• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making of - Alien: Isolation [Behind the Scenes]

MarlboroRed

Loved it. It was a bit too long for my taste, but a game being too long is such a silly complaint to have I can't even hold it against it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
oh, how to make a 4 hour game into 20 hours of repetitive minigames, opening doors and enabling power generators over and over and over again ?
Or the hiding under the table part of the game and waiting?
The game is well done but Alien is not scary, we all know it, waiting is not scary, enabling generators is tedious...
Really, I finished the game. First 4 hours are great... but then it's the same for next 16 hours or so. And You wait and wait until alien passes by

Since I cannot explain myself properly, here is a review that shares my opinion. Imo game is very overrated

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
oh, how to make a 4 hour game into 20 hours of repetitive minigames, opening doors and enabling power generators over and over and over again ?
Or the hiding under the table part of the game and waiting?
The game is well done but Alien is not scary, we all know it, waiting is not scary, enabling generators is tedious...
Really, I finished the game. First 4 hours are great... but then it's the same for next 16 hours or so. And You wait and wait until alien passes by

Since I cannot explain myself properly, here is a review that shares my opinion. Imo game is very overrated

But the first 4 hours aren't "great"... because the Alien is only really let off the leash a few hours in, during mission 5 i.e. the medlabs. Until then, it's just standard scripted stuff (i.e. including following Axel) which is just meant to set the tone & overall atmosphere. Once you reach the medlabs though... the intensity hits the fan (especially on hard difficulty). I don't understand the complaints about its length either, i.e. it's IMO part of its oppressive charm because just when you think it's getting towards the end (& safety), kaboom, Ripley is thrown right back into an impossible situation.

It does need a remaster on next gen though, with 60 fps & improved anti-aliasing. Sevastopol deserves it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But the first 4 hours aren't "great"... because the Alien is only really let off the leash a few hours in, during mission 5 i.e. the medlabs. Until then, it's just standard scripted stuff (i.e. including following Axel) which is just meant to set the tone & overall atmosphere. Once you reach the medlabs though... the intensity hits the fan (especially on hard difficulty). I don't understand the complaints about its length either, i.e. it's IMO part of its oppressive charm because just when you think it's getting towards the end (& safety), kaboom, Ripley is thrown right back into an impossible situation.

It does need a remaster on next gen though, with 60 fps & improved anti-aliasing. Sevastopol deserves it.
By great I mean the atmosphere and world building more than anything.
When Alien is set "loose" it's just annoying. Makes You wait in lockers and under the table all the time. He exits the room and then randomly can COME back inside and You have to wait again. Just... bad

ruvikx

Banned
By great I mean the atmosphere and world building more than anything.
When Alien is set "loose" it's just annoying. Makes You wait in lockers and under the table all the time. He exits the room and then randomly can COME back inside and You have to wait again. Just... bad

I can see why some people might think that (I rage quit myself a couple of times), but there's a mission about half way through (no spoilers) where Ripley & the Xeno have a final showdown of sorts in a small confined area. I did my usual hiding in lockers routine but it started just opening them because it realized that's what I'd been doing.

So I had to hide in the vents below the floor whilst it stomped around above checking the lockers, literally crapping myself because I was totally exposed. But that habit of hiding in the lockers paid-off because the creature learned the trick, and was then "tricked" by my change of tactic (whereas it had previously been hopping in & out of the vents instead).

It's just small little details like that which were super exciting when they came together properly.

apowhungo

played this game only at night for some reason, it legit gave me anxiety and nightmares, which is kinda what i was asking for. really amazing game. if this was in vr i'd probably be in a mental institution.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Goes on too long and the stealth transition from Alien to Aliens was seriously annoying. A shorter and tighter game would have been appreciated but it came out in a time when forced MP was still a thing to warrant a £40/$60 price tag so they made it as long as possible to justify it.

They nailed the entire feel and atmosphere of the universe but the narrative and length just killed the game for me.

Top Bottom