• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe confirmed (with playable Inkling, new Battle Mode, etc.)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Double items is what made Double Dash the king of MK. Glad to see it return, but I'm unsure about a repurchase. Debating trading in my Wii U copy...

I never got MK8 on the Wii U, I'll happily pay full price for this. I wish it was coming out closer to the console's debut so I could have multiplayer right from the get-go, but I'm in. Zelda will occupy me for a while.

ffdgh

Is it confirmed that the new characters shown will be all that's added? I'm still surprised there's no Diddy Kong.

In fact, I feel like we're close to having every character that's been in Mario Kart in the game. Who else is missing? Petey, Birdo, Funky...uh, DK. Jr I guess?

Honey queen, Wiggler, and if we really want to split hairs, Toadsworth.

Vidiot

So, any word on if we can play battle mode with classic rules? A couple of ballons, no time limit, no respawning? It's kinda make or break for me. If we can I'll rebuy for sure. If not it's an easy pass for me.

Double items is what made Double Dash the king of MK. Glad to see it return, but I'm unsure about a repurchase. Debating trading in my Wii U copy...
I already traded in my copy along with Smash in anticipation of Switch releases. I am most excited for the return of a proper Battle Mode. Extra tracks, double items, and new characters are what's icing on the cake for me.

Revven

So, any word on if we can play battle mode with classic rules? A couple of ballons, no time limit, no respawning? It's kinda make or break for me. If we can I'll rebuy for sure. If not it's an easy pass for me.

They said there's more modes for battle mode not announced yet. So, it's possible that's one of them.

The main balloon battle mode still seemed to be 5 balloons and timed with respawns. But maybe it'll be possible to change the rules, or like I said, maybe there will be a separate mode that's literally called "Classic Balloon Battle" lol (or maybe they'll call it Survival or Elimination).

But nothing's confirmed beyond more modes outside of the two they showed yesterday.

mooooose

Wish this wasn't full price but Mario Kart 8 rocks. It'll be fun to always have around, to play local multiplayer with a full screen, etc. Inklings too (but why are they not in Smashhhh aghhh).

kubev

I'm so happy that this'll have a proper battle mode. I loved Mario Kart 8 at first, but the longevity of any given Mario Kart game for me lied in its battle mode. I hope you don't have to unlock everything by racing again, but I'm looking forward to battle mode on this thing, in either case. Any confirmation as to how many players you can have in battle mode, both locally and via online play?

Loved playing as the inklings but couldn't help feel that I'd done it all before on the Wii U. No new tracks was a complete let down for me. I already own all the DLC tracks on Wii U.

Coffinhal

Loved playing as the inklings but couldn't help feel that I'd done it all before on the Wii U. No new tracks was a complete let down for me. I already own all the DLC tracks on Wii U.

You're not the target, that's all.

People here really have a difficulty thinking outside of their own little situation (and it's not like the concept of remaster/enhanced edition is new tbh)

Only reason you'd want it on Switch if you already bled it on Wii U is that you want to play it on the go and/or you want to experience it again from scratch because it's been a long time since you really played it. That won't be for everyone since the console is overpriced and the game too (70EU lol, and no discount if you owned the original one)

Vidiot

They said there's more modes for battle mode not announced yet. So, it's possible that's one of them.

The main balloon battle mode still seemed to be 5 balloons and timed with respawns. But maybe it'll be possible to change the rules, or like I said, maybe there will be a separate mode that's literally called "Classic Balloon Battle" lol (or maybe they'll call it Survival or Elimination).

But nothing's confirmed beyond more modes outside of the two they showed yesterday.

Thanks. Well I have it preordered for now but if I don't get my answer before launch or it turns out it doesn't have classic battle mode I'll cancel in a heartbeat. Timed battle mode with respawning is shit and they might as well have just left the shit battle mode from the original MK8 in.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Even if I keep my Switch pre-order for launch I have really no incentive to get this for full price. Even as a DLC would be a hard sell for me because I'm really not into the Battle mode and 4 new characters is a really light DLC.

Neiteio

I keep forgetting that Deluxe allows you to hold two items at once. That alone makes this a new experience. Along with the new items, karts, characters and Battle Mode, with its own unique maps and game types... Plus all of the content (including free and paid DLC) from the original, all prettier at 1080p, enhanced with HD Rumble, and playable at home and on the go, with new steering assist for novices, even at 200cc... There's a lot of value here, even without new racetracks.

New tracks would put this over the top, though. Curiously, GameXplain said they weren't allowed to see the track selection screen at the media event. Maybe there are new cups after all? Wouldn't get my hopes up, based on the PR language, but who knows.

Neifirst

New tracks would put this over the top, though. Curiously, GameXplain said they weren't allowed to see the track selection screen at the media event. Maybe there are new cups after all? Wouldn't get my hopes up, based on the PR language, but who knows.

It would be really odd for Deluxe to include new racing tracks and not mention them anywhere. I wonder if they'll try more DLC...

Josh5890

At this moment it is a soft no for me. The new battle mode is nice but that won't justify a $50 purchase from me (Best Buy GCU). Obviously we don't know everything that is included in the package so I'm going to hold off making a final judgement for the time being. Hopefully the new modes that were teased yesterday during the Treehouse Live will excite me enough.

Thinking about it, I wonder if the development of ARMS is what ultimately "gimped" this here port. From my understanding, it's being made by a lot of the team that worked on MK8, so perhaps with its Switch port, they were only left with a skeleton crew that didn't have enough time to work on 16 new race tracks.

I wonder if Nintendo will release new DLC for this version down the line. That would be ideal and allow the MK team to create new experiences, instead of focusing on a brand new MK. It's rumored they're the team behind ARMS. I want more of that.

