• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAGfest takes the piss out of Kotaku, gets bullied into apologizing by danger hair journos for "gamergate dogwhistling" and "making them feel unsafe"

Needlecrash

AtYwAP8.jpg

White privilege at the fgc tournaments and the kof bodega.
Man......the stories I've heard over the years. From the OGs, fights, rivalries, man...

I remember Golden Boy Neo getting his $8000 stolen from Evo in 2015. Crazy shit man.

Hellmaker

qAFxIt5I_400x400.jpg

Look at this little bitch. Scared of a poster. "But words hurt, mom!", he cried into the phone with his tiresome mother while hiding in the genderneutral toilet.

[How's that for dogwhistling, you cretin. Deliberately stirring up controversy for clout, fuck off with that shit]
Groomer...

anothertech

Mammoth levels of projection fuckery. Can't get any more narcissistic than taking every fucking joke as an assault on your woke ideals.

Shame on the organizers for giving into these twitter fucktards.

From what i can understand it's something that went a bit like this:

- Some whatsherface chick was using sex to take advantage of a bunch of cucks who work in the game industry, including kotaku, so she can elevate herself in said industry or something.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

It started before that, with Zoe Quinn iirc. Something about her giving sexual favours for good publicity or review scores or something. People made a big stink about it and 'ethics in game journalism' and all that...

Oh God, I can't believe I'm doing this (and I can't believe we're relitigating gamergate in 2023) but you're both wrong. I... I really cannot believe I'm doing this but I'm actually going to defend Kotaku for a moment. Wait! Don't leave! Just hear me out... I'm going to try to prove that the whole 'ethics in game journalism' thing was kinda bullshit from the beginning. Just... bear with me for a bit.

Gamergate started when it was revealed that a game journalist (Nathan Grayson) who was working for Kotaku at the time had slept with an indie game developer (Zoe Quinn) who had previously written about. This then lead to a lot of accusations being thrown about that there had either been 'sex for a good review' or 'sex for coverage.' As far as 'sex for a good review' goes, there is no review. Grayson never wrote a review of Depression Quest in any publication anywhere. However as far as 'sex for coverage' goes he had written about her, multiple times. The problem is that if you actually lay out all the evidence properly and in chronological order it's a lot less damning than it might appear. As far as coverage of her game went he had written it in passing, giving only giving it a few sentences, in one or two articles (one of which is here if you want to check it for yourself,) which had been written before he have 100% proof that the two of them boned (we have an official statement from Kotaku's Editor-in-Chief, Stephen Totilo himself, confirming that the "romantic relationship" began in "early April" and all articles about Quinn and her game were written before then,) all of which had been published on Rock Paper Shotgun, Grayson's previous employer, not Kotaku the site everyone was mad at. And that's not even mentioning that the game in question is a no-budget text adventure and is available for free.

Now, I'm well aware that I'm completely avoiding discussion of all the 4chan/Zoe Quinn/harassment/doxing stuff. That was happening, and began, at the same time as all of this and is... it's own can of worms. What I'm saying is that as far as the specific original allegations that began gamergate went (not any of the other allegations that were made later) Kotaku were actually innocent. And while it is still a pretty bad look for Grayson, it's not quite a fireable or even boycott-worthy offence. I mean he did seemingly stop writing about Quinn or her game after he slept with her. It's still incredibly embarrassing, makes him look really sleazy and hurts his own credibility as a journalist. But it's really not something worth setting the entire internet on fire over.

So, as far as the original scandal went, Kotaku were innocent. Unfortunately Kotaku is staffed, written for and run by a gaggle of inept muppets who wouldn't be able to find their way out of a paper bag with a map and as a result they somehow managed to implicate themselves in the scandal anyway despite being innocent. All of their PR came off very 'Kotaku has investigated Kotaku and found Kotaku dindu nothing wrong... and you're all sexist for even thinking that,' which is just so Kotaku. As a result almost all average, ordinary onlookers came to the conclusion that Kotaku had to be guilty of... something... anything.

Which nicely leads into the other obvious issue with gamergate, other than the Zoe Quinn/harassment mess. In order to think Kotaku had lost its credibility you had to think that Kotaku had any credibility in the first place. Like, was no one else actually reading Kotaku at the time? Does no one else remember the time their future Editor-in-Chief, Stephen Totilo, played the original Doom for the first time, got lost in E1M1 and had to find a map on the internet (clearly not realizing that Doom has an in-game map) before getting killed by the first few enemies in E1M2 and then declaring that he has now played and gets Doom. Yes, that happened and it's even worse when you read the full thing. And that was from 2010, 4 whole years before the gamergate nonsense. Kotaku have been a joke for a long-ass time.

And that's just debunking the first sentence that both of you wrote.

SaintALia

Oh God, I can't believe I'm doing this (and I can't believe we're relitigating gamergate in 2023) but you're both wrong. I... I really cannot believe I'm doing this but I'm actually going to defend Kotaku for a moment. Wait! Don't leave! Just hear me out... I'm going to try to prove that the whole 'ethics in game journalism' thing was kinda bullshit from the beginning. Just... bear with me for a bit.

Gamergate started when it was revealed that a game journalist (Nathan Grayson) who was working for Kotaku at the time had slept with an indie game developer (Zoe Quinn) who had previously written about. This then lead to a lot of accusations being thrown about that there had either been 'sex for a good review' or 'sex for coverage.' As far as 'sex for a good review' goes, there is no review. Grayson never wrote a review of Depression Quest in any publication anywhere. However as far as 'sex for coverage' goes he had written about her, multiple times. The problem is that if you actually lay out all the evidence properly and in chronological order it's a lot less damning than it might appear. As far as coverage of her game went he had written it in passing, giving only giving it a few sentences, in one or two articles (one of which is here if you want to check it for yourself,) which had been written before he have 100% proof that the two of them boned (we have an official statement from Kotaku's Editor-in-Chief, Stephen Totilo himself, confirming that the "romantic relationship" began in "early April" and all articles about Quinn and her game were written before then,) all of which had been published on Rock Paper Shotgun, Grayson's previous employer, not Kotaku the site everyone was mad at. And that's not even mentioning that the game in question is a no-budget text adventure and is available for free.

Now, I'm well aware that I'm completely avoiding discussion of all the 4chan/Zoe Quinn/harassment/doxing stuff. That was happening, and began, at the same time as all of this and is... it's own can of worms. What I'm saying is that as far as the specific original allegations that began gamergate went (not any of the other allegations that were made later) Kotaku were actually innocent. And while it is still a pretty bad look for Grayson, it's not quite a fireable or even boycott-worthy offence. I mean he did seemingly stop writing about Quinn or her game after he slept with her. It's still incredibly embarrassing, makes him look really sleazy and hurts his own credibility as a journalist. But it's really not something worth setting the entire internet on fire over.

So, as far as the original scandal went, Kotaku were innocent. Unfortunately Kotaku is staffed, written for and run by a gaggle of inept muppets who wouldn't be able to find their way out of a paper bag with a map and as a result they somehow managed to implicate themselves in the scandal anyway despite being innocent. All of their PR came off very 'Kotaku has investigated Kotaku and found Kotaku dindu nothing wrong... and you're all sexist for even thinking that,' which is just so Kotaku. As a result almost all average, ordinary onlookers came to the conclusion that Kotaku had to be guilty of... something... anything.

Which nicely leads into the other obvious issue with gamergate, other than the Zoe Quinn/harassment mess. In order to think Kotaku had lost its credibility you had to think that Kotaku had any credibility in the first place. Like, was no one else actually reading Kotaku at the time? Does no one else remember the time their future Editor-in-Chief, Stephen Totilo, played the original Doom for the first time, got lost in E1M1 and had to find a map on the internet (clearly not realizing that Doom has an in-game map) before getting killed by the first few enemies in E1M2 and then declaring that he has now played and gets Doom. Yes, that happened and it's even worse when you read the full thing. And that was from 2010, 4 whole years before the gamergate nonsense. Kotaku have been a joke for a long-ass time.

Wait, what exactly was I wrong about? I never specifically stated that it began off a love affair, that was just the idea that kicked things off and led to the debate about 'ethics in game journalism'.

I remember following the debate for a while until I realised the misogyny and gate keeping that was happening and simply stopped bothering to. At some point the whole deal with 'ethics' became moot when the waters were so muddied and the harassment grew so much.

And yeah, I had an account on Kotaku for years(2012/2013 I think, but maybe before, it's been a while). But I stopped posting when they changed how people posted comments. Someone made an extension for Chrome that used the old way, but at that point I was using Opera or Maxthon or some other browser and couldn't be bothered. And yeah, I do remember when Kotaku played themselves multiple times, but I still contend they were a decent site back in the day-well, I had fun reading and posting on it anyway.

Not sure what else about my post would be left to 'debunk', but okay.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Nah, Strange had a perfect explanation of it a few years back: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/game...-other-about-it.1460965/page-5#post-253184020

Wait, what exactly was I wrong about? I never specifically stated that it began off a love affair, that was just the idea that kicked things off and led to the debate about 'ethics in game journalism'.

Not sure what else about my post would be left to 'debunk', but okay.

Yeah 'debunk' might've been a really poor choice of words. Honestly I was more responding to the other guy since he literally said, 'someone correct me if I'm wrong.' It was literally just that both of you started off by saying a variation of 'the whole thing started off with sex for favors,' which is arguably wrong. I wasn't really disagreeing with anything else you were saying. I was more trying to say that I had to write that much just to address the first sentence or two you both wrote and I ain't doing the same for the rest of either of your posts because gamergate is a stupid clusterfuck and I cannot be bothered anymore. That's really all I was saying

Jesus titty-fucking Christ. Look I'm not going to address every fucking point there because I really can't be bothered anymore but:
  1. Strange Headache said he's not a gamergater at the start and then he wrote a 2,550 word essay on why gamergate were actually in the right. I call bullshit.
  2. It's honestly not the worst pro-gamergate write-up I've ever read. Really, it's far more factual and well-articulated than the strawman-misogynist-boogeyman that it tends to be characterized as. However I've heard/read every single one of those points before, articulated in almost the exact same way. Those aren't Strange's own thoughts, it's the pro-gamergate version of history. And look, it's more accurate in a lot of places than the anti-gg version of history but it's still fundamentally flawed and doesn't actually address what the thing actually was
  3. I wasn't writing the usual spergy, long-ass defense/admonishment of gamergate. What I wrote was about a single very, very specific detail of the original scandal that I would argue both sides got completely wrong and still do to this day. Strange... doesn't even mention the actual, original scandal anywhere in his post probably because...
  4. Strange clearly wasn't actually there when it all started. He keeps on ranting about how Anita Sarkeesian lit the flame when the gamergate thing actually exploded around Zoe Quinn. Zoe and Anita are two very different people and people were angry about both of them for very different reasons. Strange has no idea what he's talking about. That's one of the biggest problems with gg in my view, once it exploded tons of people - who weren't actually around during the initial scandal - ended up conflating and confusing Anita, Zoe and even Brianna Wu with each other, which caused the whole thing to become an even bigger hypocritical mess than it already was.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah 'debunk' might've been a really poor choice of words. Honestly I was more responding to the other guy since he literally said, 'someone correct me if I'm wrong.' It was literally just that both of you started off by saying a variation of 'the whole thing started off with sex for favors,' which is arguably wrong. I wasn't really disagreeing with anything else you were saying. I was more trying to say that I had to write that much just to address the first sentence or two you both wrote and I ain't doing the same for the rest of either of your posts because gamergate is a stupid clusterfuck and I cannot be bothered anymore. That's really all I was saying

Jesus titty-fucking Christ. Look I'm not going to address every fucking point there because I really can't be bothered anymore but:
  1. Strange Headache said he's not a gamergater at the start and then he wrote a 2,550 word essay on why gamergate were actually in the right. I call bullshit.
  2. It's honestly not the worst pro-gamergate write-up I've ever read. Really, it's far more factual and well-articulated than the strawman-misogynist-boogeyman that it tends to be characterized as. However I've heard/read every single one of those points before, articulated in almost the exact same way. Those aren't Strange's own thoughts, it's the pro-gamergate version of history. And look, it's more accurate in a lot of places than the anti-gg version of history but it's still fundamentally flawed and doesn't actually address what the thing actually was
  3. I wasn't writing the usual spergy, long-ass defense/admonishment of gamergate. What I wrote was about a single very, very specific detail of the original scandal that I would argue both sides got completely wrong and still do to this day. Strange... doesn't even mention the actual, original scandal anywhere in his post probably because...
  4. Strange clearly wasn't actually there when it all started. He keeps on ranting about how Anita Sarkeesian lit the flame when the gamergate thing actually exploded around Zoe Quinn. Zoe and Anita are two very different people and people were angry about both of them for very different reasons. Strange has no idea what he's talking about. That's one of the biggest problems with gg in my view, once it exploded tons of people - who weren't actually around during the initial scandal - ended up conflating and confusing Anita, Zoe and even Brianna Wu with each other, which caused the whole thing to become an even bigger hypocritical mess than it already was.

Lady doth protest too much. It is clear you are the one with the bias and history here, mate. Which is why I would sooner trust an outside third party who did research into this. Not someone with a clear bone to pick.

Lady doth protest too much. It is clear you are the one with the bias and history here, mate. Which is why I would sooner trust an outside third party who did research into this. Not someone with a clear bone to pick.

No. That's wrong. He isn't an outside third party. Every single one of his points could be found on KotakuInAction or other such places circa 2016-2017-ish. All of his points are the pro-gamergate line. He's not unbiased. And by the way, I already said the gamergate version of history is in a lot of places more accurate than the anti-gg version. The point I was making wasn't a pro or anti-gamergate point. It's... close to an actual third party point. It's that the pro-gamergate people will tell you that the whole thing started because of 'sex for coverage' (and I've already outlined why, if you lay out all the evidence, that probably isn't true) while the anti-gamergate people will tell you that's ridiculous and then go as far as saying there wasn't 'sex for coverage,' the sex didn't even happen (and I've already posted a link to Kotaku themselves saying the sex happened).

My actual argument ain't pro or anti gamergate. It's merely that a lot (but not necessarily all) of the stuff that Kotaku did, back around 2014-ish, that caused people to believe that there was some kind of conspiracy, or collusion or something else underhanded or shady could potentially be explained by the entire staff of Kotaku being incompetent retards who couldn't even beat the first level of Doom without a map. And, while I've posted this before, here's their Editor-in-Chief failing to beat the first level of Doom without a map.

I'm just floating it out there as a theory. And that would also mean that the MAGfest sign wasn't a gamergate dogwhistle at all. Kotaku are just that shit at their jobs

Neither you, but anw. Move on. Next time just google it.

You never even tried your own suggestion to find out you're wrong and are a stubborn buffoon.

Anyway again, someone dmed me the info, more complex than your laziness indicated. Move on.

Moneal

HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU FEEL UNSAFE BECAUSE OF A BAD JOKE ON A SIGN WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK PASS THE BLEACH
It's a lie. They create an oppressor vs oppressed narrative. The oppressor can do no right. Where the oppressed can do no wrong. The oppressor can not joke, because words=violence. The oppressed can use threats of violence or even actual violence, because they are fighting the good fight.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Glenn Greenwald has written quite a bit about how "journalists" (and with Kotaku I use this term VERY loosely) have designated themselves as a protected class while they hold the power to destroy peoples' lives and say whatever they want. Kotaku and Gawker and whatever remains of it have been malign influences not just in gaming but in our culture for a long time but they still declare themselves free from criticism or even mockery

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/your-top-priority-is-the-emotional

Last edited:

Gojiira

Banned
‘Feel unsafe’ for fucks sake, what a bunch of actual snowflakes. The hypocrisy is staggering when cucktaku evidently made a similar jab towards them. Gawd I hate this woke ‘muh feewings’ nonsense.

Moneal

Dog whistle is so overused
Its a mostly bs term anyway. If someone did figure out what coded words were being used by white supremacists or other groups they would just change their coded words to new ones. Also most white supremacists dont seem to care that others know what they believe.

They almost got me to attend when I first saw that banner lol but backpedaling and letting these clowns dictate what they can and can't do just lost me. Oh well.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The way cry bullies escalate things is so childish. They apologized, even though it was a misunderstanding, but Klepek refused to be an adult and accept an apology gracefully.

Then that other guy had to keep it going, taking it a step further and link them to gamer gate in a totally non sequitur way.

This is not the behavior of good, honest people.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
The way cry bullies escalate things is so childish. They apologized, even though it was a misunderstanding, but Klepek refused to be an adult and accept an apology gracefully.

Then that other guy had to keep it going, taking it a step further and link them to gamer gate in a totally non sequitur way.

They have no need to apologize. They should have doubled down and told these “journalists” to go back to their mothers basements.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They have no need to apologize. They should have doubled down and told these “journalists” to go back to their mothers basements.

I would have just given a curt but polite reply that it was a simple joke, but if it offended, than I am sorry - and left it at that. Basically in the same spirit and intent as what you say, but in a clearly backhanded way to kill them with kindness.

rolandss

I feel like companies just crucify themselves on Twitter to audiences for their products or services that don’t exist for them in the first place. The confected online outrage of these types of things are not the type of people you’d make money from anyway.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
No idea why companies take twitter criticism from non fans at face value, these losers are not fans and never were of the things they attack, they are just looking at things to attack to make themselves feel better.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No idea why companies take twitter criticism from non fans at face value, these losers are not fans and never were of the things they attack, they are just looking at things to attack to make themselves feel better.
No doubt one part laziness and trying to avoid hassles.

Before social media, I worked at a place where I sat right over the cubicle wall from our dept's CSR. She handled all the incoming emails and calls, which could include irrational complainers. Sometimes she'd give in, sometimes she'd hold firm.

When it got escalated to her boss (the marketing manager), he gave in almost time. I knew that because when I got wind of it, the marketing guy sat in an office behind me. When you got people asking for refunds or exchanges 5 years later, you'd think every company would say "sorry bud, it's been 5 years". Instead, he gave in and told CSR to send them a new replacement.

He just didn't want to deal with this shit as he had other things to do.

So if internal CSR issues cant be bothered with, just imagine how companies are dealing with social media issues in public. It'll even be even faster to resolve it and move on. They know this is the best recourse because 99% of people are fine with the product and dont care. They want to avoid elongated twitter battles.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

That's why you never give an inch to these people. Ignore them completely and starve them of the attention they seek.

Top Bottom