• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 3 review thread

Bullet Club

Bl2ukrL.jpg

Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Oct 31, 2019)
Developer: Next Level Games

Trailers:
l7vFvp7.png

wjeNIgf.png

IGN - 8.3 / 10
Luigi's Mansion 3 is so fun, charming, and smartly designed that I hope we get more than three of these every 20 years.
Game Informer - 8.5/10
Luigi's Mansion 3 is a fun ghost-hunting adventure regardless of your experience with the franchise.
GamesRadar+ - 4.5/5
Luigi's Mansion 3 takes you on a memorable spooky adventure packed full of creative puzzles, fantastic level designs, and oodles of charm.
GameSpot - 8 / 10
Luigi's first ghost-filled adventure on Switch offers up another satisfying blend of exploration and puzzle-solving.
Destructoid - 9/10
The Luigi's Mansion franchise has come a long way since the original was criticized over its lack of content. With an absorbing single-player campaign and a Scarescraper that still packs a punch, Luigi's Mansion 3 is the most content-rich entry in the series, and one of the best times I've had with my Switch in 2019.
TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10
With a lot of gameplay enhancements from previous iterations, a gorgeously rendered game world, and a whole host more besides, Luigi's Mansion 3 is easily the apex of the franchise. The sheer amount to see and do, along with the amount of adorable details, make this game a wonderful experience and one I would recommend. Sucking at games has (rarely) felt this good.
Shacknews - 9 / 10
If you’re looking for a fun, enjoyable, and hilarious adventure to add to your Nintendo Switch’s library, then you can’t go wrong with Luigi’s Mansion 3.
EGM - 8 / 10
Luigi's Mansion 3 is the biggest and best entry in a befuddling franchise, and a game that really makes a case for everyone's favorite second fiddle to get more spin-off adventures. Developer Next Level Games has expanded on the Poltergust's abilities in meaningful ways, adding more variety to the action and puzzles alike. Gooigi might seem a little shoehorned, but it's a great excuse for cooperative multiplayer on a system built for it. A few minor annoyances aside, Luigi's Mansion 3 is a strange, charming, and generous sequel.
Nintendo Life - 9 / 10

Luigi's Mansion 3 is not only a graphical powerhouse and showcase for Next Level Games' unrivalled mastery of video game animation, it's also an immense helping of spooky fun as well. The amount of care and consideration poured into every facet of the game is abundantly clear, and it all results in one of the most enjoyable and attractive Switch titles of the year. It's also the undisputed high point of a franchise which – following this sterling release – will hopefully get even more love and attention from Nintendo fandom, and the gaming community as a whole.
Eurogamer - Recommended
A new spin on the series sees Next Level Games serve up character and charm in abundance.
Vooks - 90/100
Luigi’s Mansion 3 is the best in the series, gooey hands down. Its fully co-op compatible story mode constantly delights and innovates, taking full advantage of Luigi and Gooigi’s vacuuming antics, both old and new. Although the dedicated multiplayer modes ultimately aren’t going to sustain repeat visits, they are a sideshow to the story’s main haunt.
Digitally Downloaded - 4.5/5
Boiled down it's a fairly simple riff on GhostBusters, but Luigi's Mansion has been produced with such a sense of humour and eye for detail that it has a personality and uniquely Nintendo quality all of its own.
Impulsegamer - 4.5/5
Luigi's Mansion 3 is the high point of the series, simply because it polishes the Luigi's Mansion formula to a shine.
Press Start - 8.5/10
Luigi's Mansion 3 is an extremely solid entry and another must-have for Switch owners. The game has a tonne of improvements that feel natural and make for great puzzles. It's also an absolute treat visually.
Stevivor - 8/10
Despite its annoyances, Luigi’s Mansion 3 is a hauntingly good time, packed with charm everywhere you look. As someone who has once dabbled in the franchise, I’m already hooked — I can imagine those already in love with Luigi (and Gooigi!) will find this a trick rather than a treat.
WellPlayed - 8.5/10
It might not even be a mansion, but the Last Resort Hotel is the perfect stage to another freakishly fantastic entry into the Other Mario Brother's oddball spinoff franchise
Engadget
If anyone can dream up a worthwhile sequel, though, it's Nintendo. And I hope they do, because Luigi isn't just 'Mario's brother' anymore. He's a character in his own right that deserves just as many starring roles.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Here we go! I was expecting this to land somewhere around 89, but this is good/close enough!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Definitely excited for this! It’s charming game to play for halloween.

Last edited:
Here we go! I was expecting this to land somewhere around 89, but this is good/close enough!

I thought it would do Crafted World numbers. I'm very hyped for the game, but it's a Luigi slapstick comedy game. I still expect to see some points being deducted for not being able to bond with your stepchild enough, still it's right around what Dark Moon got and that game was fucking awesome.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. would like a word :messenger_winking_tongue:

Well, I suppose I really meant "spin-offs based around previously secondary characters, which move the usual headliner (Mario) way into the background." So the best competition that I didn't list is probably the Wario franchise, off-hand.

Shaqazooloo

Andre from gamexplain made a good point about combat imo. I love the tug of war with the ghosts in previous games and i'm not sure how i'll feel about the smash in the long term. It's my only concern about the game honestly. It probably won't be a factor in scarescraper since there'll be a lot more ghosts and things going on, but in the main campaign, if things are too easy because of smash, it could make things a little less enjoyable.

Oh well i'll find out in a few days when i'm actually playing.

Danjin44

Andre from gamexplain made a good point about combat imo. I love the tug of war with the ghosts in previous games and i'm not sure how i'll feel about the smash in the long term. It's my only concern about the game honestly. It probably won't be a factor in scarescraper since there'll be a lot more ghosts and things going on, but in the main campaign, if things are too easy because of smash, it could make things a little less enjoyable.

I don't mind if the regular ghost are easy to beat if the boss fights and puzzles are good and gamexplain praise those parts.

JimiNutz

Banned

I haven't played the previous LM games so not sure how it really compares but I have read some similar concerns re the smash move.

From what I've read there is still a tug of war with the bigger ghosts that you capture and the smash move is mainly used when you are trying to take on multiple smaller ghosts (to prevent other ghosts attacking you while you are in the middle of sucking up a ghost).

So the tug of war mechanic is still used, it's just not used for every single ghost, thus speeding up the gameplay and allowing for larger battles with more enemies at once.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Pfft:

m_57b2a2e5a88e7d5c72099b38.jpg

Only semi-joking. It's a really good game. Sad that there was never another.

I never really got to play this. But I sure would like a HD remake/master for Switch. Or why not a sequel.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I've been playing it since it leaked and it is really really charming if nothing else. Tons of fun.

daninthemix

Who care if they are good games, Next Level Games did pretty good job with games like Dark Moon and Punch Out.
Wasn't attacking them, was just curious. Why did they have the manpower to do everything in-house 2 generations ago, but now they don't.

Danjin44

Wasn't attacking them, was just curious. Why did they have the manpower to do everything in-house 2 generations ago, but now they don't.
This just not Luigi Mansion, Nintendo got help from Monolith Soft to make BotW and Koei Tecmo done most of the work fro FE 3Houses and so far it working out well for them.

Reactions: Isa

Codes 208

I imagine its because it allows for more games to be released yearly. Look at gamecube, it had a few great nintendo games but they released so seldomly and even wii had droughts here and there. This is the first gen that feels like we’ve gotten more than one major first party title from nintendo every year.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
anyone playing this yet? i have to run to a doctor's appointment but ill be playing as soon as i get back. i hear that visually it looks really good!

Bought this morning but not able to play until after work. Is it more like 1 or 2? I wasn’t so hot on the second, but 1 was amazing.

Hissing Sid

Dear God.

I’d just like to remind you that I’m still waiting on that chopper bike I prayed for in the summer of 77 but in the meantime I’d just like so say..

..Thank-you, for Nintendo.

Amen.

Ogbert

Put a couple of hours in. What a charming game.

You have to hand it to Nintendo, they always manage to absolutely nail a basic mechanic. The feeling of shooting the plunger (not a euphemism) and then vacuuming it back (again, not a euphemism) is so damn satisfying. They are so good at making the basic moment to moment gameplay enjoyable.

Put a couple of hours in. What a charming game.

You have to hand it to Nintendo, they always manage to absolutely nail a basic mechanic. The feeling of shooting the plunger (not a euphemism) and then vacuuming it back (again, not a euphemism) is so damn satisfying. They are so good at making the basic moment to moment gameplay enjoyable.

They are whimsical animation gods.

Top Bottom