• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making of - Killzone 2 [Behind the Scenes]

Rykan

So what's the procedure to become a playtester? Or qualifications requirements?
It's probably worth noting that a Playtester is not like a QA employee. Basically, they ask you to come to the Dev studio and play through a build of the game. I just checked and the playtest was in October of 2008, so about 5 months before the game came out.

Getting in was fairly easy: They made a post asking for playtesters on their official forums (Could have been the website, I'm not sure) and asked for your top 5 favorite games. I send the message and I was in.

I was invited to their (previous) office in Amsterdam and played through the game in 3 days. They actually keep track of every single stat in the game. Afterwards, there's a 1 on 1 interview about your experience with the game, what you thought of it, followed by a group discussion with the other playtesters.

Developers were actually in another room watching our progress. We heard cheers when the first players beat the game.

I like to believe some of my feedback made it in: There was no ammo restock at the weapon racks in the build I played, so the gun you start with (the M82 Assault rifle) was fairly useless because it quickly ran out of ammo and you had to get the Helgan gun instead. I was glad that they changed this in the final release.

Also, we got pizza.

RCU005

I miss when developers would go into selling you on the technical shit instead of new and shiny graphics. Let the presentation and gameplay speak for itself. Nice music track over the video interview, btw.

PS3 focused a lot in the CPU side. Destructive environment, AI, Physics, etc. Remember when everyone was asking for damage in GT cars? And now I guess nobody cares.

With PS5 is al about “Ray-Tracing” (which can’t even be done properly), 60fps (no matter the games look like PS2 games).

Top Bottom