title im gonna buy/play asap is diablo 4(again activision/blizzard game, so future microsoft game,i will buy it on pc), giving u examples so u guys know i dont hate everything xbox/ms by default, if i like it(like hopefully d4 and later elder scrolls 6) i will buy it at launch- for me end result matters, aka simply if game is good/enjoyable(cant enjoy ones on xss for obvious reasons, so explained my pov sincerely here).

pasterpl

So u arent exactly an example of person who couldnt afford xsx but got xss coz its cheaper, i see from ur nicname u are from Poland, like myself, and contrary to what some1 said u could afford 3 current gen consoles :)
Yeah, I am from Poland, but I work and live in the UK since 2007 and can afford more than 3 xbsx but don’t see a point of getting kids full blown consoles if they will play only Fortnite, just dance, just sing and Minecraft and use these as Netflix/Disney/paramount etc boxes. Especially when they play on 1080p tvs. I do have 42 inch oled gaming monitor and 2x top of the range 4k laser projectors that I use for gaming and movies. Got also extensive collection of retro game hardware and games starting with ps one, gba, vita, ps2, og Xbox, 360, Xbox one x, Dreamcast, GameCube etc. powerful gaming pc, steam deck and switch oled - what I am saying, pricing/cost is rarely issue for me if I want to buy something.

On the other hand, I keep tabs on what’s happening with Poland I can fully understand why people struggle to buy more than 1 full blown next gen console.

LordOfChaos

It works on mine. I remember at some point it didn't and I changed a setting.

Shit's weird. Got an off brand dock for Switch and that doesn't do it. PS5 and XSS do it.
In my case it's the other way around. Can't get CEC to work with the PS5 🙃🤣
I always thought the implementation on my TV was broken

The Accidental Tech Podcast guys always talk about how HDMI CEC has ghosts for everyone, before now I was blessed not to have them but I guess this is one of those things 🤣

Freeman76

I bought both the PS5 and XSX on release, and by far prefer the xbox ecosystem.

I couldnt not own a PS5 for their exclusives, it was worth the purchase just for Returnal and Demons Souls alone, but it literally is an exclsuives machine for me and everything else I buy on Xbox. MS are far more consumer friendly, due to being on the back foot all the time. This gen I have grown a real dislike for Sony, they are on some bullshit most of the time.

The final straw for me was after not being a PS+ member for a while all my cloud saves were deleted. My old PS4 broke and I had no way to access all my saves, literally all my progress from a whole generation of gaming gone just because I chose to opt out of their ecosystem for a while.

MS is superior my a long shot in this regard, as well as GP and BC they have really done well in the last few years.

JLB

Banned
That's cute, were you trying to meme? Look for the proper format next time. Try looking for the edit function while you're at it, so you don't have to double post.

lol you got triggered.

Kataploom

Gold Member
So now its gamepass on top of xss, from my pov gamepass is terrible service- subjective pov ofc- xbox exclusives(pc and console exclusives, so not real ones, and yup, same applies to ps4/ps5 games who launch same day on pc, no more exclusives from my pov) except forza motosport/horizon(not saying future ones from activision/blizzard, i say currently) dont scream musthave to me, once situation changes i can reevaluate( free on launchday elders scrolls 6 with actual good scores, not like last bad online elder scrolls game or bad online fallout game) would definitely be such title, but again thats personal preference.

About any games not free on launch- if i like them i buy them, if i dont like them i wont play them no matter discounts or even if its given for free- almost no exceptions here, last game i tried on heavy discount was order 1886 just to see how it actually looks graphically and if its really as bad as scores said- it was solid 7 in my books tho, simple but extremly good looking game which i got for 15-20$ few weeks after launch- it was massive bomb and got discounted heavily very fast.

Another title im gonna buy/play asap is diablo 4(again activision/blizzard game, so future microsoft game,i will buy it on pc), giving u examples so u guys know i dont hate everything xbox/ms by default, if i like it(like hopefully d4 and later elder scrolls 6) i will buy it at launch- for me end result matters, aka simply if game is good/enjoyable(cant enjoy ones on xss for obvious reasons, so explained my pov sincerely here).
Well, sorry but that's just you... And probably me, you know I don't care about Halo Infinite or Forza, but most people out there are not playing everything on release, like me, many just browse the library and see whatever calls their attention.

Currently I'm playing Scarlet Nexus and Mortal Shell, games that released like... last year? I don't remember anymore... Game pass put them on my radar, and I'm already looking at what else to play there... And those aren't even first party or exclusives.

