• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Males of Gaf, would you ever donate your sperm?

Nowise10

I was driving back home from the gym today listening to the radio, and an advertisement came one asking if you were a guy in your twenties with some college experience, this donation center would give you a thousand dollars for your sperm donation. I'm 20, and just finished sophomore year of college, and am flat out broke so I was about to get the lotion out from the glove department. I mean, how incredibly easy money is that? Just go to the donation center, fill out some paperwork and give them my juice. But then I started thinking

My semen would be going to a women who will probably use it to get pregnant, which means I would have a child that is technically mine, but being raised by strangers I would likely never know. I would be a father with living DNA even though i've never had sex, which distraught me behind the wheel so I stopped thinking about it. But I couldn't stop thinking about it. I mean could I live with myself with that thought? Could I live the rest of my youth knowing my semen impregnated a women who I know nothing about? What happens if the child shows up on my doorstep in 20 years when i'm an old man because he wanted to meet his biological father, how would I react? What would I spend the money on? What is the likelihood of this child turning out more successful then me?

PsTuCcm.gif

I think my semen would be a decent candidate for people but I probably couldn't ever do it because those all those thoughts scared me. Do sperm donors not care about these? I don't know what type of mindset they have.

entremet

How tall and good looking are you?

Apparently some have height requirements. Welcome to the cold reality as only being seen for your genetic potential!

Personally? Not sure.

Kayhan

Taller than 6 feet. Has STEM PhD. Good looking.

COME AND GET IT LADIES

Not paying for 18 years. Sign these papers.

All day every day.

It's not like there's some psychic link between you and a child created with your sperm. 0 reason to care who they turn out to be.

If you don't want to, don't. But that kid will never show up on your doorstep so that should not be a concern. You'll be helping someone who wants to be a mother bring life into the world. In all likelihood it will be a good life. You'll never know of course, but that's for the best.

I don't think I would have when I was 20. But who knows.

Never have done it but if was back in my 20's, I would do it, no problem.

That kid may have half of my DNA, but that does not make me their father. I view it similar to adoption. The parents are the ones who are there to raise the child.

cwmartin

I've had my semen tested for fertility reasons. The process is real awkward, but I don't really see a huge moral issue with it. Even if your sperm was used or not used, you would never be told.

Assuming this is for fertility clinics or for the purpose of pregnancy. It is possible your sperm would be used for other research purposes.

cyress8

Banned
Get that money. Would be there at the crack of dawn, pre-cumming, if they would give me a $1000. Wish I was young again. :(

This seems like a "never say never" scenario. Currently I would say no. When I was broke and in college, maybe, but I had some help during those years so it wasn't needed. If I was currently broke and in major need of cash, Yes.

Nowise10

Am I correct in assuming you don't get to know anything about who gets your sperm? I feel like that is the biggest deterrent.

Akainu

My semen would be going to a women who will probably use it to get pregnant, which means I would have a child that is technically mine, but being raised by strangers I would likely never know.
Probably? I would hope thats what it's being used for.

Spenny

I have. I only made about $700 dollars a month though. There's a lot of things that play into what you make or if they accept your sperm at all. I'm white, tall, moderately attractive, and have a desirable eye color so I was good to go. Now that I have a degree I would probably make even more.

No - you might be putting yourself into a real mess with the law as in some countries being donor doesn't save you from being treated as father of the child for all legal purposes.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
As the only heir that could pass on the family name, I made my decision a while back. Told the family that the lineage dies with me.
No, I will not donate my sperm.

Spenny

In all seriousness, what does something like this pay?
It all depends on your genetics. Are you a minority, fat, short (under 6ft), or a ginger? If so, don't bother setting a foot into the center. From there you get pay increases depending on your education (PhDs make the big bucks), hair & eye color, and overall fitness. They pretty much treat you like a piece of meat.

Most people won't be making the $1000 dollars that centers advertise. I think the average is $300-$500 a month.

Top Bottom