• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion Arcade; one of the few Nintendo arcade exclusives never to get a home port...and a perfect game for October

VGEsoterica

Nintendo games USUALLY are console exclusives. Sure they have a rich arcade history but a lot of it is bringing console games TO arcades vs developing arcade games that they never actually port to home consoles. If Sega is famous for games stuck in arcades...Nintendo is the 100% opposite

Except on the rare occasion when Nintendo pulls a Sega and DOESN'T port a great arcade game to their home consoles and Luigi's Mansion Arcade is a great example. A Capcom developed game from a Nintendo property running on Sega hardware; its the menage a trois of game development.

But it's a legit amazing game that totally turns the entire Luigi's Mansion franchise on its head and takes it from a puzzle style platformer to a light gun arcade game ala The House of the Dead. It has all the charm of the consoles and 3DS games...except in a totally different (and IMO possible better suited) genre.

and the best part...you can just play it on your PC. Especially because cabs for this game are NOT getting any more common.

But that got me thinking...what unlikely games do you consider perfect for the Halloween season Gaf? Sure Luigi's Mansion arcade isn't capital H horror...but it fits the theme and mood of the season. So let me get some recommendations as I love hearing what the hive mind enjoys

VGEsoterica

Mario Kart GP and GP 2 are two more great examples of Nintendo games not escaping the arcades but that makes more sense as one would assume Nintendo doesn't want to step on their own home console entries

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Luigi’s Mansion has been a good series, always worth checking out. The latest Switch game is excellent

jufonuk

not tag worthy
We have this in a local arcade where I live and you're way better off playing the console games tbh (Luigi's mansion 3 is phenomenal).

My recommendation for Halloween is Heaven Dust 2.

is this any good? I heard the first one was shit

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Puzzle style platformer? Have you been playing some weird Chinese knockoff of LM, OP?

I don‘t remember ever hearing about this arcade. Always something to learn from your threads!

Tams

Gold Member
Eh, I've played the actual arcade machine.

It was fun enough I guess, but too expensive four what it is (an arcade game designed to suck up your coins). Better to just to play the console games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I saw this at Dave & Busters and almost took a photo when the Capcom logo came up on the screen. The on-rails Halo shooter, the Transformers Bumblebee game, The Walking Dead game with the cross bow, and The Dark Escape 4D are some that come to mind when I think about modern arcade games. They’re all on-rails like Time Crisis. House of the Dead Scarlet Dawn is one I’ve wanted to play all the way through, but I don’t exactly want to go there just for that. I tried this game and it felt like they have a good idea of how to make it, but it doesn’t leave a good lasting impression. I’m not dying to go back and play it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom