• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xbox Series S after two years of PS5

LordOfChaos

I went from 360 to PS4 to PS5, and had almost no hands on time with the XBO generation

Black friday deal for 300CAD was too good to pass up, I was never exactly looking for one of these but at that price I thought I may as well have exposure to the Xbox side of things and Gamepass.

First impression: What a smol boi! I knew this buying it already, but it's different seeing it, and being used to one of the biggest consoles in the PS5 which looks like an alien civilization landed a spacecraft on my TV stand. The boxy design of the SS I would say generally has a better build quality than the plastic collars of the PS5, the black vent area does get hotter than any surface area on the PS5 but I'm not concerned about this as it seems to be normal for all of them, and just tells me the metal grille is doing some heatsink duties. While warm and moving some air, it never has gotten louder than a murmur at ear-to-console distance.

The controller is a bit less impressive, my first reaction was that if you're sensitive to this it feels slightly cheaper than my two year old used Dualsense, the disposable battery bay door, also the lack of integrated mic, there were a few moments I missed the touchpad, and the vibration motor doesn't compare to Dualsense haptics which truly do feel a gen above. Games that use the Xbox Impulse Triggers aren't as far behind. Games that use the old style vibrations alone feel old in this aspect.

On the performance: Games that are made for the Series...Series? Look totally fine! I barley mind the usual 1080p-1440p performance of the Series S next to the closer to 4K outputs of the larger consoles. If I want to notice, I can be like, ok yeah I remember that grass being sharper, but generally not an issue for me. I see pop-in and stuff on Infinite, but this is also true for the SX, it looks nearly as good as it looks there, just at a lower resolution which I'm totally fine with.

The only place where things get fugly is that the Series S has to run Xbox One/One S versions of games that aren't patched to support it and not the One X version, which means games working from 720p-900p. Now that difference from 720p-900p was quite noticeable vs 1080p much more than 1440p to 4K or even 1080p to 4K I recon. Some unpatched XBO titles I'm just like, how did you live like this lol.

The OS: Really nice! Like I said I've been PS4 and then PS5 so I've been separated from Xbox for many years, but the OS instantly feels at home to me. Settings are easy to understand, and the Modern UI with sharp squares and slick animations does imo give an air of more modernity, even if the Modern design language is itself years old now.

Also an interesting thing - the two QoS settings in networking, I don't really know if they're what did it, but this is the ONLY place game streaming from the internet has worked well for me. I tried it on PC at Infinite's launch and it was just no good, but I was catching up on some Gears here and it was working totally fine, unlike that lag fest I had tried on other platforms. I've tried Stadia as well as Xcloud on PC and it just never worked this well. Interesting. The networking for multiplayer has also been working great. Also slick -- while I was playing it prompted me that there was a better way to play with a local install, and if I wished would install that in the background while it kept streaming the game, and of course all being on the Microsoft account everything would just carry over. Night mode scheduling and independent or completely off light settings for the glowing Xbox logo on the controller are great, even a yellowing filter, which despite the scientific question mark, does seem easier on my eyes and I set up all my computers and phones on that schedule. All really slick. Is Microsoft a software company or something?

Random tidbit: I turned on all the CEC features, and while it's cool it can turn the TV on and off and control the volume, I don't get why it needs me to then press the xbox button again to switch to its input after I figured out that setting, and not just auto switch to itself like the PS5 does. Also keeps switching game mode on and off depending on game and video content, and I guess that's technically optimal, but my TV keeps telling me about it, I think the PS5 just keeps it on at all times.

What's impressing me the most is the landed cost of 345CAD (black friday sale, plus tax) of the Series S. I paid 730CAD for the PS5 before the price hike which would be like 750 now. So that's 47% of the big boi console cost, while still being, and this might get political, but a clear next gen experience, with the all PCI-e SSD system, Zen 2 CPU cores, and the same GPU architecture, it's just cut down to doing what the big consoles do at 4K, down to 1440p, or sometimes what they might do at 1440p at 1080p etc. This seems totally fine to me for the cost sensitive or people like me who had a PS5 and wanted exposure to the other side.

There's been all this talk about it being an albatross and developers wanting launch requirements canned (I'm afraid to ask at this point what that even means), and the 8GB available to games might become the first limit I'd imagine, but we're just not in the 7th gen and before here anymore, time moves on and so do tools, we don't code to every register of a console, and if the Series S is struggling in the future there are many ways to pare down for it, as well as tools getting more efficient about streaming what's needed in and out. Besides, call me when so many games aren't still written for 8th gen before telling me this is holding anything back, I don't see it.

TL;DR - after...7, maybe? Years away from Xbox, turns out it's a really nice place to be! There are things I like better about each platform and software items I wish each would steal from each other. It's been getting a lot of use time because it's new and I'm excited to have Xbox exposure as well this gen after almost entirely missing the XBO gen.

cant-we-all-just-get-along-hannah-kepple.gif

also still feels like I robbed someone to be playing Deathloop and Infinite and so on for $1 lol

Last edited:

Rykan

Honeymoon phase.

Also, saying that the Series S just runs games at a lower resolution (1440p instead of 4k, 1080p instead of 1440p) is an oversimplification over what really happens. The corners being cut on Series S are often a lot more than just a reduction in resolution.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Honeymoon phase.

Also, saying that the Series S just runs games at a lower resolution (1440p instead of 4k, 1080p instead of 1440p) is an oversimplification over what really happens. The corners being cut on Series S are often a lot more than just a reduction in resolution.

What do you think will annoy me about it later, or do you just mean running out of games to play?

I know it's an oversimplification, but I'm mentioning this as the best case of what happens, games where it's cut to 1080p or 1440p but largely look the same as SX aren't bothering me at all, I can tell where things would be sharper at 4K, but it's just a nicety. Where they're reducing shadows and so on it's really hard to tell unless I was going back and forth with a Series X like DF etc. Largely, games actually made for Series S look fine, the biggest shortcoming to me so far is that it can't run One X versions and One versions look like garbage

I also wanted to jump in on the series s for $200 from woot even though i have a ps5 but i just couldnt find any reason to as much as i tried convincing myself. None of the exclusive games are that interesting to me (halo 3 and horizon were some of my faves on xbox before though). The emulation thing is great but i have all those retro consoles and games already.

Also gamepass, is NOT a great value if you dont care much about the games. Like if i had it of course id play those games but its not like im itching to, you know? Anyhoo, great purchase though, it really is a bargain.

modiz

Honeymoon phase.

They match nicely with the corners cut in people's wallets during energy crisis and inflation/recession.

Klosshufvud

It's a neat little console. Actually feels really old school in how small it is and how easy it is to navigate. And with a USB, you can get emulation up and running up to Wii with ease. So you have this neat little retro box on top of current-gen machine. I agree that the controller is just a big step down from Dualsense though. Assymetrical layout doesn't vibe with me. But I do prefer batteries over lithium. It's basically a goldmine console if you want to nostalgia.

PeteBull

What do you think will annoy me about it later, or do you just mean running out of games to play?
U can check DF vids/articles to see actual cuts xss gets vs xsx and ps5, in most cases its lower resolution but many times other cuts are there too, like weaker shadows, lack of ray tracing, some games, and depending on the person-thats probably the most hurtful cut- lack 60fps mode or run with visibly worse fps/dont achieve that target, to not look far recently launched sonic frontiers, timestampted so u can see what u missing out vs ps5/xss version
Edit:
To sum up flaws in this one game only: xss vs ps5/xss- 30fps vs 60fps on big consoles, and not stable 30fps but 30fps with incorrect framepacing, ofc huge resolution cut on top.

Conclusion- ppl who paid 300$(or 200$ coz of all kinds of deals nowadays) for xss instead of ps5/xsx, have to pay same full price for games, and get gimped products, sometimes 2x worse(30fps vs 60fps) sometimes only bit worse(resolution, settings/rt cuts), but its pretty bad feeling to pay same price for a game only to get worse product vs some1 playing on ps5/xsx (and nope, that initial 200-300$ u saved wont make up for it imo, ofc there are ppl who dont notice/care about such stuff but from objective pov u can tell its bad deal longterm).

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Series S has been a good purchase for me, I bought it at launch. Its a step up from One X/PS4 Pro in terms of accessibily, load times and frame rates. I don't use it anymore since I have PS Plus Premium (my GP expired and I have so much to play on PS5 and not much time) since that also has a wealth of games. I wouldn't use the X anymore either. But its still great to have as its the only way for me to play classic NG2, Mirrors Edge, Sonic Generations, Dead Space 2, Prey and all properly on console.

The Xbox seriously has a problem with exclusives, the last one I played was Halo which is almost a full year ago. But I had GP running so I didn't have to purchase it.

U can check DF vids/articles to see actual cuts xss gets vs xsx and ps5, in most cases its lower resolution but many times other cuts are there too, like weaker shadows, lack of ray tracing, some games, and depending on the person-thats probably the most hurtful cut- lack 60fps mode or run with visibly worse fps/dont achieve that target, to not look far recently launched sonic frontiers, timestampted so u can see what u missing out vs ps5/xss version
Edit:
To sum up flaws in this one game only: xss vs ps5/xss- 30fps vs 60fps on big consoles, and not stable 30fps but 30fps with incorrect framepacing, ofc huge resolution cut on top.

Conclusion- ppl who paid 300$(or 200$ coz of all kinds of deals nowadays) for xss instead of ps5/xsx, have to pay same full price for games, and get gimped products, sometimes 2x worse(30fps vs 60fps) sometimes only bit worse(resolution, settings/rt cuts), but its pretty bad feeling to pay same price for a game only to get worse product vs some1 playing on ps5/xsx (and nope, that initial 200-300$ u saved wont make up for it imo, ofc there are ppl who dont notice/care about such stuff but from objective pov u can tell its bad deal longterm).

Odd to use a poorly optimized title 3rd party game to show what the XSS is capable of. This title is not typical.

This title is far more accurate in showing the differences. Usually XSS titles can be expected to have at least 60fps modes with lower resolution and effects as designed. There isn't a cheaper better performance option out there.

MilkLizard

Edit:

LOL, they just fucked that game up. It sucks ass on every platform.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I would get that to run my 360 games bc if it had a drive.
But other than that I am not interested in only digital console that is barely 1080p…

cireza

Banned
and nope, that initial 200-300$ u saved wont make up for it
Are you aware that most of people purchasing only a Series S would have never put 500$ in a console ?

They get to play the exact same games for almost 300$ less. How people still don't this after all this time is beyond me. Not everybody is loaded with money as you are.

Sonic Frontiers, by the way, is an ambitious multi-platform game that includes Switch. I think that SEGA and the Sonic Team must be some of the last developers to even do this. Of course it is going to be a complicated game with many challenges on a technical aspect.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Are you aware that most of people purchasing only a Series S would have never put 500$ in a console ?

They get to play the exact same games for almost 300$ less. How people still don't this after all this time is beyond me. Not everybody is loaded with money as you are.

Sonic Frontiers, by the way, is an ambitious multi-platform game that includes Switch. I think that SEGA and the Sonic Team must be some of the last developers to even do this. Of course it is going to be a complicated game with many challenges on a technical aspect.
U saying like 500$ is some big crazy saving purchase, its not, man, even in my country that is much poorer vs any western one xsx/ps5 is budget option vs buying proper high end pc.

From my pov buying xss vs xsx/ps5 is even bigger difference compared to playing on base ps4(aka ps pleb edition) vs ps4pro, i can understand ppl who had no choice coz ps4pro didnt exist till few years into the generation but here u got easy choice right away- cheaper bad value product vs bit more expensive(not tons more expensive) but much better product, again look at it from longterm pov, not initial purchase amount- xss is extremly bad value, hence its getting all kinds of pricecuts despite massive inflation numbers everywhere.
Did u hear about any ps5 pricecuts? Ofc not, sony recognized its product is amazing value and even raised its price.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
My Xbone was dying and all I wanted was a fresh Xbox with some better specs to play Halo Infinite on. Forza Horizon was Meh and I can play MSFS. Nevermind older titles with better IQ and FR and the Emulation aspect. Bought and played Elden Ring on it.

It's small, sexy and most importantly super silent.

There was no direct need to splurge another 200€.

I'm saving that for a PS5.

cireza

Banned
U saying like 500$ is some big crazy saving purchase, its not, man
I suggest you give the 300 missing dollars to every single person buying a Series S. Then it will prove your point.

Did u hear about any ps5 pricecuts? Ofc not, sony recognized its product is amazing value and even raised its price.
hence its getting all kinds of pricecuts despite massive inflation numbers everywhere.
Yeah I really wonder. What will the player who buys a console for three games : Call of and/or FIFA and/or GTA should buy ? A 550$ console or a 220$ one that will run the exact games ?

There are A LOT of people for who video-games are not a priority, simply a way to have some entertainment every once in a while. A 220$ console is precisely what they will buy, certainly not a 550$ console.

You are completely disconnected from reality.

Last edited:

twilo99

I know it's an oversimplification, but I'm mentioning this as the best case of what happens, games where it's cut to 1080p or 1440p but largely look the same as SX aren't bothering me at all, I can tell where things would be sharper at 4K, but it's just a nicety. Where they're reducing shadows and so on it's really hard to tell unless I was going back and forth with a Series X like DF etc. Largely, games actually made for Series S look fine, the biggest shortcoming to me so far is that it can't run One X versions and One versions look like garbage

I didn’t know what is going to happen with 3rd party games, but in house games are only going to get better as they start using the SDK effectively. You can sort of see it now with Forza Horizon and Gears etc. but iit will become even more obvious as time goes on.

The series consoles are both high quality, enjoy.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It’s meant for casual but obviously works for hardcore as well ;)

Define casual.

Who's more casual; the one buying the high end version and only plays "the current hot game" for 2 hours a week or those that buy the lower end system and plays 8 times the hours?

Sorry. Works well both ways yes. Good post <3

Last edited:
I really liked my xbox sx but I can't see combining gamepass with a tiny ssd being a great selling point on the series s. X is a better value.

Last edited:

twilo99

How is the X better value? Unless you really need 4k or you play competitively and 120fps for a shooter? But if you are chasing frames a solid PC is a much better proposition.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I really liked my xbox sx but I can't see combining gamepass with a tiny ssd being a great selling point on the series s. X is a better value.

On it's own sure. But when the exclusive are lacking and are perfectly playable on SS I'd rather save those 200€ for a PS5.

Just a matter of perspective and available funds.

Still don't see the need. Maybe for someone who doesn't own a pc, but usually people that are that into gaming to buy two hd systems, have the money and time to get or build a pc.

I never owned an xbox, as a pc gamer it was never really worth it.
I am like ooh cheap xbox-s to compliment my ps5 , switch and pc... and yeah no.
Still not worth it.

All the games that are on xbox are also on pc. I have a full gaming rig and steamdeck as well as a steam link streambox for tv pc playing.
What do i get from xbox besides a number of zealot gamepass fanboys?
Most games I own or get cheap due to sales (between steam/gog/PSN/Eshop/CDKeys and physical stores) there is always discounts. Buying on pc gives me crossplay for steamdeck.
I can play halo or any xbox games on the go, on pc monitor, or tv, so why need the xbox?

Last edited:

skneogaf

If you're a console only person then having both is the only option, you'll miss out on so much if you pick a side.

If gaming is your hobby then enjoy all that the hobby offers.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I have both, one on the TV, one on the monitor. Both are well designed for their use case, I think the X upgrade is worth it personally for the cost.

In my opinion it’s a matter of primary versus secondary ecosystem, you should invest most where you play the most.

Top Bottom