• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe confirmed (with playable Inkling, new Battle Mode, etc.)

Neiteio

Are you Reggie' son? because that was some sweet ass sales speech lol
Ha, not trying to sell anyone on anything. More like listing the bullet-points to try and sell myself on this game. I do find MK8DX more appealing when I put everything in perspective.

Also, not related to Reggie, although he is my spirit animal.

You are able to play 2 player splitcreen with just the joycons included, right?

Yes. You and another person can each use one Joy Con. You can use the tilt function ala the Wiimote or control it through physical controls. Nintendo has Joy Con wheels like they did for the Wii as well.

joy-con_wheel.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I have a feeling that we are going to get 4 more battle arena and one more battle mode, along with more mii costumes from Amiibo.

bman94

Yes. You and another person can each use one Joy Con. You can use the tilt function ala the Wiimote or control it through physical controls. Nintendo has Joy Con wheels like they did for the Wii as well.

joy-con_wheel.jpg

Lmao that looks so stupid.

I'm fully expecting Mario Kart 9 in 2018, cause this ain't going to cut it.

bman94

I wouldn't be so keen on 2018, I can't imagine they'd bother with this if they were working on getting Kart Switch out that soon.

Then the fuck all have they been doing? It's been 2 years since the last DLC, I can't imagine all their man power went towards battle mode and ARMS?

Berordn

Then the fuck all have they been doing? It's been 2 years since the last DLC, I can't imagine all their man power went towards battle mode and ARMS?

Restructuring from EAD into EPD, and most of the teams are likely moving between projects now.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that manpower is going into Odyssey (if the scope really is as big as they're hinting) and Splatoon 2 (striking while the iron's hot).

Hostile_18

Banned
No new tracks and paid online? Ok I'll save my money then. Still a great game for those who missed it on the U though.

Yeah I mainly wanted this console as a cheap secondary console to my PS4 with the main interest been a improved Mario Kart 8.

With how generous they were with the DLC I don't think it was unreasonable to assume there would be new single player tracks (I don't have much interest in Battle Mode).

With Mario out at Christmas and the insane pricing/subscription and little third party support, this is going down exactly the same line as the WiiU (not a disaster, but far from sucessful).

CrisKre

I really really think we will see more tracks before release. At least 1 new cup and 1 new retro cup. I'd be very disappointed if we don't.

fisheyes

The ordering of Bowser > Dry Bones > Bowser Jr > Dry Bowser is doing my OCD in. Like, Bowser > Bowser Jr > Dry Bones > Dry Bowser would work. Bowser > Dry Bowser > Dry Bones > Bowser Jr would work. Pretty much every other combination of those 4 characters, except for the one they went with, would work. Or swap King Boo and Dry Bones' rows so that the generic enemy is with the rest of the similar characters. Or something. Don't leave it like that, it pains me.

Berordn

The ordering of Bowser > Dry Bones > Bowser Jr > Dry Bowser is doing my OCD in. Like, Bowser > Bowser Jr > Dry Bones > Dry Bowser would work. Bowser > Dry Bowser > Dry Bones > Bowser Jr would work. Pretty much every other combination of those 4 characters, except for the one they went with, would work. Or swap King Boo and Dry Bones' rows so that the generic enemy is with the rest of the similar characters. Or something. Don't leave it like that, it pains me.

Jr. not being next to Bowser is weird but all in all it's a step up from the previous one. Both Metal and Fursuit characters next to each other and the guest characters grouped together (and both Villagers separated) puts me at ease.

This is kind of a weird thing to comment on.

It's kind of funny some people are surprised a Deluxe version only has a minuscule amount of new content. I get that it makes double dipping not seem as appealing, but I'm pretty sure this game was for people who didn't own a Wii U and are getting the Switch

Sorry if this has been asked, but do we know how many battle arenas there are?

There are 4 battle arenas announced (Battle Stadium, Urchin Underpass from Splatoon, SNES Battle Course 1 and GCN Luigi's Mansion). We do not know if there are more since no one at the events seem to ask this question, they're all focused on the lack of new race tracks.

trixx

Was considering trading in Wii u version but I think I'd rather play with gamepad and Pro controller for 2 players instead of joycons

Battle is whatever

Berordn

It's kind of funny some people are surprised a Deluxe version only has a minuscule amount of new content. I get that it makes double dipping not seem as appealing, but I'm pretty sure this game was for people who didn't own a Wii U and are getting the Switch

It's kind of interesting actually how there seems to be two camps for Mario Kart. Completely revamping battle mode with unique arenas and re-balanced items and rules is no small feat and a significant chunk of content. But for many of us, we're just in it for the racing so rather than getting excited about how much is going into Battle Mode we just focus on what we aren't getting (despite it being the focus of both DLC packs).

And even knowing that and spending far more hours in MK8 than I should have, I still feel a little sore about it since I really wanted more tracks despite having more available than any other MK title to date.

Big question is will this run at 60fps with 4 player split screen.

Going from 60 to 30 was jarring.

I think it was mentioned on Treehouse that 4 player split is still 30 FPS, but at least you can remedy that with multiple consoles this time...

Im not surprised at all by the content. Whats surprising is them selling this for a full $60. No port ever should be full price, EVER. I would love to get it but I can only pay 40 dollars max.

Right now my only issue is price, and the lack of Diddy Kong and Birdo.

Have they said anything about Mario Kart TV? I hope they upgraded it to allow for full customization and control of videos with the ability to put clips together for montages. The original was boring with its length limit and auto editing.

VICI0US

Can you do battle mode without the bots? Just 4 players ala MK64?

i watched the treehouse gameplay and all their matches seemed to have bots.

Can you do battle mode without the bots? Just 4 players ala MK64?

i watched the treehouse gameplay and all their matches seemed to have bots.

In MK8 it's an option that you select before the battle (COM: No COM, Easy COM, Normal COM, Hard COM). They probably kept it in MK8D.

Top Bottom