• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maneater PS5 and Xbox Series X Update Adds Ray Tracing

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In addition to Ray Tracing, several issues for HDR on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X have been resolved including an issue with the background on the pause screen not blurring and the intro movies being darker than normal. Several performance enhancements and adjustments have been made for menus, gore, and animal life. Aside from that, there was a bevy of updates for miscellaneous issues. Full details can be found in the patch notes link below.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I just deleted this this the other day to make room for something else.

Guess I'll have to reinstall.

Duchess

I dont see any different.
Seems it's been mostly applied to the surface of the water. It's minor and looks good, but it's not worth the frame rate hit, in my opinon.

Also, is this game good? Seems to have an okay reception?

Edit: just had a look on Amazon to find this as a physical release, and I'm getting results for Nelly Furtado, and Hall & Oates ... 🤔

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Seems it's been mostly applied to the surface of the water. It's minor and looks good, but it's not worth the frame rate hit, in my opinon.

Also, is this game good? Seems to have an okay reception?

Edit: just had a look on Amazon to find this as a physical release, and I'm getting results for Nelly Furtado, and Hall & Oates ... 🤔
I never played the game, yea I heard some good things about it.

Too many backlogs...

Stuart360

Yeah, but ray tracing for what? Shadows, reflections? Ambient occlusion? Global illumination? Audio?
As we have seen on this forum, 'Ray Tracing' is such a couple of buzz words that they dont even need to say what its actually doing, just saying it is enough to get some gamers on board, even though they probably wouldnt even know if it had RT or not just by looking at the game.

hlm666

Yeah, but ray tracing for what? Shadows, reflections? Ambient occlusion? Global illumination? Audio?
When they talked about this ages ago it was supposed to be something with raytraced light refraction improving the lighting and shadows on the player shark under water. I've got no idea if that's what they have gone with but if people can't work out what is actually being traced I'm guessing it may still be that.

edit: just watched the video, seems to be RT reflections, I can see the shark reflected when close to the surface and airborne and the sky has some kind of reflection and maybe refraction when close to the surface. Enemy boats, humans and other fish didn't seem to be effected and none of the footage i saw had seaweed or other vegetation close enough to the surface to see if that was included. So seems RT Reflection for select objects on the water surface at close distances.

Last edited:

Concern

Uninstalled awhile ago. Got repetitive and boring for me. Really liked the idea but execution was poor imo.

They spent too much time eating hairy legs I'm afraid.

family guy shark GIF

Da na

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
RT is just waste of processing power. Looks cool the first 5 min then you forget about it. It adds nothing to the overall experience. 60fps all day everyday.

Also Maneater is legit. Good game 👍

Last edited:

Skifi28

When I tried it on PS5 a few months ago, performance was more like 45fps rather than 60. Locked at 30 it'll probably be much more enjoyable.

Kuranghi

When I tried it on PS5 a few months ago, performance was more like 45fps rather than 60. Locked at 30 it'll probably be much more enjoyable.

It just feels like that imo, even when you have average 90fps on PC you get frametime spikes (from loading or real-time shader compile? I dunno, its UE though) and drops below 60 when you make a lot of alpha effects happen, ie explosions and water splashes, the latter happening often ofc.

I just put up with it after a bit since its locked to 60 95% of the time and I'd need to go down to 1440p60 from 4K60 or 4K30 from 4K60 to fully fix them. Just not well optimised imo.

This RT update actually fixes that it seems since there is a big overhead and its locked to 30 now, but its much less fun to play at 60fps since the animations are really fast.

Top Bottom