I'm pretty fine without additional stages. Granted, I never purchased the original game or played many DLC levels at friends' houses, so this will be a pretty fresh experience for me.

Richie

I want to believe they'll still confirm tracks and more stuff for this game before it releases. A handful of new characters and returning items, while appreciated, ain't worth full price to someone like me who owned MK8 with all the DLC. Battle Mode is very, veeeery welcome but even then just four stages is a hard pill to swallow when every MK since DS has had 6 at least (and MK Wii had 10). I hope we haven't seen it all.

I wish the battle arenas didn't look so... massive. Most of my favorites from the previous Mario Kart games were really small. That said, I'm happy they are finally adding an actual battle mode, not the trash that was in the Wii U version.

.New tracks would put this over the top, though. Curiously, GameXplain said they weren't allowed to see the track selection screen at the media event. Maybe there are new cups after all? Wouldn't get my hopes up, based on the PR language, but who knows.

Hmm, that's mighty suspicious

Can someone illucidate to me as to why there is a consensus there won't be new tracks? It's absolutely not implied at all to me. I do think it's strange they didn't mention them but it could easily mean they're waiting to reveal them in the same manner they did the DLC.

I'm not saying there will for sure be extra tracks but I don't know that it's confirmed that there won't be.

Addi

How long does it actually take to create new tracks? There was 6 months between the two DLCs, but I don't know if it actually takes that long? Just wondering in case there really could be new tracks. It comes out 3,5 month from now and I can't really see why this couldn't have been a launch title if there wasn't much new stuff.

I do think it's strange they didn't mention them but it could easily mean they're waiting to reveal them in the same manner they did the DLC..

Right. Maybe they are waiting for the end of March/start of April to announce it. That way all focus would be on Mario Kart.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Anyone else get the feeling that MK8 was incredibly rushed on Wii U and Nintendo intentionally decided to wait until Switch to do a proper Battle Mode, like they had this in mind in 2014?

Glass Rebel

Anyone else get the feeling that MK8 was incredibly rushed on Wii U and Nintendo intentionally decided to wait until Switch to do a proper Battle Mode, like they had this in mind in 2014?

I can't roll my eyes back hard enough at this revisionist bullshit. MK8 was a great game even before the DLC came out and only got better.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I can't roll my eyes back hard enough at this revisionist bullshit. MK8 was a great game even before the DLC came out and only got better.

I never said MK8 wasn't a great game, I bought it day 1 and loved it, also bought the DLC, so spare me your bullshit.

It was obviously either rushed or they simply didn't want to do a real battle mode. Why? ...A port 3 years later (the first straight port of a MK game ever) pops up with a proper battle mode. It wouldn't be shocking if Nintendo had the idea they would port this as a launch window title on what was then NX.

I wish they would add more singleplayer stuff. I enjoyed trying to get 3 stars in all the Mario Kart DS objective based trials and shit.

zoukka

I keep forgetting that Deluxe allows you to hold two items at once. That alone makes this a new experience. Along with the new items, karts, characters and Battle Mode, with its own unique maps and game types... Plus all of the content (including free and paid DLC) from the original, all prettier at 1080p, enhanced with HD Rumble, and playable at home and on the go, with new steering assist for novices, even at 200cc... There's a lot of value here, even without new racetracks.

Damn you sound like a Nintendo rep.

Glass Rebel

I never said MK8 wasn't a great game, I bought it day 1 and loved it, also bought the DLC, so spare me your bullshit.

It was obviously either rushed or they simply didn't want to do a real battle mode. Why? ...A port 3 years later (the first straight port of a MK game ever) pops up with a proper battle mode. It wouldn't be shocking if Nintendo had the idea they would port this as a launch window title on what was then NX.

You said "incredibly rushed". Followed by a bunch of conjecture. That is bullshit.

Neoxon

Interesting, so there's hope after all.

Roo

Are you Reggie' son? because that was some sweet ass sales speech lol

Anyway, about you GameXplain comment, even thought I don't expect new cups from this game, it sure seemed weird (from hands-on impression and the treehouse stream itself) that in battle mode, people wouldn't be able to choose the (announced) battle tracks at will. No settings for battle and no arena selection screen. Straight from the character/vehicle screen to the battle itself so in that sense, yeah, they're certainly hiding some stuff.

If I were to speculate, there are still 4 more battle arenas yet to unveil so they keep things even between the new stuff and the old battle tracks.
We'll see.

KingBroly

Banned

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened with Battle Mode, but I don't know if this was their original plans for Battle Mode, either. They probably saw the feedback and made Arena-based Battle Mode again. I hope it's not team-based like MKWii, either.

No new tracks no sell. I got this digitally in Wii u full price at least I want I discount

I will never get this attitude. It's a new version of a game on a new console with new content. Why would you get a discount? Why do you feel like you should get one?

I just don't understand.

Vidiot

I watched the tree house segment on this and the battle mode looked awful to me. Seems to be timed, and you can't just choose to play with your friends only. It seems to force cpu players in too. Awful, awful, awful. Really hope that you can change to only human player elimination. If not this deluxe edition is nothing but waisted potential to me.

meppi

I watched the tree house segment on this and the battle mode looked awful to me. Seems to be timed, and you can't just choose to play with your friends only. It seems to force cpu players in too. Awful, awful, awful. Really hope that you can change to only human player elimination. If not this deluxe edition is nothing but waisted potential to me.

No it does not. Seen a stream where they talk about leaving the bots on accidentally and how it's possible to configure it any way you like. 2 vs 6 bots, 8 people vs each other, 1 vs 1 without bots.

Top Bottom