• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask N64HD Project Release - The Most Important Event of Our Lifetimes

nkarafo

I love MM but this looks like too much effort to make it work and have the desired results. I'm also not a huge fan of ultra detailed textures/resolutions over retro games with very low poly graphics. I prefer a more balanced look. I wouldn't want N64 graphics above 480p.

I would still watch a high quality longplay with all these mods though.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Amazing work but like nkarafo nkarafo above I feel its too much work for me personally and the fact that you can't get even 30fps, let alone 60fps without errors really puts me off emulating N64 titles and just makes me want to wait for an official re-release (which prob wont run at 60fps either but c'est la vie). I know there are good reasons why its difficult to get it running at a higher framerate but still thats how I feel about it.

Generally I think N64 texture mods are not for me anyway, there isn't enough polygonal detail to warrant having more detail in the textures, it creates a bad mismatch imo. Gamecube forward is way better in this regard, especially Wii games, I really loved the Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 texture mods since they didnt change that much but it looked so much better when you flicked back to the original textures, they upscaled with AI where appropriate (ie when it wouldn't look shit, simpler textures that have no fine detail) and outside of that tried to maintain the old texture style but with more micro detail for when you run it at stupidly high resolutions.

d8srt4c-cddceec7-c6a0-4b64-ac8b-9ab8301a2107.png

d8srt3x-8359b0ec-b4be-4562-8cfe-28ee97398694.png
d8srt5m-6ef32bbb-b795-4b51-a411-9b21cf831201.png

It just makes it look like how it looks in my mind anyway, if you don't want it to look super clean like that you can apply FXAA to soften it a bit and that looks good in its own way too.

fart town usa

Gold Member
There have been multiple texture packs for both the 3ds and N64 versions of Majora's Mask. Why is this one special?
I have no idea. Nerrel's might be unique in that I think he did all the work himself? I have no clue though. In the video he says the full pack is like a 5gig download and then uncompresses to like 12gigs. I'm guessing it's 4k or something like that. He goes over a 1080p setting for those who don't have higher resolution capabilities.

Mostly just posted it because it's current and probably something that some Gaf members would be interested in.

Ryu Kaiba

Looks like a great job, wish the video had more before and after examples. but yeah it looks like a pain to set up don't think I'll bother.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I plan on playing Majora's Mask again on the Switch when it arrives later this month. Probably the most thought-provoking adventure game I'll ever play

RaduN

I plan on playing Majora's Mask again on the Switch when it arrives later this month. Probably the most thought-provoking adventure game I'll ever play
If you like mind bending narratives, give Shadow of Destiny (psp/ps2) a try if you haven't. It an amazing adventure game.

Teslerum

Amazing work but like nkarafo nkarafo above I feel its too much work for me personally and the fact that you can't get even 30fps, let alone 60fps without errors really puts me off emulating N64 titles and just makes me want to wait for an official re-release (which prob wont run at 60fps either but c'est la vie). I know there are good reasons why its difficult to get it running at a higher framerate but still thats how I feel about it.
Ocarina of Time (nearly finished) and Majora's Mask (at around 12%) are both being decompiled (and ported), so you won't have to wait that long.

Last edited:

ljubomir

There have been multiple texture packs for both the 3ds and N64 versions of Majora's Mask. Why is this one special?
It's done by a guy that has wast knowledge about original MM and it's mechanics and has a strong opinion in case of preserving the original gameplay and atmosphere. He posted a video a while back explaining why he's dissapointed with Majoras Mask 3D

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Most important thing to me is replaying this or OOT at 60 fps. HD or texture packs are a bonus but I cant go back and replay these games until then. Hopefully the PC decompilation will finally give us real 60 fps.

Top Bottom