• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

Tigress

It happened out of the blue but unfortunately the area was locked out due to the fire he turns on at the stairs. Had to reload the game for it.

Nah, just run right through the fire, it's just a little damage, right?

LOL!! Amazing. I thought something funny was going to happen to the guy, not Max himself. Nice little curveball therre xD

Not that it wasn't funny but I think it would have been even funnier if it had been the boss. I actually had a similar experience playing Borderlands 2 where I ended up outside the arena (but they made it so you could go back in, just not leave). But I found it was easier beating the boss by sniping him from below (This was the first big boss battle on the boat arena). It didn't help this was on my Vita and this particular boss battle really made the Vita lag (though it's the worst the game runs. Finished the entire game and it never got that bad again). So it helped cause it made it so it didn't have to show so much stuff slowing it down at once.

Finished this on Monday, 100%'ed all the regions.
Really had a blast with this title and very glad I picked it up. My only real issue was the occasional frame rate dip bug that hounded me at the worst possible times, but I can count the occurrences on one hand, so in ~50 hours, it's not too bad.

Doubt I'll go for Plat with all the grindy car/enemy requirements, but there's still a little life in this with side missions and fully upgrading my car.

Anung

Un Rama
Started playing this again and I'm in the second half of the map working for pink eye and the frame rate keeps keeps jumping up and down. Shit is weird.

Really had a blast with this title and very glad I picked it up...

easily earns my vote for sleeper of the year. not really expecting much after enjoying mgs v, i had no idea just how addicting this friggin' game was gonna be. it looks & feels like a labor of love, &, for me, really nails the whole road warrior thing (the supporting cast is perfect). pure chaotic fun :) ...

Mighty Duster!

I laughed my ass off when this happened. In the heat of the battle...
Haha, that's great! I wonder what would have happened had the boss been flung, if he'd take enough fall damage to die or not. I actually had a similar experience yesterday when I was playing; went to fly a hot air balloon tonget a view of the map, and of course it had no fuel. *sigh*. So I go back down the walkway, down the ladders and find a gascan, take it back up and go to fuel the balloon and.. Barely any fuel, so I go to fly and it says 'low fuel' and then stops just as I was about to pull out the binoculars and gently drifts down to earth. Frustrated, I luckily find a gascan in the back of my Magnum Opus and go back to refuel the damn balloon, press X on my 360 controller when I'm next to the balloon AND HE LIGHTS IT ON FIRE INSTEAD OF REFUELING! Panicking, I go to throw it off the edge of the platform but, typically, it bounces back at me, explodes, launches me off said platform and I land face first on the Magnum Opus, dying instantly.

What a lovely day!

g23

European pre-madonna
So just finished the ending..kinda anticlimactic but does anyone know if there any alternate or secret endings to be seen? Also what the hell was the plains of silence anyway? I feel like missed something...is that like a metaphor for Max being all alone again?

antitrop

Started playing this again and I'm in the second half of the map working for pink eye and the frame rate keeps keeps jumping up and down. Shit is weird.
Ya, it's a well-documented occurrence. Make clearing out the convoys a priority, as that may help the performance in the second half of the game a little.

see5harp

I hate how laggy the controls feel in this game on foot. I realize that they probably made the driving feel like shit so that you could upgrade your car and feel the difference but on foot this shit is worse than The Witcher 3.

Just finished the story there.

DGIK8dF.png

I'm sad, but also a little relieved. The story really kicks into gear when you get to Gastown, it should have been like that all the time. I still enjoyed it mostly. It's an oddly relaxing, fantastic looking game with some real problems with repetition. Worth getting on sale.

zma1013

So I found the corpse of a
sky diver hanging from a pole
out in the big nothing area east of Dry Gustie region and wondered if anyone else did. It let me use my harpoon on something there but I couldn't find any loot or anything. Is this just some random forgotten thing?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
And finished. That ending made me chuckle.

Got 50 hours out of it and really enjoyed it overall. If you don't like the Ubisoft style fetch quests definitely stay away but I must admit just the Mad Max world, being Mad Max and the general gameplay kept me well entertained for the time. I especially loved driving about and getting into car battles and shooting fuel tanks in another car with your shotgun never gets old. It's the perfect Mad Max simulator. Avalanche really deserve a lot of credit in how they make the world interesting - I mean it's postapocalyptic but they mixed it up in terms of locations from the old world all rusted and broken down and how new places are made from the remnants. My favourite area is the [spoiler[old airport underground in Buzzard territory [/spoiler] that was really awesome. I especially loved the History Relics and the way Max comments over some of them. The actual strongholds were all fun to take over and they seemed pretty diverse in their layouts/designs. It never really felt like anything was purely copy and pasted which was nice. Some of them insignias were bastards to find as well.

With the autumn/winter games all coming out in the next few months this may go a bit sight unseen. But if you're a Mad Max fan/post apocalypse fan and sometime next year are looking for a game to fill that void I definitely recommend it. It'll be cheaper too!.

ClearData

Looks like another patch is incoming. Hopefully this fixed the map bug that some people are getting. I'll probably finally pick this up if the patch works.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Off...Mad-Max-Patch-4-is-Coming-Soon/m-p/837211#M10

Thank you this makes me very happy to hear. They haven't put a date on it yet and ETA is still a couple of weeks but I will definitely pick up the game again once it's fixed. I abandoned my play through because of this bug. I was close to the end too.

Though it seems I might be in trouble if I want the Platinum because I can't seem to find any cars with jumpers to do the stick it to them challenge. I wish this game had the Farcry 3 feature where you can reset the convoys and bases. I didn't know about the challenge and I've taken down all of the convoys.

Thank you this makes me very happy to hear. They haven't put a date on it yet and ETA is still a couple of weeks but I will definitely pick up the game again once it's fixed. I abandoned my play through because of this bug. I was close to the end too.

Though it seems I might be in trouble if I want the Platinum because I can't seem to find any cars with jumpers to do the stick it to them challenge. I wish this game had the Farcry 3 feature where you can reset the convoys and bases. I didn't know about the challenge and I've taken down all of the convoys.

I haven't picked this up yet. I've been waiting for a fix until I get it. I have a friend that had over 100 hours in the game and he stopped due to this bug.

Branson

I beat the game after 25 hours. I totally got my money out of it, I enjoyed the ending, but I'm kind of ready to move on to other stuff. Ill totally go back and want to upgrade my car and max some more though. Great game. Too bad its going to be overlooked.

Also yeah I know the playtime isn't that high compared to other people being 50 hours in and only getting to Gastown but I just really wanted to beat the story. Max was almost maxed out but I have a decent amount of upgrades left on the car.

Kind of like Witcher 3 I want to go back after some other games and time and finish side stuff.

Feels like I am completing it tomorrow at the latest.

My character is maxed out and I am on my 3rd V8 upgrade.

EDIT: Scratch that. Just finished it. Mediocre ending but damn the game was a ton fun.

Not feeling it on getting the platinum trophy, though. The driving was tough enough as it is so completing all Death Runs would be frustrating.

w0s

So I just finished MGS:V and started up Mad Max. I was hoping I could get some general guidance. What are the best things to focus on leveling/what is a waste and dont look back? I've really been just driving around clearing spots on the map and not necessarily focusing on the story stuff, is this a bad idea or a waste of time? Also wtf my first storm came (holy awesome) and it said I would be safe in the car.....needless to say I died in the car. Thanks.

Oneself

So I just finished MGS:V and started up Mad Max. I was hoping I could get some general guidance. What are the best things to focus on leveling/what is a waste and dont look back? I've really been just driving around clearing spots on the map and not necessarily focusing on the story stuff, is this a bad idea or a waste of time? Also wtf my first storm came (holy awesome) and it said I would be safe in the car.....needless to say I died in the car. Thanks.
I would upgrade ammo belt, Max's health, harpoon, boost and special moves first.

Build the scrap collecting team (not the online one) first so they pick up scraps from the cars you destroy in the territory.

danowat

Banned
Started this recently, I'm a bit of a sucker for bloat and general open world checklist stuff, so it's ticking those boxes in spades!.

I have a couple of issues (with the XBO version), firstly, my car upgrades don't seem to save, I will select a ram bar to install and the next time I load the game up, it's defaulted back to the default bar.

Secondly, the autosave menu is broken, it is either has messed up text, or it's just impossible to select.

Are these known issues?

Haunted

So just finished the ending..kinda anticlimactic but does anyone know if there any alternate or secret endings to be seen? Also what the hell was the plains of silence anyway? I feel like missed something...is that like a metaphor for Max being all alone again?
I loved the ending, super fitting for Mad Max. There's no alternative ending I'm aware of.

see5harp

Dude talking dirty about the car when you get out to fetch another bunch of worthless scrap is probably the best thing about this game.

MUnited83

For you.
Did the patch hit without me noticing or something? A bunch of challenges that weren't tracking correctly before seem to be somewhat fine now.

Just finished the game and I liked the ending.
Bleak and miserable.
. I have never watched any of the films so maybe I am not pissed off with it because of that??

I'll probably revisit every now-and-then to clear up all the outstanding bits and pieces that I haven't done yet. I wasn't expecting a great deal from the game but it was a pretty decent ride.

Just started playing this game . I know I will probably tire of the open world but I'm enjoying it thus far . The graphics are incredible and I love the feel f the fighting , every punch feels brutal .

Can't wait to explore the wasteland more

Lego Boss

Just started playing this game . I know I will probably tire of the open world but I'm enjoying it thus far . The graphics are incredible and I love the feel f the fighting , every punch feels brutal .

Can't wait to explore the wasteland more

I normally get open world fatigue and l thought it would be particularly prevalent here, with it being a desert and all, but the terrain is really varied and atmospheric: the Wasteland is easily the biggest character in this game.

It's the best game l've played this gen. I hope you enjoy it half as much.

oipic

Really enjoying this, and strangely addicted to clearing the map. ~46 hours (and as many percent) of the way through, Max is maxed, and I just fully upgraded Gutgash's stronghold.

...and the pesky map bug has struck. Hope the patch isn't too far away, as none of the suggested fixes (other than loading an old save) are working for me.

_RT_

Picked this up due to the comparison (of combat) with batman. PS4 version.
Game is a blast.
Not sure how far I'm into it... but the grind is masked. I really haven't had an issue with any of the missions.

That being said... Holy framerate. I'm not one to complain about this shit, but WOW. Some of the missions are boarderline unplayable due to the drops. Curious if this is a PS4 thing?

Regardless... I'll see this through to the end. With a smile on my face.

Oh yeah... the jumping is lame too. lol

Finally got around to playing this game.

It was this or syndicate but then i re-watched fury road and was pumped to play this.

About half way through the campaign and I like it so far. The frame got REAL bad upon entering pink eye's place but overall i was enjoying it.

But it all changed when
I encountered a "water" mirage.....SOLD

Carm

Fucking bugs. 60 hours , the only bug I ran into was clipping through a wall during a wall execution once. I load my save after being distracted by other games, to finally finish this and I get the fucking map bug. Tried all solutions with only a false positive fix once, map worked after completing a project. I save and close the game to back up the save, restart and map is broken again.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Fucking bugs. 60 hours , the only bug I ran into was clipping through a wall during a wall execution once. I load my save after being distracted by other games, to finally finish this and I get the fucking map bug. Tried all solutions with only a false positive fix once, map worked after completing a project. I save and close the game to back up the save, restart and map is broken again.

Yeah, it sucks, the bug has been known since the beginning of October, it covers all three platforms and yet they're taking their sweet time preparing a new patch. :/

Bought this during the Bundle Stars sale. Loved it up until I finished all the upgrades to Jeet's outpost and then I got the map bug when I reloaded yesterday. What the fucking fuck.

Really hard to play without the map. Probably have to move on to something else. Fun game, but damn near game-breaking bug there that looks like they've been sitting on for months. -_-

oipic

Patch 4 has been released (on Steam, anyway) - pesky map bug is fixed!

Code:
General Updates for All Platforms: 
Map improvements and fixes. 
Fixed a problem with a draw bridge's winch in Great Watcher. 
Fixed an instance where The Jaw's locks couldn't be destroyed. 
Fixed several issues involving projects in Strongholds 
Improved performance in several locations 
Corrected a couple of annoying softlock issues 
Corrected how Warcriers would suddenly stop doing their job if Max would leave the area and then come back without disposing of them. 
Fixed a camera problem in some instances 
Fixed an instance where Insignias wouldn't be accurately tracked after being destroyed. 
Polish of collision meshes against the certain terrain and objects 
Fixed a couple of persistent UI issues 
Corrected the momentary inability to use Fast Travel after certain Wasteland Missions. 
General bug fixes

Win64 Specific Updates: 
Steam Controller support added to the game. 
Fixed an issue where the Resolution defaulted to a lower setting. Saves should now retain the player selected Resolution. 
Fixed an issue where overall volume remained low after adjusting Volume settings. 
Fixed a problem with the Refresh Rate setting being reset to 24hz with the previous patch. Those settings now correctly persist through updates. 
Fixed a problem with remaining stuck in Jeet's Stronghold after completing the Dinki-Di's mission in some cases. 
Fixed a UI conflict issue for Settings not being saved when selecting an option with the mouse and then using the keyboard to change and confirm the change. 
Implemented a Virtual Keyboard for when accessing WBPlay credentials fields with a controller. 
Implemented a smoother loading screen transition across the screens when using a multiple screens display setup. 
Fixed missing images for certain keyboard functions in the Keymapping Options Menu. 
Corrected instances where the Pause menu would display incorrect control labels when switching between Keyboard+Mouse controls and a Controller. 
Fixed a navigation restriction problem after using Escape to exit certain menu panels. 
Fixed the problem with accessing a Challenge Category once that category was completed. 
Polished controls in the Map screen to avoid having the "Action" control result in placing a Marker in the map.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Cmon PS4...get that map fix...I promise I'll 100% you if you just come back.

Carm

Patch hit PS4 about an hour ago, map worked when I loaded my save, let's hope they didn't break something else.

Man the
Gastown race
was really getting to me last night. Had to try it probably 6 or 7 times because I kept getting spun out because of the crappy controls and random jutting textures on the walls. Finally beat it, but boy was it annoying.

Tigress

Man the
Gastown race
was really getting to me last night. Had to try it probably 6 or 7 times because I kept getting spun out because of the crappy controls and random jutting textures on the walls. Finally beat it, but boy was it annoying.

That was my least favorite mission so far (I'm 75% done with the game and since they put the map patch out maybe I'll actually finish it since I'll have time before Fallout... that is if I put Wasteland 2 down). It helped a lot when I realized that if I
went down the different fork and went through the steam/water thing that it healed my car.
Once I figured that out I had it after 2-3 tries (I don't even want to say how many times I tried before that point and I was about ready to say fuck this game I'm just going to do side quests and forget the main mission).

Top Bottom