• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Maria Callas, the greatest singer in recorded history, died forty years ago today

Yiazmat

Just finished reading/watching everything

dhMeAzK.gif

She took it down a half step, but I am also really partial to this Caro Nome performance. She ends it differently than the one you linked to.

That recording quality tho. And why is there someone talking over it? x_x

By the way Mumei have you watched her Medea movie? I was interested in it, but then I read it's not the actual opera and she doesn't even sing in it? Why.jpg

Also I'm at a point where I still can't notice any wobble (not even in later recordings) so she always sounds great to me. Maybe it's for the best lol.

It's a name I've always known, but never listened to.

Thank you so much for putting this together, OP. I'm down a rabbit hole thanks to you; my tube amp is glowing and I'm loving every second of this.

Mumei

Amazing OP as always, Mumei. Can you do us a youtube playlist of individual great performances?

Sure.

There are duplicates here, of course, but I mostly went by going to accounts that I knew had lots of Callas uploads and pulling from them. I'd rather have too much overlap than miss things. I didn't grab everything, though, so I would still recommend checking out those accounts for more.

Also, one of the accounts has a tendency to excitedly announce some high note in the title, which is sometimes a half step higher than what the note actually is. I don't know why, but take those claims with a half a grain of salt. :)

Awesome thread and extremely informative post, thank you for this. I'm a musician and I have a wealth of information but am sadly lacking in the operatic department so thank you for the knowledge. I have heard the name Maria Callas before and knew a bit about her but this is fascinating stuff to read.

I have tendinitis and carpel tunnel, which I undoubtedly got from improper technique as a youngster. I started playing music when I was around 9 years old but didn't start taking lessons until I was 15. It was around that time I started to learn proper technique which allowed me to play faster, more challenging pieces with ease. But in my 20s I started to feel pains associated with tendinitis. Even though I had corrected my technique, the damage had been done when I was younger from playing incorrectly. I'd wager that was the same thing with Maria Callas. When you damage your tendons/vocal chords, they unfortunately stay damaged permanently. You can take precautions and fix your technique but even still, there can be a nagging pain/issue that keeps you from being able to perform the way you used to perform.

I realized I forgot to respond to this part of your post earlier, and I didn't want to just skip it entirely!

This is more or less exactly what is described in The Unknown Callas: The Greek Years, except that the problem was said to be a weakness in her diaphragm rather than the vocal folds. From the sounds of it, she had a really severe wobble throughout her voice at that time. It was only in the mid/late-1940s that her wobble was basically gone, and when it reappeared it was only ever after above ~A5.

Knew this was going to be a Mumei thread, great OP!

Yes, but not a mumeithread.

Great OP. I know nothing about opera and even thinking about getting into it is a little overwhelming, so this was a nice intro, thanks.

Of the links, I liked these the best: Ingeborg Hallstein Die Fledermaus // Calla dark, powerful low-lying passages // Calla Habanera from Bizet's Carmen // Caballe Speaking of tones to die for. Though I think at this point it might have more to do with the music than the voice. The Habanera tho!

mu! I just previewed my post and saw your response there, so I had to grab it and say hi. :)

And I hope you also listened to Hallstein's Frühlingstimmen ! It's so waltzy. <3

yes i know it is actually a waltz, pedants

mu cephei

Sure.

mu! I just previewed my post and saw your response there, so I had to grab it and say hi. :)

And I hope you also listened to Hallstein's Frühlingstimmen ! It's so waltzy. <3

yes i know it is actually a waltz, pedants

Hello! :)

I did listen to Hallstein's Frühlingstimmen, it's lovely and very waltzy :D

I've now started on your playlist, I think it will take a while...

Mumei

I received a birthday present from my grandmother on Sunday:

Some of the reviews say that the remastering isn't much of a remastering, but since I didn't already own them and didn't pay for it... *shrug*

<3

Hello! :)

I did listen to Hallstein's Frühlingstimmen, it's lovely and very waltzy :D

I've now started on your playlist, I think it will take a while...

I look forward to hearing more favorites!

Top Bottom