• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
So why is Commander considered to be casual? And is a pre constructed deck a good idea?

Commander is weird because it can be casual or competitive. Most people play free-for-all, which is not a competitive format (I exclusively play 2v2 commander) so it's not surprising people think it"s low-skill.

Preconstucted commander decks can be a good base to start on and are a lot easier to play for beginners, but if you feel like there is a particular deck you want to make, I'd just go ahead and make it. You can always use less powerful cards to start with and then replace them when you can. Don't have Murderous Cut? Just use Doom Blade. Don't have Cultivate? Just use Rampant Growth. You can probably buy an EDH deck out of individual cards that is the same price as a precon, but a lot more competitive.

Next prerelease is in 3 weeks, definitely hit it up if you can.

Maledict

Meh, the spoilers are going to depress sales of both Hour of Devastation and Ixitlan. What a fuck up.

Lore wise, I find it a bit silly that the gatewatch managed to take out two Eldrazi titans without breaking a sweat but Bolas seems to obliterate them effortlessly. Whilst I'm all in favor of kicking the crap out of the Gatewatch, I'm still not keen on Bolas as the ultimate enemy simply because he's seemed like a cartoon villain for most of his appearances in magic.

Really want to see the Locust god though, that will be cool... ;-)

Meh, the spoilers are going to depress sales of both Hour of Devastation and Ixitlan. What a fuck up.

Lore wise, I find it a bit silly that the gatewatch managed to take out two Eldrazi titans without breaking a sweat but Bolas seems to obliterate them effortlessly. Whilst I'm all in favor of kicking the crap out of the Gatewatch, I'm still not keen on Bolas as the ultimate enemy simply because he's seemed like a cartoon villain for most of his appearances in magic.

Agree wholeheartedly.
Also, this is going to make it seem even more of an asspull when they beat Bolas in round 2. Especially if they power him up to raise the stakes.

DCblHCIVYAATbe2.jpg

This seems good.

EDIT: I misread that it said white creature. Boo.

Firemind

Can't even kill Gideon when he shits out tokens lol. I suppose he's going to rotate soon but still.

Lore wise, I find it a bit silly that the gatewatch managed to take out two Eldrazi titans without breaking a sweat but Bolas seems to obliterate them effortlessly.
That's because the Eldrazi ain't shit after they lost Annihilate ;)

ironmang

What can WOTC even do at this point about the leaks? Will they just skip preview week if we know the whole set? Seems a shame for the sites and players who get to spoil a card.

Remember when Ajani just walked up to Bolas and Bolas couldn't do shit to him?

Maledict

Remember when Ajani just walked up to Bolas and Bolas couldn't do shit to him?

Yeah, I'm assuming they've powered him up because of all the mockery he received last time. I'm sort of struggling to see how he isn't already at pre-Mending power level right now given he appears to still be in complete control of a plan, it's gods, and wipe out 5 very high power planeswalkers without breaking a sweat.

Not that I mind the baddies actually being tough - it was utterly dumb how the Eldrazi were destroyed and a complete failure on their lore team, even if they are going to come back at some point.

Wichu

IXN leak observations and spoilers:

The four tribes in the set arr Grixis pirates, Naya dinosaurs, G/U Merfolk, and W/B Vampires.

R/W Planeswalker definitely has a generic symbol in its cost. My guess is 2RW.

It's really hard to tell, but the legendary Vampire might have a R activated ability (based on four pixels). The ability effect isn't red, though, and the symbol doesn't look like a white, black, generic, or tap symbol:

3(?)WB
Legendary Creature - Vampire Knight(?)
Vigilance, lifelink
R(?), Pay 7(?) life: Destroy target nonland permanent. Activate this ability only during your turn.
flavour text
4/4(?)

The two rare vehicles are:

? Flagship 3
Pirates you control get +1/+0(?)
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
Crew ?
5/7(?)

3(?)
Whenever a creature you control explores, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
Crew 1(?)
4/4

The mechanics on the first on are an awesome way to make a tribal vehicle (I expect a crew cost of at least 4), while the second has sweet flavour.

?'s Sunwing 2W
Creature - Dinosaur
Flying
Creatures your opponents control enter the battlefield tapped.
2/1

This guy is totally called THALIADACTYL.

? ?WW
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may have two target players exchange life totals.

Tempted to run this to troll the Oloro player in my Commander playgroup.

? 2BB
Creature - Vampire Knight
Whenever a Vampire you control attacks, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
2/4(?)

Shame that BFZ and SOI rotate out right as this comes in. Maybe Vampire tribal could have been a thing.

Wakening Sun's Avatar 5WWW(?)
When ~ enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, destroy all non-Dinosaur creatures.
7/7?

If Dinosaur tribal is to be viable in Commander, this guy really helps!

Fleet Swallower 5UU
Creature - Fish
Whenever ~ attacks, target player puts the top half of his or her library, rounded up, into his or her graveyard.
6/6(?)

TRAUMATIZE FISH IS IN THE HOUSE

B
Creature - Human Pirate
1B, T: Exile two target cards from an opponent's graveyard. ~ explores.
1/1

Middling graveyard hate.

A_Dang

Quick thoughts about the leaks: I am involved in 2 distinct playgroups that rarely overlap (aside from me and possibly one mother person). One of those playgroups is constantly on Reddit, reading the latest news from the mothership and all that good stuff. They have seen the leaks, they have been talking about them...but, as a group, most of them never buy sealed product, aside from one avid drafter and each person likely doing a prerelease occasionally. The other playgroup pays no attention to announcements from the mothership or anything from the larger MTG community. If I am not telling them about it they just won't know. I brought up the leaks and announcement week with a few memebers of that group last night and they had no idea about any of it. In general people in this playgroup purchase more sealed product for casual drafting or sealed nights.

In my experience these leaks are not going to affect either groups purchasing habits at all. The only real difference is that the entrenched players that pay attention to the community are mad because spoiler season is going to be boring (even though they could just ignore the leaks...).

Those are just my thoughts and observations from the groups I am involved with. I do totally get how large scale lack of hype could damage sales, it's just not going to be the case with people I know.

If Fatal Push hadn't been printed, I think it would have been reasonable sideboard. But board slots have a lot of pressure on them right now, so I don't think it'll see Modern play.

OK charlequin, time to split off the new thread.

Regarding the leaks, the best way to handle them now is to not talk about them in the next thread, so everyone's memory gets foggy by the time they get officially revealed.

And screw it, using OT creator privilege. Thread title is:

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

DrArchon

I can't remember the last time I was so happy to watch the heroes of a story get their asses beat so thoroughly. Hope we won't see the Gatewatch in full for at least a couple of years.

Violet_0

Banned
I don't know how you want to enforce keeping the Ixalan talk out of the OT. It's the only interesting thing to discuss right now

traveler

Not Wario
Went 3-1 yesterday in Chaos sealed yesterday with a Karn ramp deck. Most fun format I've ever played at a side event lol.

Checked out the massive artist area, went and walked around Vegas a bit then entered a last chance trial modern tourney with the Jeskai list I've been on for 2 weeks now and went 4 0 to earn 2 byes. Could have slept in today thanks to them, but I'll head over early anyways.

Now 10-1 across all side events. I hope my main event runs go as well.

Santiako

Went 3-1 yesterday in Chaos sealed yesterday with a Karn ramp deck. Most fun format I've ever played at a side event lol.

Checked out the massive artist area, went and walked around Vegas a bit then entered a last chance trial modern tourney with the Jeskai list I've been on for 2 weeks now and went 4 0 to earn 2 byes. Could have slept in today thanks to them, but I'll head over early anyways.

Now 10-1 across all side events. I hope my main event runs go as well.

Nice. You playing the limited main event? Or just modern?

traveler

Not Wario
Playing limited and modern. Kind of want to play modern more as I really like Jeskai right now, so, in a way, I don't want to day 2 sealed lol. Will see how the pool is at least. If I 7-2 or worse, I'll drop. 8-1 would be a tough call. 9-0 and I'll stay in.

Winning the trial got my 2 byes in all remaining main events, so I didn't actually have to choose where to put them which would have been a bit awkward.

Santiako

Playing limited and modern. Kind of want to play modern more as I really like Jeskai right now, so, in a way, I don't want to day 2 sealed lol. Will see how the pool is at least. If I 7-2 or worse, I'll drop. 8-1 would be a tough call. 9-0 and I'll stay in.

Winning the trial got my 2 byes in all remaining main events, so I didn't actually have to choose where to put them which would have been a bit awkward.

Great, good luck!

Real happy for Paul. He got 2 kids a steady job is great for him.

Yeah, he seemed kinda depressed that he was not getting any results in the pro tour, so this seems like a good path for him.

I predict LSV joining in the future as well.

red13th

I hate watching Cheon produced content on CFB (his drafts are always the same and he doesn't seem to care when playing constructed), they would be my last options if Frank Lepore didn't exist so zzzzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom