• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marathon 1-3 updated and available for FREE!

wwm0nkey

From bungie.net:

Happy Holidays from the Aleph One development community.

You might not have your head wrapped around the Holiday Season just yet, but the Aleph One development community is ready to drop some season's greetings on your unaware, slack-jawed face! Out of nowhere, they've just announced a new version of the Aleph One engine that not only makes playing Marathon a breeze on Mac, Windows, and Linux platforms, but also brings it up to date with the most modern bells and whistles.

Read on for the full press release, and hit the link below to travel back in time to a distant future where space-docking was novel, rampancy was in its infancy, and the only good Bob was a dead Bob.

Bungie's Marathon, Marathon 2: Durandal and Marathon Infinity; polished, packaged and ready for download with the brand new Aleph One 1.0 engine.

December 1, 2011 - The Aleph One development community is thrilled to release version 1.0 of the Aleph One game engine. Since the release of the Marathon 2 source code, the team has worked diligently to deliver a cross platform game engine capable of bringing the classic Marathon games, as well as fan-made modifications to the modern Mac, Windows PC and Linux platforms.

Aleph One, an open source project, enhances Bungie's original Marathon games with modern OpenGL shader support, Internet co-op and multiplayer, modern mouse-look and gamepad support and plugin support for modifications.

To celebrate the 12 year development of Aleph One, the original Marathon games have been upgraded to take advantage of the new engine features.

Marathon has been updated with a modern HUD, high resolution graphics as well as extensive changes to the scenario to create the most authentic Marathon experience since 1994.
Marathon 2: Durandal has been updated with the high resolution graphics previously only available for the Xbox LIVE Arcade game.
Marathon Infinity has been updated with high resolution graphics.

All three games can be downloaded for free!

http://marathon.sourceforge.net/

The amount of hours of likely good times there are to be had with these 3 things listed and the 6 highest-reckoned fan module things is just....staggering.

I wonder what will happen now though with it hitting 1.0 and all---is it the end with all going on to other projects or is some other crazy thing brewing...?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I played the hell out of a Marathon Infinity demo from some Mac Magazine CD. Time to see the rest of it.

Syril

So do these actually take place in the same universe as Halo, or does Halo just reference it a bunch.

Interesting. I was just considering buying some old school FPS that I would be able to play on my netbook the other day. Looks like this might be a nice fit, I was always interested in these guys.

Lopson

Neo Member
Man, this is way better than what it used to be. Aleph One was a clunky mess of a port, it feels like a totally different project. I just wish those guys who were porting Pathways into Darkness into Aleph One would finish the project.

Blizzard

Banned
This is awesome. I've been interested in the Halo story, and I think I played part of ONE Marathon game, so it is neat to be able to play all 3.

Askani

Can't get it for awhile today. Would like to see some screenshots of the differences but I can't find any yet either. Curses!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Wish more companies would do this with their old games.

Deadbeat

Banned
Sucks they didnt transfer the higher res sprites and weapons from xblive marathon 2 remake to marathon 1 and 3. M1 is the best one anyways, but M3 had the most memorable quote.

Back in the day the company I worked for used to host the Marathon website. We received free copies of the games and would play for countless hours. First time I ever played a game in a LAN setting. So much fun was had.

Lopson

Neo Member
My 2 cents:

1. Mouse look is really weird, something about it still feels off;
2. It's stupid that there's no FOV option in the menu screen;
3. I shouldn't have to exit gameplay to change settings. Why can't I do it while the game is running?;
4. Vertical auto-aim, please, so that I can turn off mouse look.

It's, otherwise, a great way to play these games. However, if you want to play them in their purest of forms, you can always download Sheepshaver and get them to run there.

ascii42

They took the upgraded graphics from xblive and dumped it on marathon 2? Sweet.
The Aleph One project has actually been around for years. I think they started work on it pretty much immediately after Bungie released the source for Marathon 2 back in 1999. Glad to see it finally hit 1.0.

Sucks they didnt transfer the higher res sprites and weapons from xblive marathon 2 remake to marathon 1 and 3. M1 is the best one anyways, but M3 had the most memorable quote.
There are high resolution texture packs floating around on the internet. Last I saw they up to 1024 x 1024.

Having grown up on a strict diet of Macs, I naturally played the shit out of the Marathon trilogy and an equal amount of time making my own maps in Forge.
I'll have to check out the new release when i get back from holidays :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've never been too fond of Marathon (Doom for lyfe!), but I guess I'll attempt another playthrough before raging about the lack of ammo and having to punch everything again. Good to see them bring the HD stuff that Marathon 2 XBLA got to PC/Mac though.

Edit: Though, I would love Bungie if they did a remake/source-port (hahahaha, unlikely given the age) of Pathways into Darkness. Enjoyed that a lot more in Mac Classic mode than I did Marathon.

Thanks for the heads up wwm0nkey.

Does Marathon gets really dark when using OpenGL(Shader) for any of you? Even with the brightness on maximum, some places/walls are pitch black.

p.s. Turning mouse acceleration off and adjusting with the sensibilities worked for me.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I still have no idea what Marathon Infinity was actually about. Lots of recursive timelines, some kind of universe eating super-being, working for the bad guys and other assorted shenanigans. Hard as balls too.

Question: did they finally get rid of the stupid Pathways into Darkness bit at the beginning of M1A1?

And yeah, the mouse support has always been terrible in A1. Since I can't get my 360 pad working I go old school and use the keyboard only. :)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Looks like they did.
Awesome, they did indeed. I am happy. This release is infinitely more polished than what I played several years ago. Still can't get the triggers on my 360 pad to register though. Looks like I'm gonna keep keyboarding it up.

Top Bottom