• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MakeUseOf: 4 Reasons Why 2023 Will Be the Year of the Xbox Series X|S

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Numbers have been so awful for MS recently that at least you can pretty much guarantee they will be up YoY. I just don’t get it. They must have so many employees at these studios that arent pulling their weight. After a year of no games their big releases are 2 bethesda games and Forza. Yea Forza looks sick but that’s really all you have to show? You have like 30 studios

Venom Snake

phihi-jpg-63eacdbebc5a4.jpg

Numbers have been so awful for MS recently that at least you can pretty much guarantee they will be up YoY. I just don’t get it. They must have so many employees at these studios that arent pulling their weight. After a year of no games their big releases are 2 bethesda games and Forza. Yea Forza looks sick but that’s really all you have to show? You have like 30 studios
Sony’s first party releases for the last 2 years and this year is about 5 AAA games (ratchet, horizon, GT7, Spider-Man and GOW)

MS first party in the same time frame has more AAA games (gears tactics, forza horizon, Halo infinite, age of empires 4, flight simulator, red fall, Star field, and forza motorsport).

If we count AA games it would be returnal vs hi fi rush, grounded, psyconaughts 2 (next gen version) and pentiment

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Ah, so this year is the year, hey?

I'm very happy with my Xbox Series X. But, apart from Starfield and STALKER 2, there isn't much in the pipeline. Game Pass is saving this console, because it's providing me lots of great games I want to play, but many of them are available elsewhere. Microsoft needs to deliver games worth buying a console for. I don't think Redfall is going to do that. Hopefully they've got some surprises in store for the second half of the year.

Ah, so this year is the year, hey?

I'm very happy with my Xbox Series X. But, apart from Starfield and STALKER 2, there isn't much in the pipeline. Game Pass is saving this console, because it's providing me lots of great games I want to play, but many of them are available elsewhere. Microsoft needs to deliver games worth buying a console for. I don't think Redfall is going to do that. Hopefully they've got some surprises in store for the second half of the year.
Sony only has Spider-Man 2 this year from first party.

That's like saying Nintendo only has Zelda. You only need one game when it's a fucking juggernaut. For Microsoft, that used to be Halo - a game worth buying an Xbox to play.
Halo infinite is still popular on Xbox and won goty awards. Despite the lack of “content” release last year. In fact, I don’t think there is a Sony game that stays popular past the first couple months.

Pretty much all one and done games from Sony.

Which is why Sony is now investing into GAAS which is smart.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Halo infinite is still popular on Xbox and won goty awards. Despite the lack of “content” release last year. In fact, I don’t think there is a Sony game that stay popular past the first couple months.

Pretty much all one and done games from Sony
Halo Infinite performed so poorly Microsoft fired the CEO, gutted the leadership, and are rebuilding the entire development studio to try again. And that's after ten years of running Halo into the ground. Comparing Halo Infinite to the potential of a full-blown, next-gen only Spider-Man 2 is just silly. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is going to fucking clown Halo Infinite. Sony and Nintendo has worked hard to foster their brands into massive IPs whose releases are major events. As a result, when a new Zelda lands or a new God of War lands, they sell oodles of consoles. With the exception of Forza, Microsoft let their mainline IPs rot. A new Gears of War? Cool, I guess. A new Halo? Sure, whatever. There's a reason they're spending USD$70b to get more IP for Xbox. This is why I'm not sure "this is the year". Starfield might be everything it needs to be - but that is very tall order.

Halo Infinite performed so poorly Microsoft fired the CEO, gutted the leadership, and are rebuilding the entire development studio to try again. And that's after ten years of running Halo into the ground. Comparing Halo Infinite to the potential of a full-blown, next-gen only Spider-Man 2 is just silly. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is going to fucking clown Halo Infinite. Sony and Nintendo has worked hard to foster their brands into massive IPs whose releases are major events. As a result, when a new Zelda lands or a new God of War lands, they sell oodles of consoles. With the exception of Forza, Microsoft let their mainline IPs rot. A new Gears of War? Cool, I guess. A new Halo? Sure, whatever. There's a reason they're spending USD$70b to get more IP for Xbox. This is why I'm not sure "this is the year". Starfield might be everything it needs to be - but that is very tall order.
Halo infinite didn’t perform poorly in sales or reception and actually a very popular game even when it’s been over 1 year since it released (around top 15 on Xbox). That is with the lack of content release.

The ceo Bonnie Ross was let go because lack of additional content release for mp and terrible management skills. In fact , she needed help to get the game released to begin with. I forgot the guy’s name but he came in and saved the game and got it released in 2021 despite all odds.

The game is still popular and god of war will drop in relevancy in the next few months since it doesn’t have anything to keep people coming back.

Starfield is a new ip from Todd Howard who created elder scrolls and fallout. Much bigger and has a lot more content than any of his previous titles. Also, it is next gen only just like forza motorsport and red fall.

MS games have online, modding , and lot more to do than Spider-Man and legend of Zelda. You can finish Sony and Nintendo games in a couple weeks and nothing else to keep you coming back.

Last edited:

I want to put a chat bubble on everyone, just for the shits and giggles...

Left dude: Upper limit reached, I cannot go higher.

Middle dude/Greenberg: "I live for this shit" - Vin Diesel

Right dude: influencer NDA says I'm getting paid BABEEEE!

We should run a comp. I'll gift a month of gold for the winner. Then I want a blue one and a red one too.

Raonak

Banned
Sony’s first party releases for the last 2 years and this year is about 5 AAA games (ratchet, horizon, GT7, Spider-Man and GOW)

MS first party in the same time frame has more AAA games (gears tactics, forza horizon, Halo infinite, age of empires 4, flight simulator, red fall, Star field, and forza motorsport).

If we count AA games it would be returnal vs hi fi rush, grounded, psyconaughts 2 (next gen version) and pentiment

It's about Quality. Not Quantity.

Sony exclusives just hit at a much higher level because of the insane level of polish.
Even if they are just "one and done" single player games, they stick around longer in the public consciousness.

It's about Quality. Not Quantity.

Sony exclusives just hit at a much higher level because of the insane level of polish.
Even if they are just "one and done" single player games, they stick around longer in the public consciousness.

Apparently not because I checked the top 20 games being played on playstation and seems GOW:R is the only game that is still top 20. Nobody is playing ratchet or horizon anymore.

And I'm not being bias because hi-fi rush and hell blade 2 will be in the same exact situation. Single player games doesn't keep the player engage enough for 6 + months. The only exceptions will be games like the witcher and bethesda RPGs because they have hundreds of hours of gameplay, dlc/content and modding community.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Halo infinite didn’t perform poorly...
Halo Infinite missed every target, every deadline. That it's hovering amongst the Xbox's Top 20 doesn't mean much when it was expected to carry the entire platform. Halo Infinite failed. Dress it up however you want.

...and god of war will drop in relevancy in the next few months since it doesn’t have anything to keep people coming back.
Every game drops in relevancy. The issue is what kind of relevancy did it have before it fades away. God of War captured the attention of gamers around the world. Halo Infinite just reminded everyone that 343i is the worst developer in the industry. God of War moved millions of PlayStations, Halo Infinite got #Fire343 trending on social media.

...MS games have online, modding , and lot more to do than Spider-Man and legend of Zelda. You can finish Sony and Nintendo games in a couple weeks and nothing else to keep you coming back.
Which game from Microsoft would you point to as their best game for the current generation under these metrics? Forza Horizon 5 is probably the one I'd pick. It was a solid game and did good business. A+. And it's nowhere close to the impact of Zelda when is firing on all cylinders. That's Microsoft's problem: they let their IPs rot.

Raonak

Banned
Apparently not because I checked the top 20 games being played on playstation and seems GOW:R is the only game that is still top 20. Nobody is playing ratchet or horizon anymore.

And I'm not being bias because hi-fi rush and hell blade 2 will be in the same exact situation. Single player games doesn't keep the player engage enough for 6 + months. The only exceptions will be games like the witcher and bethesda RPGs because they have hundreds of hours of gameplay, dlc/content and modding community.
Great job! you missed my point entirely.

A game being played 6+ months after release doesn't mean anything about it's quality.
There's countless of grindy GAAS garbage that is endlessly played but aren't in the public consciousness because no-one is really excited about them.

Sony's 12 hours long games create far more excitement than games that engage players for 6+ months.
Because the quality is far more.
The devs can focus on making an amazing experience that you play through once rather than a middling experience that will keep you grinding for months.
These high quality games create more hype for the platform, and keep people looking forward to the next big release.

Great job! you missed my point entirely.

A game being played 6+ months after release doesn't mean anything about it's quality.
There's countless of grindy GAAS garbage that is endlessly played but aren't in the public consciousness because no-one is really excited about them.

Sony's 12 hours long games create far more excitement than games that engage players for 6+ months.
Because the quality is far more.
The devs can focus on making an amazing experience that you play through once rather than a middling experience that will keep you grinding for months.
These high quality games create more hype for the platform, and keep people looking forward to the next big release.
What? Do you really think because a game is GAAS it can't create excitement? Let me tell you something bucko, there was nothing more excited than the time I played sea of thieves and sunked someone's ship and stole all of their treasures while having a lot on the line. I wasn't interacting with some scripted AI, I was playing against real people who are more dynamic and think on the fly.

Working with a team to over come a challenges is exciting and creates more memories than most single players son.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
What? Do you really think because a game is GAAS it can't create excitement? Let me tell you something bucko, there was nothing more excited than the time I played sea of thieves and sunked someone's ship and stole all of their treasures while having a lot on the line. I wasn't interacting with some scripted AI, I was playing against real people who are more dynamic and think on the fly.

Working with a team to over come a challenges is exciting and creates more memories than most single players son.

Sales numbers and public mindshare disagree, but hey that's just me :p

quest

Not Banned from OT

Don't worry when Sony's gaas games start to release the goal posts will shift again.

Halo Infinite missed every target, every deadline. That it's hovering amongst the Xbox's Top 20 doesn't mean much when it was expected to carry the entire platform. Halo Infinite failed. Dress it up however you want.

Every game drops in relevancy. The issue is what kind of relevancy did it have before it fades away. God of War captured the attention of gamers around the world. Halo Infinite just reminded everyone that 343i is the worst developer in the industry. God of War moved millions of PlayStations, Halo Infinite got #Fire343 trending on social media.

Which game from Microsoft would you point to as their best game for the current generation under these metrics? Forza Horizon 5 is probably the one I'd pick. It was a solid game and did good business. A+. And it's nowhere close to the impact of Zelda when is firing on all cylinders. That's Microsoft's problem: they let their IPs rot.

1. If being in top 20 is dead I guess all Sony first party games are pretty much dead huh. It might've missed targets but still ended up being a popular game. Not to mention it can still gain more popularity with content releases. Just look at how sea of theives started and became more popular. Also, how come I can jump into a game in less than a few minutes if it was dead?

2. Yet Halo Infinite won game of the year awards and still played while god of war raganrok won't be played for much longer and be a faded memory just like most single player one and done games.

3. Forza Horizon 5 is still popular after a year, lets see if God of war can do the same. Probably not.

Don't worry when Sony's gaas games start to release the goal posts will shift again.
I can't wait for Sony's GAAS. Getting somewhat tired of their movie wanna be games. Give me twisted metal, Socom, warhawk and maybe if we are lucky we will get Resistance!

Raonak

Banned
I can't wait for Sony's GAAS. Getting somewhat tired of their movie wanna be games. Give me twisted metal, Socom, warhawk and maybe if we are lucky we will get Resistance!
For sure, I can't wait to see the quality of their GAAS games far exceed their competition.
Another nail in the coffin.

nial

Gold Member

Nov 2020-Nov 2022 is definitely not the same timeframe as Nov 2020-late 2023, lol; one in which Sony will have already released Horizon VR, Firewall Ultra, Stellar Blade and Spider-Man 2, by the way.
It would be Astro's Playroom, Sackboy, Destruction AllStars (despite it not being good), Returnal and GOT Legends versus all of those, though.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The line that GamePass is somehow a difference maker seems a bit suspect to me considering PS+ is a cheaper subscription service.

