• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 4 Allegedly Set In 1890s-1920s Sicily

thatJohann

FC562500-8188-4-AC7-845-C-27451-AC97-FEB.png

nani17

are in a big trouble
Sounds interesting im assuming a portion of the game is Sicily and you'll move to America to rebuild the family

Certinty

Weird time period to say the least.

But Mafia III was amazing besides the awful mission structure, if they can keep the driving model, gunplay, story and characters as good as that and fix up on where the game sucked, this could be amazing.

Larxia

Good.

Mafia 3 was a mistake.
I think mafia 3 had a great story, gameplay, characters and atmosphere, on these specific elements it was a really great game.

Sadly it's ruined by all the ubisoft repetitive filler missions... It's a mediocre 30 hours game that could be an amazing 10-15 hours game. Not everything deserve to be thrown away in this game, there are parts that make it really worth it, but... it's quite difficult to play because of the bad parts, complicated game.
I think it's a game that deserves the opposite of a complete / expanded edition, it needs something like an "essential cut" that only keep the good stuff and remove the awful filler.

Last edited:

shubik

I think mafia 3 had a great story, gameplay, characters and atmosphere, on these specific elements it was a really great game.

Sadly it's ruined by all the ubisoft repetitive filler missions... It's a mediocre 30 hours game that could be an amazing 10-15 hours game. Not everything deserve to be thrown away in this game, there are parts that make it really worth it, but... it's quite difficult to play because of the bad parts, complicated game. I think it's a game that deserves the opposite of a complete / expanded edition, it needs something like an "essential cut" that only keep the good stuff and remove the awful filler.

the mission design was attrocious. You did the same thing over and over again. Sometimes even in the same areas. It had a lot of potential but the final product was just bad from a gameplay perspective

Mattyp

Gold Member
Cool if true, Sicily is a beautiful part of Italy. All the southern tip is more so then the heavily tourist areas further north.

Never did Mafia 3, down for this but.

Larxia

the mission design was attrocious. You did the same thing over and over again. Sometimes even in the same areas. It had a lot of potential but the final product was just bad from a gameplay perspective
I mean I agree, it was awful when you had to clean up a warehouse to fill up the money gauge to unlock the next main mission, only to see that the next main mission is cleaning the same warehouse again, but this time with the boss being there, it's terrible, that's why I think it could be better if they removed the parts where you need to do all these little side missions to unlock money, and just keep the main ones, it would be less repetitive.

I do think however that the gameplay itself (the character controls) was really good, I really liked the feeling, and it also had an actually pretty good ennemy AI, I was very surprised by this. For example if you were in a gun fight and hide behind something, and then move somewhere else while still hiding, the ennemies will keep shooting at your last visible location for a little while, and would then come check the area. This was a lot more immersive than games where ennemies are constantly aware of your position as soon as the alert is on.
I hate it in games when if an ennemy sees you, the whole map immediatly know where you are and will never lose you. I had a lot of situations that were very believable and immersive thanks to how Mafia 3 works.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Mafia 3 was decent fun; add more actual management though to the formula. Just lean all the way in with a good action layer and a good simulation one.

Not to sound racist but I guess it will come with a black gay protagonist to fit with the chronology and setting right?

. . . when the culture war is the only thing you know.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Weird time period to say the least.
It is one of the best periods to set it in, the other would be between 1970’s and the late 1990’s (70’s riots, Falcone and Borsellino murders, Mafia and State relations during the Andreotti government, etc…).
In the 1890’s - 1920’s… well, you had perhaps the birth of the modern Mafia, Italy was formally unified less than 30 years before the game is supposed to take place. The ex southern states did not take it lightly when they were liberated from one ruler and absorbed into another distant centralised government intent on creating a new country and new culture… then in the 1920’s you had the rise of fascism and the adversarial relation between the two factions so to speak. Tons of historical context.

Last edited:
Mafia 3 was decent fun; add more actual management though to the formula. Just lean all the way in with a good action layer and a good simulation one.

. . . when the culture war is the only thing you know.
With this post you proved you are the stupid one, because I havent posted anything about this kind of topics but you assume that I am in some kind culture war. But I will give you my point of view. For me black people are not more than me but equal to me, black people they are not some token that need you or anyone to protect them. I have two black colleagues but for us it's Emanuel and Sandor not anything else, if we talk about them we use their name like we use for our white colleagues, no difference. But my statement about inserting black people in every Media just for the sake of it, it's not something new or false. Go away with your culture war and find someone else stupid as you to make argument.

Damn that didn't work out for you.
It sounds racist (and I know what racism is, I didn't read about it in a book but I have experienced it first hand) but that is the reality now, I want to play a historical event that can be somewhat accurate. If the protagonist is black I want it to be not shoehorned I want it to fit the narrative. I loved playing as CJ in GTA. I loved Blade not because he is black or white or blue but because the actor was acting good and the circumstances was fitting. But this now derailing the thread.

Sentenza

, fucking fite me va fangool!
Reading italian "curse words" in their "americanized" version is always the fucking weirdest thing out there.

"Vaffanculo" is a contraction of "Vai a fare in culo" which means more or less "go fuck [yourself or someone else] in the ass".
That thing, on the other hand... What the hell is that even supposed to mean?

Last edited:
Ok thats enough or both of you will get kicekd out of the tread. Either post about the game in a mature way or just exit the thread.
Yes, I think we both got overboard.... anyway I dont know the person personally to feel offended and maybe I was also wrong. And hopefully the game will be awesome and we can both enjoy it even though we have different ideologies.

DaGwaphics

Interesting. I could appreciate the return to a more linear format. Like other posters have said, the repetitive nature of the tasks in each district did get old after a while in 3. Still enjoyed the game though.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Reading italian "curse words" in their "americanized" version is always the fucking weirdest thing out there.

"Vaffanculo" is a contraction of "Vai a fare in culo" which means more or less "go fuck [yourself or someone else] in the ass".
That thing, on the other hand... What the hell is that even supposed to mean?
Ah fuggedaboudit

ParaSeoul

1890s America and the early days of the Mafia there would be better,if only because I wish RDR 2 did more with the mafia

Last edited:
Top Bottom