• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Margaret Thatcher Returns In New Doom Mod Thatcher's Techbase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet Club

Margaret Thatcher Returns In New Doom Mod Thatcher's Techbase

6CWhmon.jpg

The Iron Sights Lady

If Margaret Thatcher were to return from the dead, what would she do? Run for Conservative party leader again? Start up her own party? Build a techbase and rise up to conquer the UK and then the world? OG Doom mod Thatcher's Techbase focuses on only one of these options, and it's not the first two.

What is Thatcher's Techbase all about?​

As the rather delightful opening screed of Thatcher's Techbase reads, the mod begins with a "mysterious broadcast, a threat of revenge" heard in the voice of the late UK Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. You must head to the United Kingdom - here cheekily referred to as "the tenth circle of hell" - in order to investigate Thatcher's new fortress and take her down before she can steal any more children's milk. Since it's a Doom WAD, Thatcher's Techbase is rendered in the same lovably nostalgic early 3D as id Software's game. The mod was created by Twitter user Dr. Doom Daddy, and you can check out the rather hilarious trailer via his original announcement tweet.

Since Thatcher's Techbase is set in Britain, that means a lot of Doom assets have received a uniquely British reskin. It looks like health packs have been replaced by cans of Tennent's lager, and you can also find cigarette packs lying around. You'll also be taking on English bobbies (policemen) and a mecha version of Baroness Thatcher herself, all against the backdrop of Union Jack flags and "Keep Calm and Carry On" posters. As a Brit, I just want to say this project is 100% historically accurate and is a serious attempt to represent Thatcher in documentary form.

When is the Thatcher's Techbase release date?​

You'll be able to check out Thatcher's Techbase when it launches on September 24th. According to the mod's creator, it will be playable on "almost any computer hardware", it'll be completely free, and it's compatible with Doom source port Boom. It'll have five levels of difficulty and will support co-op and deathmatch modes, too. Not only that, but Thatcher's Techbase also features voice work by Hades voiceover artist Laila Berzins, who voiced Demeter and Hades in that game. Obviously, here, she'll be voicing someone far less godly (but probably about as icy as Demeter).

iWR825o.jpg

Thatcher's Techbase is part of a larger modding scene for the original Doom and its sequel. Earlier this year, modders finally released a finished version of Doom II mod Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony after six years of working on it. There's also Castlevania: Simon's Destiny, which reimagines the original NES Castlevania as a first-person shooter using tech from the original Doom. As far as we know, however, this is the very first Margaret Thatcher-based Doom mod out there. If you want more info on this one, you can check out its Github page. Fingers crossed for the sequel where we get to take down robo-Michael Heseltine.

Source: TechRaptor

i am surprised they are allowed to do this.

Mt is not Hitler or Kim jong whatever his name is.

If you are the children or grandchildren of Mt, imagine how they would feel seeing this.

I am surprised they don't get sued for this.
LOL this is nothing. Have you seen the way people talk about her in the UK? They were parading in the streets singing "Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead" when she died.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Talking about yesterday's news. Can't imagine anyone even caring about that old cow these days.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
LOL this is nothing. Have you seen the way people talk about her in the UK? They were parading in the streets singing "Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead" when she died.

More left-wing "empathy" and "kindness" am I right?

The real truth is that Scargill and the NUM went to war against the government hoping to topple it like they did with Callaghan's Labour. Hardly democratic that a union representing a tiny fraction of the population with a leader elected for life gets to hold the country hostage. Everyone both sides of the aisle knew they needed to be curbed, particularly because thanks to the union block-vote they had the Labour leadership by the balls. Their insistence on only supporting those directly championing their interests resulted in a string of lame-duck opposition leaders with zero chance of election until the Blairite revolution in the 90's.

Britain in the mid/late 70's fucking sucked, the early 80's were way better for the vast majority of the working population. Not everyone north of the Watford gap worked down 't pit and raced whippets. Ironically the North, especially the NorthWest was where the microcomputer revolution took hold the strongest resulting in within 10 years the UK games industry being the third biggest globally. Alas neither Labour nor the Tories supported us and resulted in foreign investment (often French) strip-mining publishers and in conjunction with a steady brain-drain to the US and Canada, squandered a truly organic success story.

Thatcher was far and away the best leader the UK has had during my lifetime, which admittedly isn't saying much, but still its a historical fact.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
A bunch of dudes making Doom mods focusing on mocking the first woman in the UK holding the democratically ellected prime minister office.

Surely we'll see the videogames media complaining about the blatant misogyny targetting an actually strong and successful woman who thrived in an actual era and field of men's dominance, right?

...right?

Bullet Club

A bunch of dudes making Doom mods focusing on mocking the first woman in the UK holding the democratically ellected prime minister office.

Surely we'll see the videogames media complaining about the blatant misogyny targetting an actually strong and successful woman who thrived in an actual era and field of men's dominance, right?

...right?
It's a free homebrew mod for a game that came out in 1993.

So probably not.

Kazza

I’m shocked by the support for Thatcher in this thread. Either y’all uneducated or just ignorant. I think this is brilliant, and I, for one, can’t wait to blast Thatcher in the face with a shotgun.

I think most of us here are too young to have a strong opinion of her either way

If you are the children or grandchildren of Mt, imagine how they would feel seeing this.

you either aren't british or are not old enough to remember her reign.

she is/was hated in the UK. yea sure she ain't on the level of Hitler but probably the most hated UK PM of all time (tbf BoJo might take that title)

Last edited:

Star-Lord

I think most of us here are too young to have a strong opinion of her either way
She didn’t care for anyone outside London. She stopped giving free milk to children in schools. She fucked over tens of thousands of workers by closing the mines. She sowed the seeds for the privatisation of the NHS. She was homophobic. She supported capital punishment. She presided over interest rates of 15%. She precipitated a housing crisis that is still being felt today.

Yeah, she’s a real swell woman.

Holammer

Surprised over what? Are you Chinese?
The shit Spitting Image got away with over the years even while she was an active politician was far worse than this. Sadly ITV DMCAs the shit outta all the old stuff so I can't show examples.

Boss Mog

Oh, well, how can I win against such an eloquently put argument?
It's 2021, so no matter how eloquent an argument I make, you win by default for being higher than me on the victimhood totempole so there's no need for me to bother.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
More left-wing "empathy" and "kindness" am I right?

The real truth is that Scargill and the NUM went to war against the government hoping to topple it like they did with Callaghan's Labour. Hardly democratic that a union representing a tiny fraction of the population with a leader elected for life gets to hold the country hostage. Everyone both sides of the aisle knew they needed to be curbed, particularly because thanks to the union block-vote they had the Labour leadership by the balls. Their insistence on only supporting those directly championing their interests resulted in a string of lame-duck opposition leaders with zero chance of election until the Blairite revolution in the 90's.

Britain in the mid/late 70's fucking sucked, the early 80's were way better for the vast majority of the working population. Not everyone north of the Watford gap worked down 't pit and raced whippets. Ironically the North, especially the NorthWest was where the microcomputer revolution took hold the strongest resulting in within 10 years the UK games industry being the third biggest globally. Alas neither Labour nor the Tories supported us and resulted in foreign investment (often French) strip-mining publishers and in conjunction with a steady brain-drain to the US and Canada, squandered a truly organic success story.

Thatcher was far and away the best leader the UK has had during my lifetime, which admittedly isn't saying much, but still its a historical fact.
Delusional. Or misinformed. Not sure which. People danced on that cunts grave when she died. Does that sound like someone who was the best leader the UK ever had? You may have Personally loved the bitch. But she was hated by millions. And continues to be so. You linking that hatred with left wing snowflakes is bollocks. Like your opinion.

Arioco

I'm pretty sure this was programmed by Alex Battaglia himself. Looking forward to seeing those rays being traced.

Bragr

Banned
She didn’t care for anyone outside London. She stopped giving free milk to children in schools. She fucked over tens of thousands of workers by closing the mines. She sowed the seeds for the privatisation of the NHS. She was homophobic. She supported capital punishment. She presided over interest rates of 15%. She precipitated a housing crisis that is still being felt today.

This is normal shit, you can say this about any politician. Thatcher is the hate object for people who don't understand politics and want to come off as smart.

Star-Lord

This is normal shit, you can say this about any politician. Thatcher is the hate object for people who don't understand politics and want to come off as smart.
Was your family personally affected by Thatcher? Did her leadership have any consequence on your day-to-day living? No? Then kindly shut up.

Bragr

Banned
Was your family personally affected by Thatcher? Did her leadership have any consequence on your day-to-day living? No? Then kindly shut up.
That's not how it works. Unless you never said anything about any political figure outside of the U.K.

I have seen people celebrate Thatcher dying without even knowing she is was a prime minister or really ever hearing about her, just because they wanted to be seen as knowledgeable. People are vile, especially the people under 30 who want to come off as intellectuals. It's a new trend to celebrate death online and the people who partake in it deserve no respect.

Making a game about killing her and sending her to hell is disgusting, no matter her problems, I hope someone sues this company to the ground.

MiguelItUp

Boy, this certainly created stir didn't it? Lol.

I simply looked at the mod and was like, "Hey, if this is what you're into, sure." and then backed out. I personally don't care for such a mod. I also don't have a vivid stance on Thatcher. For those that do, and it's hostile, well here you go! This mod is for you, lol. It's clearly very tongue in cheek, lol.

Star-Lord

Making a game about killing her and sending her to hell is disgusting, no matter her problems, I hope someone sues this company to the ground.
So would you say the same about Hitler? Or Stalin? Hussain? They were people, too, and each had their own problems. I’m not saying Thatcher is on equal footing with them, but she was personally responsible for tens of thousands of miners becoming unemployed and hundreds of thousands of children being malnourished in school. So I would say she certainly had the capacity to be as evil as those above. For that reasons, she deserves a shotgun to the face.

You can stop trying to be Thatcher’s good guy. You won’t change how I feel about her because I know people who had their lives fucked by her and her almost-dictatorship. She was, is, and always will be an utter cunt.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

I believe Labour first started the removal of free milk in secondary schools and she just continued the policy when she took over seeing it removed from primary too (unless children had medical needs). Let's have an Edward Short mod too. Funny thing is that most people I see complaining about her taking away 'free milk' (no such thing) is that they weren't even in the education system when it happened, it is just a convenient trope to make a political point, which is fair enough but should be put in context.

Edit: Just reading up to check my facts. I got it wrong Thatcher didn't even take it away from all primary school kids, just those over 7, it was Labour's Shirley Williams that completed the removal.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Except you can't, because not every politician is Thatcher and Thatcher is not every politician. This is like saying "Oh you can say about Winston Churchill what you can say about any politician".

Also if people come across as "being smart" when discussing the diffrences of a leader thats not because they want to, its because people who think things like "all politicians are the same, what's the point" tend to not be very informed about the subject, and are taking active steps to stay that way.

So im veering dangerously on the edge here of discussion of politics so il stop but honestly can we stop switching off and just rolling with the easiest solution when thinking about things, otherwise the forum would just be a lala land where people don't constantly berate each others favourite console (I mean you can say the same thing about any console right? They all play games) Due to who manufacturers it.

Also I'm playing this just got the soundtrack alone, seems like it will be very tongue in cheek.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

I believe Labour first started the removal of free milk in secondary schools and she just continued the policy when she took over seeing it removed from primary too (unless children had medical needs). Let's have an Edward Short mod too. Funny thing is that most people I see complaining about her taking away 'free milk' (no such thing) is that they weren't even in the education system when it happened, it is just a convenient trope to make a political point, which is fair enough but should be put in context.
Short stopped it in secondary schools.

Thatcher stopped it in ALL schools.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Short stopped it in secondary schools.

Thatcher stopped it in ALL schools.
From Wikiepdia (check sources I guess): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_Act_1944
In 1968 Edward Short, the Labour Secretary of State for Education and Science, withdrew free milk from secondary schools for children over eleven. His successor, Conservative Margaret Thatcher withdrew free school milk from children over seven in 1971, earning her the nickname "Thatcher, the Milk Snatcher".[16][17][18] Shirley Williams withdrew free milk for children between seven and five in 1977.[19][20]
So cumulatively Thatcher took it away from only 4 school years, labour took milk away from more school year groups including the youngest.

Star-Lord

From Wikiepdia (check sources I guess): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_Act_1944

So cumulatively Thatcher took it away from only 4 school years, labour took milk away from more school year groups including the youngest.
Are you fucking stupid or is your ass too far up Thatcher’s ass that your brain cells are dying? I just said Short took it away from secondary schools - children over 11 - and Thatcher took it away from every child younger than that. And you just confirmed it. Do one.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Are you fucking stupid or is your ass too far up Thatcher’s ass that your brain cells are dying? I just said Short took it away from secondary schools - children over 11 - and Thatcher took it away from every child younger than that. And you just confirmed it. Do one.
Read the article and my post. Then apologise please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom