• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden NFL 24 is Reportedly 'Make or Break' for EA

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Break! Break! Break! Break! Break! Break! Break! Break! Break! Break!
Dance GIF

Xander3116

I tried the trail, this game is still terrible, gameplay wise it honestly feels the same, they said that run blocking would be better, it feels the same to me, Franchise mode is the same with a few new things (option years for rookies, 2 extra trade slots) the menu's in general look bland and for Ultimate team which i don't really care about feel very sluggish while navigating and just looks bland visually, I'm actually surprised it feels like the game is getting worse each year, but at least they put the refs on the field!

mckmas8808

Banned
I have EA Access for having Gamepass and I tried to download the 10 hour early access on PC and it never got out of preparing the download. I read others were having the same issue so not a good first look at the new Madden.

Geez man....

American Eggball isn't big in Europe, but I would like to see it on Plus. We occasionally got Football, one time PES, more recent Fifa, and several times NBA2K. Would be time for some NFL, or NHL, the latter probably welcome in more countries than American Football.

Just for promotion purposes EA should have given Madden for Europe and Fifa for USA every other year, shortly before a new one gets released.

AngelMuffin

Yeah that was actually one of the reasons why the NFL pulled their license. I believe the story was that the NFL felt that 2K was devaluing the league by offering a cheaper game.
The price drop was entirety centered around getting the game into the hands of gamers to showcase their game and break the stranglehold of Madden. It definitely worked me and zi decided to make the switch because I thought the 2K effort was superior. I don’t believe keeping the game at $20 was ever the long term plan. Just a one time deal to get it out there.

anthraticus

Banned
The trailer was meh....is quite funny how this franchise keep being behind once again compared to NBA, the show etc.

Remember those days when actually Madden was a powerhouse, it will never reached the heights of Madden05.

Honestly i fell bad that people like Ian cummings or josh looman left ... The franchise is a mess
To be fair, the NBA and baseball do kinda blow also and have been stagnating (and regressing when it comes to the b-ball) Just quite not to the level of dogshit that Madden has become. But yea, 05 was the high point for Madden.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Isn't this the game they are introducing NFT's into?

If it's make or break i'm surprised they are willing to do such a ridiculous thing

The price drop was entirety centered around getting the game into the hands of gamers to showcase their game and break the stranglehold of Madden. It definitely worked me and zi decided to make the switch because I thought the 2K effort was superior. I don’t believe keeping the game at $20 was ever the long term plan. Just a one time deal to get it out there.
I bought both games every year up to 2k5 and madden 05. I thought something was going to be wrong with 2k5 because it was only $19.99 but I was fking blown away. Kept expecting a gotcha...but nope, I remember saying to myself, if this one is so good, I can't wait to see what NFL 2k6 will be like...almost 20 years later I'm still waiting. I haven't bought madden since Brett Favre was on the cover, I think that was Madden 09

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
it's the same trash every year. I honestly dont know why the NFL puts up with it. The bag can't be that big, and other sports have seen the wisdom in opening up. It's not even a good, or accurate, representation of the sport, something you'd think the NFL would care about.

If EA released Madden 25 but it's secretly Madden 2005 runnning in an emulator with a roster update, it would get 11/10s and be heralded as the greatest leap forward in the history of the franchise. That's how bad it has gotten.

Last edited:
What? I thought the Madden audience would buy an empty case because it says "Madden" on it.

They really feel like they have to put EFFORT in? It's Madden lol.

TexMex

ah yes doing so well they need to let you play it for free

a good, deep, accurate football sim would do far better, no matter what "records" EA is pretending they are breaking

They’re not pretending. Sales figures are sales figures, and plenty of games offer trials. Even those that are well received. You ask why the NFL puts up with it, and the answer is because the game sells millions and millions of units, every year. This isn’t hard.

I’d agree that Madden existing costs us having a great NFL game. I don’t think Madden is good either. I’d love to have 2K back. But we had 2K for years, and it was a superior game every time, and Madden still outsold it. But the NFL doesn’t care if it’s good, they care if it sells. And it does, end of story.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
They’re not pretending. Sales figures are sales figures, and plenty of games offer trials. Even those that are well received. You ask why the NFL puts up with it, and the answer is because the game sells millions and millions of units, every year. This isn’t hard.

I’d agree that Madden existing costs us having a great NFL game. I don’t think Madden is good either. I’d love to have 2K back. But we had 2K for years, and it was a superior game every time, and Madden still outsold it. But the NFL doesn’t care if it’s good, they care if it sells. And it does, end of story.
Madden sales are really not that good, and the game is basically irrelevant outside of a few weeks between release and start of football season. I know this might sound crazy to the young people, but NFL games used to be legitimately huge and console-defining, on Genesis, PSX, Dreamcast, PS2, etc. I am pretty sure Madden sold better in the PS2/PS3 era, even though the game industry and the NFL are way more popular than they used to be. They try to do cringe marketing campaigns around the player ratings but nobody cares anymore because the game is trash. That article you linked doesn't give any sales figures, sounds like EA is juicing it with bullshit like every other company does.

If the NFL doesn't care if it is good, then they are making a mistake, and it's a big one, considering they are so conscious of their brand in literally everything else. "Protect the shield" is a mantra yet they have this pile of shit representing them annually. It's a huge mistake.

Last edited:

TexMex

Madden sales are really not that good, and the game is basically irrelevant outside of a few weeks between release and start of football season. I know this might sound crazy to the young people, but NFL games used to be legitimately huge and console-defining, on Genesis, PSX, Dreamcast, PS2, etc. I am pretty sure Madden sold better in the PS2/PS3 era, even though the game industry and the NFL are way more popular than they used to be. They try to do cringe marketing campaigns around the player ratings but nobody cares anymore because the game is trash. That article you linked doesn't give any sales figures, sounds like EA is juicing it with bullshit like every other company does.

If the NFL doesn't care if it is good, then they are making a mistake, and it's a big one, considering they are so conscious of their brand in literally everything else. "Protect the shield" is a mantra yet they have this pile of shit representing them annually. It's a huge mistake.

I’m 40 years old and have played in every generation you’re talking about. Madden sales really are that good. It was the third best selling game period last year. The only games that sold better were Call of Duty and Elden Ring, I’m not sure what insane standard you are holding it to. Madden sells millions annually, and saying it used to sell even more before doesn’t mean anything at all. There’s a variety of factors here, chief among them being a significantly more crowded marketplace. There wasn’t a hot new game dropping every 5 minutes competing for consumers’ money. There was actual competition for Madden (thankfully) which created this bit of excitement about which game would be on top between Madden, 2K/ESPN, NFL Gameday, etc. They are also off setting some of this with micro transactions which didn’t exist in the eras you’re talking about. In terms of pure revenue, they’re sitting very pretty.

You clearly don’t like madden and that’s fine. I agree with you. But it is a chart topper, every year, and this year is no different. It prints money for both EA and the NFL. That is why they don’t care. This is the worlds simplest economics lesson. When it stops selling a shit load of copies, we will probably see some competition re-enter the marketplace, but not before.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member

Seeing what NBA 2k turned in to, I don't even know how great of an alternative it would be.

theclaw135

Banned

To paraphrase a favorite movie quote "the customer is always right - always". It may sound like apologism but the things these kinds of games get bashed for, are what people buying them want. Evergreen titles like Madden are laser focused at a particular mass audience.

TexMex

Seeing what NBA 2k turned in to, I don't even know how great of an alternative it would be.

Yeah that’s honestly a fair point. We aren’t going to get the NFL2K1 experience we’re looking for in 2023 at all. We think we want it but the reality of the situation if it were to ever materialize may be even more depressing.

simpatico

Gold Member
Yeah that’s honestly a fair point. We aren’t going to get the NFL2K1 experience we’re looking for in 2023 at all. We think we want it but the reality of the situation if it were to ever materialize may be even more depressing.
Madden 06 was the peak for me. They were just starting to pull ahead of 2K. Then the 360 gen was the start of the end.

theclaw135

Banned

It does beg the question, just what is the group complaining asking for anyway?

I admit I don't understand how you would, on a mechanical level, simulate NFL football much more realistically than Madden.

Lupin25

Still garbage.

CPU AI cornerbacks still attempting to catch interceptions behind receivers, and of course, tons of glitches.

Take-Two is just licking their chops, ppl still play NFL 2K5 to this day.

Just give the licence to them at this point.

simpatico

Gold Member
It does beg the question, just what is the group complaining asking for anyway?

I admit I don't understand how you would, on a mechanical level, simulate NFL football much more realistically than Madden.
We still don't have the feature set we did in Madden 06. They've also royally messed up the animations, making them much longer for flash, resulting in less control ability. Basically look at Madden 06, update the graphics and rosters, and I'm there day 1 happily. For NFL games, the start of PS360 gen was a massive regression that we STILL have not recovered from. Tiburon use to be such a competent developer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom