• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marcus Luttrell's Savior, Mohammad Gulab, Claims 'Lone Survivor' Got It Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Too long to copy/paste most of it. But basically Marcus, the Navy SEAL that the Afghan Gulab saved, turned against Gulab and used him as a prop to promote his movie that he made bank of. After the movie, Marcus reneged on his promise to help him get a green card and ditched him completely. How do people like this live with themselves?

Here are some snippets:

The battle, Gulab claims, was short-lived. He wasn't on the mountain with Luttrell but says everyone in the village could hear the gunfire. Gulab scoffs at the estimate by Naval Special Warfare Command that 35 Taliban died in the battle. (A Navy spokesman declined to comment on the matter.) But the Afghan claims the villagers and American military personnel who combed the mountain for the bodies of the dead SEALs never found any enemy corpses. (Andrew MacMannis, a former Marine Colonel who helped draw up the mission and was on scene during the search and recovery effort for the dead SEALs and other military personnel, says there were no reports of any enemy casualties.)

More puzzling: While Luttrell wrote that he fired round after round during the battle, Gulab says the former SEAL still had 11 magazines of ammunition when the villagers rescued him—all that he had brought on the mission.

"[Luttrell's claims] are exaggerated nonsense," says Patrick Kinser, a former Marine infantry officer who participated in Operation Red Wings and read the former SEAL's after action report. "I've been at the location where he was ambushed multiple times. I've had Marines wounded there. I've been in enough firefights to know that when shit hits the fan, it's hard to know how many people are shooting at you. [But] there weren't 35 enemy fighters in all of the Korengal Valley [that day]."

CloudNull

Banned
This is a shit post and you should feel bad. Article states multiple times that they tried to get Gulab a green card multiple times before the film yet he declined.

Sucks that the relationship went south but it’s not my place to know what happened.

As for Luttrell lieing about what happened, I wouldn’t be surprised. I doubt he outright lied but I am sure his point of view was not 100% accurate.

None of this matter as the dude went back to serve his country after watching 3 of his best friends die all while getting himself shot to shit. Luttrell deserves our respect and calling him a peace of shit is a bit far.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Can we just talk about Operation Red Wings, and the trolling intent behind its choice?
Leonardo Dicaprio Eyebrows GIF

This is a shit post and you should feel bad. Article states multiple times that they tried to get Gulab a green card multiple times before the film yet he declined.

Sucks that the relationship went south but it’s not my place to know what happened.

As for Luttrell lieing about what happened, I wouldn’t be surprised. I doubt he outright lied but I am sure his point of view was not 100% accurate.

None of this matter as the dude went back to serve his country after watching 3 of his best friends die all while getting himself shot to shit. Luttrell deserves our respect and calling him a peace of shit is a bit far.

Well, they claimed to be willing to help. Considering he didn't help afterwards, I have doubts on whether he'd follow through. And I have even more doubts on whether it was for an altruistic purpose rather than a selfish one to goad him into helping his movie and agreeing with his story. I don't see how this is a shit post, besides the fact that you don't like the article.

My main problem with what happened is that it is established that Marcus turned against Gulab, a man that risked his life and that of his family to save Marcus. He literally had to get out of his country to escape the Taliban. So yes I agree perhaps I shouldn't have made such strong accusations, but it does seem that Marcus betrayed the man who saved his life.

Like I said, I really did want the story to be true. I was personally heartbroken when I realize Marcus most likely fabricated the story AND turned against his savior.

I require two sides to stories like this.

When a former infantry soldier that participated in the operation agrees that the story of Marcus was fantastical, I'm willing to feel that is both sides being told.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom