• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Heroes of the Storm development is officially ending, Blizzard has confirmed.

Draugoth

Gold Member
FXOVTAwWYAE8uUK

Blizzard has announced that its MOBA Heroes of the Storm will no longer receive any major updates, as it looks to sunset the title seven years after its release. The Warcraft developer has been slowing down development on HotS since 2018, when it announced it would be moving some of its developers onto other projects.

Since then, new characters and skins have been added to the game, though there has been little activity since 2020. In an official statement published on Friday, Blizzard said it would no longer make major additions to Heroes of the Storm, treating it similarly to StarCraft and StarCraft II with only rotations and bug patches.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jesus, I spent over 1000 USD on this pos.

Rip

Last edited:

Xyphie

Major development already ended way back. Last major content patch was like 2 years ago, and before that there was only a small trickle of stuff they probably already had in the pipeline before they scaled the team back.

Too bad, was a fun game.

ManaByte

Gold Member
You can tell the people in this thread who really played it and those who never did and are just here to drive by shit post.

The game was a ton of fun, easily one of the best MOBAs.

MiguelItUp

I didn't care for MOBAs, but this was one that actually clicked with me, and I played it a great deal! Of course the development slowed down quite a bit forever ago so it felt like it was already sun downing. But it's still sad to see. Pouring one out!

Curious to see what that team (what's left of them) works on next.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
That's really sad.

I mean, they stopped development on HOTS for a good two years now, but its sad to see it official. Easily the best Dota-like and the only one I had fun playing.

But if they keep the servers running, I can't complain.

Jennings

I played early on and enjoyed it ten billion times more than other dota clones because I always hated the item stores in other games that I felt I had to frantically sort through when upgrading mid-game. But I could have sworn I saw this exact same announcement years ago and I stopped playing the day I did... and never went back. Now I'm gonna have to go back and look and see why I thought they already announced canceling development for HOTS all that time ago.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

It was a great casual comp stomping game with friends. I guess it wasn’t deep enough to attract the hardcore moba players but I’m not one of them and loved it for what it was.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Good riddance.

The few good ideas it had were completely mired in poor design choices, terrible camera angles, poor animations, and a clear lack of care or interest from the company.

killatopak

I know a few people who played it in tandem with League. League is stressful sometimes and HotS is the game they play to take the load off and play for fun.

RIP.

Top Bottom