• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar: Dragon Song (NDS) Screens

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ironclad_Ninja said:
Yeah, my Silvar Star Story Complete box and Eternal Blue Complete box are both glaring at me, demanding that I purchase this day one. I'll probably end up doing so.

Same here. And just today, thanks to the help of another GAFfer, I was able to add that Ghaleon Punch Puppet to my Lunar collection. :)

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
Same here. And just today, thanks to the help of another GAFfer, I was able to add that Ghaleon Punch Puppet to my Lunar collection. :)
You bought that from aoi, right? I was eyeing, but decided against. Spent the money on flipnic instead. I'll find it on ebay later. Nice buy though.

Mejilan

That's right. Aoi. :)

Did they ever make an Alex one? There's a pic of one on the back of the Ghaleon box, but I certainly can't seem to find one.

WTF is Flipnic?

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
That's right. Aoi. :)

Did they ever make an Alex one? There's a pic of one on the back of the Ghaleon box, but I certainly can't seem to find one.

WTF is Flipnic?
I've never seen an Alex one. That's odd

Oh, and Flipnic.
flipnic180703010wf8wr.jpg

Budget priced at 19.99 and it was released today. So far it's really fun, and there are some addictive qualities settling in. Can it tear me away from Meteos? I doubt it, but it should be entertaining nonetheless.

vireland

None were produced besides the handful of Alex samples. There was also a Borgan and Lucia version that were supposed to be with the PC version that never became bug-free enough to release. The wax molds for those two rock, but there's no final puppets for them.

Shouta

vireland said:
None were produced besides the handful of Alex samples. There was also a Borgan and Lucia version that were supposed to be with the PC version that never became bug-free enough to release. The wax molds for those two rock, but there's no final puppets for them.

You should make some of them to sell Vic. :D

Mejilan

vireland said:

Thank you for clarifying that, Vic. Ghaleon's so awesome. He needs to be in a new game.

demi

vireland said:

There was going to be a PC Lunar?

vireland

There was going to be a PC Lunar?

Yes. It was actually released in Japan, but it was so buggy it never was acceptable for US release, though we didn't know that when we licensed it. It's the reason we made the fan edition PS re-release of LUNAR. We stopped making the PS version in anticipation of the PC release and the PC release died, so we did the fan art edition to provide people that wanted LUNAR with a way to get it before we stopped making it. Too bad about the PC version. The Alex was going with that, then Lucia and Borgan were for the PC Lunar2. Like I said, the Borgan would have been awe-inspiring. Just the completed wax mold master by itself was amazing.

Tony HoTT

Banned
Wandering around towns was one of the best parts of the Lunar series. I like how every character has a comment after the townspeople say some shit. Now they've made towns a little map? Fuck that noise.

Christopher

Vic you serioulsy need to whore out those Alex ones, it would def be in awe to see it with the AMAZING Silver Star Story box set.

Why aren't you guys doing Dragon Song, as far as I'm concerned, you guys MADE Lunar for me...the voices, dialog, and everything was just so amazing. Props to John the voice of Ghaleon.

Tony HoTT

Banned
Biohazard said:
Vic you serioulsy need to whore out those Alex ones, it would def be in awe to see it with the AMAZING Silver Star Story box set.

Why aren't you guys doing Dragon Song, as far as I'm concerned, you guys MADE Lunar for me...the voices, dialog, and everything was just so amazing. Props to John the voice of Ghaleon.

Vic hates DS. Plus Ubi got the deal anyways and he probably didn't have any control over it.

Christopher

Tony HoTT said:
Vic hates DS. Plus Ubi got the deal anyways and he probably didn't have any control over it.

Odd. Anyway, playing Lunar Legend really made me break out my PSone and play Silver Star Story...seriously guys thats just one amazing game. It was one of the only RPGs I've talked to the NPC just to see what they and the party were going to respond. Well hopefully in the future WD will be involved in some Lunar project.

btw...isn't odd that Alex is now part of O-Town.

vireland

btw...isn't odd that Alex is now part of O-Town.

Ashley is going solo now that O-town broke up. They're (MTV) doing some reality series on his "back from the ashes" run at a solo career, but now with a wife and new baby. Seems like it might be pretty entertaining and is being shot right now. The making the band didn't really show anything close to how entertaining Ashley can be one on one.

My favorite story of him in the studio is when he was recording Slick for Popful Mail. It was a pretty large part and he spent a LOT of time in the studio. Late in the project he told us about a dream he had where he was locked in the booth and we wouldn't let him out because there was "more to record", and we just kept saying that, over and over, whenever he asked in the dream. Cracked me up, and it wasn't too far from the truth. There was SO much improv in that game. I'd love to revisit it on the PSP.

vireland

No Sega CD version love whatsoever?

There's some really cool things about the SEGA CD version (Lighthouse quest, star dragon theme, etc), but I think the PS versions cover most of it and added some neat things. I've come to accept Shigema's explanation about one "true" story told by different "people" (consoles), with each version picking up things the other forgot, or one storyteller telling the story slightly different.

vireland

Vic hates DS.

Hate is a strong word. I still think the PSP is sexiness incarnate, and the DS is the braces-wearing cousin.

Of course, I couldn't let Goemon get by me, so I got a blue DS again *expressly* for Goemon DS.

vireland

Props to John the voice of Ghaleon.

He's the director of a family planning clinic, and he still is freaked when young people come in and lose it when they hear him talking and realize that he's "Ghaleon" right there before them in a family planning clinic.

Tony HoTT

Banned
vireland said:
Hate is a strong word. I still think the PSP is sexiness incarnate, and the DS is the braces-wearing cousin.

Of course, I couldn't let Goemon get by me, so I got a blue DS again *expressly* for Goemon DS.

That's actually more like me. If the PSP had a lot of the games DS has I would definitely be buying PSP games over DS games. It's just the support isn't there.

You better get Castlevania as well, and you might as well try this Lunar game just because you've put a lot of work into the series. If even just to shake your fist (or your head) at it.

Hero

The graphics are decent, it's not like the Lunar games prior were anything spectacular to other RPGs at the time. Lunar is about charm, not technical prowess.

I will get this on day one, since it's been helluva long time since Eternal Blue came out.

I'm curious, Vic, did whoever the parent Japanese company even give you/Working Designs a chance to pick up the license, or did Ubisoft get it because of their Lunar Legend GBA release?

jarrod

Banned
vireland said:
How about not letting Goemon DS get by the rest of us by localizing it? :)

Christopher

vireland said:
He's the director of a family planning clinic, and he still is freaked when young people come in and lose it when they hear him talking and realize that he's "Ghaleon" right there before them in a family planning clinic.

Ha that must be pretty crazy because watching the "Making Of Luanr The Silver Star Story", he actually TALKS like Ghaleon as well...must be pretty natural for him. Whoa didn't know Ashley Angel actually has kids now, insane...but good for him, I liked him as Alex he really brought out that quiet but cool character. Vic seriously even the talks about the actors makes me want to revisit Lunar, you guys really need to be involved some way some how in future projects.

Mejilan

speedpop said:
No Sega CD version love whatsoever?

The Sega CD version had just one thing that I care about in it that was tragically from the PSOne game... the best standard battle theme I've ever heard in an RPG. The SHIT song that came in the PSOne game (and the GBA Lunar Legends remake) is horrendous. At least the soundtrack CD that came with the PSOne game included some Sega-CD music that was replaced, including that combat thieme. Still, it was pretty bitter to play through the whole game with a shit combat theme.

The overworld map looks alright-- why do the other graphics look like shitty Suikoden 1 graphics? Needs better colors, more detailed sprites, and less/no horrid pixelation. And more than 2 frames of walking animation please.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
vireland said:

FYI, braces are "in" at the moment. :)

jarrod

Banned
FWIW, it seems JAM also handled the GBA Lunar remake and the PS2 Phantasy Star remakes in addition to the SS/PS Lunar remakes.

Kon Tiki

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Nope, from what i've read the only time you explore is dungeons. The overworld and towns are done by selecting a name on the map.
Worked alright for Shining Force on GG.

Edit: demi, stop saying Lunar. tsc

vireland said:

Wait, so you're THE Vic Ireland? Wow, I'm glad I ditched my old forum :lol So are there any other gaming bigwigs around here?

I am... a huge WD fan. I'm kinda starstruck! The copy of Lunar PS1 that I had was like a TREASURE. No one includes goodies like WD does, it's all barebones with everything else--at least over here in America. And the pop culture references thrown in Lunar added a lot to the game. WD's translations are the best, no matter what the average anime/JRPG purist has to say on the contrary. Because the average anime/JPRG purist aren't actually people
roxy.gif
And ANOTHER thing is that WD picks actual good games to localize and not pick them just because "oh god, it's so anime and/or so quirky" like Fresh Games with that damn mosquito game; Alundra and Silhouette Mirage are awesome games.

So yeah, you should show off that PSP love by localizing Princess Crown
roxy.gif
That seems right up WD's alley.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
"oh god, it's so anime and/or so quirky" like Fresh Games with that damn mosquito game

Hey now, Ka was pretty darn fun. Actually, Fresh Games did release some good games over here (R-Type Final being the best of the bunch). They simply had no idea how to design a good boxart. -shudder-

jarrod

Banned
Fresh Games list!

-Mister Mosquito (PS2) 2002 SCEI/ZOOM
-Mad Maestro! (PS2) 2002 SCEI/Desert Productions
-Legaia 2: Duel Saga (PS2) 2002 SCEI/Contrail
-Swingerz Golf (GC) 2002 Nippon Telenet/Access Software
-R-Type Final (PS2) 2004 IREM Software Engineering

...anything else?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jarrod said:
Fresh Games list!

-Mister Mosquito (PS2) 2002 SCEI/ZOOM
-Mad Maestro! (PS2) 2002 SCEI/Desert Productions
-Legaia 2: Duel Saga (PS2) 2002 SCEI/Contrail
-Swingerz Golf (GC) 2002 Nippon Telenet/Access Software
-R-Type Final (PS2) 2004 IREM Software Engineering

...anything else?

Nope. That's it!

I appreciate their efforts, but it clearly just didn't work out (though the troubles at Eidos were likely the cause of the labels death).

Shouta

milkyjay20 said:
Wait, so you're THE Vic Ireland? Wow, I'm glad I ditched my old forum :lol So are there any other gaming bigwigs around here?

Newbie eh? :lol Yeah, that's the one and only Vic Ireland. He's been posting here for ages. And yeah, there's a lot of bigwigs that read this forum.

demi

dark10x said:
Even when they are of low quality? :\

I bought Lufia: Ruins of Lore. So I will have to buy this as well.

Wait, so you're THE Vic Ireland? Wow, I'm glad I ditched my old forum So are there any other gaming bigwigs around here?

It's just Vic Ireland. Who cares. He's not special.

I can't wait for this game to be released. Finally there will be a worthwhile RPG on the DS. I expect this to be the first of many too. Shin Megami Tensei DS, Final Fantasy III, Mario and Luigi 2, Magical Vacation 2, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl... Holy crap!

dark10x said:
Hey now, Ka was pretty darn fun. Actually, Fresh Games did release some good games over here (R-Type Final being the best of the bunch). They simply had no idea how to design a good boxart. -shudder-

Alright, alright, I yield. Fresh Games was pretty neat. I was just downing them so that I could maybe get an autograph.

Shouta said:
Newbie eh? :lol

Sorta... I used to browse from time to time, which is why I have some credence by not being a junior member, and why I can pick up on most of the inside jokes. I know that there a lot of game journalists here, and shit, that's why I'm here :lol I can't imagine a more satisfying experience than getting in an argument with a game journalist; I think it's something I was born to do. So WHO ELSE is here? I'd hate to be, like, reading something from the creator of Tetris and thinking "what an idiot" and not knowing it was him.

demi said:
It's just Vic Ireland. Who cares. He's not special.

Yeah, I know it's not MIYAMOTO-SAN or anything, but a semi-semi-semi-semi-celebrity is still a celebrity in my eyes. I might as well live on a farm.

demi

Miyamoto isn't special either. Fuck both of 'em.

But I'll still play your games.

I'm 100% serious.

Top Bottom