• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

G_Berry

Banned
Bought this on the recent sale and just finished putting 5 odd hours into it and what a fucking great game!

I have ONE major problem however, the way they pronounce dinki di in the game. As an Australian it was murdering my ears whenever they said it.

It's pronounced dinki di (like dye or die) not dinki dee! It sounds so bad, how they fucked that up I have no idea. Has this ever been brought up or acknowledged by the Devs?

I'm really, really enjoying this game. Bought it in the recent EU PSN sale for £15 and what an absolute bargain. It didn't really seem to get much coverage when it came out, my main focus at that time was MGSV as with probably a lot of others. It reminds me of MGSV a bit too actually, exploring the open desert/wasteland. I don't feel like the wasteland missions or scavenging for loot gets boring as you're getting upgrades on the way which can change the dynamic of the interactions as the game progresses. Now I can just roll up the the remaining few locations for loot and history relics and wipe out most of the camp fairly quickly with the poons, if I choose. I still have act 4 and 5 to go but have probably clocked 70-80 hours so far. I'm going for the platinum so I'm aiming for that as I've read some of the challenges can be more difficult during end game. I've heard some people get glitched out of getting a required piece of loot too that stops them from getting the platinum. Hope this doesn't happen to me.

leng jai

Just clocked it on PC. Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I acknowledge that the game is insanely repetitive. The atmosphere, art and sound design really carry the game through it's many flaws. If they went 100% in and fleshed out this game it had the potential to be absolutely incredible.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
I just bought this game today and I put it in my ps4 and it can't even open the game. Meaning I'm just staring at picture of mad max as he looks into the sunset then my ps4 crashes out. And I have to restart the whole thing. anyone run into this?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Picked this up in the ongoing sale on Steam for 10 bucks. This is an amazingly fun game - way better than your typical movie tie-in game. It's almost too bad it came out the same year as the movie, since I think it would have gotten more attention and praise if the release dates were further apart.

Matush

Looking to start the game later this week and as trophy hunter, I read something about glitched trophies. Is this still the case if I am running latest patch on PS4?

Never checked the OT but I really enjoyed my time with the game. Still haven't completely finished the story but basically got all the collectibles and freed all the regions.

Finally got this today on PS4, and it's so good. The car combat really solves the issue of traveling an open world map being boring; the ramming and dismantling cars with your weapons is very satisfying

The melee combat is fun too, although I still think Shadow of Mordor is still the best M-rated Arkham-style combat. This has a brutal brawler feel to it though, I like it

Landscapes are gorgeous too, and the world is endlessly interesting

Edit: also the car and apocalyptic wasteland makes that Ubi-style outpost formula feel refreshing. Technically it's the same structure - scout, disable, infiltrate, and capture - but the sprawling layouts, the uniqueness of each outpost, the use of the car, and the brutality in wiping out an base makes it all fresh again

Simo

Yeah the brawling and car combat feels so satisfying. The game is beautiful to boot which is why it's a little puzzling WB would go the effort in supporting Mordor for PS4 Pro and not Mad Max when the game looks beautiful as it is now and I couldn't imagine what Pro and 4K could do for it!

The game criminally is absent post-release content when considering the films could of offered a wealth of ideas. Gyrocopter?! Bikes?! War-Rigs?! The Citadel?! Considering the development of this though and the behind the scene stuff I'm not surprised but still, a missed opportunity.

Yeah the brawling and car combat feels so satisfying. The game is beautiful to boot which is why it's a little puzzling WB would go the effort in supporting Mordor for PS4 Pro and not Mad Max when the game looks beautiful as it is now and I couldn't imagine what Pro and 4K could do for it!

The game criminally is absent post-release content when considering the films could of offered a wealth of ideas. Gyrocopter?! Bikes?! War-Rigs?! The Citadel?! Considering the development of this though and the behind the scene stuff I'm not surprised but still, a missed opportunity.
Yeah, I really started loving the brawling once you unlock the limb snapping counter. Those are so satisfying

Actually I'd argue the combat evolves the Arkham formula in smart ways. It makes distance matter because you don't fly across the area to counter and hit. It makes timing matter because those bone breakers require a perfectly timed parry. It forces you to prioritize and parse out your attacks due to those chain finishers and fury mode.

Is there a New Game Plus, or a combat arena somewhere in the world? Or a post-game area when you can always find enemies to fight?

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah, I really started loving the brawling once you unlock the limb snapping counter. Those are so satisfying

Actually I'd argue the combat evolves the Arkham formula in smart ways. It makes distance matter because you don't fly across the area to counter and hit. It makes timing matter because those bone breakers require a perfectly timed parry. It forces you to prioritize and parse out your attacks due to those chain finishers and fury mode.

Is there a New Game Plus, or a combat arena somewhere in the world? Or a post-game area when you can always find enemies to fight?

There's no combat arena (I mean there is but it's story-related and can't be repeated). There are a few places here and there that will always respawn enemies. You'll find a couple of those places around the Gastown area.

Gorgeous game
N3P0ZFb.jpg
DB5s8GW.jpg

ftYldUx.jpg
pd76Zgu.jpg

I bought this in the PSN Black Friday sale for $8 and I'm having a blast with it so far. For one thing it's totally gorgeous and the production levels are astounding, and I think they absolutely nailed everything about the car and the driving physics. The Magnum Opus sounds suitably throaty and the handling is really nice and fun, with great bouncy suspension. The on-foot stuff is surprisingly good as well considering how weak I thought Just Cause was in this department, and I'm enjoying the Batman combat as always. I adore the world design, and it always feels like there's stuff going on or stuff to explore, and I love how desolate and realistic it feels. The storms are just amazing and I'm enjoying nodding my car to make it more powerful. I'm only about three hours in but really enjoying it so far and looking forward to playing more tonight. I'm also aware that people have said it does drag on, so I'm trying not yo get too caught up in side activities.

I've played probably five hours do far, maybe a bit more. This game reminds me of Kingdoms of Amalur in that I try to head to the next story location and move things forward, but I distracted by enemies or things on the map, and then before I realise I've driven two miles in the wrong direction! Still very much enjoying it though, and as an aside I have to say that I really appreciate the checkpoints during missions. Some of them can take quite a long time, and being able to come back to where I'm mid-way through defeating a base is really great.

I fucking love the Magnum Opus. The driving feels so good.

EDIT - the one thing I don't like is how useless Max's jump is. Considering he can't even leap up climbable ledges (have to hold X to get up) and his jump is like a little two foot hop, I would have preferred they improved it or probably just removed it altogether. I don't understand why they'd include a jump button but have actual jumping up ledges assigned to a different button.

Just finished it. I like this game more than I probably should.
I was a fan of the Batmobile in Arkham Knight, so I felt right at home playing this.

Though it kind of sucks that you don't get the jacket til after you beat the game.

Just finished it. I like this game more than I probably should.
I was a fan of the Batmobile in Arkham Knight, so I felt right at home playing this.

Though it kind of sucks that you don't get the jacket til after you beat the game.

Yay; someone else to talk about this with!

At the moment I'm installing things in Jeet's base, and I'm trying to concentrate on taking out bases in the region - I think I've done most of them now. Thought I took down a Top Dog camp last night as well, but maybe I got it wrong as I don't have a trophy for it. I have started to ignore fighting random cars for the most part, as it can take a fair bit of time and the scrap reward is only usually two collectible pieces. I'll maybe do it more later when I've upgraded the Opus more.

Also - what are the Archangel cars? When I go to the vehicle menu and press triangle to see the Archangels, I don't have the option to upgrade anything or choose one of the cars. It kept telling me to install an upgrade, but I didn't have the option.

Yay; someone else to talk about this with!

At the moment I'm installing things in Jeet's base, and I'm trying to concentrate on taking out bases in the region - I think I've done most of them now. Thought I took down a Top Dog camp last night as well, but maybe I got it wrong as I don't have a trophy for it. I have started to ignore fighting random cars for the most part, as it can take a fair bit of time and the scrap reward is only usually two collectible pieces. I'll maybe do it more later when I've upgraded the Opus more.

Also - what are the Archangel cars? When I go to the vehicle menu and press triangle to see the Archangels, I don't have the option to upgrade anything or choose one of the cars. It kept telling me to install an upgrade, but I didn't have the option.

As far as I could tell, archangel cars are just presets of the magnum opus. They unlock when you use the right configurations. You just need the right parts to be used at the same time.

As far as I could tell, archangel cars are just presets of the magnum opus. They unlock when you use the right configurations. You just need the right parts to be used at the same time.

Okay, thanks. I will take another look tonight. Need to get Jeet's territory down to threat level 0 and then move on.

Just been through my first storm, and it was goddamn amazing. I drove away and took up shelter in a base the first time one appeared (which itself was tense as I was trying to get away before it reached me), but the second time I felt a bit more brave and drove into the storm. I love the sound design where all you hear is just loud wind, and it took me a while to notice, but I really like the risk/reward aspect of those large crates blowing around during a storm.

Don't know how many hours I've played now (maybe 8), but I'm still really enjoying this. Best open world I've experienced in some time; maybe since GTAV.

Beat a couple of Top Dog camps last night. I quite liked the first boss fight as most enemies are pretty easy, but are they all exactly the same? I also worked out what the game wanted me to do with The Jack, which was kind of dumb as I already had upgrades beyond that car build at that point. To fully clear an area do you have to search all scrap locations as well as take down snipers, scarecrows, camps etc? I've moved on to Gutgash's territory, and the only thing I don't like about the structure is that sometimes the game needs you to do side activities rather than letting you do them if you wish.

Beat a couple of Top Dog camps last night. I quite liked the first boss fight as most enemies are pretty easy, but are they all exactly the same? I also worked out what the game wanted me to do with The Jack, which was kind of dumb as I already had upgrades beyond that car build at that point. To fully clear an area do you have to search all scrap locations as well as take down snipers, scarecrows, camps etc? I've moved on to Gutgash's territory, and the only thing I don't like about the structure is that sometimes the game needs you to do side activities rather than letting you do them if you wish.

All the top dogs are basically the same. A few have different patterns or weapons, but if you can beat one then you can beat all of them. pretty disappointing.

As for clearing an area, you don't need the scrap locations, only the camps and all the other red markers like scarecrows and snipers.
Keep upgrading your harpoon. It makes things a lot easier.

b0uncyfr0

Did they ever fix the combat FOV? Along with the camera switching to the crates you had harpooned. Little details that made me give up hours into the game?

Breesus Christ

Neo Member
Got this game on amazon for 10$ Bucks on PS4 during the Black Friday sales. And WOW!!!! This game is fucking amazing. Graphically it's a show peice and love how stunning the world is. Awesome gameplay mechanics and the driving is fun as shit imo and a dope upgrade system! good times!!!

Also this game with a PS4 pro patch would be stunning. Imagine 4k/hdr with even more locked 30 fps! Lawddddd.. make it happen avalanche!!!!

One of my favorite games this gen, it does nothing special, but it is just good mindless fun. I was thinking, was this same Mad Max game the one that Cory Barlog was working on?

One of my favorite games this gen, it does nothing special, but it is just good mindless fun. I was thinking, was this same Mad Max game the one that Cory Barlog was working on?

No idea, but I don't recall Cory ever working for Avalanche. I want to say he was at Crystal Dynamics before returning to SSM.

EDIT - no, you're correct. According to Wikipedia he was working with/at Avalanche Sweden on an unannounced game, before going to CD.

Anyway, I haven't played much of this since last week, but I had a good session last night, mostly focusing on building stuff in Gutgash's base to make things easier for myself. I was actually getting a bit bored with the repetitive activities, but a short break did a lot of good and renewed my enthusiasm to play more.

Got the Thunderpoon last night, and it's made the car combat even more enjoyable. I spent a bit of time getting the salvage crew and cleanup crew in Pink Eye's base, and now I'll crack on with more story missions. I love the environment in this game so much. They made it feel really faithful to the film, and despite all basically being one big desert there's still quite a lot of variety in here.

Man, it's a shame how much the frame rate shits itself in Pink Eye's territory. It's really affecting my enjoyment. Also, the bases here are a little too tricky for me and I'm not sure I can be bothered taking them down. And I went into a tunnel to retrieve a War Rig on a mission for Jeet, but I couldn't progress as there was this big container thing and I couldn't see a way to get up on it. I have really enjoyed it, but I'm running out of steam a bit so I think I need to start wrapping things up now.

MUnited83

For you.
Man, it's a shame how much the frame rate shits itself in Pink Eye's territory. It's really affecting my enjoyment. Also, the bases here are a little too tricky for me and I'm not sure I can be bothered taking them down. And I went into a tunnel to retrieve a War Rig on a mission for Jeet, but I couldn't progress as there was this big container thing and I couldn't see a way to get up on it. I have really enjoyed it, but I'm running out of steam a bit so I think I need to start wrapping things up now.

Console or PC?

I've very much enjoyed my time with this game, but I've sort of ran out of steam and not sure I can be bothered going back to it. I've got to retrieve a War Rig from some tunnels for Jeet, but both times I went there I couldn't find anything and I didn't know how to progress as they seemed kinda blocked off. And then I'm supposed to be finding something for Pink Eye on some northern highway I think she said, but I don't remember what that is, it's not marked on the map and I really don't care to drive around until I accidentally stumble across it.

So yeah, really enjoyed the week and probably 15-20 hours I spent with this, but I think I'm done here.

Think I paid $8ish for this? Thanks PSN sales!

Got done with TLG so playing this now. Just got the body for the Opus. Curious how they started the game with this funny cut scene when they could have made it at least a QTE so you engage with Max. Great visuals and looks like it's gonna be fun to play. So far, physical combat and car combat seems like mechanically will all be good. Love the aussie accent MM has.

Is this game buggy? On ps4. I've got to jeets base and this is sort of just after the sniper rifle mission and now the game won't load. Just on the first bit of graphics when you load the game from the ps4 dash

Rebooting ps4pro now

MaKTaiL

Yay! Just got my platinum trophy for Mad Max! I loved the game and I'm glad I got it on sale. I personally love the Mad Max world and this game was just an eye candy to play. I took one last screenshot before uninstalling it. Farewell Max, hope to see you again someday :)

PS_Messages_20170110_183756.jpg

I got this on Black Friday for $10 for XBO. Started playing it around the start of the year and I haven't wanted to do anything else with my free time.

Gosh, what a great game.

Holy shit the end of Act IV got me pumped.

I was a bit disappointed at how quickly it went from end of Act IV to end of Act V. Not a huge deal, because I had put in a TON of hours, but man that went fast.

What a great game. I had so much fun.

Picked this up on sale a bit ago, and it's really a good car combat game. I'm near the end, and my only real complaint is the camera. The camera zooms way out in the Arkham games so you can see what's going on, but in this one it zooms in, faces the wrong direction (auto rotates), or zooms super close when near a wall. Very good overall, though. I wish there was a NG+ so I could do a quick run through again, but I don't want to have to upgrade everything, so this will probably be one I don't touch again for a while.

Oh, and I think this style of game would be amazing with more RPG elements. I keep imagining bits of Fallout:NV in this, so visiting locations would have more of a purpose. Better loot, more story bits, and interaction with the world.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Got back to this recently after finishing off Horizon, and had completely forgotten what a blast it is to play. I'm not too invested in the world and lore and such, so it feels good to simply jump in, cause havoc and brute-force my way through the main story arc.

I recently got to Gas Town, despite having done close to the bare minimum of side content. It's refreshing how the game only gates you in a couple of places (and usually the ”unlock" is a useful upgrade like the Thunderpoon); otherwise letting you to your own devices.
Needless to say, I got to Gas Town thoroughly unprepared and immediately felt way out of my depth upon crossing the border, which was a rush in itself!

Questions:
Everyone's yammering on about this V8 engine, which I'm assuming is a significant upgrade you get after progressing the Gas Town missions a bit.
How much more of the main storyline is there after that point, and how much will it assist with the rest of the game? Should I pull on the reigns a little, or should I continue bum-rushing through?

I'm enjoying this despite its faults but godDAMN are the minefields such a stupid idea. Why can't the dog just go in to the magnum opus? Why do I need to change cars just to disable minefields. ugh

Top Bottom