• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucky and Wild - Namco’s hybrid driving / shooting quasi-masterpiece

VGEsoterica

I say quasi because it’s not perfect lol

anyone remember Lucky and Wild? It’s one of those games I fondly remember and still love but I rarely hear mentioned. It’s classic early 90’s Namco...amazing sprite work, some seriously impressive for the time scaling, a great concept and a satisfying soundtrack.

Basically it’s just Point Blank behind the wheel of a car...and there is less than nothing wrong with that! I remember playing it in maybe 97 or so and it was pretty legit great. Giant cabinet, full driving controls PLUS a cabinet mounted gun so you could drive and shoot at the same time. If you had a second player it got even more fun as you could tell each other what to aim at and get some decent teamwork going.

Sadly it was never ported but in this instance I could see why; I have less than zero idea how you’d play it at home. Maybe left hand on a controller and right hand on a GunCon? Would be a fun exercise to figure out but it would have been infinitely harder to pull off at home vs arcades.

Still wish they’d tried. It’s basically the sister game to the Point Blank series and more GunCon games would have been very welcome.

But it goes to show sometimes when arcade controls get too complex it basically kills any chance for a home conversion.

Sadly I rarely hear this game mentioned much any more. Anyone here remember it or get a chance to play it? Def still worth a play...especially if you have a second player

Birdo

Banned
This game is living proof of what made Arcades so fun. An experience you just can't replicate at home. You need to be sat in the cab with a wheel in your hand and a friend with a light gun.

It even has cat girls.

VGEsoterica

This game is living proof of what made Arcades so fun. An experience you just can't replicate at home. You need to be sat in the cab with a wheel in your hand and a friend with a light gun.

It even has cat girls.

I think it would have been possible on the Wii now that I think about it. Just from a technical standpoint. Accelerate and steer with the Nunchuk while shooting with the Wiimote

and yes cat girls lol. Weird choice but amusing on the part of Namco

HotPocket69

Banned
I think it would have been possible on the Wii now that I think about it. Just from a technical standpoint. Accelerate and steer with the Nunchuk while shooting with the Wiimote

and yes cat girls lol. Weird choice but amusing on the part of Namco

Or someone uses that MK steering wheel/wiimote combo and the other person uses the wiimote to shoot (bonus points if you use the attachment from Links Crossbow Training)

Would’ve been sweet

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Or someone uses that MK steering wheel/wiimote combo and the other person uses the wiimote to shoot (bonus points if you use the attachment from Links Crossbow Training)

Would’ve been sweet

also a solid option. Sadly by the time of the Wii I don’t know if Namco would have even remembered this game existed lol

Top Bottom