• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the game is now up on the japanese eshop , 2hours ahead of midnite April 28th Japan time

texting my kids my eshop code..

edit: screw that, just clicked on the link in my amazon receipt email. Shoudl be downloaded before I get home :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
omg, this game is not leaving my Switch until Arms release, lol. This is so much better than the WiiU version.

edit: Poor Zelda :(
I read in the Nintendo Life review cars felt like they have more weight, do you see a change in controls? Or is it just the HD Rumble that gives this illusion?

Fliesen

Is it actually okay to play with a wheel thing? I've never used one, and I just have such a hard time picturing how it works.

it works quite well, and it's a lot of fun to casual players.

the main issue with motion controls is that, while on a stick there's a clear "stick goes from center to all-the-way-left" there's no end point to how far you can rotate the wheel. You can turn it further than an actual steering wheel would actually turn.

This is both:
* fun
* somewhat detrimental to your controlling accuracy.

Robin64

Can we do 4-player split screen of one Switch? That's gonna be crazy if it does on the go....

4dy6Uzm.jpg

enishi

the game is now up on the japanese eshop , 2hours ahead of midnite April 28th Japan time

Looks like it is following Australia time zone, which is good

Too bad I turned off my Switch before I leave home. I will need to rush back and start downloading

it works quite well, and it's a lot of fun to casual players.

the main issue with motion controls is that, while on a stick there's a clear "stick goes from center to all-the-way-left" there's no end point to how far you can rotate the wheel. You can turn it further than an actual steering wheel would actually turn.

This is both:
* fun
* somewhat detrimental to your controlling accuracy.

But I guess I can still use the stick while having it in the shell right? You don't have to use motion controls right?

I would ask less questions if my copy was already here 😂

I hate you.

I would do the same but I'm having OCD about keeping big purchases under my main account :(
If you don't have any balance on your main account, you can switch regions, redeem the code, start the download and switch back to the original region.

ryanofcall

Want to go for digital on the Swiss eShop - but it's more expensive than physical in Switzerland ... Do I lose all my purchases if I change the country or my balance only (which is 0)?

Fliesen

But I guess I can still use the stick while having it in the shell right? You don't have to use motion controls right?

I would ask less questions if my copy was already here ��

i would strongly guess so - you can also use motion controls without the wheel.
They're just a plastic shell, just like the one on Wii. (or just like the joycon straps are, really).
There's nothing telling the console whether or not the wheel is attached to the joycon.

(earlier in this thread there's a screen shot of the pause menu, where you can toggle:
Smart Steering
"Tilt controls" (i.e. motion controls)
Auto Accelerate
4NYkFoU.jpg

i think you can toggle any of these features regardless of what controller you use.

Robin64

Want to go for digital on the Swiss eShop - but it's more expensive than physical in Switzerland ... Do I lose all my purchases if I change the country or my balance only (which is 0)?

You only lose your balance. If it's 0, then no probs, go ahead and enjoy cheaper games. :D

Will it be in japanese when its done or since you switched accounts will it change over to the us release?

It will be in English. It is exactly the same file you would download on a US account, with the region your Switch is set to telling the game how to behave.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Create a japanese account on your switch to access the japanese eshop, so that you can buy the digital game at 47€ on amazon.jp, instead of 59€ in Europe.

Robin64

CC won't work on the eshop and Amazon.jp won't let me purchase the digital code since I'm outside of Japan :/

I am in the UK and used my UK debit card on Amazon Japan just fine.

I just made sure I entered a primary address in Japan. (I copied Nintendo HQ's address)

JJShadow

Getting my Switch tomorrow along Zelda and this, I'm really excited! Never played MK8 before, so it seems like I'm in for a treat

BashNasty

Add a Japanese address to your Amazon address list and it will let you purchase.

So I tried to log in with my main amazon account on the Amazon.jp website and it didn't let me. Do I need to create a new Japanese account in order to purchase the code there?

Honestly I'd like to play this as soon as possible (despite putting hundreds of hours into the WiiU version) so whats the best way to go about getting it off the Japanese e-shop, amazon or something else?

So I tried to log in with my main amazon account on the Amazon.jp website and it didn't let me. Do I need to create a new Japanese account in order to purchase the code there?

Honestly I'd like to play this as soon as possible (despite putting hundreds of hours into the WiiU version) so whats the best way to go about getting it off the Japanese e-shop, amazon or something else?

Amazon. You need to create a new Japanese account.

Could someone link to the actual digital card Amazon.jp page for the game? I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally order the retail copy or a guide or something lol

Robin64

Could someone link to the actual digital card Amazon.jp page for the game? I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally order the retail copy or a guide or something lol

Sure

https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E4%BB%BB%E5%A4%A9%E5%A0%82-%E3%83%9E%E3%83%AA%E3%82%AA%E3%82%AB%E3%83%BC%E3%83%888-%E3%83%87%E3%83%A9%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%82%B9-%E3%82%AA%E3%83%B3%E3%83%A9%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B3%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89%E7%89%88/dp/B01MTASBY4/ref=sr_1_2

An easy way to tell if you are on the code version of a game is that there will be a line in the description that says "This product can be downloaded again or its product key can be reacquired from the Games & Software Library."

Majora

When playing online, do people with smart steering on play in the same races as people without it on?

I don't have a problem with the feature for younger/inexperienced players at all but it seems slightly unfair online if otherwise good players can keep it turned on and eliminate all risk of falling off whatsoever.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Why would you play through 50 and 100cc in mk8 i went straight to 150. All the stars i got at 150cc also appeared on 100 and 50cc

There's no way this is true. The stars and trophies on the lower CCs don't appear if you only play the higher CCs.

...right?

Top Bottom