• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Justin

So one of the things we've seen from MTG Arena is that (partially of necessity) they're greatly increasing the amount of iconography they're using for things. Here's an example screenshot:

I'm wondering again whether it might make sense to revamp the card frame again and incorporate more of this stuff. We already have the concept of card type icons from the future frame that could easily be incorporated into the spot used for DFC icons now; I could easily see putting icons for keywords along the border of the textbox for ease of reference.

Seems like only a matter of time at this point. I wonder if it will be Monday's article which MaRo has been hyping for a few months as the "biggest change to the way magic is being designed" since he started at WOTC.

Seems like only a matter of time at this point. I wonder if it will be Monday's article which MaRo has been hyping for a few months as the "biggest change to the way magic is being designed" since he started at WOTC.
He specifically said that was an internal change, not something readily apparent to players, though.

That said, I would be down for cards making clearer what abilities they have at a glance.

Santiako

Words. Words make it clear what abilities cards have. Those icons are harder to recognise than at a glance than the words. Arena has no textboxes so the icons make sense, but there's zero point in using them in paper.

EDIT: The only reason I could see is for consistency within Paper and Arena templates.

kirblar

Wasn't that the Architect team Verhey's on that's supervising all the others?

This is specifically about the way teams are constituted and the process from beginning to end of a set. We've already seen examples of this with the Play Design team working on a single set over its entire design lifespan, but several R&D people have said things hinting at even bigger changes to the basic "starts in design, then goes to development" mode from the past.

Words. Words make it clear what abilities cards have. Those icons are harder to recognise than at a glance than the words.

Oh I wouldn't ever replace the words. The card type icons on the Future frame didn't replace words, just gave you another way to quickly know the card's type at a glance. Similarly, it'd be extremely bad to replace the words "Flying" etc. on the card entirely, but could make the cards more easily usable if they were also reflected by icons.

Wasn't that the Architect team Verhey's on that's supervising all the others?

I think it's that and Play Design and some other changes to the Design -> Dev paradigm we don't know about yet.

So one of the things we've seen from MTG Arena is that (partially of necessity) they're greatly increasing the amount of iconography they're using for things. Here's an example screenshot:

I'm wondering again whether it might make sense to revamp the card frame again and incorporate more of this stuff. We already have the concept of card type icons from the future frame that could easily be incorporated into the spot used for DFC icons now; I could easily see putting icons for keywords along the border of the textbox for ease of reference.
If they revamp the card frame again, it'd be the perfect way to do the Future Sight Frames. Those symbols look like they'd be 1-2 steps to Future Sight style.

You can then get the following information from the frame without the text-box

Color, Type, Abilities, Cost, and Stats

OnPoint

It's not like anyone actually wanted Jace to get his memories back.

C'mon he inevitably was going to. I'm just hoping they use this as a convenient and quick way to rewrite his character from being a sour puss into someone with an actual personality.

... who also loves a gorgon.

I think it's a mistake to give set mechanics an own icon. I would use thise only for evergreen mechanics. In the short run it might be cool but what if Arena is still around in 10 years? I imagine you will burn through representations for similar mechanics very quickly. And people won't even remember the symbols by then... I think it will get quite messy.

Justin

I want them to go the other way. Less frame, more art! I really like the full art promos they make and would like all the cards that way.

DrArchon

I trust that the symbols shown aren't the only symbols for abilities in Arena. I mean, it'd be super weird to have unique symbols for Raid and Enrage but not Vigilance and First Strike.

I'll appreciate them in Arena just because there's no text box on any card at a glance, but unless they're really worried about confusing new paper players I don't see much of a reason to change up frames and add them there.

y2dvd

Played Legacy last night which I haven't done in several months and went 2-2. Even with my lost, my opponents and I agreed it were the most enjoyable magic we've played in a long while.

We had this one counter magic battle where he attempted to cast Delver of Secrets. I was at a low life total, so I couldn't let it resolve. I Force of Will, pitching whatever. He FoW back. I had Flusterstorm and Invigorate in hand and he had 4 mana up to pay for the Flusterstorm count, so I had to Invigorate my Noble Hierarch just to get my storm count to 5 and then cast Flusterstorm. My opponent and I busted out laughing haha!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm not going to say that amnesia should never ever ever be used as a plot device but jfc "he hit his head on a rock and now he gets his memories back" really?

Really?

Really?

Crocodile

Why can't Vraska just stay the evil assassin she always was? You can "humanize" her or develop her character without putting her into a relationship or trying to "redeem" her FFS! Bleh

So what do you think is gonna happen with Kyoshi and Hana now?

LOL I got this reference

Ashodin

Also I find it funny the story has "STRONG WOMAN DONT NEED NO MAN TO FEEL COMPLETE"

"DONT NEED NO MAN TO AFFIRM HER"

like what?

red13th

Everything is wrong about how they are handling Ixalan's story. I think it has amazing worldbuilding and is what Zendikar (zzzzzzz) should have been but the stories seem even crappier than usual. Poor Vraska.

Ashodin

Everything is wrong about how they are handling Ixalan's story. I think it has amazing worldbuilding and is what Zendikar (zzzzzzz) should have been but the stories seem even crappier than usual. Poor Vraska.

This is why even if Weatherlight's story was a fucking mess, there was a lot of buildup in describing the world, the lore of the places they were going, and how important they were.

Right now we get like six stories for a plane, which amount to a novella (if even that) and then we have to rely on the cards themselves to explore the plane and such.

When we had the novels they allowed the writer to breathe and illustrate the world in words that made everything feel like it belonged.

This just feels like THE AMAZING RACE: IXALAN EDITION

Also Drama!

I've said it before and I'll say it again; relationship drama, when not handled well, turns out GARBAGE

The early stories with Jace were amazing. Leaving him to his surroundings was great, and the story had a slow but elemental pace.

Now he's about to regenerate from Matt Smith back into Patrick Troughton or some shit

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'm shocked at the way WotC is handling the current storyline.

Last edited:

Ashodin

But nothing really happened

this happened

b9b26065014dc2d091cc725fb488907a.jpg

I don't have any problems with the romance myself either way, though it is fun to make jokes.

Now if they were small lesbian horses, I might have a stronger opinion.

Akim

Banned
Something I was thinking about today, what is stopping someone from cheating in drafts? Especially on the local game store level. The prize for first place where I'm at is nothing to sneeze at. No one really checks the cards, and everyone goes in and out of the store constantly. If I was a big piece of shit, I could EASILY bring in cards I didn't draft and make my deck insane. I don't think people are doing it, but it would be incredibly easy.

Ashodin

I think relationships look and read better when they have actual time to develop

Over MANY sets and things that happen

Vraska is literally just hot for MINDREADER JACE just by knowing him

Like innocence that she wants to corrupt type of trope.

Something I was thinking about today, what is stopping someone from cheating in drafts? Especially on the local game store level. The prize for first place where I'm at is nothing to sneeze at. No one really checks the cards, and everyone goes in and out of the store constantly. If I was a big piece of shit, I could EASILY bring in cards I didn't draft and make my deck insane. I don't think people are doing it, but it would be incredibly easy.
At larger events, the pack contents are known beforehand, so anything outside the pool will raise a red flag. LGS events are indeed just based on the honor system, or rather the "why bother?" system. However, I imagine if the owner suspects you're cheating, they have more latitude to ban you from the store without proof needed.

Really hard to do right. Eventually you'll meet an opponent in the same colours and/or with a good enough memory to discern he didn't pass any if those cards and question who passed you pack 2.

ultron87

I worry more about that stuff more at prereleases. Sometimes you face the absurd deck with all the on-color rares on Sunday and go "hmmmm".

Card Boy

Banned
Looks amazing. Only dislike so far is the way tapped cards look like.

Game seems fast and fluid, should be good for Aggro and Burn decks.

Really hard to do right. Eventually you'll meet an opponent in the same colours and/or with a good enough memory to discern he didn't pass any if those cards and question who passed you pack 2.

It might be easy to get caught if you overhaul your entire deck, but it wouldn't be hard to add, say, one bomb rare and an awesome uncommon before the first round starts, and no one would be the wiser

It might be easy to get caught if you overhaul your entire deck, but it wouldn't be hard to add, say, one bomb rare and an awesome uncommon before the first round starts, and no one would be the wiser
yeah you can definitely get away with it but I'd expect you'd eventually get caught w/o a coconspirator. Seems much easier to just signup with a friend at a store that only fires 1 table each time and prearrange signals.

Ashodin

Who the hell built Numot's deck, it's fucking terrible

Oh, the fans built it. Of course.

woof, the angled view approach is making Numot's lands basically unreadable

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Looks amazing. Only dislike so far is the way tapped cards look like.

Game seems fast and fluid, should be good for Aggro and Burn decks.

Tapped cards in Arena is going to join Urza is Green, Unban SFM, and Is Cryptic Command Balanced? as a regular topic of conversation in these threads, isn't it?

Card Boy

Banned
Tapped cards in Arena is going to join Urza is Green, Unban SFM, and Is Cryptic Command Balanced? as a regular topic of conversation in these threads, isn't it?

If it is a cause for regular conversation then give the option for us to change it. It doesn't matter what it looks like from the other players perspective let us change from our own POV. They can have the bad looking tap from their view for all i care.

Top Bottom