Yeah sure, Gamepass gets first-party and selected new games day#1, but its not likely all the big games in any given year and I highly doubt most subscribers won't consider buying at least one title outside the service. So the actual savings offered isn't entirely obvious.

Most importantly I don't see it being much of a draw in territories where Xbox isn't already competitive.

Nov 2020-Nov 2022 is definitely not the same timeframe as Nov 2020-late 2023, lol; one in which Sony will have already released Horizon VR, Firewall Ultra, Stellar Blade and Spider-Man 2, by the way.
It would be Astro's Playroom, Sackboy, Destruction AllStars (despite it not being good), Returnal and GOT Legends versus all of those, though.
Astro is a demo, horizon /firewall ultra is vr, got legends is an addon/dlc and stellar blade looks meh. Glad you mention other games are bad. I didn’t mention other Xbox games as well that doesn’t look good.

nial

Gold Member

ZehDon

Gold Member
1. If being in top 20 is dead I guess all Sony first party games are pretty much dead huh...
The idea of referring to single player offline games as "dead" is the laughable opinion of a twelve year old. You're comparing Microsoft's online live service games to Sony's offline single player games. Even ignoring that, you're still hilariously wrong. Halo Infinite - Microsoft's big online free to play shooter - has only 700 more people playing than God of War, and about 1,000 more people than Horizon: Zero Dawn. So, Sony's offline single player only games are neck and neck with Microsoft's big free to play shooter from its biggest IP.

The idea of referring to single player offline games as "dead" is the laughable opinion of a twelve year old. You're comparing Microsoft's online live service games to Sony's offline single player games. Even ignoring that, you're still hilariously wrong. Halo Infinite - Microsoft's big online free to play shooter - has only 700 more people playing than God of War, and about 1,000 more people than Horizon: Zero Dawn. So, Sony's offline single player only games are neck and neck with Microsoft's big free to play shooter from its biggest IP.

LOL are you referring to steam? Halo Infinite is an xbox centric game and tops the charts on xbox. Not to mention Halo infinite is also on windows store where game pass is.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
LOL are you referring to steam? Halo Infinite is an xbox centric game and tops the charts on xbox. Not to mention Halo infinite is also on windows store where game pass is.
And Sony's games are PlayStation centric games. Steam is the largest PC gaming platform in the world, so it's a perfectly valid comparison. And Halo Infinite doesn't "top the charts". Not on Xbox, not on Steam, not anywhere.

Robb

Gold Member
I mean, it can’t be worse than 2022. They’re off to a great start with Hi-Fi Rush, hopefully they can keep momentum going.

Kikorin

Kinect 3 - the revenge will going to save the day yet again.

Joke aside, I think the solution in the console space to be successful is always pretty simple, release good games at a steady pace. You may not like it, but is the main reason for success, all the rest can help, but is not going to fix that single point.

Fredrik

I mean, it can’t be worse than 2022. They’re off to a great start with Hi-Fi Rush, hopefully they can keep momentum going.
Great game but just like with High in Life they failed to take advantage of the popularity and it never reached out of their bubble.
They need something big that the mainstream gamers actually want. Like Playstation when they secured the Hogwarts marketing, it’s going to steamroll everything MS have planned this year.

mrmustard

Banned
I think the best chance for Xbox to have a good year is the year all the third party devs stop making games for PS4 and Xbox One. Then the casuals need a new console for their Call of Duty, Battlefield, 2k games, EA games etc. and can choose between a 200 Euros Series S and a 400-500 Euros PS5/XSX.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Robb

Gold Member
They need something big that the mainstream gamers actually want. Like Playstation when they secured the Hogwarts marketing, it’s going to steamroll everything MS have planned this year.
Maybe, but Sony and MS strategies seem very different to me. From what I can tell Sony primarily wants to sell systems while MS primarily wants to sell subscriptions.

What MS need is more GamePass content to grow subscribers. I don’t think having marketing rights for Hogwarts would necessarily mean large GamePass growth, what they would’ve needed is to have Hogwarts on GamePass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom