• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making sense of Xbox DRM and Physical Media | MVG

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParaSeoul

1VTZQle.png

dare GIF

ReBurn

Gold Member
It was an interesting video. For third party titles I wonder who makes the decision about which version goes on disc for smart delivery titles? It's good to see that Series-only discs can be played offline. Seems like they could enable whatever Xbox One build is on disc to play as-is.

Kilau

Download games work like any other system as far as I know.

The issue really seems to be with disc games being incomplete and or needing an online activation?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Smart delivery games not working is kind of odd, I understand that it comes with the lowest version of the game, but why doesn't it work through BC? Do xbox one titles also need to download a BC profile in order to work?
I guess this could've been fixed by just including the profile on the disc? It seems that's what the Balan Wonderworld disc is doing, because it doesn't show the X|S badge on the game tile either.

Though basically once games stop releasing on the xbox one, it immediately stops being an issue.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I hate their current state of DRM. If you lose connection, the game quits. I would like for digital games to know that they have checked your digital license a week ago or something to where I can play a gamepass game even if I have disconnected.

Topher

Gold Member
It was an interesting video. For third party titles I wonder who makes the decision about which version goes on disc for smart delivery titles? It's good to see that Series-only discs can be played offline. Seems like they could enable whatever Xbox One build is on disc to play as-is.

Really was pretty good video. Doesn't really effect me personally as I'm on XSX primarily for Game Pass and my consoles are always connected. Doesn't seem to be an issue long term either way.

Last edited:

SomeGit

Smart delivery games not working is kind of odd, I understand that it comes with the lowest version of the game, but why doesn't it work through BC? Do xbox one titles also need to download a BC profile in order to work?
I guess this could've been fixed by just including the profile on the disc? It seems that's what the Balan Wonderworld disc is doing, because it doesn't show the X|S badge on the game tile either.

Though basically once games stop releasing on the xbox one, it immediately stops being an issue.T
They need the BC profile to work, yes. That’s the reason it won’t boot, it’s such a small file that it a wonder why they don’t include it the firmware to begin with, or at the very least have a generic profile.

I can’t emphasize how small the needed file is, when you do connect online, it’s a blink it and you’ll miss it download. And of course, they’ll work fine in an Xbox One.

Balan, likely has both builds on the disk, I can verify that some small sized games like Hades do include both builds on the disk. So they are playable offline on both Xbox One and Xbox Series X. That’s my guess for Balan.

Leyasu

Banned
Doesn't designating your "home console" solve this problem?
It does, but I have been blocked before when my internet went down. But, I later learned that if you have your account on another console, you can have problems. I don’t know if it is true or not. Although I couldn’t play any games.

Again, that was a couple of years ago and I wasn’t affected by the recent outages. So I don’t know lol

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Out of curiosity I did the exact same test for Quake and it works offline (the GamePass version).

Don’t know what this guy is doing honestly.

Topher

Gold Member
It does, but I have been blocked before when my internet went down. But, I later learned that if you have your account on another console, you can have problems. I don’t if it is true or not. Although I couldn’t play any games.

Again, that was a couple of years ago and I wasn’t affected by the recent outages.

They should have a way for other consoles to check in with the home console in the case of server outage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom