• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Movie biggest global opening of all time for an animated film

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...mario-bros-movie-box-office-bloom-1235372144/

The April box office is in full bloom thanks to the astounding performance of The Super Mario Bros. Movie, which served up the biggest global opening of all time for an animated film, with $375.6 million over the long Easter holiday. And it is showing no sign of slowing down as it prepares to jump to the next level and clear the $500 million mark globally in the next few days.

what-confused.gif

kicker

Banned
Does anyone believe any another animated videogame movie (that isn't fortnite, pokemon or roblox) will come close to these numbers?

I understand being excited because a videogame ip one likes is doing well, but people realise it's selling because it's a mario movie right?

Now imagine what a Zelda movie can do it’ll be up there with avatar as one of the biggest movies of all time no doubt about it
Why do you believe a hypothetical zelda movie would outsell this?

Last edited:

Beechos

It's sad when I saw this movie on the premiere date. Theres a scene that pays homage to 2d mario which is what nintendo games would look and play like if their devs had modern hardware to work with.

Robb

Gold Member
It’s beating out Disney? I definitely expected it to do well, but that’s insane.

A sequel is guaranteed now I guess, and more movies from other franchises to boot. A Luigi’s Mansion movie would be cool.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It's sad when I saw this movie on the premiere date. Theres a scene that pays homage to 2d mario which is what nintendo games would look and play like if their devs had modern hardware to work with.
The beauty of 2D Mario is how well it works regardless of tech.
Also, a 4K New Super Mario Bros would pretty much look like what you’re referring to, and gamers were very very lukewarm about those games (which, btw, played exactly as well as expected).

hlm666

The beauty of 2D Mario is how well it works regardless of tech.
Also, a 4K New Super Mario Bros would pretty much look like what you’re referring to, and gamers were very very lukewarm about those games (which, btw, played exactly as well as expected).
somehow that quote got quoted as me when it appears to have been B Beechos you were replying to.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
With all the superhero movies tanking will this cause movie studios to chase up more game franchises now?

I think this along with the critical acclaim of The Last of Us on HBO will probably encourage more than a few studios to explore some video game properties for live action treatment, yea. I think Metal Gear is an obvious choice for a drama thriller television series, for example.

Smiggs

I think this along with the critical acclaim of The Last of Us on HBO will probably encourage more than a few studios to explore some video game properties for live action treatment, yea. I think Metal Gear is an obvious choice for a drama thriller television series, for example.
I think that could definitely be interesting to see, but I wonder if they've ever thought about doing... oh, I don't know, something new and original instead? I've got no issue with rehashing old ideas or superhero movies (even if I don't like them personally), I'm just tired of the overall creatively bankrupt output we've mostly gotten for quite a few years (decades?) now.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
I’m not sure why anyone is shocked by this.
It’s a Mario movie. One of the most known characters, and it can be watched by any age. It’s guaranteed to make a killing.

Now imagine what a Zelda movie can do it’ll be up there with avatar as one of the biggest movies of all time no doubt about it
Zelda isn’t anywhere near as renowned as Mario.
A movie would be nice but it’d never do what Mario can.

hlm666

Amazon seems to be all in on those military thriller kind of things maybe they will take a run at it. I would like to see a dead space movie/series, don't get enough scifi/space horror things.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I liked the movie, but it's not gonna surpass 1 billion I think. It needs to perform better internationally..

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Video game movies are back Mario has its movie it’s a respected franchise movie theaters and Hollywood are bouncing back and over the pandemic.

Top Bottom