• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Brothership Announced | Nintendo Direct

Jinzo Prime

I NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS THOUGHT THAT WE WOULD GET A NEW M&L GAME HOLLY SHIT!!!!!

I can't belive they are pushing the concept of Mario and Luigi so far! This is what I've wanted in the franchice for a long time! Look at the wacky animation! Look at the unique characters! Look at how Mario and Luigi work together to solve puzzles!

Day fucking one Switch got ALL THREE Mario RPG franchises I must be dreaming!!

Bridges

Great year for Mario RPGs. I wasn't a fan of Dream Team and skipped Paper Jam but this looks like a great return to form. I still have RPG and TTYD remakes on my shelf I need to get to first but I'll for sure grab this

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So is this the second game with Kevin Afghani voicing Mario? It definitely wasn't Martinet. If I really had to nitpick the voice, I'd say that he sounds raspier than Mario should. But other than that, it's fine.

It does feel weird not having Charles Martinet voicing the Big M, though.

ahtlas7

Bored Meh GIF
Not sure about this one. It didn’t snap with me.

Codes 208

Gold Member
So is this the second game with Kevin Afghani voicing Mario? It definitely wasn't Martinet. If I really had to nitpick the voice, I'd say that he sounds raspier than Mario should. But other than that, it's fine.

It does feel weird not having Charles Martinet voicing the Big M, though.
At least hes trying, the alternative would be chris pratt

Raven77

Looks incredible as usual.

Nintendo keeps saving the game industry, year after year. There's more creativity and gameplay innovation in a a single Nintendo first party title than Sony or MS manage to put out across all games they release in a year.

Hudo

Gold Member
Sorry to ask this question but what are the differences between the Mario & Luigi games and the Paper Mario (the old ones at least...) games? Aren't they both JRPGs?

The originals werent in-house either.

Today I learnt, I feel a bit better about never jiving with the franchise now.

But I guess the older games looked like Nintendo games, this one looks off in a sort of “I’m surprised Nintendo QA signed it off” way, the font, UI and even how the characters are lit in cutscenes give it a weird off-brand vibe.

For example I never knew the previous games were not in-house, but this I could tell almost straight away.

Last edited:

Stafford

Will this have online co-op? Because this seems fun and I'd give it a chance if I can play this online with my brother who doesn't live nearby. Knowing Nintendo of course it won't have it.

Codes 208

Gold Member
Today I learnt, I feel a bit better about never jiving with the franchise now.

But I guess the older games looked like Nintendo games, this one looks off in a sort of “I’m surprised Nintendo signed it off” way, the font, UI and even how the characters are lit in cutscenes give it a weird off-brand vibe you would expected the QA team at Nintendo to catch.

For example I never knew the previous games were not in-house, but this I could tell almost straight away.
Tbf, again, the original games also felt very off-brand too because of how left field they were for mario games. Both in terms of art style and settings.

But credit where its due, luigi being a loveable cowardly clutsy goofball takes its que from both this rpg series and luigis mansion

Codes 208

Gold Member
Will this have online co-op? Because this seems fun and I'd give it a chance if I can play this online with my brother who doesn't live nearby. Knowing Nintendo of course it won't have it.
How would there be co-op? Its a single player turn-based rpg

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Sorry to ask this question but what are the differences between the Mario & Luigi games and the Paper Mario (the old ones at least...) games? Aren't they both JRPGs?
mostly the humor and artsyle, Mario and Luigi mostly stayed consistent while Paper Mario droped imo

if i remember correctly ,some Nintendo exec(i think it was Kensuke Tanabe) stated in an interview a big reason why they changed Paper Mario is because the Mario and Luigi series was considered too similar, so that was to stay the 'RPG' while Paper Mario tried something more experimental to attract new players

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
They’re both JRPGs. Mario & Luigi has:
- A lot more of a puzzle solving focus and platforming in the overworld
- No additional partners (there’s only Mario & Luigi, or whatever the playable cast is in the beginning of the game)
- A bigger focus on reactionary battles since you dodge with both Mario & Luigi simultaneously during battle and all the special moves tend to feature both characters

Those are the biggest things I can think of.

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
mostly the humor and artsyle, Mario and Luigi mostly stayed consistent while Paper Mario droped imo

if i remember correctly ,some Nintendo exec(i think it was Kensuke Tanabe) stated in an interview a big reason why they changed Paper Mario is because the Mario and Luigi series was considered too similar, so that was to stay the 'RPG' while Paper Mario tried something more experimental to attract new players

They’re both JRPGs. Mario & Luigi has:
- A lot more of a puzzle solving focus and platforming in the overworld
- No additional partners (there’s only Mario & Luigi, or whatever the playable cast is in the beginning of the game)
- A bigger focus on reactionary battles since you dodge with both Mario & Luigi simultaneously during battle and all the special moves tend to feature both characters

Those are the biggest things I can think of.
Thank you lads. Then it seems this could be one for me.

Robb

Gold Member
I totally missed this in the trailer, but seems like they’re keeping the ‘DS functionality’ where you have Luigi and Mario on different screens and control them separately.
pmnB3TI.jpeg

Hopefully it works well enough.

Also love how expressive they’ve made them in this:
F8d7KhO.jpeg

They’ve really captured the style well. I hope we get some funny high res versions of failed Bros. moves during battle.
7543.png

Andyliini

Gold Member
I wonder who is developing this, since AlphaDream is no more. The animations are very Next Level Games -like, but many former AlphaDream employees now work at Monolith Soft, so it might be them, too. Guess we can only wait and see, but the game looks creative and fun RPG. Bring it on.

Top Bottom