I would get one if I could play my Steam games on it since they are all digital anyway. The only all digital game "console" I ever bought was a PSP Go. But I bought like 3 of them since they were going for like $40 at one point. If it goes to like $150, that's impulse buy territory and I would probably snap one up right away.

LordOfChaos

I would get one if I could play my Steam games on it since they are all digital anyway. The only all digital game "console" I ever bought was a PSP Go. But I bought like 3 of them since they were going for like $40 at one point. If it goes to like $150, that's impulse buy territory and I would probably snap one up right away.
My PS5 is the disk version, but the only physical game I ever got for it was Immortals (which, eh), and only maybe a couple in the whole PS4 gen, so my behavior is already pretty well suited for all digital. I get why people want to preserve disks but I don't shop much and digital sales just work better for me.

LordOfChaos

U can check DF vids/articles to see actual cuts xss gets vs xsx and ps5, in most cases its lower resolution but many times other cuts are there too, like weaker shadows, lack of ray tracing, some games, and depending on the person-thats probably the most hurtful cut- lack 60fps mode or run with visibly worse fps/dont achieve that target, to not look far recently launched sonic frontiers, timestampted so u can see what u missing out vs ps5/xss version
Edit:
To sum up flaws in this one game only: xss vs ps5/xss- 30fps vs 60fps on big consoles, and not stable 30fps but 30fps with incorrect framepacing, ofc huge resolution cut on top.

Conclusion- ppl who paid 300$(or 200$ coz of all kinds of deals nowadays) for xss instead of ps5/xsx, have to pay same full price for games, and get gimped products, sometimes 2x worse(30fps vs 60fps) sometimes only bit worse(resolution, settings/rt cuts), but its pretty bad feeling to pay same price for a game only to get worse product vs some1 playing on ps5/xsx (and nope, that initial 200-300$ u saved wont make up for it imo, ofc there are ppl who dont notice/care about such stuff but from objective pov u can tell its bad deal longterm).

Cute fud narrative, 60fps patch is out

LordOfChaos

The Accidental Tech Podcast guys always talk about how HDMI CEC has ghosts for everyone, before now I was blessed not to have them but I guess this is one of those things 🤣

Also...This started working, today? Didn't change anything and had already rebooted to apply those settings days ago. Frickin HDMI CEC ghosts, man 😅

PeteBull

moving-goalpost.gif

It's obviously on the developers dude, as you were already proven wrong on the previous. Keep finding the gaps if you will, one game/dev proves nothing.
Im happy my xss bros can play sonic in 60fps(if its stable 60 or just target 60 no idea, i guess some tech channels will do the testing and show us:), im sure there is some sheet showing off what cuts xss gets on every game, im not xss owner so i dont care to research for it, but fact is a fact, machine is much weaker from ps5/xsx, if more devs optimise for it-even better, if no then nothing wrong to call it out(and final product matters)

DaGwaphics

Or first, I don't think someone who plays games very frequently and has the XSS as main platform is in the wrong, many circumstances can make a person not even think on the bigger machines and be happy with that one... Using the console with a 1080p monitor on a computer desk is one reason I can think of and many young players are doing so

Definitely. I'm an old gamer and that is my current setup, LOL.

I will upgrade to XSX eventually (hoping to get a custom/LE model for the better resale value), but users that don't post on forums like this one everyday will likely never upgrade and are perfectly happy with the XSS. It's a great machine, and the size is perfect for a desktop setup.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Definitely. I'm an old gamer and that is my current setup, LOL.

I will upgrade to XSX eventually (hoping to get a custom/LE model for the better resale value), but users that don't post on forums like this one everyday will likely never upgrade and are perfectly happy with the XSS. It's a great machine, and the size is perfect for a desktop setup.
Yeah, that's something complainers don't get: You can sell it later and put the rest for the X, splitting the cost

LordOfChaos

Yeah, that's something complainers don't get: You can sell it later and put the rest for the X, splitting the cost

That was also part of my thinking, if in a few years it really does feel like its struggling when things are current gen only, I can always sell it and move on, no big deal.

As of today, I'm not feeling that at all, I just see a few ports where developers use it as an excuse, but it's not the norm, the majority of the difference is just in the resolution and some detail cull. And it's not even the weakest link when things are still cross gen. No big deal especially as a second console, or as a price sensitive one.

Last edited:

sendit

200 dollars more nets you a exponentially more powerful console in the Series X.....Why even go for a compromised Series S solution.

200 dollars more nets you a exponentially more powerful console in the Series X.....Why even go for a compromised Series S solution.
200 dollars gets you a year of Game pass or 200 worth of normal retail games. Sometimes people just want to game and don't care about the specs.

LordOfChaos

What do you think exponential means lol

I already have one of the big twin consoles for higher performance on either its exclusives or on what's available cross platform. The extra GPU performance largely goes to driving more resolution on the X. I just dun care about that on a secondary/gamepass machine. I can tell it's lower resolution sometimes, and then forget about it, it's pretty minor in practice. At 300 dollars on the sale vs 600CAD retail that's 200% the price, what it delivers for half of that and even less than the price hiked PS5 is pretty impressive. The CPU core upgrade being a big part of the improvement this gen and the all PCI-e SSD architecture are still intact, so the XSX has 3X the GPU performance, 4K is also 4x the pixels to drive over 1080p.

If you care about that, get the X! I'm not hating that either. I'm just not seeing where the hate comes from actually owning it and using it next to one of the 4Kinda twins. And devs that blame the SS for games on the PS5/XSX being 30fps are just lying to people, especially where crossgen is so commonplace those are still the weak link.

Last edited:

twilo99

People are just trying to justify paying $500+ for a gaming console by saying that the series s isn’t good enough, it’s normal.

Fucks sake PS5 is so huge.. it's even bigger than the George Foreman grill PS3.

Yeah I would love to hear from the engineers why they needed so much space , but it has to be cooling.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Yeah I would love to hear from the engineers why they needed so much space , but it has to be cooling.

One of the leadup to PS5 interviews or features iirc had one of the chip engineers saying they were worried about having enough cooling for the chip they wanted, but were surprised that the chassis and cooling team had gone even bigger than they expected and they ended up with a load of overhead. I think it's just designed for the very worst case which hasn't come and maybe never will, in a more traditional front to back way than the boxy top venting X. That's why they already had a heatsink redesign/reduction before even having a die shrink, and then another one with the 6nm revision. I could see a Slim next year, but I don't feel like we need Pros yet.

Last edited:

sendit

What do you think exponential means lol

I already have one of the big twin consoles for higher performance on either its exclusives or on what's available cross platform. The extra GPU performance largely goes to driving more resolution on the X. I just dun care about that on a secondary/gamepass machine. I can tell it's lower resolution sometimes, and then forget about it, it's pretty minor in practice. At 300 dollars on the sale vs 600CAD retail that's 200% the price, what it delivers for half of that and even less than the price hiked PS5 is pretty impressive. The CPU core upgrade being a big part of the improvement this gen and the all PCI-e SSD architecture are still intact, so the XSX has 3X the GPU performance, 4K is also 4x the pixels to drive over 1080p.

If you care about that, get the X! I'm not hating that either. I'm just not seeing where the hate comes from actually owning it and using it next to one of the 4Kinda twins. And devs that blame the SS for games on the PS5/XSX being 30fps are just lying to people, especially where crossgen is so commonplace those are still the weak link.
4 v 12 TF is an exponential margin. However, the value of 299 vs 499 is less than a 3x increase in the value you get by going with the Series X (and its not just the teraflops). I get it thought, your bar is lower for how you want a game to perform.

Last edited:
4 v 12 TF is an exponential margin. However, the value of 299 vs 499 is less than a 3x increase in the value you get by going with the Series X. I get it thought, your bar is lower for how you want a game to perform.
No casual customer buys a game console based on TF. They buy it based on games available and price. Who cares about the TF as long as it can play the games you want to play? It's this thinking that shows why so many here expected the Switch to fail.

TL;DR - after...7, maybe? Years away from Xbox, turns out it's a really nice place to be! There are things I like better about each platform and software items I wish each would steal from each other. It's been getting a lot of use time because it's new and I'm excited to have Xbox exposure as well this gen after almost entirely missing the XBO gen.
This is the bane of going multiplatform, these small convenient things you want from one to the other.

johnjohn

A Series S is going to be a no brainer for many gamers in 2023. I already have a Series X, but if I already had a PS5 or Switch I would absolutely be getting a Series S as a secondary console. It's too bad PS5 doesn't have the equivalent, as it stands now I'm more likely to get a Switch than a PS5 as a secondary console.

sendit

No casual customer buys a game console based on TF. They buy it based on games available and price. Who cares about the TF as long as it can play the games you want to play? It's this thinking that shows why so many here expected the Switch to fail.
Agreed. You're right. Why buy any consoles or capable hardware at all. Just subscribe to Stadia, Luna, xCloud, or PSNow. Streaming is inevitable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom