• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 23 Reviews. Another year, another rushed disaster.

SteadyEvo

Can someone explain how the game is bad or worse then previous entries from a GAMEPLAY perspective? Because to me this is much more realistic than last years arcade garbage

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You do you though, make sure you never play call of duty when you can join the army, and never play Mario when you can scour rivers for turtles to jump on
you never usually get wars like you do in COD, wars are never that fun and fast paced (not to mention it's a literal life and death situation you're putting yourself into)
and in the case of mario..... dude, it's fucking mario. Jumping on turtles isn't all of what makes it fun and unique

bender

What time is it?
you never usually get wars like you do in COD, wars are never that fun and fast paced (not to mention it's a literal life and death situation you're putting yourself into)
and in the case of mario..... dude, it's fucking mario. Jumping on turtles isn't all of what makes it fun and unique

I'm not sure if playing Madden or the high probability of CTE is worse. Let me think about this.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm not sure if playing Madden or the high probability of CTE is worse. Let me think about this.
with the latter you don't have to buy microtransactions, and if you're good enough at it you can make shittons of money... vs the former option where you give EA shittons of money.
easy choice if you ask me

JLB

Banned
Yeah, we'll see ultimately what happens here. Wouldn't be the first or last time a major franchise is supplanted by another, hell not even for EA.

NBA Live and Medal of Honor used to be genre giants before being supplanted by NBA 2K and Call of Duty

Make a proper FIFA competitor would take a 10 years investment on a highly risk endeavour. Wont happen.

bender

What time is it?
with the latter you don't have to buy microtransactions, and if you're good enough at it you can make shittons of money... vs the former option where you give EA shittons of money.
easy choice if you ask me

No one did, pal.

giphy.gif

Lol

Guess you're right, pretty easy to get 22 players together who all have pads/jerseys/helmets/cleats/gloves/mouthguards etc, along with refs and coaches. And get all of that together at the same time. Oh and you have to find a football field not in use, ever play on an uneven, unmarked field? Rip ankles and good luck marking downs

You can probably find a flag football team nearby, but as you stated with Mario and CoD, it's not even remotely the same thing.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
games like rocket league and mario strikers work because they add a fantasy element to sports that could never truly be replicated in real life. Games like COD and Gran Turismo also work because normally dangerous/expensive scenarios can just be avoided and you can skip right to the fun stuff like getting tons of headshots in a game or driving around the nurburgring in a pikes peak escudo

with Madden, FIFA and PES though, im just posed to ask why buy these overpriced cashgrabs when sports are easy to access most of the time and are actually fun when you play them? sure, i guess you can make an argument for football being dangerous to your health and harder to organize, but in the case of FIFA, PES, and 2K you can literally just get a soccer ball and/or a basketball and go to town. you get bragging rights if you win and you dont gotta pay a cent. these are the types of video games that feel completely pointless to me and the type of stuff that does not add to the medium at all.

games like rocket league and mario strikers work because they add a fantasy element to sports that could never truly be replicated in real life. Games like COD and Gran Turismo also work because normally dangerous/expensive scenarios can just be avoided and you can skip right to the fun stuff like getting tons of headshots in a game or driving around the nurburgring in a pikes peak escudo

with Madden, FIFA and PES though, im just posed to ask why buy these overpriced cashgrabs when sports are easy to access most of the time and are actually fun when you play them? sure, i guess you can make an argument for football being dangerous to your health and harder to organize, but in the case of FIFA, PES, and 2K you can literally just get a soccer ball and/or a basketball and go to town. you get bragging rights if you win and you dont gotta pay a cent. these are the types of video games that feel completely pointless to me and the type of stuff that does not add to the medium at all.
You have a better argument with soccer and basketball than football, but again....

You can't play in poor weather, you can't play when it's dark, it requires equipment and getting a bunch of people together on a regular basis, and injuries aren't exactly a rarity.

Football players love playing madden, basketball players love playing 2k.

Balling and gaming aren't mutually exclusive in any fashion

EDIT: just to be clear, I encourage people to play sports as well, some of my favorite memories and best friends were made through them, I don't even play madden anymore with EA not giving a fuck about its quality, but saying that it's pointless because you can do it outside is absurd dude lol

Last edited:
Nah.Its because the game has no competition. What other dev is making a game about american football?

If you want to play a game about it, ypu have to buy madden. And without a threat of losing custumers, madden's dev don't care

Like I said, people with low standards. If they had higher standards, the series would not be where it is now.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Madden 23 is here and is similar to the Madden's of old, however there are some distinct changes such as new seasons and battle passes. Here are 7 tips for new and returning players alike that are brushing the dust off their Madden skills and are ready to drop a few deep ball's to their favorite wide receiver.

Madden NFL 23 pays homage to the late great John Madden with another year of the core gameplay that has kept Madden fans coming back year after year. In this video we take a look at several important tips you should know particularly if you are new to the franchise, or took a hiatus for a few years.

In this video we break down Skill Based Passing and Ultimate Team. We also help you decide if hopping into MUT is the right choice for you. There are also valuable tips such as setting up chunk plays on spectacular passes after establishing the run, as well as a refresher on the differences of game modes like competitive vs. simulation.

If you want more Madden 23 be sure to check out our livestream on our YouTube channel – it’s up right now and is a lot of fun. Also keep an eye out for our official review coming soon. Sound off in the comments how you feel about Madden 23 and what you’re hoping to see with each season.

Timestamps:
0:00 Intro
0:16 Skill-Based Passing
1:50 Adjusting The Camera
2:28 DON'T ALWAYS SPRINT
3:34 Pick Your Defense User Wisely
4:26 Use Your Playbook To Bait The Opponent
5:03 Understanding MUT (If You Want)
6:43 Check Out The Field Pass

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Much as I love the NFL product on the field, the Shield itself is very dubious and corrupt. One day the NFL will take action against EA, once it hits their bottom line or negatively impacts their reputation, and only then. Based on Watson and their response to Covid, it's going to take a hell of a lot for the NFL to blink twice at EA. NFL may be more greedy than EA or FIFA, NFL is just a monster now.

The developers are obviously skilled, but the annual crunch is just way too much, too much pressure and ridiculous schedule.

Hey EA maybe bring back NFL Street and alternate years with main releases, support the main release with a cheaper DLC or Roster pack. Allow for some real development time on the main series.
Maybe put a decent version of Madden on Switch and take advantage of that install base and portable play.

Bring back the traditional 2D maddens with amazing sprite scaling and upgrades as a PSN game. In some ways they still play amazing.
Who owns NFL Blitz these days? maybe buy that and make some updated versions or license it out.

What are Tecmo, Cinemaware or Joe Montana up to these days?

Have you considered a game based on the Canadian Football League, 3 downs and a massive field.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Haven’t played a Madden game for many a year (probably since early PS4 days) so I picked up Madden 23 on PS5 pretty cheap on Friday. Got it for the fact it had Madden on the cover and wanted to eventually buy a Madden for next gen.

Surprisingly I really enjoy it! Presentation is great. Game controls fine. Looks awesome and as far as I can tell, plus a pretty damn decent game of NFL. Not too sure what people are complaining about but seeing as though it’s my 1st Madden for a while, I’m enjoying what I’m playing.

Fenix34

I remove teeth
Only game from sport i like. It was pes with jleague. It was interesting to made competion between j league clubs and clubs from other countries

hemo memo

Gold Member
Do you think the people who buys Madden/FIFA every year check Metacritic or care about the quality of the game? They don’t. It became a habit and social prestige as they’ll be the only one weird friend who skipped Madden/FIFA and not cool with the rest. EA could LITERALLY repackage the same exact game with a different year number and it will still sell.

Nautilus

Banned
Like I said, people with low standards. If they had higher standards, the series would not be where it is now.
It has nothing to do about standards. What, you expect dozens of millions of players to not play the gane and wait patiently while years pass by until *someone* make a good game?

Or you expect EA to care and make a better game just because... they are proud of it?EA?

Lupin25

The gameplay is a small noticeable improvement, but the modes are just horribly executed, especially franchise. This game is still lacking features from NFL games 15-20 yrs ago.

They finally fixed that garbage tackle system to allow for more agency (and less scripted outcomes), but today it’s still less physics-based than even “Backbreakers”.
2K4/2K5 still rival these games sadly.

But like 2K, it’s the only licensed game for the sport (no other option), so neither EA, nor the fans will ever give a shit until that changes.

clarky

Gold Member
it's fucking football, instead of playing a dumbed down virtual version of it consider getting some of your friends and playing an actual game of football that's infinitely more immersive than any PS5 or Xbox version (and gets some of you fat fuckers some exercise too)
never got the point of these sports games besides the nintendo stuff which actually adds a twist

This is certainly a take. LMFAO.

Ill just phone Man City and see if they have space in the squad today for an 50 year old who works 14 hours a day, they might even hold the kick off till i knock off.

Of course like you say i could go down the park for a kick about with the kids but being on the sex offenders register puts the blocker on that one.

Im still holding out on space invaders, that alien invasion is coming any day now.....

REDRZA MWS

Nah mate, I am just a fan that wants more than the absolute bare minimum. If you are OK with mediocrity then good for you! I will keep pushing for an actual evolution of the franchise and better treatment of consumers.
Fight the good fight warrior! I’m a madden head and the game is better than it’s been in many years. Hopefully EA continues to build upon this current version. It’s not mediocre at all, not compared to where the series has been in the past.

REDRZA MWS

The NFL giving exclusive license to EA was the death knell of advancement in the football game market.

Worse that they also had exclusivity in NCAA Football which should have never been legal, but they killed that series off.

That is the series where they should have experimented and Madden should have been where they polish features.

I'm really hoping that T2 gets the FIFA license and just goes to town on EA who as of now really is only defacto leader in things because of their market realities or exclusivity agreements

NBA 2K killed off NBA Live
MLB The Show killed off Triple Play Baseball/MVP Baseball

Take2 already has the Tiger Woods license now

Maybe one day we'll see another hockey game on the market
The Show is my favorite sports game I get it every single year and play nearly all year long. But you’re wrong, it didn’t kill MVP baseball. MVP 05 is still on e of the east baseball games of all time. The Show, up until last year was exclusive. If MVP kept going and made even more advancements it would have done really well specifically through the Xbox 360/Xbox one era’s, as T2’s 2k baseball series was HORRIFIC. MVP died because EA is greedy and since they pay for the MLB/MLBPA license if the game isn’t selling 30M copies every year, well that’s when suits get involved. Sadly.

As far as you NBA and the Show comments though, when is the last time you have visited and serious sports gamers forums (operation sports is one)? On the MBA 2k and The Show forums all those people do is complain too. Every year. Meanwhile both those games are solid titles consistently. You can never make everyone happy.

Madden 23 is playing a really solid game of football. Literally everything is improved. Defense overall, coverages, pass rush, the new lead passing mechanic takes a bit to get used to but very helpful, the way the players interact, they way they feel under user control, all of it is vastly improved. To each their own.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

The gameplay is a small noticeable improvement, but the modes are just horribly executed, especially franchise. This game is still lacking features from NFL games 15-20 yrs ago.

They finally fixed that garbage tackle system to allow for more agency (and less scripted outcomes), but today it’s still less physics-based than even “Backbreakers”.
2K4/2K5 still rival these games sadly.

But like 2K, it’s the only licensed game for the sport (no other option), so neither EA, nor the fans will ever give a shit until that changes.
I hear the same thing about franchise mode in all sports titles. You do realize that since these consoles have been connected to the internet all these companies know exactly what modes are played or not played, as well as a very analytic breakdown of just about everything even what features are used etc. franchise modes are bad because not enough people play sports games alone vs the cpu. I’m sorry, those people are in the minority so companies especially on yearly releases games where dev time is precious, focus on what the masses want.

Samrf89

A bit over the top hyperbolic commentary dog. Madden 23 on ps5 S/X is looking and playing great. Finally feels like the engine/game has caught up to the speed of the newer consoles. Also, some real nice features such as the new lead passing mechanic to try and throw the ball away from defenders. The pass rush with a standard 4 man rush is much improved and very welcome. So far, it’s playing a solid game of football.

People always hate on Madden and generally anything EA related. I’ve been playing Madden since it’s inception so I don’t really care about metacritic scores. Bunch of angry crybaby EA and Madden haters to begin with.
lol that's not a new feature. this game is basically a roster update from last year.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Don't mind me, I just found a way to entertain myself by comparing the reviews that are the complete opposite of one another, I can't tell why I find it entertaining, but it works.
oH2lsmD.png
One intresting thing about metacritic reviews is that people tend to only review games they really hate or really like...

CfhB9xl.jpg

One has literally only reviewed madden...

The other...

MM2xcyW.jpg

Well he's a hater but at least consistant for a few years...

Not saying its a definite paid review but...

Deanington

Haven’t played a Madden game for many a year (probably since early PS4 days) so I picked up Madden 23 on PS5 pretty cheap on Friday. Got it for the fact it had Madden on the cover and wanted to eventually buy a Madden for next gen.

Surprisingly I really enjoy it! Presentation is great. Game controls fine. Looks awesome and as far as I can tell, plus a pretty damn decent game of NFL. Not too sure what people are complaining about but seeing as though it’s my 1st Madden for a while, I’m enjoying what I’m playing.

This is what I figured. I havent played a Madden/football game in over 10 years. I was actually getting the itch to play one and assumed it was probably fine. Its the hardcore that play every new/other game that complain the most.

People saying The Show killed MVP Baseball… maybe I’m mistaken, but didn’t 2k sign a deal for exclusive third party MLB games? Pretty sure that’s why EA stopped making MLB games. They released a couple of college baseball games after that 2k deal.

I watched about fifteen minutes of a simulated game of M23 yesterday. It’s sad that we are almost twenty years removed from NFL2k5 and it still animates and moves so much more naturally and realistically than Madden.

I play Madden for the franchise mode, I avoid almost all actual gameplay, and EA can’t even get franchise right. And now they make you pay $100 for a version of the game that works on Series X and Xbox One 😆😆😆

The Show is my favorite sports game I get it every single year and play nearly all year long. But you’re wrong, it didn’t kill MVP baseball. MVP 05 is still on e of the east baseball games of all time. The Show, up until last year was exclusive. If MVP kept going and made even more advancements it would have done really well specifically through the Xbox 360/Xbox one era’s, as T2’s 2k baseball series was HORRIFIC. MVP died because EA is greedy and since they pay for the MLB/MLBPA license if the game isn’t selling 30M copies every year, well that’s when suits get involved. Sadly.

As far as you NBA and the Show comments though, when is the last time you have visited and serious sports gamers forums (operation sports is one)? On the MBA 2k and The Show forums all those people do is complain too. Every year. Meanwhile both those games are solid titles consistently. You can never make everyone happy.

Madden 23 is playing a really solid game of football. Literally everything is improved. Defense overall, coverages, pass rush, the new lead passing mechanic takes a bit to get used to but very helpful, the way the players interact, they way they feel under user control, all of it is vastly improved. To each their own.
The Show proved the market is there. One of the best-selling games of the year so far despite baseballs dwindling appeal.

Yeah, not saying these current games are great either, my point is that any franchise can get displaced especially the extremely generic ones.

Lupin25

I hear the same thing about franchise mode in all sports titles. You do realize that since these consoles have been connected to the internet all these companies know exactly what modes are played or not played, as well as a very analytic breakdown of just about everything even what features are used etc. franchise modes are bad because not enough people play sports games alone vs the cpu. I’m sorry, those people are in the minority so companies especially on yearly releases games where dev time is precious, focus on what the masses want.

The point for me is, why include modes you won’t pay attention to? It’s a waste of manpower and resources.

Either redesign the modes or risk losing customers/players altogether?

That’s not what any dev wants they want the game improved as much as possible in the window given. It’s not that big, on an annual basis, but lots of these modes haven’t made many changes for years.

The problem is:

EA doesn’t know how.

…But it is what it is lol.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

The point for me is, why include modes you won’t pay attention to? It’s a waste of manpower and resources.

Either redesign the modes or risk losing customers/players altogether?

That’s not what any dev wants they want the game improved as much as possible in the window given. It’s not that big, on an annual basis, but lots of these modes haven’t made many changes for years.

The problem is:

EA doesn’t know how.

…But it is what it is lol.
Well, I understand you you completely. But to be fair they actually hired a guy off the OS forums who would break down in detail GREAT ideas about franchise mode, and what to add/fix. Since last year was the really first time I heard franchise mode actually being looked into (plus the hire of the OS forum member, who, obviously got the attention at by someone at EA).

I myself don’t play franchise mode, but from what I understand from friends that do that made tangible improvements and additions. And since the OS guy only started last year I’m sure more is to come, this year even as last year they kept adding/fixing via software updates.

REDRZA MWS

The Show proved the market is there. One of the best-selling games of the year so far despite baseballs dwindling appeal.

Yeah, not saying these current games are great either, my point is that any franchise can get displaced especially the extremely generic ones.
I agree with that. And I do believe you were right in the case of NBA 2k bs NBA Live. Live was my favorite hoops series growing up years ago, it’s a shame.

I just think in the case of baseball, it’s much, much more of an American thing. There’s no doubt So y destroyed /k Baseball, I mean you want to talk about pure trash in every aspect, the game wasn’t worth the disc it was printed on. MVP however was a GREAT game of baseball, by all standards including critics. Don’t quote me but there may have been other issues at hand suck as T2 buying the exclusive 3rd party MLB license (to try and get back for EA with the NFL). It’s just 2K was terrible. There were a lot of things about MVP 05 that’s are STILL better than the Show.

Point is it’s not always “they stopped making NHL (2k) or NBA LIVE , or MVP because they couldn’t compete. Mostly is a revenue thing no matter the quality of the game and the ROI just isn’t there.

led4lyfe

Which is not a new feature? Do you own or have you even played the game? Madden 23 that is, on a PS5/SX?
You’ve been able to lead WRs on qb throws for a while. The whole new throwing mechanic is just a repackaged product of something you’ve always been able to do. The gauge is new though.

Did they ditch The Yard in Madden 23? I didn’t see it. Also MUT has been extremely buggy and sluggish for me

I like how Madden 23 includes new features and innovation, despite the low review scores.

Like high-speed horizontal rotation of the ball.

High-variety plays to choose from.

Able to circumvent special teams to score a two point conversion.

Trigger feedback to run.

Jump button to catch the ball or to make a potential interception.

These features have never been seen in a football game before. So while these scores are low, EA continues to innovate in news ways that we've never seen in a sports game before. With such a large list of changes to the game that have never been in another Madden in history, you can't in good faith call EA lazy or that their games are "rushed" when they add such extravegant attention to detail.

OP I think you should make a post apologizing to EA right now.

Grechy34

Sports games are in a terrible state and it’s so sad. Every game is marred by AI that plays catch up in which there is nothing you can do to stop it. It’s so ridiculously shit and every year I think it might change it doesn’t. EA is single handedly the worst company who has a monopoly on Madden and FIFA and for years it’s been complete trash. NBA 2K is better but even that series has it’s fair share of problems.

Here’s hoping that some day the madness will end and sports games will enter another golden era.

StormCell

I like how Madden 23 includes new features and innovation, despite the low review scores.

Like high-speed horizontal rotation of the ball.

High-variety plays to choose from.

Able to circumvent special teams to score a two point conversion.

Trigger feedback to run.

Jump button to catch the ball or to make a potential interception.

These features have never been seen in a football game before. So while these scores are low, EA continues to innovate in news ways that we've never seen in a sports game before. With such a large list of changes to the game that have never been in another Madden in history, you can't in good faith call EA lazy or that their games are "rushed" when they add such extravegant attention to detail.

OP I think you should make a post apologizing to EA right now.
Took me a short moment to realize this is pure satire.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, so realistic lol

Never said it was realistic. I know the general audience have the critical thinking ability of infants and will gladly take shit covered pizza if it was the only pizza in town. Same mental retardation as a console warrior and defending anti-consumer practices (GAAS, Pay to Win, Always Online, etc). I know full well that I will never see a quality NFL game in my life time because people like that exist and will continue to exist.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
A bit over the top hyperbolic commentary dog. Madden 23 on ps5 S/X is looking and playing great. Finally feels like the engine/game has caught up to the speed of the newer consoles. Also, some real nice features such as the new lead passing mechanic to try and throw the ball away from defenders. The pass rush with a standard 4 man rush is much improved and very welcome. So far, it’s playing a solid game of football.

People always hate on Madden and generally anything EA related. I’ve been playing Madden since it’s inception so I don’t really care about metacritic scores. Bunch of angry crybaby EA and Madden haters to begin with.

Wait, do you mean Madden added leading passes this year? As in “Maximum Passing” from NFL 2K on Sega Dreamcast? From 1999?

Hah. That’s wild.

Top Bottom