• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

antitrop

It also gave me the biggest laugh I've had in a game for a long time. I went into a stronghold and got into a battle with some war boys and a war cryer. I didn't have any shotgun shells so he strengthened the enemies and I had to roll about and fight like a maniac due to being low on health. Anyway, after beating them he just stops and it's all quiet. I hear a 'So err yeah, you just gonna let me go ? hehe' (or something to that effect) and I then shoot him with my double barrel (had picked up a shell near the end of the fight) and he explodes. Just great timing and gave me a great belly laugh.

Leaving the War Criers until all the other enemies are already dead is one of my favorite parts of the game. I was still amused by it even after 70 hours.

I got stuck the other day

MGdxHrg.jpg

I think I'm closing in on the end of the game at this point. The
Big Chief
mission is up next, am I getting there? I was surprised there was a decent chunk of game left after I cleared all of the threats from each region.

A friend of mine got this on ps4 and he told me the other day the latest patch screwed up the game. He said he is getting audio bugs and frame rate drops along with losing his map. Has this been fixed? I want to pick up this game but not if it's buggy as hell.

A friend of mine got this on ps4 and he told me the other day the latest patch screwed up the game. He said he is getting audio bugs and frame rate drops along with losing his map. Has this been fixed? I want to pick up this game but not if it's buggy as hell.

Framerate drops and sound bugs were there before the patch. I haven't noticed anything drastically different after the patch.

antitrop

The severe framerate drops only happen once you've made some pretty decent progress into the game, so he while he thinks it was the patch that did it, it was just the natural course of progression into the troubled area of the game.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Still probably a minefield. Go to each area of the territory and hit the left stick, it'll tell you what's missing.
This won't help as there are some hidden minefields, it'll still show as completed even though it isn't.
If the background is yellowish on a region there's something that's been missed. It'll go grey once it's 100% clear of threat. I had to take the dog out and he barked pretty quickly even though the minefield didn't show up as an icon on the map.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This won't help as there are some hidden minefields, it'll still show as completed even though it isn't.
If the background is yellowish on a region there's something that's been missed. It'll go grey once it's 100% clear of threat. I had to take the dog out and he barked pretty quickly even though the minefield didn't show up as an icon on the map.

Whether it shows up on the map or not, it'll still display ??/02 so you'll know if you've done it or not. I've never had the game say I've completed a minefield when I haven't, I have had the dog bark at sites I've already cleared though.

jediyoshi

It doesn't. The checklist is explicit as to whether you've finished an activity or not.

antitrop

How bad are they? He makes it sound like it's terrible. Like the whole game is ruined. Does it seem like something they could probably fix with a future patch?

It's a fucking slideshow, lol. Makes the game pretty much unplayable for 10-30 seconds, as there's so much input lag at less than 10fps.

Got a video of it from my PS4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NJETJMeQWg

I have also seen MUCH worse than what I actually got recorded there.

It's a fucking slideshow, lol. Makes the game pretty much unplayable for 10-30 seconds, as there's so much input lag at less than 10fps.

Got a video of it from my PS4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NJETJMeQWg

I have also seen MUCH worse than what I actually got recorded there.

Thanks for posting this. I really want to get this but might hold out for a little while in the hopes that they will patch it up a little.

How bad are they? He makes it sound like it's terrible. Like the whole game is ruined. Does it seem like something they could probably fix with a future patch?

I haven't really had a ton of issues. I mean, I had absolutely 0 framerate drops at all until I got to Pink Eye's territory (the third region in the game). There are just certain areas where you're definitely running at sub-20 FPS. I would say "slideshow" is an exaggeration, but at its worst, it's not much better than one.

Also, I just ran into a glitch that I would have found annoying if it weren't so hilarious. I stopped to talk to a wastelander for a "find the loot" activity. As soon as I spoke to him, I was suddenly 500 feet in the air and fell to my death.

xrnzaaas

This fucking game. First there were the framerate drops which made the game almost unplayable, but I carried on and they weren't so severe after I've stopped all the convoys in Pink Eye's territory. Now I got the infamous map glitch and basically I can't play it anymore since none of the workarounds seem to work. I'm really hoping a new patch will be released soon and at this point I don't think I'll be buying Just Cause 3 on day 1.

Just finished it. Man that ending was garbage. And of course they
killed off Hope and Glory, the only two decent things about the storyline
. On the gameplay front, it was quite enjoyable.

Are the framerate issues on the PS4 version in Pink Eye's territory really that abysmal? Close to unplayable? I am kind of worried even though I have not even completed the first region.

Had a massive framerate drop on Xbox One while driving to Pink Eye's territory for the first time. Must've hit the single digits it was so bad. Really wish this game wasn't so buggy.

Are the framerate issues on the PS4 version in Pink Eye's territory really that abysmal? Close to unplayable? I am kind of worried even though I have not even completed the first region.

This happen to me, and others as well.
My framerate turn to shit when I came across a convoy thats near her stronghold. So I basically just move on into different locations, then when I finish the story I went back to that convoy and for the most part it ran fine.

They're definitely noticeable, and not in a good way. But I wouldn't say unplayable. It's not everywhere, but there are certain areas of the region when you suddenly feel like everything is moving in slow motion. I mean, I didn't see any framerate drops at all, not a one, until I got to Pink Eye's territory. But it did calm down after that.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still only 54% completed, I guess the story quests give loads as I haven't done many but I'm on my 3rd territory. I need to wrap this and hopefully Ryse up before the Uncharted Collection hits.

Ooccoo

I rented the game to try it and one word describes it best: boring.

The combat in particular is just awful.

I'm still only 54% completed, I guess the story quests give loads as I haven't done many but I'm on my 3rd territory. I need to wrap this and hopefully Ryse up before the Uncharted Collection hits.

I finished up last night and was at about 80%. That was with all story and wasteland missions done, all camps finished, and all areas cleared of threats. Plus whatever scavenging locations, races, and assorted other activities I felt like doing. I really don't want to pour anymore time into this with Transformers Devastation and Dragon Quest Heroes coming out over the next two weeks.

I had a framedrop like that once during my 30 hours of play, it was right when I loaded the game up and it lasted a few seconds and then that was the last time it happened.

xrnzaaas

doing the pc version now the map button brings up nothing :\

So the map glitch isn't happening only on PS4? Heh. I thought this was an issue related to the Touch button on the DS4.

I've cleared out most of Pink Eye's territory before the last patch was released so I can't say how this looks right now. Anyway the best way to go is to take care of the convoys as soon as you've arrived at Pink Eye's turf. You'll probably still suffer from frame drops when you'll have more cars in the area, but they shouldn't be so major and irritating.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
What? How so? I think the combat is excellent!!

I'm really enjoying the combat as well, both car and Max on foot. Love the brutality of Max in the fist fights, especially now that I'm fully levelled up. Slam dunking fools and stabbing them in the face, never get tired of it. Love the Magnum Opus as well, really enjoying the driving, want my V8 engine though :(

This happen to me, and others as well.
My framerate turn to shit when I came across a convoy thats near her stronghold. So I basically just move on into different locations, then when I finish the story I went back to that convoy and for the most part it ran fine.

They're definitely noticeable, and not in a good way. But I wouldn't say unplayable. It's not everywhere, but there are certain areas of the region when you suddenly feel like everything is moving in slow motion. I mean, I didn't see any framerate drops at all, not a one, until I got to Pink Eye's territory. But it did calm down after that.

So the map glitch isn't happening only on PS4? Heh. I thought this was an issue related to the Touch button on the DS4.

I've cleared out most of Pink Eye's territory before the last patch was released so I can't say how this looks right now. Anyway the best way to go is to take care of the convoys as soon as you've arrived at Pink Eye's turf. You'll probably still suffer from frame drops when you'll have more cars in the area, but they shouldn't be so major and irritating.

By reading all of this I believe the safest bet is to remove the convoy from the get-go once I enter the region. I am nowhere near that territory as of yet, but thanks for the tips.

Fardeen

this is the first 3rd person view game where i get motion sickness when i play, either when on foot or when i in the car, the camera seems off

Just defeated Top Dog at his stronghold.

Goddamn that was amazing. The atmosphere in this game.. Wow.

Yeah its cool the first time, but every other fight is exactly like the first one. They just repeat.

Thankfully the strongholds are all different.

nded

Mad Max is a good game that is several tweaks away from being a great game, in hindsight. There's so much that could have been handled just a little differently to put it over the top.

brau

Over the weekend i did the mission in the
airport
. Holy cow was that awesome. This game is just too much fun so far. If only, i think it just needs more missions. But i love love love how much attention they put to all the outposts, all the small places, and all the story and narrative in the world.

I feel like i know more about Mad Max than i ever did.

Also. Love how the game looks. Seriously... for this being this open world, even when some things repeat, the game is very very unique.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Mad Max is a good game that is several tweaks away from being a great game, in hindsight. There's so much that could have been handled just a little differently to put it over the top.

Sums the game up perfectly. They have a fantastic framework for a sequel at least.

brau

Sums the game up perfectly. They have a fantastic framework for a sequel at least.

I would like to know what kind of tweaks you would like to see in the game.

I think the game just needs more cool missions. But appreciate the missions they did have in the game. They didn't have to water down the ones they had to make up for the requirement of having a lot of them.

I would like to see better facial animations and interactions.

Better photo cam and settings.

Hmm.... i dunno what else. I really love how detailed and smart the world is. And what i mean by smart is how much sense it makes. It tells a story of its own that i have not seen since Dark Souls.

Less littering of the same objectives in the game, and the way that missions could tie between each other would be nice. TW3 did that very nicely.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

- Mine fields removed or reworked, it's not fun driving around searching for them (maybe allow us to call the dog the same way we call the car, so if we randomly find a field we don't have to go back to base, change to the buggy then drive all the way back)
- Improved car handling across the board, no more spinning out of control for hitting a grain of sand
- Richer story that develops a little slower
- Unique Top Dogs serving as more substantial boss fights instead of the palette swaps we have now
- Less scrap locations, remove the 1/1 scrap sites entirely
- Unique territory objectives, don't just have the same check-list over and over
- Wardrobe feature that lets you change Max's appearance and attire, independently of stats

brau

- Mine fields removed or reworked, it's not fun driving around searching for them (maybe allow us to call the dog the same way we call the car, so if we randomly find a field we don't have to go back to base, change to the buggy then drive all the way back)
- Improved car handling across the board, no more spinning out of control for hitting a grain of sand
- Richer story that develops a little slower
- Unique Top Dogs serving as more substantial boss fights instead of the palette swaps we have now
- Less scrap locations, remove the 1/1 scrap sites entirely
- Unique territory objectives, don't just have the same check-list over and over
- Wardrobe feature that lets you change Max's appearance and attire, independently of stats

These are good.

I wanted more customization to the car and to Max himself. Independent of the natural upgrades.

The spinning out of control is true.

And the Top Dogs being the same is a big issue as well.

nded

[ARMCHAIRDEV]
-There is basically no indication of the various non-hostile factions outside of their respective strongholds. It would be nice if, as Max liberates their territories, you start seeing their vehicles and caravans in the wasteland. Maybe you can help them out against hostile parties or vice versa for some extra scrap if you want.

-The strongholds even seemed to correspond to vehicle upgrade paths (Jeet = explosive weapons, Gutgash = armor, Pinkeye = engine upgrades, Deep Friah = flamethrowers), which could tie in to the Magnum Opus upgrade tree and make for interesting faction vehicles. Avalanche seemed to play with this a bit, but they definitely could have gone further with it.

-Work in some unique gimmicks for Vehicles other than the Magnum Opus to make up for the lack of Chumbucket. The Pursuit Special could have a much faster boost recharge and larger fuel tank, and for faction vehicles that include a space for a boarder or lancer you might be able to convince friendly wastelanders to assist you if your faction level is high enough. The Dinki-di buggy in particular seems like a wasted opportunity to have a vehicle that's less well suited for vehicular combat but includes a canine pal you can take into strongholds to assist with on-foot combat.

-Top Dog fights could use some variety. I would have been perfectly okay if they used beefed up versions of regular enemies for some of them. You could have a leadslinger top dog, for example, and his fight could involve Max avoiding fire while moving through his stronghold. That top dog in the arena could just as easily have been a modified war crier.

-There's also a bunch of story stuff that fell flat, but I don't really have any suggestions as to how to make them better. I think it would've been funny if Chumbucket slowly accumulated converts to the Church of the Angel Combustion as the story progressed. Then, in a slightly modified ending sequence, his disciples could
give him a Viking funeral by putting putting him in the Magnum Opus, on fire and speeding off into the Big Nothing
[/ARMCHAIRDEV]

To be great there needs to be real War Rig convoys with vehicle hopping combat, and motorcycles. Period.

Well that and some actual mission design/pacing. Like I know Avalanche is big on the whole "huge open world for the player to create their own fun" thing, but they should start embracing the idea of set piece gameplay (read: set-piece, not scripted) and integrate their mechanics into lots of little mission arcs that build up to huge climactic moments sprinkled throughout the campaign. There's a reason why Rockstar basically aped themselves in GTAV by basing the entire game around planning and executing heists we saw only a few times in San Andreas and GTAIV. There's an immense satisfaction in open world games when you go around doing stuff that feels important because the game is building up to explosive moments that, in turn, build up to more explosive moments later on. This is an area where I think Avalanche is really lacking as they try to chase this concept of emergent action. Not saying that free form action games aren't entertaining, they are, but the game would be a more well rounded experience with a little direction every once in a while. There's nothing wrong with manufactured high points. A convoy mission with some context and anticipation is a million times more memorable than just another random convoy, even if the action in both is the same.

Top Bottom