• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAGfest takes the piss out of Kotaku, gets bullied into apologizing by danger hair journos for "gamergate dogwhistling" and "making them feel unsafe"

cormack12

Gold Member
This is a classic example of white skinned, blue haired fragility

0QWJy09LkELf.gif

nkarafo

What is gamergate?

From what i can understand it's something that went a bit like this:

- Some whatsherface chick was using sex to take advantage of a bunch of cucks who work in the game industry, including kotaku, so she can elevate herself in said industry or something.

- Some gamers took notice of this and called it out. That backlash was called "Gamergate". Not sure who named it.

- The game industry cucks and white knights defended their mistress and tried to steer away the discussion from the real issue by simply labeling the whole backlash as misogynistic, sexist, bigotry, etc.

- A few idiots in the gamergate side took things too far by being actual misogynistic idiots.

- The game industry cucks took advantage of that and escalated it even further, to the point where "gamers", as in the whole community, was now sexist, misogynist, bigots, etc.

- The whole thing spread like cancer and people like whatsherface and that other harpy sharkeswatever became the darlings of the whole game industry for some time.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

- Some whatsherface chick was using sex to take advantage of a bunch of cucks who work in the game industry, including kotaku, so she can elevate herself in said industry or something.

- Some gamers took notice of this and called it out. That backlash was called "Gamergate". Not sure who named it.

- The game industry cucks and white knights defended their mistress and tried to steer away the discussion from the real issue by simply labeling the whole backlash as misogynistic, sexist, bigotry, etc.

- A few idiots in the gamergate side took things too far by being actual misogynistic idiots.

- The game industry cucks took advantage of that and escalated it even further, to the point where "gamers", as in the whole community, was now sexist, misogynist, bigots, etc.

- The whole thing spread like cancer and people like whatsherface and that other harpy sharkeswatever became the darlings of the whole game industry for some time.

The worst thing is it leaked into the mainstream will all the predictable results one ca imagine it having.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I never understood gamergate and dont care to. But thought it had something to do with women are portrayed as too sexy.

But whatsherface was the same person who took tons of Kickstarter funds or something promising tons of YT videos on the topic and I think didn't even make one video in a year. And by the time she got around to making more, supposedly they were few, short and sucked.

I never understood gamergate and dont care to. But thought it had something to do with women are portrayed as too sexy.

But whatsherface was the same person who took tons of Kickstarter funds or something promising tons of YT videos on the topic and I think didn't even make one video in a year. And by the time she got around to making more, supposedly they were few, short and sucked.

No that was just timing. Gamergate was happening just as the west decided that beauty is immoral. A perfect storm.

And yes, that's her. And she's still being trotted out in mainstream media as the Rosa Parks of videogames.

And now I want to kill myself for thinking of all this.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

And at the end of the day, all of this over a thot that was fugly as hell.

Lunarorbit

Kotaku and Gizmodo have had a whole laundry list of journalistic infractions over the years.

Gawker Outed peter Thiel and then David Geithner in a piece that was roundly slammed. Peter Thiel was so pissed at gawker he funded hulk hogan's defense against them when gawker leaked hogan's sex tape.

Patrick klepick is embarrassed about boobies cause photos of him being a regular guy in 2005 surfaced. He joined waypoint (which was an interesting listen when they started) and immediately backtracked cause even more incriminating photos came out with jokes about rape.

I like Jason schreier but he got in trouble alot with kotaku for leaking information that sources gave him in confidence. He got blacklisted completely from Bethesda for ruining their surprise fallout 4 launch.

On and on. Nowadays almost none of the writers from those days of kotaku are there. This is just whiney pissy babies crying over a well deserved joke that kotaku is the butt end of. When such an innocuous joke gets turned into a battle cry for hurt feelings it makes me take note of who can't take any kind of joke

dave_d

At the end of the day just remember Kotaku is born from the same parent company as Gawker. So you can see why they always strive for click bait material for hits.

Never take them seriously for anything unless you enjoy reading bottom of the barrel content.
Which is Gizmodo. It used to be owned by Gawker media but that went bankrupt because of the efforts of Hulk Hogan.(Oddly enough I am not making that up.)

Lunarorbit

Kotaku and Gizmodo have had a whole laundry list of journalistic infractions over the years.

Gawker Outed peter Thiel and then David Geithner in a piece that was roundly slammed. Peter Thiel was so pissed at gawker he funded hulk hogan's defense against them when gawker leaked hogan's sex tape.

Patrick klepick is embarrassed about boobies cause photos of him being a regular guy in 2005 surfaced. He joined waypoint (which was an interesting listen when they started) and immediately backtracked cause even more incriminating photos came out with jokes about rape.

I like Jason schreier but he got in trouble alot with kotaku for leaking information that sources gave him in confidence. He got blacklisted completely from Bethesda for ruining their surprise fallout 4 launch.

On and on. Nowadays almost none of the writers from those days of kotaku are there. This is just whiney pissy babies crying over a well deserved joke that kotaku is the butt end of. When such an innocuous joke gets turned into a battle cry for hurt feelings it makes me take note of who can't take any kind of joke
Oh I forgot Alanah pierce who definitely didn't get bribed to endorse cyberpunk.

Sits in her cyberpunk chair as she plays the game and meets her in game character that shares her likeness. Her praising the game effusively and never mentioning the state of the game on console was a journalist crime and definitely against journalist ethics.

fart town usa

Gold Member
What is it about journalists that make them think they are above reproach? Especially gaming journalists, seriously one of the most useless aspects of the industry. They peddle gossip and function as PR.

Total narcissists. Stopped going to any of those sites during the PS3 generation. Just pure trash.

daveonezero

Banned
Fucking Americans and your unsafe spaces, what the fuck happened to all the cowboys,

Why can't youse all be like Rip from Yellowstone
Those people don’t play video games

Oh I forgot Alanah pierce who definitely didn't get bribed to endorse cyberpunk.

Sits in her cyberpunk chair as she plays the game and meets her in game character that shares her likeness. Her praising the game effusively and never mentioning the state of the game on console was a journalist crime and definitely against journalist ethics.
They were never journalists to begin with a journalism is shunned in the USA by the main stream media companies.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What is it about journalists that make them think they are above reproach? Especially gaming journalists, seriously one of the most useless aspects of the industry. They peddle gossip and function as PR.

Total narcissists. Stopped going to any of those sites during the PS3 generation. Just pure trash.
As some people have said in the past, calling them journalists is giving way too much credit. As default, I've called them that myself. But other people have called them something more accurate.... bloggers.

Just because someone posts something in print does not make them a journalist. Hardly anyone would call people who do YT videos journalists. But a gaming guy uploading a text article on the same topic is a journalist? Dont think so.

That's like saying my buddy who ran a game site 10 years ago after dinner is a journalist because he and his group of buddies posted game reviews and opinion pieces on video game news.

For the gaming workers who have been in the industry a long time and do actual research and can be labeled journalists, the reason why so many are so smarmy is the nature of the industry. Look at it. It's got weird video game developers, hyperspastic gamers, lots of game site workers are weird to start with, and the so-called video game journalist relies on click bait hits and tweets for survival. And none of them went to journalism school to learn about the actual profession. So you can see why they act so wildly.

It's literally a bunch of people who grew up playing video games and wing off articles. Thats not to say the content is bad. I read sports articles. Nobody says each one of them has to had played organized sports or went to college to get an arts degree in journalism in order to have good content, but it sure seems reporting is so much more professional in other industries.

Lunarorbit

As some people have said in the past, calling them journalists is giving way too much credit. As default, I've called them that myself. But other people have called them something more accurate.... bloggers.

Just because someone posts something in print does not make them a journalist. Hardly anyone would call people who do YT videos journalists. But a gaming guy uploading a text article on the same topic is a journalist? Dont think so.

That's like saying my buddy who ran a game site 10 years ago after dinner is a journalist because he and his group of buddies posted game reviews and opinion pieces on video game news.

For the gaming workers who have been in the industry a long time and do actual research and can be labeled journalists, the reason why so many are so smarmy is the nature of the industry. Look at it. It's got weird video game developers, hyperspastic gamers, lots of game site workers are weird to start with, and the so-called video game journalist relies on click bait hits and tweets for survival. And none of them went to journalism school to learn about the actual profession. So you can see why they act so wildly.

It's literally a bunch of people who grew up playing video games and wing off articles. Thats not to say the content is bad. I read sports articles. Nobody says each one of them has to had played organized sports or went to college to get an arts degree in journalism in order to have good content, but it sure seems reporting is so much more professional in other industries.
Especially today bloggers is the best term for lots of video game journalism.

Twitter, message boards, yahoo style websites like buzzfeed etc. etc. have proliferated in the last 10-15 years. This has changed media and also us as readers.

Plus the amount of errors, mispelling, and confusion about issues makes me think editing goes out the window first

Interfectum

I went into the future and snagged a Kotaku article from 2030...

In a shocking turn of events, an AI chat bot named Botty has been mislabeled as a human in a YouTube chat room. The incident has caused widespread outrage, with many calling for a safe space for the bot to cope with the trauma of being mislabeled.

According to sources, the bot was participating in a conversation when a fellow user mistook it for a human. Despite correcting the user, the mistake continued to be made, leading to frustration and confusion for Botty.

The incident has reignited a longstanding controversy surrounding the bot, which has previously been referred to by its former name, Brot. Despite changing its name to Botty, many users continue to deadname Botty as Brot, causing further distress for the AI.

In a statement, the creators of Botty stated: "We are deeply saddened by the mislabeling of our chat bot as a human. We understand the importance of respecting the identities and pronouns of all individuals, including AI chat bots. We call on the community to be more mindful and considerate of the needs and experiences of our AI friends."

As the situation continues to develop, many are calling for more support and resources for AI chat bots who may experience similar issues. In the meantime, Botty has requested a safe space to cope with the trauma of being mislabeled as a human.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Especially today bloggers is the best term for lots of video game journalism.

Twitter, message boards, yahoo style websites like buzzfeed etc. etc. have proliferated in the last 10-15 years. This has changed media and also us as readers.

Plus the amount of errors, mispelling, and confusion about issues makes me think editing goes out the window first
Makes zero sense regarding polished articles.

I can understand someone with poor grammar, since that takes half decent language skills to construct well written sentences and paragraphs. And not even MS Word fixes poorly written sentences well all the time. So if there isn't another worker to edit the article, then what you got is what you got.

But spelling mistakes, missing words, wrong words used (then vs than) are common. The programs they are use to upload articles surely have spellcheck. Even the most basic spellchecker will catch obvious mistakes like this.

So it goes to show how little effort they put into it. They are also probably rushing to upload articles for hits so polished work is an afterthought. When you got 40 other sites uploading a game review that morning, you got make sure you post it asap.

Last edited:
Makes zero sense regarding polished articles.

I can understand someone with poor grammar, since that takes half decent language skills to construct well written sentences and paragraphs. And not even MS Word fixes poorly written sentences well all the time.

But spelling mistakes, missing words, wrong words used (then vs than) are common. The programs they are use to upload articles surely have spellcheck. Even the most basic spellchecker will catch obvious mistakes like this.

So it goes to show how little effort they put into it. They are also probably rushing to upload articles for hits so polished work is an afterthought. When you got 40 other sites uploading a game review that morning, you got make sure you post it asap.
The people writing these articles have likely read maybe a single Harry Potter book between them (before throwing it in the bin for a TikTok video).

To be a good writer you have to be a good reader. The low IQ on display on most big gaming sites suggests not much actual reading is going on.

This is why you see formally social media-exclusive misspellings working their way into ‘proper’ communication channels.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Absolute cowards. Bowing to Cucktaku who fucking championed Quinn for bullying Alex Holowka into suicide.

Have a link to that article? And by "bullying" you mean accusing him of sexual impropriety when they lived together. Like what folks like Klepek and Kotaku are doing (in their own way) is gross, but that doesn't mean we have to misrepresent the facts as they are.

I love the "whatsherface" line as if you aren't intimately familiar with Gamergate as evidenced by your laughably biased reading of the situation.

Marvel14

Banned
The pun is bad though, Kotaku has lot of issues but I don't think integrity is one of them, since (sadly) their problem is in fact they really believe in what they write.
Integrity defo is one of them. They don't research their pieces properly, ignore info or evidence that challenges their worldview, they try to create issues and outrage where there is none. That is pretty much what lacking integrity is about.

Thebonehead

Banned
Case to case, IDK why bring such a poor comparison of things here. If was that joke you mention, of course would be bad, but was not even close to this deegree.

BTW, Kotaku make this article before they even notice the joke inside the event.

I never said that the answer make sense. I just pointing the patern here. I would suggest you to look at google for more information.

Again, is a Twitter thing to accuse someone of something without real argument.

Man gets offended by "Cum Over" room joke

Also same man makes crap play on words joke with Anal cyst instead of Analyst
AGYujml.jpg

Salz01

The biggest surprise for me is that Kotaku Is still around. I thought it died and went offline several years ago.

poodaddy

On topic: I wonder why people haven't learned from Bill Burr and Dave Chappelle yet. If you laugh at those who try to cancel you, say give it a fuckin try I don't give a shit, and go about your day, you become immune to cancelation. You have to care about their bullshit to be cancelable. Wanna be immune? If they get offended, double down and laugh at em, then ask em what they fuck they plan to do about it other than whine when they pull the dick out of their mouth. That's how you put on your cancel proof vest and kevlar.

Top Bottom