• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAGfest takes the piss out of Kotaku, gets bullied into apologizing by danger hair journos for "gamergate dogwhistling" and "making them feel unsafe"

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Lets Just Be Real Chris Redd GIF by Saturday Night Live

Meicyn

Gold Member
Am I alone in not knowing what the fuck gamergate actually is or means? I've seen it mentioned many times over the years, and even though I've tried to look it up, I don't actually know what it means, anyone able to explain to a simpleton?
Never more proud of myself than the times Gamergate comes up, and I’m reminded that I have no fucking clue what anyone is talking about. Seems like it would be annoying to know.
What is gamergate?
Think Bloody Mary. Chant it three times in front of your computer monitor with the lights out, and it’ll appear.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Actually Kotaku deserves it. I can't even read the shit on my phone when I visit the site with dozens of pop ups and videos playing all over the screen. It's a shitshow.

UnNamed

Banned
The pun is bad though, Kotaku has lot of issues but I don't think integrity is one of them, since (sadly) their problem is in fact they really believe in what they write.

Bragr

Banned
Am I alone in not knowing what the fuck gamergate actually is or means? I've seen it mentioned many times over the years, and even though I've tried to look it up, I don't actually know what it means, anyone able to explain to a simpleton?
It's from the Anita Sarkisian days, a bunch of people championed women in games and a bunch of gamers attacked them over it. Gamergate is a term for a group of people who attack people with misogynistic comments and sometimes racism. It's viewed as a hostile internet hate group.

One of the reasons there is pushback against it is because the victims of it were people like Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian, who also harassed and attacked people. And the people who use Gamergate, like in this instance Kotaku fans, use it in a manner where it shouldn't be used.

So for some, Gamergate is internet hate against certain groups of people, mostly women and people of color, and for others, it's a way to attack others with little substance, as people do right now against these organizers. It's complicated.

From what I remember, some indie game developer may or may not have been sleeping with a Kotaku writer and that developers game may or may not have gotten a lot of media coverage from Kotaku at around the same time, which then brought up a discussion of the closeness of games journalists and game developers/publishers and whether or not games journalists can be trusted to accurately report gaming news. Of course, some people then took things too far and began harassment campaigns against certain journalists and developers/publishers.

Filben

"Unsafe".

What did people living in Europe around 1915 or 1940 feel like? What do women in Iran feel like these days? Or Afghanistan? North Korea? China? What do people feel like in so many African nations or other shit holes on earth? A good portion of """whataboutism""" wouldn't be so bad actually. Because these people here have no idea what "unsafe" is like if you're only looking at your little world.

I've spent six fucking months in a shit hole in Africa and seeing babies literally dumped in the garbage yard, co workers being robbed on the streets, people butchered by machetes. I had to pass security guys every time I went home and was advised to never leave the compound alone, not by daylight and all the more not after dark.

And a somewhat mean joke or whatever this was made their feel unsafe? Get a fucking grip. If that's what you're worrying about in your life it just means you have it pretty good all things considered. Be a little fucking more grateful and laugh it off for fuck's sake.

Woggleman

If they just shrugged their shoulders and moved on this would have been forgotten by now but like they usually do the social justice people turn minor things into big dramas.

Jadsey

They felt 'unsafe'?

Was the sign not properly secured and about to fall on them on something?!

Mind you, with a forehead as big as this cunt :

tcEFmdE.jpg

I wonder what is filling that space in his head, cos it sure ain't brains...

Fake

Can someone explain to me how attacking Kotaku specifically makes you support GG? Or am I missing something?

So you can't criticize Kotaku?

Game journalist usually use this trick when they got 'attacked' or when they can't take a joke over social media.
Hard Drive long time ago make a joke about IGN and got all their stuff attacking his site because they can't take a joke.

The funny thing is, most of the game sites make jokes most of the time about someone, but they never try to taste.
In the absence of argument, accuse of being Gamergate.

Orta

Banned
qAFxIt5I_400x400.jpg

Look at this little bitch. Scared of a poster. "But words hurt, mom!", he cried into the phone with his tiresome mother while hiding in the genderneutral toilet.

[How's that for dogwhistling, you cretin. Deliberately stirring up controversy for clout, fuck off with that shit]

tvmshC.gif

I agree that this is ridiculous, but some of you need to know what a joke is. Let’s be real, they 100% think Kotaku has no journalistic integrity. It’s not really a joke if you completely mean what you’re saying.

Fake

I agree that this is ridiculous, but some of you need to know what a joke is. Let’s be real, they 100% think Kotaku has no journalistic integrity. It’s not really a joke if you completely mean what you’re saying.

Can be 99%?

Is just a joke mate. The event is like 24 hours. The year not even start. We will forget this event very soon.

jigglet

Banned
If a joke makes them feel unsafe, imagine if they were doing real journalism where people are actively out there trying to silence. A lot of these guys probably aspire to real journalism, like a post at the New York Times or whatever. I sure hope they never fucking make it. They haven't got the grit to be true journalists. Not even close.

MiguelItUp

Funny that looking at that, my first response was. "Lol, funny little jab." But people made it into such an ordeal that they were forced reverse it. Lol, "gamergate dog-whistling"? Wtf?

In its infancy Kotaku was alright, but that was like... what? Somewhere between 15-20 years ago? They got real bad, REAL fast. I wish people would stop giving them clicks all together.

Funny how mainstream humor and comedy just straight up died over the last few years because people can't jokes anymore.

Last edited:
Can be 99%?

Is just a joke mate. The event is like 24 hours. The year not even start. We will forget this event very soon.
What

I’m not defending Kotaku here, from what I’ve seen the website is trash

I just wanted to point out that something isn’t a “joke” if they actually fully believe/mean what they’re saying! If I tell my 600 lbs. cousin “you’re really fat you need to hit the gym. Haha just joking!”…. that’s not a joke

Last edited:
Game journalist usually use this trick when they got 'attacked' or when they can't take a joke over social media.
Hard Drive long time ago make a joke about IGN and got all their stuff attacking his site because they can't take a joke.

The funny thing is, most of the game sites make jokes most of the time about someone, but they never try to taste.

That doesn't answer my question though, how is criticizing news sites related to GG?

Fake

What

I’m not defending Kotaku here, from what I’ve seen the website is trash

I just wanted to point out that something isn’t a “joke” if they actually fully believe/mean what they’re saying! If I tell my 600 lbs. cousin “you’re really fat you need to hit the gym. Haha just joking!”…. that’s not a joke

Case to case, IDK why bring such a poor comparison of things here. If was that joke you mention, of course would be bad, but was not even close to this deegree.

BTW, Kotaku make this article before they even notice the joke inside the event.

That doesn't answer my question though, how is criticizing news sites related to GG?

I never said that the answer make sense. I just pointing the patern here. I would suggest you to look at google for more information.

Again, is a Twitter thing to accuse someone of something without real argument.

Last edited:
Case to case, IDK why bring such a poor comparison of things here. If was that joke you mention, of course would be bad, but was not even close to this deegree.

BTW, Kotaku make this article before they even notice the joke inside the event.

I never said that the answer make sense. I just pointing the patern here. I would suggest you to look at google for more information.

Again, is a Twitter thing to accuse someone of something without real argument.

I’m not saying what they said was bad. I was just arguing semantics because I personally get annoyed IRL when people say something that they actually mean, but because they said it in some fun/sarcastic tone, they think they can claim they were “just joking” lol

Top Bottom