• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe confirmed (with playable Inkling, new Battle Mode, etc.)

Baleoce

Based on the hardware/software/peripheral costs, and how much I value the product itself at launch, I've gone from hotly anticipating this MK8 revision beforehand, to wondering if all this extra content is coming to the Wii U..

Neiteio

Man, I'm loathe to admit it, but Nintendo has my number with this game.

I'll pay $60 for it, despite its limited amount of new content...

...and should they release DLC on top of that...

...I'll buy that too. ;_;

MK8 is seriously a Top 5 GOAT for me. It's like RE4, I'll buy it again and again.

Parapraxis

Based on the hardware/software/peripheral costs, and how much I value the product itself at launch, I've gone from hotly anticipating this MK8 revision beforehand, to wondering if all this extra content is coming to the Wii U..

It would be nice if they offered it to WiiU owners, I'd pay for it.

Baleoce

It would be nice if they offered it to WiiU owners, I'd pay for it.

Same, in a heartbeat. But now you have some weird conflict of interests where they'll eventually not want 'free online' wii u players mixing with 'pay for online' switch players come next fall.

-shadow-

Better have some actual new cups also. Just having an actual battle mode and calling it Deluxe full priced would be terrible. But we'll see, the game still had some time.

I get that it's Nintendo, but you guys thinking about X-play with Wii U? 8M+ players already and this might come in handy for new players on Switch.

Don't know how DeNa's handling this new paid online service infrastructure, but it shouldn't be hard to have X-Play with Wii U.

13ruce

Banned
The double item mechanic and the few new items and the battle mode are cool might buy day one otherwise i will wait for a price drop to 40€.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If Mario Kart isn't getting much new stuff, I'm not confident about a potential Smash port.

People shouldn't have high expectations for the ports, even with those rumors.

does this version include all the dlc from Wii u version?

Yes, it does.

Don't expect anything, they must be on MK9 now

What if we are going to get some kind of Kart game from Nintendo that aren't Mario Kart? Something like Nintendo Kart, where they could reused assets from Mario Kart 8 and use them for Nintendo Kart, like Isabella, Inklings, Villager, Link and Mario.

Kebiinu

Banned
I'll honestly buy this if online goes up to 200cc. In MK8, you would have to create a custom 200cc room, and hope to be paired with other users searching the same. Whereas the max speed for high level rooms capped at 150cc–despite mirror mode being a thing in MKWiiOnline even–and it made 200cc feel like a novelty in the end.

Being able to jump online and race in highly competitive rooms will definitely enhance my interest in double dipping. I hope the lack of new tracks, means that a new Mario Kart is well on it's way. Surely this won't be the only Mario Kart for the system?

AmyS

If it's truly native 1920 x 1080p in TV mode, then count me in, this will be the second game I buy for Switch.

Roo

I'll honestly buy this if online goes up to 200cc. In MK8, you would have to create a custom 200cc room, and hope to be paired with other users searching the same. Whereas the max speed for high level rooms capped at 150cc–despite mirror mode being a thing in MKWiiOnline even–and it made 200cc feel like a novelty in the end.

Being able to jump online and race in highly competitive rooms will definitely enhance my interest in double dipping. I hope the lack of new tracks, means that a new Mario Kart is well on it's way. Surely this won't be the only Mario Kart for the system?

I never understood why they took Mirror out of the standard online/regular online mode.
It helped to mix things up while playing with others.

And like you say, hopefully they set 200cc as a standard online mode instead of custom.
Now that it's part of the main game, there shouldn't be any reason to not do it.

200cc Mirror would be fucking amazing as well but this is Nintendo so they probably won't bother think of something so obvious.

I saw a hint that there might be other modes. I'm curious if they mean other battle modes, it'd be interesting if there introduced a lot of different but fun battle modes. I also wouldn't mind mission mode coming back. Given everything stated about the game details, I doubt they'll be any new racing tracks. However I would've loved one final cup, maybe call it Royal Cup and include 5 tracks instead of 4.

1080p is great, so is battle mode... but no new tracks and full price? I mean, I love this game so I'm going to double dip but that is disappointing.

OrochiJR

1080p is great, so is battle mode... but no new tracks and full price? I mean, I love this game so I'm going to double dip but that is disappointing.

I'm still holding out hope that they will announce the rumored 16 new tracks soon. It would suck if they turn out to be paid DLC though, after paying full price for the game again.

fhqwhgads

Don't forget that this comes with all the DLC on the disk too. You all paid for MK8 full price and then bought the DLC separately. This isn't like Nintendo is just realising the battle mode and characters, then turning around and going "By the way, you still have to cough up some dough for the Wii U DLC"

MK8 on the go is one of the reasons I am tempted to buy the Switch. The game is just that good, and since I have to travel a lot in the near future ( work-related ), I might have to buy the darn thing come summer.

Nepenthe

Don't forget that this comes with all the DLC on the disk too. You all paid for MK8 full price and then bought the DLC separately.

Joke's on you; I got the MK8 pack-in Wii U with all the shit on it. Didn't have to buy a goddamn thing.

Which is why I see no need for me to buy this whenever I inevitably get a Switch. With new race tracks it was a definite, but $60 for what is essentially revamped battle mode which I don't even play? And I still get free online on Wii U? No thanks.

Skeletos311

There's still a while before the game comes out, so maybe they'll reveal more stuff when they go into full promotion mode with it. Zelda is going to be getting most of the attention now.

Mario Kart is just the most joy filled series in gaming to me. Just driving around feels so good from Double Dash onwards. <3

0319aa84fa94dd39f126b782581bcc2a.jpg

(Relationship goals...Oh how I wish)

I skipped Mario Kart 8 because of the absence of anything WiiU but I need to change that with switch!

Bluth54

What if we are going to get some kind of Kart game from Nintendo that aren't Mario Kart? Something like Nintendo Kart, where they could reused assets from Mario Kart 8 and use them for Nintendo Kart, like Isabella, Inklings, Villager, Link and Mario.

Yeah with us getting a port of Mario Kart 8 I'm hoping we get a Nintendo Kart this time around. It feels like the DLC from the Wii U version was sort of a test to see what people's reactions would be (or maybe to get them used to the idea of characters and tracks from something other then Mario).

NeonZ

Why can't he look like Dark Moon King Boo?

Probably for the same reason they won't include any WarioWare characters. The Mario Kart staff doesn't seem to care much about spin offs. Even the Luigi's Mansion stages generally seem to just feature standard Mario enemies as obstacles, rather than ones from the actual Luigi's Mansion games. So, the King Buu here is from the Mario games, not from the Luigi spin off.

well, it includes the new tracks from the Wii u dlc, so technically it includes new tracks compared to the vanilla version. however, it is disappointing we don't get new exclusive tracks for switch version

noshten

I'd imagine the best way to make MK8 Deluxe very succesful is to announced a free DLC for Holiday 2017 in line with the Mario launch with brand new tracks inspired by Splatoon, new Mario, new Zelda etc.

They did DLC on MK8 that was free so I don't see why they wouldn't do this to inspire more MK8 Deluxe sales in the Holidays.

That would probably make me very comfortable with re buying at full price

Addi

I have played this game on Wii U so much with my friends and flatmates, local 4 players for hours and hours. One thing I didn't think about much before now, is that if we all play on our own screens, we won't be able to ghost by looking on other players screens. This, along with two item slots, will definitely change the dynamics for us.

WillyFive

Despite the fantastic DLC and the excellent price that they were offered for MK8; the features of this game seem more like free DLC-type stuff to me.

Have they said if local multiplayer on multiple handheld switches will require each person to have a copy of the game? That could make it a deal breaker for me.

Malice215

I put my preorder in yesterday. Mariokart 8 on the go plus a 20% discount made this a must have.

I'd be disappointed if they didn't include more than just the Wii U content and battle mode, but it's not a deal breaker. Maybe they'll show more in April once Zelda stops eating up the attention.

I'd imagine the best way to make MK8 Deluxe very succesful is to announced a free DLC for Holiday 2017 in line with the Mario launch with brand new tracks inspired by Splatoon, new Mario, new Zelda etc.

They did DLC on MK8 that was free so I don't see why they wouldn't do this to inspire more MK8 Deluxe sales in the Holidays.

That would probably make me very comfortable with re buying at full price

There better be some free content released. This is ridiculous if there are no new tracks.

I'm still holding out hope that they will announce the rumored 16 new tracks soon. It would suck if they turn out to be paid DLC though, after paying full price for the game again.

I dunno, I feel like 16 new tracks is a big deal and if they were going to be included, they would have announced and even demoed some yesterday. That said, will still buy this day one. Mario Kart 8 was crazy good, which is a big deal for me having become bored with Mario Kart after Double Dash.

i don't see myself double dipping for this if there are no new tracks. i know it will never happen, but it would cool if it was cross-play with the Wii U version

I can't believe they haven't confirmed yet if there are any new tracks. Like others have said, if they were included I would have expected them to already talk about.

Really hard to justify paying full price again just for some new characters and battle mode, even if it is portable. I guess I'll wait and see with this one.

Sponge

Banned
Is it confirmed that the new characters shown will be all that's added? I'm still surprised there's no Diddy Kong.

In fact, I feel like we're close to having every character that's been in Mario Kart in the game. Who else is missing? Petey, Birdo, Funky...uh, DK. Jr I guess?

Narroo

Is it confirmed that the new characters shown will be all that's added? I'm still surprised there's no Diddy Kong.

In fact, I feel like we're close to having every character that's been in Mario Kart in the game. Who else is missing? Petey, Birdo, Funky...uh, DK. Jr I guess?

Pacman?

Top Bottom