• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

DCaZk7vWsAAAuYO.jpg

2G
Sorcery
Destroy target forest, green enchantment or green PW. If Nissa, draw a card

Stone Rain for forests. I wonder if it'll see any sb play.

Might be best to wait for discussion of this to die down before creating the next thread.

As for the Gatewatch Defeat cycle, here's the last self-hate cycle for comparison.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

The blue Defeat is strictly better than Gainsay.

They aren't good enough cards to justify it, but if one of the people in my play group puts together a Nicol Bolas EDH deck to fight my Superfriends deck and runs at least three of the cycle, it will still be an instant classic.

Santiako

I think I see a Boros planeswalker (might be two mana but it's so blurry that I can't really tell) on the top right. The typeline is longer like Jace so presumably all pws will be legendary supertype from Ixalan on.

Yikes. :/ Definitely not a fan of this. Having every rare and mythic leaked before release (because, face it, this person is gonna leak the whole sheet) is definitely gonna hurt the set.

Might be best to wait for discussion of this to die down before creating the next thread.

As for the Gatewatch Defeat cycle, here's the last self-hate cycle for comparison.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

The blue Defeat is strictly better than Gainsay.
It wasn't self-hate, but I was definitely super-fucking spoiled by Self-Inflicted Wound when it comes to hate cards. Literally ran x4 in my board because it was so good in that meta.

Image.ashx

So. Fucking. Good.

Ashodin

fuck me, is that a 2 mana RW planeswalker with Loyalty 3?

I also see

Temple Lord 1W
Creature - Human Cleric?
Creatures entering the battlefield don't cause abilities to trigger.
2/2

Honestly, I'm still not super keen about any of the thread titles we've decided on. Another last minute suggestion.

Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Also, I'm thinking it might be better to hold off on creating the new thread until tomorrow morning, that is to say in about 8 and a half hours. Previews are supposed to start after round 15 of PT Las Vegas, right? Will that have happened by that time?

Santiako

Merfolk getting a nice toy for their Kira/Clique slot:

Kopala(?), Warden of Waves | 1UU

Legendary Creature - Merfolk Wizard | Rare

Spells your opponents cast that target a Merfolk you control cost 1 more to cast.

Abilities your opponents activate that target a Merfolk you control cost 1 more to activate.

"I know these oceans better than you know ???" (?)

2/2

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly, I'm still not super keen about any of the thread titles we've decided on. Another last minute suggestion.

Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Also, I'm thinking it might be better to hold off on creating the new thread until tomorrow morning, that is to say in about 8 and a half hours. Previews are supposed to start after round 15 of PT Las Vegas, right? Will that have happened by that time?
Hour of Jace's Defeat

Blue spell. Gain control of target creature with converted mana cost (X?)

It's been ages since there was a permanent creature stealing spell.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
At this point it seems like a bit much to just leak the whole set.

I mean like just seeing Captain Speed or whatever was fine by just getting every card feels like it ruins spoilers.

At this point it seems like a bit much to just leak the whole set.

Yeah, at this point they've already leaked like, what, 20+ rares/mythics in more-or-less complete forms? Gonna totally fuck up preview season and we're gonna see a distinct lack of excitement in late August when this is supposed to be ramping up. :/

If they'd stopped at the very first picture it would've honestly been kind of fun to have this little bit of unintentional knowledge going in, but now it's all just gonna get blown out.

Ashodin

Yeah, at this point they've already leaked like, what, 20+ rares/mythics in more-or-less complete forms? Gonna totally fuck up preview season and we're gonna see a distinct lack of excitement in late August when this is supposed to be ramping up. :/

If they'd stopped at the very first picture it would've honestly been kind of fun to have this little bit of unintentional knowledge going in, but now it's all just gonna get blown out.

And for such a fucking cool set too

Someone wanted internet brownie points and I hope they get internet shit points.

Just realized that the enemy check lands can get printed in Rivals because of the naming scheme, since there's a church and everything.

Silvard

Guys, I last played real Magic (one draft event last year notwithstanding) like 13 years ago. What's the best way to dip my feet back in? What are the formats nowadays and the commitment level required to have fun and be competitive? I don't have any cards to speak of, so I'd be starting from scratch.

Ashodin

so there are more spoilers for ixalan than hour of devestation now?

Ain't that some shit?

Guys, I last played real Magic (one draft event last year notwithstanding) like 13 years ago. What's the best way to dip my feet back in? What are the formats nowadays and the commitment level required to have fun and be competitive? I don't have any cards to speak of, so I'd be starting from scratch.

Go to another draft event, or go to an upcoming prerelease (Hour of Devastation). Try the Magic Duels program on Steam. Standard just had some huge shakeups, so buy-ins on all the top tier decks should be pretty low (low being around $200, I mean). I'd also recommend getting a Commander deck if you want to play casual and learn that format.

Angry Grimace

so there are more spoilers for ixalan than hour of devestation now?
By a ton.

In the short term drafting or limited.

Yeef

I think we probably have all the mechanics, too. It's a pretty sad state of affairs.

Raid (If a creature attacked this turn, X)
Enrage (When this creature takes damage, X)
Treasure tokens (T, Sacrifice: Add 1 mana of any color)

Heavy tribal subthemes. I'm super interested in the world-building, because it seems pretty disparate at a glance. (Plus mono-white vampires seem interesting and remind me of Perfect Creature.)

Despite it being a Tropical MesoAmerican Plane, we've evidently got glaciers (see Glacial Fortress).

It's not super bad when we get an unintended leak if it's small (See Kozilek with C Mana, or even the first few cards of this). Full on leaking all the Mythics and Rares is where I draw the line, because that's just a dick move.

It's like showing a still shot of a film that's weird out of context leading to speculation(IE Star Wars Teasers, where the first two had a bunch of relative nonsense scenes) vs giving away the whole fucking movie (IE Spiderman Homecoming's trailers)

Silvard

Ain't that some shit?

Go to another draft event, or go to an upcoming prerelease (Hour of Devastation). Try the Magic Duels program on Steam. Standard just had some huge shakeups, so buy-ins on all the top tier decks should be pretty low (low being around $200, I mean). I'd also recommend getting a Commander deck if you want to play casual and learn that format.

So why is Commander considered to be casual? And is a pre constructed deck a good idea?

I'm also thinking of picking up one of those Duel Deck packs that are pretty cheap to play with a friend, good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom