• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

vgamer1

Just preordered my physical copy for pickup tomorrow from Best Buy!

GCU + $20 in certificates from buying the Switch = $28 copy of the game on release day!

OmegaFax

Japanese version is the same as the US/EU ones? I know that's been asked over and over again but I think I'm going to go the JP route and return my BB copy if it comes tomorrow.

Syinn

Neo Member
Anyone know how the region flag that appears next to your name is determined in MK8D? Is it based on the region of your Nintendo Account? I want mine to show as Australian but my Nintendo Account is stuck on US because I have 1 cent left over in my account and can't change back to my Australian region :(

I was able to change back and had funds? It just asked me if I wanted to remove them.

Pending verification on Amazon.co.jp. How long does this usually take? Mine's been "processing" for about half an hour. Just wanted to get it for a bit cheaper. ;o

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Lé Blade Runner;234898009 said:
Pending verification on Amazon.co.jp. How long does this usually take? Mine's been "processing" for about half an hour. Just wanted to get it for a bit cheaper. ;o
It took me 3 hours.

They did NOT drop anything. Switch is NOT a 3DS successor.

It's also not a Wii U successor.

It's a brand-new thing.

Not being a successor doesn't mean they didn't drop anything. We don't know if there'll be another device with a 3DS-like form factor because Nintendo hasn't announced any plans for any new platforms but Switch.

Jacce

Banned

Time machine back to 2004:
"They did NOT drop anything. DS is NOT a GBA successor."

Look at Nintendo's 3DS release schedule and count how many titles developed internally there are this year. It is zero. They have moved on internally from 3DS. You are in denial here my man.

Jacce

Banned
I'd be so bummed if they announce a 3DS successor in a year or two, and it's a clamshell design.

They won't.

Seriously to ANYONE thinking Nintendo hasn't shifted their handheld development from 3DS to Switch can any of you tell me why Nintendo has completely stopped developing games for it internally? There isn't a single EPD/EAD title in the works and there hasn't been one in a long while.

Jacce

Banned
It's not a new handheld from Nintendo. The last one was and still is - 3DS.

It is. Fact.

Why did Nintendo stop making 3DS games then? Their internal studios at EPD dropped it for Switch.

Switch is a handheld. You can use it as a handheld, take it wherever as a portable and never plug it into a tv. You can use it exactly like you used a GameBoy, DS, 3DS, etc. It's not tied down to a tv or outlet.

giphy.gif

Justin Bailey

------ ------
It's not a new handheld from Nintendo. The last one was and still is - 3DS.

It is. Fact.

You're falling for the marketing bait dude. They did the same thing when they released the DS. They don't want to torpedo any new or recently upcoming 3DS titles by themselves or third parties so they say it's not a replacement, but it is.

It is. Fact.

It's not for exactly the same reason that 3DS is not: because Nintendo says it's not.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05...not-the-successor-to-the-wii-u-nor-to-the-3ds

Kimishima: The NX [Switch] is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS. It's a new way of playing games, which I think will have a larger impact than the Wii U, but I don't feel it's a pure replacement for the Wii U.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-says-no-nx-and-no-smart-device-announcements-a-1703550475

Iwata: Because we are calling [Switch] a ‘new concept,’ we are not thinking of this as a ‘simple replacement’ for the 3DS or the Wii U.

bedlamite

Amazon.jp order went through, game is downloading now. MUCH EXCITE

I noticed that while the console accepted the download code just fine, I haven't been credited the gold coins into the My Nintendo account yet. Wonder if I did something wrong or if just takes awhile.

jts

...hate me...
Same, Amazon Japan came through. Downloading!

Removed micro SD card so the Zelda updates got removed and I can't play (unless I redownload them I guess). Pity, I was having fun farming items while waiting for Mario Kart :p

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
When I say it's not a 3DS or Wii U successor, I don't mean it's not replacing them.

I mean it's not the new platform for either line of products.

That's because Nintendo has created a new product line, designed to make the old categories obsolete.

I mean this is just very poor semantics. Making a line (or multiple lines obsolete) is being a successor. smartphones are the successors to the point n shoot camera, even though they weren't exactly new point n shoot cameras.

Time machine back to 2004:
"They did NOT drop anything. DS is NOT a GBA successor."

Look at Nintendo's 3DS release schedule and count how many titles developed internally there are this year. It is zero. They have moved on internally from 3DS. You are in denial here my man.

lol yeah.

Switch is definitely a 3ds AND Wii U successor.

It's only not if you believe their PR speak.

BashNasty

Sweet, bought a couple cards off play-asia and now I've got Mario Kart downloading from the Japanese Eshop.

I do have about 1500 yen left over from the transaction. Anything on the Japanese Eshop around that price worth looking into at the moment?

jts

...hate me...
Really? That's weird, why would you think that? Isn't Mario Kart like their biggest franchise, or one of them anyway?

It is, but it has been one Mario Kart per console, not counting BC/Virtual Console (which Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is not).

If this game itches the Mario Kart scratch for players, enjoys evergreen sales, builds a great online community etc, I don't think there's a need for another one. I do miss getting original tracks (or more retro tracks), but they can be released as DLC.

Oh and when I said I don't believe there will be one, I meant on the Switch :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any where in the UK selling joycons still?

I want to get an extra pair for 4 player

Oddly amazon uk don't have pairs but amazon prime in London do. Also amazon uk have individual left/right so you could buy two of those for about he same price as a pair

Neiteio

It is, but it has been one Mario Kart per console, not counting BC/Virtual Console (which Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is not).

If this game itches the Mario Kart scratch for players, enjoys evergreen sales, builds a great online community etc, I don't think there's a need for another one. I do miss getting original tracks (or more retro tracks), but they can be released as DLC.

I'd be fine with this. I'd rather they just build upon the perfect foundation they already have, rather than reinvent the wheel and possibly make things worse. Adding more tracks via DLC, and even new modes (like a Double Dash mode!), would be a great way to extend the experience.

I mean, for me it won't matter since this will be the first I play of it, but it's weird to me they would have the Switch's only Mario Kart game be an enhanced port of a previous one. But maybe that's a Nintendo thing, I dunno

DarkJC

I mean, for me it won't matter since this will be the first I play of it, but it's weird to me they would have the Switch's only Mario Kart game be an enhanced port of a previous one. But maybe that's a Nintendo thing, I dunno

I'd wager that it's probably not going to be the Switch's only Mario Kart.

But, this lets them get it out close to launch, which is a great strategy since it's one of the best local multiplayer games out there.

edit: Forgot about DLC.. okay, I could see them extending the life of this if they release more tracks in the future.

ZeroX03

Banned
Can get this now, or I can save $20 by waiting two weeks. On the fence. I know I don't like the game that much and have P5 and Puyo Puyo Tetris to play but I'm so bad at waiting for games I'd rather just have them ASAP.

When I say it's not a 3DS or Wii U successor, I don't mean it's not replacing them.

I mean it's not the new platform for either line of products.

That's because Nintendo has created a new product line, designed to make the old categories obsolete.

That's just word games. It's the next gen of both systems. It's the successor.

Top Bottom