• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm Was Initially Hesitant To Let Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Be A Jedi Game

Spyxos

Star-Wars-Jedi-Fallen-Order.jpg

Star Wars Jedi series director Stig Asmussen seemingly nearly walked away from the project after Lucasfilm initially pushed back against developer Respawn's idea to make a game featuring Jedi. In an interview with The Guardian, Asmussen said Lucasfilm was so very protective of Jedi in terms of Star Wars canon that they pushed for a change to call the characters in Respawn's game "Force users."

"To Lucasfilm, the Jedi are like the holy grail. I mean, it's something that they're probably the most protective of, except for maybe Baby Yoda. So we had to kind of earn that. We had to go through a whole process of, why do you want it to be a Jedi? What do you want to do with the Jedi? They were really uncomfortable with Jedi, and they said, 'Let's reset this. Let's call this character a Force user,'" Asmussen said.

Lucasfilm, Asmussen said, wanted to change Respawn's game to focus on a bounty hunter or a smuggler. At this point, Asmussen--who previously worked on the God of War series--said he considered dropping out.

"I'm like, well I think you have the wrong person for the job," he said. "That's not my background. My background came from God of War … I've never worked on a shooter, and you need a different team to do that. You might as well be asking me to make a racing game. And eventually over time, we built that trust to the point where we ended up calling [the franchise] Jedi."

In the end, Respawn convinced Lucasfilm and created a series focused around a Jedi named Cal Kestis. His story continues in Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, which releases on April 28 for console and PC.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/can-you-pet-the-bogling-in-star-wars-jedi-survivor/1100-6513074/

The Jedi can't be that important to them, otherwise they wouldn't have shit on Obi-wan Kenobi like that.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Wasn't he a Sith or something in between?
That’s true. He was under Vader and fights against the Empire once he realizes how much Vader doesn’t care. I played it back on launch and I’ve forgotten most of it. I had to look some of that up. Lol

Spyxos

Then why did they completely ruin episodes VII to IX and the Obi Wan Kenobi series, while making Rogue One and Andor great?
Didn't you know that Jedi can fly through space? Lucasfilm apparently didn't know either. They just wanted to make money. They didn't care whether the movie was good or not.

Valt7786

You know I'm genuinely surprised we played as a white male in that game now. Surprised we didnt have to play as Cere.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Our man with the plan, Steve Assmansson.

The Jedi can't be that important to them, otherwise they wouldn't have shit on Obi-wan Kenobi like that.
That's just BS corpospeak. No one at Disney really cares. They don't get anything about this franchise either.

StereoVsn

Considering the "quality" of Star Wars movie and Disney+ output over last 10 years or so, I am not certain what the hell are they protective about.

Doubt anything could be worse then the last two Star Wars movies, last season of Mandalorian, Obi-Wan (maybe last episode was decent but that's it), Bobba Fett, etc...

And yeah, I would take Fallen Order over pretty much anything Lucas Arts produced recently. Well, ok, Andor was pretty good. Came out at wrong time, but pretty good.

StereoVsn

The IP is already destroyed, who gives a fuck? At this point nothing can be worse than TLJ or Rise of Palpatine…
Oh, I wouldn't be too sure. There are 3 new movies rumored and all sound like crap.

Rey is back for the 3rd one, and I can only hope they will drag Palpatine's corpse with that movie for extra "fun", lol.

PaintTinJr

Star-Wars-Jedi-Fallen-Order.jpg

Star Wars Jedi series director Stig Asmussen seemingly nearly walked away from the project after Lucasfilm initially pushed back against developer Respawn's idea to make a game featuring Jedi. In an interview with The Guardian, Asmussen said Lucasfilm was so very protective of Jedi in terms of Star Wars canon that they pushed for a change to call the characters in Respawn's game "Force users."

"To Lucasfilm, the Jedi are like the holy grail. I mean, it's something that they're probably the most protective of, except for maybe Baby Yoda. So we had to kind of earn that. We had to go through a whole process of, why do you want it to be a Jedi? What do you want to do with the Jedi? They were really uncomfortable with Jedi, and they said, 'Let's reset this. Let's call this character a Force user,'" Asmussen said.

Lucasfilm, Asmussen said, wanted to change Respawn's game to focus on a bounty hunter or a smuggler. At this point, Asmussen--who previously worked on the God of War series--said he considered dropping out.

"I'm like, well I think you have the wrong person for the job," he said. "That's not my background. My background came from God of War … I've never worked on a shooter, and you need a different team to do that. You might as well be asking me to make a racing game. And eventually over time, we built that trust to the point where we ended up calling [the franchise] Jedi."

In the end, Respawn convinced Lucasfilm and created a series focused around a Jedi named Cal Kestis. His story continues in Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, which releases on April 28 for console and PC.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/can-you-pet-the-bogling-in-star-wars-jedi-survivor/1100-6513074/

In the scheme of things - what has come out after Lucas sold SW, Clone Wars Season 3 onwards? - they shouldn't have worried at all IMO.

However, if in the context to the few good/acceptable things Disney have managed, forgetting their mainline film abominations and baby Yoda rubbish mocked the franchise, then yes, they should have been worried.

Although I finished the first game, it was buggy, the game mechanics and skill tree weren't good and belittle the Jedi in the way it folds out, and the dialogue/story premise was weak and felt too box ticking woke for good/acceptable SW, and poorly matched the animated series canon. Better than nothing, but hardly great, acceptable mainly for the graphics IMO.

All the SW animated series are disney's best efforts, but all have issues for me in the middle to end - bringing back Maul and adding Witches is more Flash Gordan writing than SW IMO - and even the non-mainline films like Solo, Rogue One,, or series like Andor which I very much liked - or at a push acceptable Kenobi/Book of Boba/Mandalorian - all have quality/canon/cringe moments, and Asoka's trailer looks budget quality for such a great Clone Wars character from what I've seen, and a poor choice of casting for a character that by Clone wars canon should have more allure and peter pan approach to her work.

EA chose a very good actor for the main role for this series going by his performance as a young Joker in Gotham, but it didn't translate well in the game writing for me. I didn't like the God of War reboots, and the SW to Uncharted , meets Tomb Raider reboot cross-over was interesting to see, but probably not for me buying a sequel. A Jedi game needed more of a Death Stranding quality or something completely different skill based like Wonderful 101 or delivered in a Zelda/SotC form to make it more than a B-movie experience IMO. They should have taken the shooter option of the smuggler, as the gameplay would have been superior going by the old Dark Forces games.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
In the scheme of things - what has come out after Lucas sold SW, Clone Wars Season 3 onwards? - they shouldn't have worried at all IMO.

However, if in the context to the few good/acceptable things Disney have managed, forgetting their mainline film abominations and baby Yoda rubbish mocked the franchise, then yes, they should have been worried.

Although I finished the first game, it was buggy, the game mechanics and skill tree weren't good and belittle the Jedi in the way it folds out, and the dialogue/story premise was weak and felt too box ticking woke for good/acceptable SW, and poorly matched the animated series canon. Better than nothing, but hardly great, acceptable mainly for the graphics IMO.

All the SW animated series are disney's best efforts, but all have issues for me in the middle to end - bringing back Maul and adding Witches is more Flash Gordan writing than SW IMO - and even the non-mainline films like Solo, Rogue One,, or series like Andor which I very much liked - or at a push acceptable Kenobi/Book of Boba/Mandalorian - all have quality/canon/cringe moments, and Asoka's trailer looks budget quality for such a great Clone Wars character from what I've seen, and a poor choice of casting for a character that by Clone wars canon should have more allure and peter pan approach to her work.

EA chose a very good actor for the main role for this series going by his performance as a young Joker in Gotham, but it didn't translate well in the game writing for me. I didn't like the God of War reboots, and the SW to Uncharted , meets Tomb Raider reboot cross-over was interesting to see, but probably not for me buying a sequel. A Jedi game needed more of a Death Stranding quality or something completely different skill based like Wonderful 101 or delivered in a Zelda/SotC form to make it more than a B-movie experience IMO. They should have taken the shooter option of the smuggler, as the gameplay would have been superior going by the old Dark Forces games.
Buggy?

Woke?

Mechanics not good?

What the fuck are you talking about? All those other imaginary issues aside, what was it about this game that was even remotely "woke"?

PaintTinJr

Buggy?

Woke?

Mechanics not good?

What the fuck are you talking about? All those other imaginary issues aside, what was it about this game that was even remotely "woke"?
None of the crew are driven by the natural order of things in any universe - far far away or not - to eventually pair bond, and all have presentation to suggest pair bonding is their last concern even when their mission ends.

Compare and contrast with the crew of SW Rebels - which is also delivered pretty woke - but still adheres to the reality that in a natural distribution more people want to pair bond than not, and two sets are present - is my opinion.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
None of the crew are driven by the natural order of things in any universe - far far away or not - to eventually pair bond, and all have presentation to suggest pair bonding is their last concern even when their mission ends. Compare and contrast with the crew of SW Rebels - which is also delivered pretty woke - but still adheres to the reality that in a natural distribution more people want to pair bond than not, and two sets are present - is my opinion.
UnfortunateWetGoitered-max-1mb.gif

None of the crew are driven by the natural order of things in any universe - far far away or not - to eventually pair bond, and all have presentation to suggest pair bonding is their last concern even when their mission ends.

Compare and contrast with the crew of SW Rebels - which is also delivered pretty woke - but still adheres to the reality that in a natural distribution more people want to pair bond than not, and two sets are present - is my opinion.
R.aa27383a5743c0ab7d7ae70bb35b3de8

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Fallen Order bar SWTOR, both Animated series and maybe the first couple seasons of Mandalorian were the only good things to come out of Star Wars.

The 3rd trilogy of movies was awful and I very much preferred the original books for 7-9 that comprised of Jacen and Jaina Solo.

Bunch of retcons for such a lacking vision.

They were hesitant of Fallen Order because it was surprisingly good instead of bad.

PillsOff

Banned
Were they hesitant about.... Just say..

EVERY FUCKING DECISION THEY MADE FOR THE LAST 35 YEARS THAT DROVE THIS FRANCHISE INTO THE FUCKING GROUND or was it just this one bout making a Jedi videogame?

AJUMP23

Didn't the Respawn SW game start as something else?

And it is the only decent SW game we have gotten. Lego SW turned out to not be that fun.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Even George Lucas hated her when she worked under him. She has a hate boner with everything Star Wars.

I loathe Kathleen as the next person, but I would like sources for this claim. I would believe it post-Disney but prior to the acquisition, Lucas and Kennedy seemed like they were on the same page.

Wildebeest

They are protective of Jedi and how they are used in new media? In translation, they are very protective of ways the IP could be leveraged to make new popular characters which could be made into action figures and other merch. Money that they don't get their greedy mits on. The actual image of Jedi and what they mean to people, they don't care except to take a dump on it.

Top Bottom